Type keyword(s) to search

Season 11 Anticipation More Stabs, etc...

• Start Topic

The law of averages says I'm going to regret asking this, but insulting? Totally seriously, unless you have some innate bias against South Park, how do you come to that conclusion?

Never seen South Park, but it makes a beautiful women look ugly.

Never seen South Park, but it makes a beautiful women look ugly.

Ah, if you've never seen South Park then it wouldn't make sense. It's a characterature. Sort of like when someone makes "chibi" versions of a person or character. There is a certain style that South Park uses and the characters fit in to certain molds. South Park is a comedy show that uses crude humor and seems to make an effort to insult as many people as they can. The characters are not supposed to look pretty.

This is the program I used to generate the character (and then I edited it in MS Paint to try to get it to have some features that made it bit less generic).

• Love 2

It is hooey. By the 3rd or 4th episode, they bring in her fiance, and I've seen a photo of him, he's cute. I'll see if I can link it tomorrow, so you can see for yourself, but, trust me, she's not Reid's honey.

• Love 4

Noticed a significant uptick in MGG's social media postings.  In the past, it's seemed to come when he is gearing up (for a project, or directing) or when he is completely bored.  The gearing up would excite me, the 'bored', concern me, as regards the new season.  Anybody know which it is?

• Love 3

I know the newbie is only suppose to be a recurring character,but does anyone besides me feel as if they might be considering making her a full time character.

I mean just look at the way they are promoting her. Nearly all the promo pictures for the season opener are of her. I guess I really need to wait and see the first episode. Plus it could be a case where the actress just has too much on her plate at the moment to be able to commit to the show full time.

• Love 2

Daniel, I suppose there is a slight possibility of that being the case. And I'm sure many,many fans will be greatly relieved.But some may also feel like they been jerked around and had their emotions toyed with. I am hoping that is not the case. Because unfortunately any backlash that may occur some of it will definitely come Matthew's way.

• Love 2

From what we have consistently heard, Aisha is only supposed to be around to cover AJ's maternity leave, and that will likely only be the first five or six episodes. Since Matthew is not scheduled to direct any one of the first seven episodes (and we don't know exactly which one he is directing), Aisha should be long gone by the time he directs. Plus, since her character was always touted as temporary, it would be no big change for her to leave. I still think it is one of the core cast.

• Love 1

Insert cartoon of Batman smacking Robin...

J-r-williams-batman-slap-robin.jpg

200_s.gif

72199c469a988b99e5dd25994b770d4e.jpg

a159314900f78944f1302ac88addd8f6.jpg

02490b3faaa1eff93d29214490520915.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help myself. LOL.

Btw, Jim Clemente is solo writing episode 7, directed by Glenn Kershaw. It's called "Target Rich". I believe someone mentioned that AJ was back on set or scheduled to be back on set so she might be back for episode 6. So, Aisha might depart prior to Gube directing.

• Love 5

Thank you, zannej, I feel better....

Also, I have to think that, if Morgan goes in mid-season, they may invite Dr. Whatsherface to step back in permanently. Maybe that's what they're hoping, that she'll get a good response. 

She won't with me if she simply takes JJ's accustomed place of doing everything perfectly and making even Spencer look superfluous.

• Love 3

Thank you, zannej, I feel better....

Also, I have to think that, if Morgan goes in mid-season, they may invite Dr. Whatsherface to step back in permanently. Maybe that's what they're hoping, that she'll get a good response. 

She won't with me if she simply takes JJ's accustomed place of doing everything perfectly and making even Spencer look superfluous.

It's the same with me. Have you seen that newly realized promo video. I can honestly say I am already fed up with her before the first episode has aired. I swear I see another Mary Sue in the making.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 3

My take is that ever since Messer got in charge of the show the cast ensemble is mostly considered an accessory.

Everything is about the guest stars (hence, the increase in 'unsub' time) and the newest character, plus her two/three favourites. The only exception was Tripplehorn's character, but that was probably because she didnt have a thing to say when they hired that actress.

I honestly didn't know who was this Aisha Tyler is, and now the only things I know is that she was in a bunch of shows I never watched, and that nowadays she works in a talk show, which I never watched neither. That, and that she will be a character in Criminal Minds.

