Type keyword(s) to search

Farewell, Late Night's Cranky Dad

Same here. I was fine until the Foo Fighters played Everlong, and I lost it.

I haven't watched as much as I used to, but knew he'd run clips from the old shows this last month. The kid stuff has always been my favorite. From just chatting with them to Kid Scientists.

I swear I almost fell off the sofa laughing at the kid telling him about the "upholstery farm where you buy turkeys".

• Love 2

I swear I almost fell off the sofa laughing at the kid telling him about the "upholstery farm where you buy turkeys".

I loved that kid and the kid that said, "Accidents happen."  I never watched the Late Show, so all of clips were new to me.  My biggest take away from the finale was that they should have made Chris Rock the new host.  I say that as a hardcore Stephen Colbert fan.

I'm not one who's prone to get emotional during TV finales, but I'll confess - I lost it a little bit during the show open when Alan Kalter introduced Dave as "A boy from a small town in Indiana", and then a lot during Dave's final thank-yous at the end of the show. Because of that, I didn't pay close attention to the photo montage - so when I watched the embedded clip above, I lost it all over again - especially when the photos slowed for favorite guests no longer with us - among them, Robin Williams, Joan Rivers, Tony Randall, Lou Reed, and Warren Zevon.

• Love 3

Tara's right. The Dave With Kids montage was fantastic. I lost it at the girl scientist who used "ordinary day-to-day pickles" for her experiment. Swear to god I never thought Foo Fighters performing Everlong would make me cry.

Letterman started on Late Night when I was 12 or so. I'm way too old to lament my youth but this feels like such a final curtain on my generation. Also grateful that these retrospectives reminded me of Monkey Cam which was ridiculous and made me laugh so much.

• Love 2
(edited)

I laugh-cried all the way through the kids montage. It was both because I could remember seeing every one of those segments live and because it's all over, at least in this format.

Edited by LJonEarth
  • Love 2

I started tearing up when he showed all the clips I remembered watching in junior high/high school, started sniffling when he introduced his family, started crying when he talked about the open-heart surgery, and started full-on sobbing when the Foo Fighters began to play. I thought I had cried a lot during Colbert's last show but that didn't compare to the snotty, weepy mess I was last night. That was rough.

I actually remember watching Dave's short-lived, deeply weird daytime show when I was in college. That subversive stuff carried over to his late night incarnations, which kept me company when my babies were fussy or I couldn't sleep during the disintegration of my marriage. While I have not watched in recent years, it was a nostalgic weep-fest to watch the finale. To all those much younger folks who grew up in an irony-saturated, memeable, meta-everything world, Dave did it first.

• Love 6

I didn't watch every night, but just knowing Letterman was there (since I was nine years old, how is that possible?) was all I needed. Best years watching were in my first apartment on my first parent-independent t.v. (never would I be forced to watch Leno again).

The montage did me in. Miss you already, Dave. 

• Love 1

Thanks to Tara for reminding me about Dave being forced to have all the Survivor cast-offs on the show ... he eventually made them stand on the side of the stage while Stephanie asked them if they had seen or touched any monkeys. And I laughed, every week.

• Love 3
(edited)

I remember how during the first season of Survivor, Dave would just complain to every cast-off that it better not be the "naked fat guy" who ends up winning.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 1
(edited)

He stuck them in the Hello Deli, too. I appreciated his disdain for it.

This is one area Jimmy Kimmel differs from his hero. He happily (at least when I check in) continues to plug Dancing with the Stars, Bachelor/Bachelorette , Scandal cast members almost non stop. Job security I suppose.

Edited by GaryE
(edited)

This is one area Jimmy Kimmel differs from his hero. He happily (at least when I check in) continues to plug Dancing with the Stars, Bachelor/Bachelorette , Scandal cast members almost non stop. Job security I suppose.

Scandal: It's okay that he does Scandal-related stuff. I think one of his highest-rated episodes ever was one entirely devoted to Scandal. (Well, he was recently a little excessive in his Scandal "dream sequences).

He doesn't do Dancing that much, but on a recent episode, talk of The Bachelorette was at the top of the show, which was annoying. At least put in later in the monologue.

(Another thing he was loyal to: American Idol. Idol was utterly irrelevant this year. Nobody gave a damn, yet in the middle of the season nobody was talking about, he had on all the judges, and later had on Ryan Seacrest.)

I'm a huge fan of Kimmel, but he -- unlike Letterman -- is A) very social and B) a celebrity kiss-ass. He vacations with Jennifer Aniston in Mexico (he's pals with her boyfriend), he helps George Clooney with his pranks, he invites Tom Cruise over for his big NFL Sunday parties, he cooks pizza for Oprah at his house, he'll visit Julia Louis-Dreyfus' son's school for a mock talk show, and he invited Ben Affleck and Matt Damon to his wedding.

Being pals with celebs does pay off. When Daniel Kellison, Kimmel's first executive producer -- who recently penned a piece about his experience working on Letterman and a stoned Madonna -- was forced out, Kimmel turned to Regis Philbin. Reege recommended a woman named Jill Leiderman, who's been Kimmel's exeuctive producer for almost a decade.

Edited by nowandlater
(edited)

Scandal: It's okay that he does Scandal-related stuff. I think one of his highest-rated episodes ever was one entirely devoted to Scandal. (Well, he was recently a little excessive in his Scandal "dream sequences).

He doesn't do Dancing that much, but on a recent episode, talk of The Bachelorette was at the top of the show, which was annoying. At least put in later in the monologue.

(Another thing he was loyal to: American Idol. Idol was utterly irrelevant this year. Nobody gave a damn, yet in the middle of the season nobody was talking about, he had on all the judges, and later had on Ryan Seacrest.)

I'm a huge fan of Kimmel, but he -- unlike Letterman -- is A) very social and B) a celebrity kiss-ass. He vacations with Jennifer Aniston in Mexico (he's pals with her boyfriend), he helps George Clooney with his pranks, he invites Tom Cruise over for his big NFL Sunday parties, he cooks pizza for Oprah at his house, he'll visit Julia Louis-Dreyfus' son's school for a mock talk show, and he invited Ben Affleck and Matt Damon to his wedding.

OK, fair enough. As I referenced, I'm not a regular.

Edit-Except the unnecessary censorship. I try to catch that.

Edited by GaryE