Type keyword(s) to search

Turn TV History vs Real History: Non Sibi Sed Patriae

Considering there is a wealth of brilliant discussion and historical knowledge that is ubiquitous amongst the TURN watching population, I thought it might be worthwhile to create a thread that discusses the differences between how the television series TURN depicts the British-American Revolutionary War, and the actual events that occured during 1775-1783 in the newly declared United States of America. Spoilers (TV, Book or Real Life) of course are all good. Let's unleash our inner history geek!!!

Only because I love history and from reading the book the show is based off (by Alexander Rose), there are marked discrepencies and changes in how "actual" history unfolded.

Basically, if you want to discuss the historical accuracies, inaccuracies and depictions - compared to the show - this is the thread to do it in. References to Alexander Rose's book are welcome.

And because I am a Canadian, I will add this quote from TURN's most hated John Graves Simcoe: "Not for self but for country."

Well, I've finally resolved to get over the difference between Show Andre and Actual Andre, based on the dramatic needs of the show. That is, even though Actual Andre wasn't very good at his job and all the espionage was handled by a whole crew, the show benefits by having all those disparate duties narrowed down into one character. Plus, it always helps if the antagonist is a Worthy Opponent as opposed to a social climbing dilettante.

I'm a huge Andre/Arnold plot buff; I live near where the events occurred -- a neighbor's yard still bears the cannon ball holes made by the British Sloop Vulture! Here's a fun read about the plot, with a detective-like breakdown of the various defense claims.

I know less about the Culper ring. I'm gonna hafta read the Rose.

• Love 5

When I started watching TURN last season, I was googling and looking up Revolutionary War history and specifically in this case, the real life men who appear on this show. To be honest, though I am fascinated by American History, the Rev War never was that interesting to me for whatever reason. Instead, I was always reading about the American Civil War.

But anyway, with the Culper Ring, I am amazed that no one knew anything about it at all, it was never mentioned in any papers/documents until 1922. Apparently one of Abe Woodhull's decendents was going through some old papers in the basement (or attic) and found Abe's stuff. Then they realized there was a Culper Ring. No one in the long family lineage knew any of this for over 100 years.

Rose's book is quite different but it's a really good read. I recommend it. One impression I got was how much G. Washington relied on the spy rings' information, to the point that I questioned whether the Patriots would have actually won the war without the Culper Ring. I don't think they would have, to be honest. And throughout the book, GW is very impatient and quick to anger over the lack of information coming to him. Kinda of like in the show when he is depicted as calm, then suddenly goes off on Ben. That same frustration is repeated in the book.

I have to go do some more reading to remind myself of these real life people!

• Love 3
(edited)

For some reason, I have always been more fascinated in Revolutionary War history than in the Civil War, despite also being intrigued by history in general. I'm not really sure why. But we also didn't really hear about the Culper Ring. So when I saw the book George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution in the bookstore window, I knew I wanted to read it.      http://www.amazon.com/George-Washingtons-Secret-Six-Revolution-ebook/dp/B00C5R7FP4

Then I got lucky and discovered the show being made on the same topic soon after, although based on the other book. Apparently Robert Townsend's role was discovered the most recently, after all the others (besides 355, who is still mostly unknown). So amazing. These people were truly devoted to the cause as opposed to being in it for the glory. Benedict Arnold could never have been a part of the spy group! 

And yes, Washington was always desperate for the information and impatient with how slowly it came in. The other book refers to this as well. That's why I've mentioned somewhere else that the show definitely has to balance giving the ring enough "wins" to keep people invested without making up too many fictional wins too quickly. 

It has been awhile since I read the other book, so I can't remember too much else to comment on that I haven't already here or elsewhere. But eager to read other people's information and thoughts.

Edited by VMepicgrl
  • Love 1

I gather there was limited knowledge about the women involved. 355 is a good example. In TURN, she's a slave who is helping the people keeping her son safe. I've read that Anna Strong may not have had anything to do with Culper, especially since she had children and her husband had already fled for acts against the Crown. At this point in the show, Abe's wife is also fictitious. Peggy Shippen was really handling Benedict Arnold, but she's being played older than her age at that time.

