Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Those We Have Lost from the Music Industry

• Start Topic

I'm still looking for confirmation past a Tweet from Blake Shelton, but he posted about a half hour ago that 80's country star Earl Thomas Conley had died (ETC is his all time favorite country star).

If this is true...what a loss. What a TALENT. "Holding Her and Loving You" is one of my all time favorite country songs. RIP, ETC! 😢

Update: His brother Fred apparently confirmed his passing. 😞 

• Love 2

It's worth noting that ETC's greatest success in country came in the 1980's, perhaps the most criminally underrated decade in country music history, due in no small part to both the infamous Urban Cowboy era during the early years of that decade, and the unprecedented commercial boom that the country music of the 1990's would see (brought on largely by the so-called Class of 1989, in which the debut albums of Clint Black, Garth Brooks, and Alan Jackson were all released). But make no mistake, he made his mark.

I posted this in the general Celebrity Deaths thread, but I'll post it here too; the "You Can't Make Old Friends" video, complete with intro and outro by Kenny and Dolly, talking about what the project means to them, and what they mean to each other:

• Love 1

Two more losses for the country music world, both from two of the genre's most well-known bands. The first was former Oak Ridge Boys member Gary McSpadden, who died of cancer on April 15th at the age of 77:

https://tasteofcountry.com/gary-mcspadden-dead-dies-oak-ridge-boys/

And tonight, Harold Reid of the Statler Brothers has passed away from kidney failure at the age of 80.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/harold-reid-statler-brothers-bass-singer-dies-80-70342922

I've never been real big on the Oak Ridge Boys (I DESPISE the song "Elvira", but I do love "Bobbie Sue"), but I LOVE the Statler Brothers. RIP, gentlemen. 😢 

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Upon REALLY listening to "Into The Night", it's actually kind of creepy. But I still liked the song if I didn't use that filter.

I was once shuffling through songs on my iPod, saw "Into the Night", Billy Idol's "Cradle of Love", and Gary Puckett and the Union Gap's "Young Girl" all within a few songs of each other, and thought, "Jesus Christ, I've got a statutory rape playlist going here."

• LOL 3

A long, long time ago, in the early-mid 2000's when I was still a teenager, long before I became a country music fan (yes, despite many of my posts here, believe it or not, there was a time when I didn't yet listen to country music, which I'm sure many people would prefer would still be true today, given how much I can yammer on about it, lol), I fell in love with southern rock. And Charlie Daniels absolutely played a role in that, and I have ALWAYS loved how much of a legend he is in both rock AND country, especially, of course, with his signature song here. RIP.

• Love 3
(edited)

Regrettably I don't recall many of Ennio's scores other than from "The Mission", and "Once Upon a Time in the West"

But this track certainly stands out

Edited by Zola
  • Love 2