My perception is that they are promoting her like any other star that has been guest starring in the show before. The only difference is that she is staying after 10PM.

Maybe you see something I am missing?

• Love 3

My take is that ever since Messer got in charge of the show the cast ensemble is mostly considered an accessory.

Everything is about the guest stars (hence, the increase in 'unsub' time) and the newest character, plus her two/three favourites. The only exception was Tripplehorn's character, but that was probably because she didnt have a thing to say when they hired that actress.

I honestly didn't know who was this Aisha Tyler is, and now the only things I know is that she was in a bunch of shows I never watched, and that nowadays she works in a talk show, which I never watched neither. That, and that she will be a character in Criminal Minds.

My perception is that they are promoting her like any other star that has been guest starring in the show before. The only difference is that she is staying after 10PM.

Nope I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. Thing is E.M. wouldn't be able to do any of this without CBS's blessing. The network probably doesn't see a thing wrong with the way she runs the show since the ratings have remained pretty steady.

• Love 4

While I can't quite see how the purported background of the new character gels with her being in the field, I will wait to see if they have come up with something believable.  

As to how much presence she'll have:  I don't know how else they are supposed to introduce a new character except by spending some script and screen time on her.  I'd rather that, than what they did with Kate.  I felt like I was waiting all season to find out more about her, and then, poof, she was gone.  

AT's character will have to have some talent, or Hotch won't have a reason to select her from among other applicants.  So, I assume we'll see that talent featured to one degree or another.  It's inherent to the process of storytelling.

As long as it passes the Reid-meter, I'm in.

Edited by JustMyOpinion
  • Love 4

The promo video, in case others haven't seen it. :)

http://tvline.com/2015/09/01/criminal-minds-season-11-promo-aisha-tyler/

First of all, thank you for sharing the video. I just had no idea they were already promoting the new season.

And for the video itself,... Well... I am about to spoil the video, so you've been warned.

Unsub time,

Angry Morgan...

Savvy Morgan...

Victim and unsub time...

Wise Hotch...

Horrible pinky Garcia, mouth gaping as usual...

The new agent, delivering some lines...

Meditative (aka Mute) Hotch...

Action Superman cMorgan...

More 'new agent"

Action Man Rossi...

Oh, wait! Reid's nose!

Then Action scene with a bonus explosion...

Despite the temporary exit of AJ Cook, the format is intact!

How nice,,,

• Love 7

First of all, thank you for sharing the video. I just had no idea they were already promoting the new season.

And for the video itself,... Well... I am about to spoil the video, so you've been warned.

Unsub time,

Angry Morgan...

Savvy Morgan...

Victim and unsub time...

Wise Hotch...

More 'new agent"

Action Man Rossi...

Oh, wait! Reid's nose!

How nice,,,

LOL. Seriously. You have summed it up perfectly.

• Love 6

Unsub time,

Angry Morgan...

Savvy Morgan...

Victim and unsub time...

Wise Hotch...

More 'new agent"

Action Man Rossi...

Oh, wait! Reid's nose!

How nice,,,

LOL

could someone help me with a doubt, please? there are words I don't understand well without subtitles; usually, the whole scene helps me with that, but with promos... are they involving Morgan's heritage in this storyline, I've thought of that because of the black and white make up

LOL

could someone help me with a doubt, please? there are words I don't understand well without subtitles; usually, the whole scene helps me with that, but with promos... are they involving Morgan's heritage in this storyline, I've thought of that because of the black and white make up

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Morgan - it's the unsub doing that, isn't it?

Also, it seems like they're just trying to promote the most outlandish stories going for shock value rather than good storytelling.

• Love 3

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Morgan - it's the unsub doing that, isn't it?

Also, it seems like they're just trying to promote the most outlandish stories going for shock value rather than good storytelling.

Thanks!

And totally agree, poor research and lazy writing.

• Love 4
AT's character will have to have some talent, or Hotch won't have a reason to select her from among other applicants.  So, I assume we'll see that talent featured to one degree or another.  It's inherent to the process of storytelling.

