Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

I just noticed Rob Corn was on set a the chapel. He is directing 12x23. Sarah was on set as well and she tweeted she hadn't started filming the finale, BUT she was at the church. I wonder if Greys is WAY behind and still filming some scenes on 12x23.

11 minutes ago, Greysaddict said:

the church is definitely for 12x24 though (and it definitely will be raining!)  I don't understand Meredith siding with Callie AT ALL but I am going to address that in the episode thread.

1224.jpg

Ah I see maybe 12x23 flows into 12x24. Its raining in ep 23 too. I couple of crew posted BTS pictures. I wonder why Rob Corn was there then.

good point, 12x23 and 12x24 can definitely be related/together.  I remember hearing on Betsy Beer's podcast (i think) that when the episodes are connected the directors work together so maybe that is why Rob was there? 

So, so far people who have been seen at the church are:

Owen, Catherine, Stephanie, Kyle (??  so he doesn't die I guess?)

Bailey was clearly dressed in Debbie Allen's video

People also reported seeing (but no pics), Amelia, Meredith, April, Webber, Nathan

Not yet seen are: Callie, Arizona, Jackson, Ben, Maggie, Jo and Alex.   oh and Penny.

Listing that out, i still have no idea what's happening.  

Edited by Greysaddict

Totally lost as to what this church event could be now. It seems that it isn't a funeral, but who would get married? If they throw together an Alex / Jo wedding in ONE episode, I mean damn... that's new levels of getting pushed aside. Granted, every marriage on this show happened within just a few weeks / episodes, but it's 12x23 that we have Alex getting 'clarity' regarding his future with Jo. For them to be married in the next episode would be bizarre. 

If it is a funeral, I'm just as confused as to who it would be. These next few episodes should be interesting at the very least. 

Any chance it could be Penny's funeral (fingers crossed)? That would keep Callie in Seattle, give her a big, emotional storyline, and fit with her pattern -- "everybody I marry either cheats or dies, or cheats and dies."

They've really backburnered Callie though this year. She's had a completely different presence this year in comparison to previous years where she always had a meaty storyline and centric episode. 

Episode 12.24 - Family Affair
Meredith and Maggie offer Amelia support; Jo admits she's been keeping things from Alex; Arizona and Callie deal with the effects of their custody arrangement.

So the court is giving sole custody to one of them in the next episode? Well, it can't not be Callie, it's not even remotely debatable. This makes me even more certain that Penny will eventually walk away alone because she sees how much Arizona cares for Sofia and she doesn't want to break a family apart and so on. 

Jo admits she's been keeping things from Alex

LOL, so they get no story or screen time all season, the bigger moments take place off screen but in the finale suddenly Jo's got a secret. We've barely seen her all season (2 seasons really) so who knows what she's been keeping from him. We'll probably find out in a 30 second scene.

Meredith and Maggie offer Amelia support

Why does Amelia need support, are she an Owen done? 

Agree, Joanna.  If Sara isn't leaving then it will be Penny who breaks it off.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Kate213 said:

Guests for 12x24: Eva Ariel Binder, Joe Adler, and Barbara Montgomery. 

So Sofia's in the finale, but no Penny, yay!

That irritates me, to be honest. They wasted so much screentime on her this season, and she may not be in the finale? Come on now.

As for the promo for next week. It almost looks like Arizona concedes defeat. Not that Callie "wins."

Edited by CED9
2 minutes ago, CED9 said:

That irritates me, to be honest. They wasted so much screentime on her this season, and she may not be in the finale? Come on now.

That's what I keep saying. She's been one of the most prominently featured characters this season, involved in two major storylines, and in the end she just straight up leaves, like nothing? Uhm, OK. What a waste of everyone's time. 

Also, I'm confused. Did Arizona sue for full custody? Did she really think she'd get it? In what universe would she even stand a chance and what half-respectable lawyer (assuming she didn't go to some loser desperate to make a buck who'd take on any case) would agree to represent her? 