I picked up Rose's book to read the real story.  Only a few pages in and I learned something... Ben Tallmadge and Nathan Hale were best buds at Yale.  Cool.

Here is a portrait of Peggy.  Yes, she had big hair.

(edited)

I picked up Rose's book to read the real story. Only a few pages in and I learned something... Ben Tallmadge and Nathan Hale were best buds at Yale. Cool.

Such a missed opportunity not to have made more of this connection.

Edited by Kabota

Omigosh!  I've been reading Rose's book and one of my ancestors is in it.  Yes, he is a good guy.  Woo hoo!  I have a Revolutionary War hero in my family tree!

• Love 4

Omigosh!  I've been reading Rose's book and one of my ancestors is in it.  Yes, he is a good guy.  Woo hoo!  I have a Revolutionary War hero in my family tree!

Seriously!! Which one??? You cannot post this without including details. DETAILS!

(edited)

Not anyone who will be in the show. His name was Major Jesse Brush. According to the book he led a raid on a property on Long Island held by a Loyalist and was captured and imprisoned for some time. I googled him and found some interesting stories. Doncha love the Internet?

A couple other interesting things I picked up from the book: First, Abraham Woodhull refused payment since spying as an occupation was distasteful, but doing it as a volunteer was gentlemanly and patriotic. He did keep detailed lists of expenses to be reimbursed though.

Second, whatever Simcoe did later in Canada, at this time he did in fact have a reputation of being brutal, having beaten a number of people and destroying their property. It was the actions of people like him that made Loyalist Long Islanders eventually change sides.

Ok, I've finished the book and must say the real story is more interesting than the fiction. The show writers really didn't need to embellish. And I learned that the burning down of my hometown was for a purpose.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4

I can't find the posts now regarding Washington being in a tent versus the house in Valley Forge, so I will just post here. I've been in visiting my family for the long weekend, and they live about 30-40 minutes from Valley Forge. We finally decided to take a visit. One of the national park rangers there explained to us that Washington was in a tent for probably about a week when they first got there, probably until around Christmas, while his men looked for a suitable place to actually settle into. I guess the show wasn't completely off there, although they seem to have extended his time in the tent. I wonder if they will eventually have him in the actual house. The place they did eventually find is very nice, of course. Much of it is still original, despite it continuing to be a family home for about 100 years after their stay. 

Interestingly, they paid above what would have been considered "market value" to the owners while they stayed there, so they were very generous.

• Love 1

Nathan Hale's story would have made a fine first episode--showing Washington's need for information & how a gallant fellow might not be the best spy.  Which latter point will appear again next season or later.  (If those seasons happen.)  This article in the Journal of the American Revolution even notes that Richard Rogers helped arrest Hale. 

The Culpers were useful but Washington had other spies--many of whom did not hang!  

Treacherous Beauty is a rather good biography of Peggy Shippen that also says a lot about Andre & Arnold.  The writer believes that, if Andre loved any of the Philadelphia belles, it was Peggy Chew.  But he had a real (well chaperoned) friendship with Ms Shippen & did give her a lock of his hair when he left Philadelphia. Andre did take many of Benjamin Franklin's things from his house--but it's believed he did so for a senior officer.  The actors playing Andre & Peggy are both older than the people they portray--but do a lovely job.  The story that they were lovers is rather old--as is the story that poor little Peggy was the innocent wife of a traitor....

• Love 1

Answering lark47 here, from this original post:

Really? My husband and I feel the show is going out of its way to portray GWash as a very flawed man.  All this stuff about his depression, seeing visions of his brother, the Sackett murder is not in the book.

My impression of GW has always been of a calm, kind, benevolent, intelligent man who did not want to hurt others, was an expect military tactican and whose risks ended up being good ones.

Mind you, this was my impression of GW before the show even aired or I read Alexander Rose's book. I was never interested in Revolutionary War history until I started watching Sleepy Hollow, to be honest. I always was more interested in the American West and the American Civil War. So started reading up on it, and decided to watch Turn because of SH, to be honest.

Then bought the book (at the National Archives in Washington, DC, for the record).