Somebody should have told Seaver that. XD

• Love 5

Somebody should have told Seaver that. XD

...Excuuuuuuuse you - she was the daughter of a serial killer - as IF there was anyone else able to give the BAU the precise, damning and qualified assessments of the serial-killer-of-the-week despite her not yet being through basic training! Duh...

(Just wanted to qualify that was absolute sarcasm AND that I have nothing against Rachel Nicols AND I completely abhor the way she was treated/fired on Twitter AND have so much sympathy for the fact she was yet another victim of the CM writers plus network interference vis-a-vis the Paget-AJ-Firing to hire a young blonde to match the spinoff which made everyone hate her AND...jeez, this damn post-season-5 show. But I hold nothing against the actress and ALL of it against the show's writers and especially the network).

• Love 6

I honestly don't think this is anywhere near the mark. Any time I've watched recently the ensemble is still quite clearly to the fore.

Aisha Tyler is a great addition to that ensemble, it's great to see the show bring in more women, especially women of colour.

It seems to me most posters here don't want an ensemble, they want a show with Reid as the star, and that's fair enough. I like Reid, but he only works as a supporting character, that's the great thing about this show, that's true of every one of the main characters.

(Just wanted to qualify that was absolute sarcasm AND that I have nothing against Rachel Nicols AND I completely abhor the way she was treated/fired on Twitter AND have so much sympathy for the fact she was yet another victim of the CM writers plus network interference vis-a-vis the Paget-AJ-Firing to hire a young blonde to match the spinoff which made everyone hate her AND...jeez, this damn post-season-5 show. But I hold nothing against the actress and ALL of it against the show's writers and especially the network).

For all of CBS' "Look howw sexist we're not!" blather as it relates to this show, they don't seem to treat their actresses very well, do they? Besides the Paget and AJ fired-then-hired-then-Paget's-leaving-again thing, there's Nichols and Tripplehorn's respective debacles. As for Seaver, I minded her less than I could have, as the writers pretty much screwed her over right out of the gate, and she never recovered from it.

It seems to me most posters here don't want an ensemble, they want a show with Reid as the star, and that's fair enough. I like Reid, but he only works as a supporting character, that's the great thing about this show, that's true of every one of the main characters.

I'm goinng to say this fairly gently, because it's eight in the morning and the coffee hasn't really kicked in - Reid was never a supporting character. Ever. I respect your right to have whatever opinion you have, but I remember when Spencer's contributions to solving cases were important, even vital. There used to be a reason the show is called Criminal Minds, and it wasn't because of Morgan's door-kicking abilities or JJ's kicky-fighty ninjaness. JJ and Garcia were the supporting characters, but Reid never disappeared into the ether halfway through an episode until fairly recently.

• Love 9

I thought that it seemed most posters here were in favor of the TEAM getting more screentime (or at least quality time) with good and meaningful contributions. Some have said they could watch a program all about Reid, but that doesn't mean that "most" of the people want it to be just about Reid.

What worked for me in the beginning was how the team worked together and the unsubs weren't revealed until nearly the end. Now we almost never get that because they spend so much time showing the unsubs.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the show gets off to a good start and that the promos are wrong about the team absolutely needing a "new mind" to solve the case. She could just help a little, but the team shouldn't be completely inept without her.

• Love 9

I'm goinng to say this fairly gently, because it's eight in the morning and the coffee hasn't really kicked in - Reid was never a supporting character. Ever. I respect your right to have whatever opinion you have, but I remember when Spencer's contributions to solving cases were important, even vital. There used to be a reason the show is called Criminal Minds, and it wasn't because of Morgan's door-kicking abilities or JJ's kicky-fighty ninjaness. JJ and Garcia were the supporting characters, but Reid never disappeared into the ether halfway through an episode until fairly recently.

Reid was always a supporting character. In the beginning he was very much the exposition fairy, the leads then were Hotch and Gideon. Focus may have changed slightly but Reid's not really changed that much for me.

Reid was always a supporting character. In the beginning he was very much the exposition fairy, the leads then were Hotch and Gideon. Focus may have changed slightly but Reid's not really changed that much for me.

