Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Girl Meets The Secret Of Life

Yea! Cory is acting like an adult!

Loved the Feeny shoutout too.

Heck yea! This is my FAVORITE episode so far. And it didn't have to rely on any BMW characters to prop it up (other than Cory and Topanga). They finally found their groove. It reminded me of BMW, but in it's own way. I hope they can keep it up!

The ending was priceless ;).

And glad everyone is acting like people and not overly Disneyfied people!

• Love 4

That problem about washing the car together was from BMW, right? Feeny gave them the same problem?  I loved Cory explaining why he doesn't want to try and be just like Feeny.

Those references are the only reason I'm watching, so I hope they keep them up.

• Love 2

That problem about washing the car together was from BMW, right? Feeny gave them the same problem?  I loved Cory explaining why he doesn't want to try and be just like Feeny.

Those references are the only reason I'm watching, so I hope they keep them up.

Good catch. I didn't remember that one. Me too. He respects him but lets his students know he's doing things his way. I'm glad that they finally explained why he teaches the way he does.

Same here for the most part.

And Cory and Topanga were themselves! Not over the top. Loved it :).

• Love 1

I'm 20-some years past the target demographic.  I only started watching the show for whatever scraps of Shawn & Cory and FEEEE-NAAAY! they might throw at us.

Who knew it was actually gonna get good??

• Love 4

This is why I keep watching the show.  Best episode so far.  Corey was finally being mature (even though silly at times).  The rest of the family are also enjoyable and believable.  Not sure about Auggie's tantrum, but it was kinda cute.

• Love 1

That matched up really well with him defending Farkle last season. I believe he could get himself in trouble defending a friend.

Best exchange:

"Do they know you're a year older?"

"Yes. Now they do."

"Like that's my fault. Look at ya!"

• Love 6
(edited)

Totally agree with betternametocome on best exchange.  Although I am curious if a school would actually hold a kid back for fighting.  Unless they stuck him in juvie, why would his parents not have enrolled him in a different school to finish out the grade?  I know I am overthinking this, but I AM glad they address Lucas looking older.  Although....why is his best friend in the same grade if he only got left back last year?  And where was this "best friend" during last year's video during the campaign for class president?  I wonder if this new kid is going to join the cast and be a part of the group.  It would be nice to add a new friend for the foursome to hang with.

Am I the only one who has noticed Farkle had a growth spurt?  I noticed last episode too but it really stood out to me when he was standing next to Cory in the hall while Lucas was confronting NotHarleyKiner.  Oh, and I was seriously impressed with Lucas as a badass.  He was intimidating as hell when he was telling that bully he would be the one to walk away.  I guess Maya thought so too by her reaction.  :) 

Edited by ladyrott
  • Love 5

Seeing some improvement in S2 :)

Farkles voice is getting deeper.

I like the way Cory dodged the question about Lucas from Riley. "You knew ( About Lucas) and you didn't tell me!"

too right he didn't.. I did like the way he dodged the specifics though.

Frankly speaking what Cory the teacher knows about Lucas's history is none of Rileys business.

Oh and Lucas wasn't all that badass. You grab someone the way he did and you run the very real risk of getting headbutted across the nose, the eyes water up and you may get a bloody nose and after that it's pretty much all over because your hands either go to the eyes to wipe the tears or your nose to feel the injury.

I mean it was meant to look good so we'll go with that :)

• Love 2

I love that Farkle's answer, mathematically, was absolutely correct (in BMW, Minkus's was not). I doubt one in a thousand eighth graders would be able to even figure out how to set up that problem and use the correct approach to attempt to solve it... actually SOLVING it in, like, a second is savant stuff.

I know, they played it for laughs, but I was a little annoyed at Cory when he was like, "Wrong," because I'm pretty sure he DOESN'T know the math involved in solving it nor know the correct "on paper" answer, and Farkle's answer was so impressive that he deserved better. "Yes, but no" or something of that ilk would have been more fair.

Sorry... former math teacher and math minor here. :P

• Love 2

I love that Farkle's answer, mathematically, was absolutely correct (in BMW, Minkus's was not). I doubt one in a thousand eighth graders would be able to even figure out how to set up that problem and use the correct approach to attempt to solve it... actually SOLVING it in, like, a second is savant stuff.