Just now, CED9 said:

I'm all for it. I'd rather have screen time spent on just about anyone else - perhaps Penny leaves for New York or gets her head cut off in 12x23. Either way, she's more of a prop then an actual character: for Meredith, first, and then as a catalyst for this Callie / Arizona story. I've got no use for her on my screen. 

18 minutes ago, windsprints said:

LOL, so they get no story or screen time all season, the bigger moments take place off screen but in the finale suddenly Jo's got a secret. We've barely seen her all season (2 seasons really) so who knows what she's been keeping from him. We'll probably find out in a 30 second scene.

Why does Amelia need support, are she an Owen done? 

I'm just happy to see that Alex is mentioned in the press releases for the last 3 episodes, so he'll seemingly get a decent chunk of story throughout. In the next episode it's related to a patient storyline, but in the last two it seems he'll have some stuff going on with Jo. Better late than never, I guess. I do wonder what she's been keeping from him - I mean she's been offscreen basically all season, so she's had plenty of opportunity to hide things lol. 

I'm getting so tired of this Amelia and Owen merry-go-round and I hope this 'support' isn't through another break-up. This must mean the Amelia / Meredith rift happens in either 12x22 or 12x23 if Mer is back by her side in the finale.

• Love 2

While I desperately hope that Jo has been banging DeLuca on the side, I wonder if she has applied to out of state programs now that her residency is almost over. Of course, the writers would have to remember that her residency is almost over and give her a specialty, so..,

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Joana said:

So the court is giving sole custody to one of them in the next episode? Well, it can't not be Callie, it's not even remotely debatable. This makes me even more certain that Penny will eventually walk away alone because she sees how much Arizona cares for Sofia and she doesn't want to break a family apart and so on. 

Why can't it not be Callie? Arizona sued for sole physical custody, they'll be living in different states you can't have joint custody in that situation. If the show was being realistic there is no way Callie would win. The move isn't for a better job opportunity or even following a spouse, it's completely uprooting a kids life, removing her from regular contact from her other parent for some chick Callie's been dating on and off for about 6 months. They must have a joint custody agreement just now and its Callie that wants to break it, a real judge would look at her reasons and laugh her out of court.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Kate213 said:

Guests for 12x24: Eva Ariel Binder, Joe Adler, and Barbara Montgomery. 

So Sofia's in the finale, but no Penny, yay!

And no Kyle. I'm assuming he's the one who dies. Also no Debbie Allen, but she is listed in ep 23. So either Debbie got all fancy to direct or the church scene is in ep 23 which I'm leaning towards despite that sheet being listed as ep 24. Also there's a fan pic of Sarah there and she's wearing purple.  Based on the PR I'm guessing it's a wedding for Owen and Amelia and it goes badly hence her sisters supporting her.

11 minutes ago, GreysFan89 said:

Why can't it not be Callie? Arizona sued for sole physical custody, they'll be living in different states you can't have joint custody in that situation. If the show was being realistic there is no way Callie would win. The move isn't for a better job opportunity or even following a spouse, it's completely uprooting a kids life, removing her from regular contact from her other parent for some chick Callie's been dating on and off for about 6 months. They must have a joint custody agreement just now and its Callie that wants to break it, a real judge would look at her reasons and laugh her out of court.

That's something that hasn't made sense to me since the beginning of this storyline. If they have joint custody, Callie can't be so casual about moving and taking Sofia with her - wouldn't she be legally obliged to consult Arizona? She seemed surprised Arizona even wanted to have a say in that matter.

If they don't, then there's really very little Arizona can do about it and certainly any lawyer would tell her so. 

It's confusing. 

I really hope they're not suddenly giving Jo a secret that will conveniently give Jolex a quick breakup in the finale. They've put so little effort into her as a character and them as a couple that I'm Just waiting for the final nail in the coffin to be some lameass dark secret of Jos that ends with Alex dumping her all in one scene.