Anyway, in the book, if you have read it, GW comes across as really impatient and quick to anger. I don't blame him, to be honest. He relied heavily on the intelligence of the Culper Ring and other sources and it just wasn't coming fast enough for his liking (as fast as it could, considering the times). Also, in the book it seemed he was quick to anger and frequently annoyed with Woodhull continuously asking for payment for his expenses. He seemed to really value the intelligence, but I am sure the bleeding coffers of the Patriots, the worry over everything else and Woodhull repeated nagging him for the money didn't sit well with Washington. In the book, he seemed more impatient, easily irritated, quick to anger, easily frustrated and not too forgiving over certain slights to him or the Patriot Army. There was a particular mention in the book of someone executed and I originally had the impression that GW was like, "yeah, whatever, just kill the guy." It could have been Andre, to be honest, but not 100% sure. Have to reread.

Again, this is coming from a mindset/impression of GW that was one way, and the book which ended up seeming very different. Other interpretations and accounts of GW will be different. It's just what I thought at the time. Hope that makes sense.

ETA: I actually want to go back and reread the book soon. It was very interesting. You are right about the show deviating. In the book, J.G. Simcoe gets one paragraph of consideration and I think Anna Strong gets barely two paragraphs. So everything on the show is fiction for the show, except when the writers maybe did more research and included little bits and pieces of the character. Like I mentioned before, Simcoe wearing a beret and camouflauge mud on his face, while leading the Queen's Rangers. He did do this for a while, and he was the one who introduced certain military training tactics and ideas to the unit that were quite advanced for their time, but it's almost a side thought. On the show, Simcoe is just a murderous loon. Same with Anna - she wasn't leaving her husband for Abe, and she was about 10 or more years older than he was. Abe wasn't married at the time and had no kid. So creative/dramatic license coupled with a bit of history.

(edited)

I was happy to read in the book that after the war they all (Abe, Ben, Caleb) lived long, apparently happy lives.  Caleb was buried not far from where I grew up.

Ben had a particularly interesting life, being elected to Congress and working on a number of humanitarian causes, including the aboliton of slavery.

Edited by HalcyonDays
Removed spoiler tags - not needed in this thread.
(edited)

It could have been Andre

Probably not. Andre got an extensive hearing/tribunal, with several more adjutants than was normally required by martial custom. Washington recused himself from the procedings out of an desire to be impartial. (I don't have my reference handy, but I'm pretty sure Tallmadge was part of the lineup.) Because of Andre's rank and status, Washington wanted to dot every i before 1) sending him to death; 2) sending him to the gibbet, specifically. (Death by hanging was the required sentence for spies, but was looked upon as an outrage for a normal combatant.) Andre argued quite strenuously that if he had to be executed, he face a firing squad instead of hanging. The tribunal took formal testimony from a bunch of witnesses, including a full day from Andre himself.  The site of the trial still stands, open for business.

Meanwhile, as the trial was going on, Washington sent secret word to Clinton (Andre's boss in NYC) that he'd be willing to swap Andre to get Arnold back. Clinton was all, yeah, no, kthxbai. Andre tried at length to secure a meeting with Washington himself (who was in the nabe) to convince him not to have him hanged, but Gee wouldn't take the meeting -- perhaps fearing being swayed by Andre's personal charm out of carrying out the sentence of the tribunal. (Hamilton did meet with him, had nothing but nice things to say.) The rest, as they say, swung from a rope to the tears of the lady onlookers.

Edited by attica
  • Love 1

Just a note - no one needs to use spoilers tags in here. The entire thread is spoiler tagged, so if you don't want to know about the book or read anything about actual events, don't read this thread!!

The only place to spoiler tag for now is the episode threads, since we won't have two threads devoted per episodes.

Again, thanks to everyone for your awesome, interesting and education posts!!

(edited)

Thanks for the correction, Halcyon.