I am pretty sure many adults could not solve it but anybody that has watched Little Big League should be able to solve it (A X B)/(A + B). Still one of my favorite scenes with Jonathon Silverman

I thought the scene between Lucas and the bully was laughably bad, I mean, the acting was okay, but casting wise. The actor playing the bully was so clearly older, taller, and thicker than Peyton/Lucas that the idea of him actually being overpowered and intimidated was just beyond ridiculous to me.

• Love 1

I thought the scene between Lucas and the bully was laughably bad, I mean, the acting was okay, but casting wise. The actor playing the bully was so clearly older, taller, and thicker than Peyton/Lucas that the idea of him actually being overpowered and intimidated was just beyond ridiculous to me.

Yea. But it's GMW, so I kind of just ignored it as much as I could.

• Love 1

I loved the last outfit that Riley was wearing. Everything else she wore in this episode was awful.

I really liked Zay and would like to see him and Maya team up to snark on everyone around them. Lucas totally brought it during that confrontation scene. It was probably the best acting I've seen from him yet.

The car wash scene was also fantastic and definitely lightened what was a heavier episode. Looking forward to watching the rest of the episodes this week.

• Love 3
(edited)

So it seems like the show really took all the jokes about how Lucas looks too old to be in middle school to heart and came up with an explanation. "Like it's my fault? Look at you!" I hope this new kid sticks around. He's adding some balance there, and I like that the show keeps pointing out how bizarre their depiction of school is.

I really liked the joke about the bully being 20. Shades of Corey's bully looking way, way too old to be in that high school.

Although....why is his best friend in the same grade if he only got left back last year?  And where was this "best friend" during last year's video during the campaign for class president?

You can have best friends outside of your original grade.

But yes, don't think too hard about continuity. Just roll with it.

I'm going to fanwank that Ranger Rick comes off as wooden and stiff because he is very careful about what he says and does because he doesn't want to lose his shit again.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

I agree that the actor playing Zay was excellent.  I think all these kids have improved, actually.  As someone who knows Lucas better than the others, I think the Zay character can add something to the group.  I hope they keep him around.  As far as the "Disney Lesson", I think this one was really well done.  I was getting seriously pissed at Riley's acting like Lucas is magically a different person because she found out he made a mistake.  I got a giggle out of Lucas talking to her like she was a nervous horse in the car wash scene.  She IS a big high strung.  :)

• Love 4

Whatever Rowan did over the break has done wonders to her. Not only has she improved on the acting but she and the Lucas actor have actual chemistry now. The Lucas actor is getting better as well. Also the bully looked older than Cory so how is he in middle school?

Can the show keep Zay? He's funny. He's Maya-lite but she probably can still beat him up.

I don't think Riley was mad at who Lucas use to be. I think she was mad that he kept the secret which I'm ok with.

• Love 3

I don't think Riley was mad at who Lucas use to be. I think she was mad that he kept the secret which I'm ok with.

Well, that was what Riley kept SAYING she was mad about, but then she kept saying things like "tell me you are the person I thought you were".  I didn't have a problem with her saying "why would you hide something from me?" but I had a huge issue with the other.  I love Disney shows and, although I am way above the target demographic, I can usually remember what it was like to be a teenager and relate to whatever is happening, to an extent.  But in this case, Riley just came off as bratty and ridiculous to me.   

• Love 1

I agree with you ladyrott.  Riley really rubbed me the wrong way in this episode and I love Riley.  She made everything about her and the whole situation had absolutely nothing to do with her.  Whether Lucas wanted to tell her what happened at his old school was completely up to him and it was rude of her to act like she should have known all along.  That he was somehow a different person because he didn't tell her every little thing about himself.  

I don't think Peyton is that wooden but I do like to think that his politeness is a choice.  That he has to try really hard to make better choices and that we might see more of what he was like before he transferred.

Yep Riley came off as if she had a obligation to know all the deep dark secrets of Lucas's life and they aren't even dating.!!

Seriously they aren't even all that close. I know if someone was acting like she felt obligated to know some of my past and was pestering me to share it and I didn't really know her it'd put me off.

• Love 1