That way nobody blames him because it's all Jos fault. I'm waiting for either a Maggie/Alex finale hook up or else a Merlex hint because I can't see them not putting but him with one of the sisters at this point.

end rant

1 minute ago, Joana said:

That's something that hasn't made sense to me since the beginning of this storyline. If they have joint custody, Callie can't be so casual about moving and taking Sofia with her - wouldn't she be legally obliged to consult Arizona? She seemed surprised Arizona even wanted to have a say in that matter.

If they don't, then there's really very little Arizona can do about it and certainly any lawyer would tell her so. 

It's confusing. 

A lawyer wouldn't have taken the case if she didn't.

Callie seemed surprised because she often forgets people can have their own opinions and don't have to always agree with her. ;) lol 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Joana said:

It's confusing. 

I do think part of it is that after the plane crash Callie got used to making "all the decisions" so now that Arizona is "herself" again (more like S5-S6 Arizona that Callie first met as opposed to S7 doormat, S9 effed up Arizona), it's throwing Callie off because she's not the same person Callie divorced in some ways.

As for the custody thing, you would think that some arrangement would have been made at the very least after Mark died in the event that something would happen to either one of them, but they tend to do drama with no actual follow through, so I have no idea.

Edited by CED9
46 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

That way nobody blames him because it's all Jos fault. I'm waiting for either a Maggie/Alex finale hook up or else a Merlex hint because I can't see them not putting but him with one of the sisters at this point.

Ellen Pompeo made it very clear in the TvGuide article that Alex / Mer isn't happening. I guess Maggie / Alex is still a possibility. 

38 minutes ago, windsprints said:

Does anyone know the original source for that synopsis? I'm asking because it looks a little different than the normal press releases. 

SpoilerTV. It isn't a full press release, just the early synopsis. There should be an expanded version within a week or so. 

guess Maggie / Alex is still a possibility. 

I had hoped they'd given up on that but they dropped her and deluca so quickly that I'm assumimg it's because they've something else lined up.

Tbh I don't think she meant to tag 13. I thought the post meant to say 'that's a wrap for Callie for season 12' - not a goodbye post but not a confirmation of contract renewal either. It's weird if she did mean it because of the storyline her character is currently involved in, it would basically be a big spoiler that Callie doesn't go to New York.

"Arizona and Callie deal with the effects of their custody arrangement" leads me to believe that Callie must be leaving (if even just for an episode or two.) If Arizona got custody / Callie's notion to move Sofia was denied and she stayed in Seattle, then there would really be no change in the arrangement - they'd simply continue sharing custody. 

7 minutes ago, CED9 said:

The lower on the totem pole GA crew are such social media hot messes.

Yep, then the fans get all worried and they're like 'what?! I obvs didn't think you'd take my carefully worded semi-cryptic message like that!'

• Love 1

My guess is that Sofia will act out in some way ("effect of the custody arrangement") and that's ultimately what will put a stop to things.

Especially since the time jump allowed them to hire a legitimate child actor to play her now as opposed to before. She will be a part of the story as opposed to a prop that reminds you that they have a kid.

From Spoiler Room:

When will you be releasing the interview you did with Ellen Pompeo on the Grey’s Anatomy set? — QueeenEllen
Soon-ish. How about a sneak peek? Though Meredith is pushing Amelia toward Owen now, there will soon be tension between the sisters. “Meredith is a little bit… not so much jealous, as she is defensive for Derek,” Ellen Pompeo tells me. “She feels like Amelia is living Derek’s life. It’s feeling bad that Derek is not there to be able to do these things and she is. It’s more in defense of him that Amelia stepped into his life.”

All of this Is she/Isn't she Sara Ramirez stuff is getting on my nerves and giving me Heigl flashbacks.  I get that they want to milk the drama, but the tweets by her and the cast and crew, whether its trolling or just dumb mistakes, just amps up the drama and now if she stays it will almost be like a letdown to me.  I think that Callie is an important part of the show, even though she has never been one of my favorites, but the size of the cast is just too big and so I am ready for some people to leave. If it isn't going to be her then I wish that all of the baiting would just stop.  At this point, I don't think she is leaving, I don't think Jerrika is leaving and I'm not even sure about Penny.  So we are in the same boat for next season that we are for this one, and once Megan and more secret daughters/sisters/uncles show up we will be even worse off.  Yay.  And if she does leave, then unless Megan is bisexual someone else will be brought in for Arizona.