Simply stated, he wasn't. He was just as much "main cast" as Morgan.

This element of the discussion feels familiar.

• Love 5

Regardless of how it's billed up front, or the credits, or whatever, it's an ensemble show.  Functionally, they are all main characters and they are all supporting characters, with the nature of their role varying week to week.  When the premise of the show is that of a team working together, that's how it should be.  

The real argument lies in whether we think they rotate sufficiently between supporting and main.  You probably know what I think.  I'd be perfectly happy if it was a show called, "The Genius...And Those Other People".

• Love 10

For all of CBS' "Look howw sexist we're not!" blather as it relates to this show, they don't seem to treat their actresses very well, do they? Besides the Paget and AJ fired-then-hired-then-Paget's-leaving-again thing, there's Nichols and Tripplehorn's respective debacles. As for Seaver, I minded her less than I could have, as the writers pretty much screwed her over right out of the gate, and she never recovered from it.

A milion Amens! to your post, Gazer!

• Love 7

Well, I agree with your sentiment, but the reason the show is called Criminal Minds is because of the... criminal's minds... not Reid's. 

Even though I'd watch a whole series just about him, I would. Oh, I would. 

(well, Hotch should be there too. Reid and Hotch! But not like THAT that... just Reid and Hotch. Spinoff!)

• Love 5

Saje, I believe the original concept of Criminal Minds' name had as much to do with the profilers' minds as it did about the criminals' minds - something on the order of having to think like a criminal to catch a criminal. Profiling being all about getting into the psychology of the killer...

But, yeah, I'd watch a Reid/Hotch spinoff, if it was Matthew and Thomas... although i agree with zannej's earlier statement that most of us really want the show to be the ensemble show it was, with less gratuitous gore and unsubbiness.

• Love 7

I'm with MCatry- who has the stats to back it up- that CM in recent years has become “The UnSub Show” with the show's “main” characters reduced to occasional contributors (they seem to rotate between getting things to do and just being part of the scenery).

Which (and I'll say this even though it might be unpopular) wouldn't be a bad thing if the UnSubs were remotely compelling and the cases at all interesting. Most of the time the criminals seem to do things that don't make sense or are just one-note depraved creatures whose caricatures have been done to death...in short, they're just not interesting. The real problem isn't a lack of the main characters (although that's an issue all on its own) or the fact that the show is now UnSub heavy- it's the fact that these writers have ditched any sense of decently passable storytelling and have went straight for the gore, darkness, depravity or any other kind of “cheap thrill” they can think of. I recall very fondly that some of my favourite CM episodes featured the UnSub early- stuff like “Normal”, “True Night”, “Solitary Man” or “Paradise”- and if CM went back to what made those episodes work (namely having criminals that are characters not caricatures), then the current setup may just work.

The other thing is about Aisha Tyler- I'll reserve my judgement until I see the character in action, but the idea of her introduction leaves me unsettled. Erica Messer is horrible at creating characters and understanding characterization, so I'm worried that Tyler's character will just wind up arriving on the scene and “having all the answers” while the rest of the team bows in her presence. Hopefully I'm wrong but considering that was how Blake was introduced, it doesn't leave me much hope.

• Love 5

The other thing is about Aisha Tyler- I'll reserve my judgement until I see the character in action, but the idea of her introduction leaves me unsettled. Erica Messer is horrible at creating characters and understanding characterization, so I'm worried that Tyler's character will just wind up arriving on the scene and “having all the answers” while the rest of the team bows in her presence. Hopefully I'm wrong but considering that was how Blake was introduced, it doesn't leave me much hope.

I liked the way Emily was introduced - able to offer something unique to the team when she reads/speaks Arabic, which is a totally logical skill for her to have that the rest of them don't, and yet she still doesn't quite fit in at first and needs (and wants) to prove herself to the rest of the team, which she does over time.

However, I do suspect that you're absolutely correct and the new character will appear flawless and be readily welcomed as part of the "family". I'd rather she wasn't, but oh well. I think I'm inclined not to be too invested in her, knowing that she won't be sticking around, so even if all of my worst fears about her character end up to be true, I probably won't be too upset.

• Love 6