Ben Tallmadge also liked Andre and regretted that he had to be executed, but it was in retaliation for Nathan Hale being hanged.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

Sadly (for me, anyway), Tallmadge did a lot of bad-mouthing of the three guys that captured Andre, basically publicly insinuating that they were common thieves who were looking for a payoff rather than patriots. I have a theory about why, although I admit I haven't seen any evidence to back me up. I suspect it's a class issue. BT was well born, ivy-educated, officer class. Andre was of similar background --he was the first to accuse his captors of trying to fleece him. Paulding, Isaacs, and Van Wort were poor farmers, volunteer militia. Paulding was the only of the three that could read (which is how he twigged to the plot!). I also wonder now if BT might have been a wee bit jealous because the biggest plot of the war was discovered not by him and his spy ring, but by three guys on the Post Road.

Washington, however, always praised the three men, giving them public commendations, medals, and arranging cash prizes from Congress for them.

• Love 2

I didn't know where to put this but it's real history so I'll stick it here.

There's a Townsend Road and Townsend Cemetery (my grandpa is buried there) in my town in Connecticut so I was wondering if they had anything to do with the Townsend's in the show. David Townsend (born in 1725) was in the area and had a son in 1756, who he named David to confuse me. Records are super spotty so I have no idea if there is any relation. I did get excited when one ancestry site had a David Townsend listed as a son of Samuel Townsend but I don't see any overlap in relative names between either of the David's and Robert Townsend. I did learn that one of them built a homestead that still stands today and I drive by it all the time so that was cool.

Also learned that George Washington passed through on his way to Newport RI to meet up with General Rochambeau and Rochambeau dined at a Tavern that's still here and that a chunk of the French Army passed through and camped in my town on their way to Virginia and then when the war was over they marched and camped on their way back.

So that's my teeny-tiny town's possible brush with anything to do with this show.

• Love 2
(edited)

Years ago, my sister and family lived in Orangeburg, NY. I always saw the sign for the Andre execution site. One day I went there to go look. If memory serves me correct, the hanging tree was on a cul de sac, towards the top end of it, with a historic marker proclaiming that this is the site he was executed on. I never did go to the 1776 House although I still live very close to this area. I must make it a point to get there one of these days. 

Disclaimer:  I understand this thread is a spoiler thread so no spoil tags are needed. Please feel free to delete this message and have Simcoe whip me with a wet noodle if I am incorrect.

Edited because my last sentence was missing the last 4 words which the lack of same made this sentence totally not understandable and made me sound like a masochist since I stated Simcoe was to whip me with a wet noodle.  

Edited by Happy Belly
  • Love 3

There's a Townsend Road and Townsend Cemetery (my grandpa is buried there) in my town in Connecticut so I was wondering if they had anything to do with the Townsend's in the show. David Townsend (born in 1725) was in the area and had a son in 1756, who he named David to confuse me. Records are super spotty so I have no idea if there is any relation. I did get excited when one ancestry site had a David Townsend listed as a son of Samuel Townsend but I don't see any overlap in relative names between either of the David's and Robert Townsend. I did learn that one of them built a homestead that still stands today and I drive by it all the time so that was cool.

Also learned that George Washington passed through on his way to Newport RI to meet up with General Rochambeau and Rochambeau dined at a Tavern that's still here and that a chunk of the French Army passed through and camped in my town on their way to Virginia and then when the war was over they marched and camped on their way back.

So that's my teeny-tiny town's possible brush with anything to do with this show.

What town is this, iboatedhere?  I grew up in Norwalk, as a matter of fact our house was on the original Post Road so I imagine all sorts of historical figures passed by what would some day be our yard.

Anyway, according to Rose the Townsends settled on Long Island in 1645 and never left Queens County.  I suppose your David could be a distant relative, but probably not from the line of Samuel and Robert.  Incidentally, Robert Townsend was the only Culper who never married.

Haleth - It's Andover CT. It wasn't incorporated until 1848 so it's not like Washington or any of these guys knew it by name. They took land from Hebron and Coventry.