Of course Jo is keeping secrets from Alex, they never see each other except when they have sex.  There are a million things that I would love for this to be from her past or even from Alex's past (damn those Izzie eggs!!) but I think it will just be something dumb like she has applied to a program out of state and the cliffhanger will be if she will leave or not because clearly Alex will never leave Seattle. The three remaining Jo/Jolex fans are really going to be on the edge of their seat for that one, especially considering that there didn't seem to be a problem when she applied for that grant.  Maybe Alex knew that she would never get it considering all of the attendees hated her 5 minutes ago.  

I don't think that the church stuff is for a real wedding or a funeral, maybe a flashback/forward of some kind since McKee is involved in at least one of the last two episodes and they seem to be connected.  I hope its an exorcism.  

Well, clearly my Grey's fatigue is in overdrive this morning, which makes sense since it has been going on since about November LOL!  

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Joana said:

So it's occurred to me now, breaking up with Kyle via a note is the horrible thing Stephanie does? LOL. 

I think the horrible thing is more why she broke up with him; MS is a degenerative disease, meaning his condition will only continue to get worse (he'll likely eventually lose the ability to walk on his own, could lose total hand / arm function, etc.) Steph left him because she was unwilling to be by his side through the illness. It's not necessarily that she just left him with a note, but that she left him with a note while he was in the hospital and for the sole reason that she feared watching him continue to grow more ill. 

On 4/29/2016 at 10:04 PM, LexieLily said:

Why is Meredith of all people advocating for Callie to follow Penny across the country and to deprive her daughter of her other mother for a year?

My memory of prior Grey's seasons is admittedly rusty, but Meredith has a much longer history with Callie than she does with Arizona. She and Arizona were in the plane crash together and...did Arizona deliver Bailey? Those are the only two things I remember with them, and both were sort of professionally related. Whereas Meredith has seemed to have a more personal relationship with Callie. This is a stupid example, but Callie claimed Meredith's panties when Addison put them up on the bulletin board, saving Meredith from embarrassment. Callie was married to George, she's been involved with the MAGIC folks for longer than Arizona. Also -- and this might be stretching it -- Derek and Callie seemed close. They were working on that trial together and I remember Callie's reaction to Derek's death as one of the most touching of anyone's ("He was my friend.").

All of this is to say I find the idea sort of baffling that Meredith should side with Arizona because logically their situations are similar. I don't believe people think in logical terms when it comes to relationships -- they think in emotional ones. Regardless of how much Arizona and Meredith have in common, if Meredith has the stronger friendship with Callie, I believe it's natural that she sides with Callie.

In other words: Principles are important, but relationships are more important.

(edited)
1 hour ago, BaseOps said:

I think the horrible thing is more why she broke up with him; MS is a degenerative disease, meaning his condition will only continue to get worse (he'll likely eventually lose the ability to walk on his own, could lose total hand / arm function, etc.) Steph left him because she was unwilling to be by his side through the illness. It's not necessarily that she just left him with a note, but that she left him with a note while he was in the hospital and for the sole reason that she feared watching him continue to grow more ill. 

Not wanting to pursue a relationship with someone who has an incurable illness is perfectly valid IMO. And if it's like that, it's better to call it off ASAP than to give the other person false hope. She certainly did not come out of it looking good the way she handled it but essentially it was such a non story. They barely know each other and are not committed in any way. If they been together for a long time, got married, he got sick and she decided it's not what she had signed up for and left him, that would be truly horrible. 

As for Meredith and Callie, I don't think they were ever that close and certainly not close enough for her to get involved in something as delicate as a custody battle, especially as there are solid reasons in her backstory that would suggest otherwise. I couldn't see her do that even for Alex - she had no problem voting against him when he competed against Bailey for a board set. But then again, I feel like they've completely given up on consistent and logical writing for Meredith and just have her do all this random stuff they make up as they go along. 