Since this show likes to fudge with history a little bit I'm going to as well and just assume they were related lol

• Love 2
(edited)

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum but what I wanted to say is that although I am enjoying the show, it is completely over the top in regards to John Graves Simcoe.  Simcoe was the founder of Toronto, Ontario in Canada.  He was a decent man who brought his family over from England while serving as the first Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada.  At the battle of Brandywine he told his men to stop shooting at the fleeing rebels.  When he founded York, later Toronto, he refused to allow slavery within and many of the loyalist who accompanied him freed their slaves.  His wife had a diary and did much to recount the early days of Toronto while she sketched pictures of the Don River and the valley below their house.  Simcoe was hardly the cruel psychopath being portrayed in this show.

Rogers and his Rangers are buried in Niagara on the Lake on the other side of Lewiston.  He and his men with their Indian allies settled there, built their farms and died there.  He was not a Scotsman but American born and a hero of the Seven Year's War.

Edited by HalcyonDays
Post moved into this thread from deleted thread.
  • Love 3

Well said.  I have a few more comments on John Simcoe from his biography by Duncan  Campbell Scott.  For those that don't know, Simcoe founded the Town of York which become the provincial capital of Upper Canada and is now Toronto.  Simcoe was the First Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada.  Simcoe's ambition on joining the army was to command a light infantry force that would still be the forlorn hope but also "but would leave in its marches unharried fields and homesteads respected."  This is why he took up the command of the Queen's Rangers.  Simcoe was actually quite contrite at the skirmish of Hancock's House, claiming "events like this are the real miseries of war."  Simcoe's fault was really being totally loyal to the Crown with an unshakeable belief that the American colonists were wrong, and had brought it on themselves.  He proved to be a great statistician and helped locate the perfect spot for the future capital of Upper Canada.  It was militarily far enough away from the US, and had a welcoming and protected harbour.  It was there that he commissioned the building of Fort York.  While organizing the new capital, his wife joined him with the two youngest children first living in a tent and then they built a log home overlooking the Don Valley. Unfortunately one of their children died and is buried in the burial ground outside of Fort York.   Elizabeth Simcoe, his wife,  spent her days wandering the Don with her sketch pad and these drawings she sent back to the four children they left in England.  The Simcoes are remembered fondly in Ontario with place names like East Gwillimbury (after Mrs. Simcoe's maiden name Gwillim), Scarborough which she named, many Simcoe Streets, the town of Simcoe, Ontario and Lake Simcoe close to Georgian Bay. Our August holiday is called Simcoe Day.   Simcoe was not a rat faced psychopath but rather a slightly plump pleasant looking man who loved his wife and children and performed his duties to the Crown in an impeccable manner.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm also Canadian, and I find it hilarious how Simcoe is portrayed in this show. In Ontario, there are endless references to him, as the previous poster illustrated. I have no idea about his personality or anything, but, at the very least, he was a very loyal man to the Crown and left a large legacy in the province.  It's a great performance and I love what a weirdo he is, but oof. 

But given how Washington is portrayed on this show, maybe it is it's MO. 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 3

The real John André wrote some poetry. He wrote one about a poem about a battle his side won in Northern Jersey, somewhat reminiscent of the 'we few, we happy few' in Henry V:

To drive the kine one summer morn,

The tanner took his way

The calf shall rue that is unborn

The jumbling of that day.

And Wayne descending steers shall know

And tauntingly deride

And call to mind in ev'ry low

The tanning of his hide.

Yet Bergen cows still ruminate

Unconscious in the stall

What mighty means were used to get

And lose them after all

For many heroes bold and brave

From New Bridge and Tappan

And those that drink Passaick's wave

And those that eat soupaan*

And sons of distant Delaware

And still remoter Shannon,

And Major Lee with horses rare

And Proctor with his cannon.

All wondrous proud in arms they came

What Hero could refuse

To tread the rugged path to fame

Who had a pair of shoes?

*another word for hasty pudding, or a poor man's porridge.

So that's some smack talk from our fancy man!

• Love 1
(edited)

From Hanahope in episode 3.08 discussion thread: 

I admit I don't know all the details about what Arnold did, only that he was a traitor that betrayed his country.  Was this all he did?  A letter offering to become a spy/traitor in exchange for money, and just in referencing his experience and court-marshal the British figured out on their own the location of Washington and tried to attack him?  Did Arnold actually do anything else?  Frankly, I think it would be hilarious if that's all Arnold actually did.