Edited by Joana
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Joana said:

Not wanting to pursue a relationship with someone who has an incurable illness is perfectly valid IMO. And if it's like that, it's better to call it off ASAP than to give the other person false hope. She certainly did not come out of it looking good the way she handled it but essentially it was such a non story. They barely know each other and are not committed in any way. If they been together for a long time, got married, he got sick and she decided it's not what she had signed up for and left him, that would be truly horrible. 

As for Meredith and Callie, I don't think they were ever that close and certainly not close enough for her to get involved in something as delicate as a custody battle, especially as there are solid reasons in her backstory that would suggest otherwise. I couldn't see her do that even for Alex - she had no problem voting against him when he competed against Bailey for a board set. But then again, I feel like they've completely given up on consistent and logical writing for Meredith and just have her do all this random stuff they make up as they go along. 

Yea, I mean that's a whole other debate but I understand why Stef should would feel bad about leaving him for that reason. I agree that it was not well executed - we barely saw them together, and we barely even saw Stef before that all season. But I just mean I think from Jerrika's perspective, it was the act of breaking up with him due to his illness that was the 'terrible thing'. I was thinking she was going to cross some lines medically, and I'm glad I was wrong. An Izzie / Denny 2.0 would be even worse, although we know Kyle will be around for at least a few more episodes. 

This whole custody story seems really thrown together not very well thought out. Like the writers were spit-balling ideas and just got excited over this and ran with it without ever thinking. Like Callie asking Alex? Sure they've been friends for a long time, but would you really start asking colleagues to testify against their co-workers for a custody hearing? Like Callie would then just take Sofia and Arizona wouldn't be pissed at Alex for helping her? So, yea, Mer saying yes is even worse - and she didn't even consider it. I do really like their friendship, and despite never being BFFs they've been through a LOT together. But I still wish Meredith would have at least taken pause before essentially agreeing to testify against Arizona in a custody case. None of their co-workers should be there. I have to believe they threw this together for a reason - either Callie is leaving or there's a reunion coming. 

Edited by BaseOps
(edited)

So in the finale - we will either see OA wedding or April/Jackson having their newborn baptised.

I think I will put my bet on the Owen Amelia debacle being made official in church.

If Amelia needs support - dear lord we are in for an hour of her insane speeches. I suspect she might also be pregnant. When will they make Hunt a daddy? That is all he wants in life. And of course to marry the mother so that she can take care of the kids and he can pursue his career.

Edited by NathanRiggsfan

My theory on how things will play out keeps evolving, but I am now leaning toward the idea that Penny goes and Callie stays. For one thing, Penny didn't ask Callie to come to NY; Callie insisted on being asked. So I think (and I hope it's not wishful thinking) that Penny wasn't all that keen on having Callie in New York, but she kinda went along with it because she likes/loves Callie and thought it would be an adventure. And really, how many of us have agreed to a dumb idea posed by someone we thought we were in love with? I sure have. But stuff got real when Callie and AZ got into a court battle, and Penny realizes it's not fun anymore, and she leaves Callie in Seattle while she goes off to NY, never to be seen on Grey's again. Just a theory, but one that would plausibly re-establish the status quo and get the dull and lifeless Penny off my TV screen.

• Love 1
(edited)

My theory, based on all we've been told about how devastating Capshaw is in the coming episodes, is that Callie will win custody and Arizona will break down upon hearing the verdict.  Callie may even actually leave but in the end, I think in a reverse callback , Callie ends up at Arizona's door with Sophia (consistent with Penny not being in the episode because she's already in NY) and says she just couldn't do it.  In my fantasy version they also get back together but I'm much more pragmatic.  I think seeing Arizona and Sophia saying goodbye to each other will be what breaks Callie and makes her stay in Seattle.  And really, it's the right decision.  Not because she doesn't deserve love and happiness but because it was not a well thought-out decision. 

Edited by esco1822
Forgot something
  • Love 2