The negotiations between Arnold and the British came to a head when Arnold requested the position of commander of the forts at West Point, north of the island of Manhattan. The British wanted something bigger from him for his price, and West Point basically controlled traffic and communications on the Hudson River, making it a vital link between New England and the Colonies below New York. If the British took control of the fort, it was believed that they could control the waterway, divide the colonies and tank the revolution. There was concern by the Continentals that the fort was weak and a target, but most likely believed that Arnold taking charge of it, would be for the better. After taking command, Arnold allegedly allowed the condition of the forts and its troops to deteriorate. He also insisted on meeting in person with a British contact of high rank, thus Andre's fateful mission. Arnold was to turn over such information as he could to Andre that would allow for the British to attack the fort. In its weakened condition, after a short display of defense, he would surrender the fort to the Brits. It's also now believed that the timing of the attack was to coincide with a visit by Washington and other high ranking Continental officers, such as Lafayette and Hamilton, who would also be part of the prize.

But for a convergence of seemingly random events and people -- including 3 militiamen, canon fire upon a ship, Tallmadge, a shady guide, etc. -- the plan may have won the war for the Brits. While there will be nods to history in TURN's version, it's likely that the writers will go for the most dramatic sequence of events possible.

So, in the end, the Brits got their man, but not what they really wanted. Arnold only received roughly a third of his promised financial compensation, though his young sons were given commissions in the army so that they'd have pensions for life. He was determined initially to find and capture as many Continental intel sources as he could, and he formed a not terribly impressive unit of loyalists and former Continentals, a letter of invitation to which, he sent Tallmadge, and is easy to find online. He was, however, never allowed military posts that were conducive to the glory he craved, despite some action in the southern colonies and a devastating raid on the area he'd once called home in Connecticut.

Edited by Kabota
  • Love 1

I have an ancestor who was a major in the Long Island militia (he even gets a quick paragraph in the Rose book) and I could swear I read that he was involved in burning the stores of hay. I looked it up. Close. He was involved in hiding cows from the Red Coats.  Lol. 

• Love 1

I was watching a show on the AHC channel. Can't recall the name right now but it was something like "Secrets we never knew". One segment was about Washington's secret spy ring. I recognized so many names since they are part of Turn. It helped me put some stuff together. Brewster was mentioned as well as Abe. Part of the ring was the lady hanging different petticoats. I didn't get the entire location but there was a memorial plaque with SImco's name on it.

• Love 1
On 6/22/2017 at 3:13 PM, nitrofishblue said:

I was watching a show on the AHC channel. Can't recall the name right now but it was something like "Secrets we never knew". One segment was about Washington's secret spy ring. I recognized so many names since they are part of Turn. It helped me put some stuff together. Brewster was mentioned as well as Abe. Part of the ring was the lady hanging different petticoats. I didn't get the entire location but there was a memorial plaque with SImco's name on it.

The one thing I knew about the Culper ring is that Agent 355 is still a mystery, although TURN has speculated on her identity.

With only 6 episodes left I'm beginning to doubt we'll be taken to Yorktown for the win, especially since the Culper ring wasn't involved.   I find myself growing impatient with the invented plotlines taking precedence over the narrative.  After four years of Richard Woodhouse,  my only sentiment at his death was good riddance, let's get on with it. 

Instead of gassing on about Andre or spies, Arnold was on a rampage burning through Virginia, Washington was nervous, and desertions were indeed a constant problem.  Many had no shoes,  food was scarce and they hadn't been paid for a year.   I don't feel the urgency  of the situation, but I'll raise my glass today in honor of those unnamed tenacious ragtag soldiers.  

• Love 4

As many have said, it's hard to imagine that Simcoe was as ruthless a soldier as he is portrayed if he went on to be the beloved governor of Canada.

I've been wondering if they are somehow going to pull a switcheroo a la Mad Men and have Simcoe die the horrible death he (the TV character) deserves and someone, oh say, Hewitt, for some unknown reasons, steals his "dog tags" and assumes his identity.  It's the only way I can see them resolving the complete disparity between the character and his historical counterpart. 

Is redemption possible for Simcoe?

• Love 1