Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite and Least Favorite Characters

jnymph
  • Start Topic

Curious on everyone's take on this. (especially Captanne's least favorite, because I can't imagine who it would be! LOL J/K!! )

Of course, feel free to expound on why the (past or present)  character is your favorite or least favorite. 

My favorite has been Athelstan.  I've thought George Blagden brought remarkable depth to a fascinating & compelling character.  I was riveted every time he was on screen.   I know when Judith entered the picture a lot of people were turned off on the direction it was taking, but I enjoyed it.  I thought it was extremely well written and acted.   

My least favorite was Siggy.  I could tolerate her when she was the wife of the Earl Haraldson, but beyond that I just do NOT understand what purpose this character served.   I'm not so much blaming  Jessalyn Gilsig.  I think she did fine with what was given her, but the role was flat and blah.  She just sat around being hot for Rollo.  (of course, I can't blame ol' Siggy there.)   Also, IMO she looked too "modern" or something for the role.  Or maybe not Nordic enough?  I don't know.   Maybe that fault lies with the makeup/hair department.

Favorite Character Honorable mention: Thorstein.  What a great guy to party with and have your back as well !

Can't wait to hear everyone's responses.  :)

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 1

Favorite:

Ragnar. He has a vision for a better life for his people and he's driven to get there. He's a BAMF in battle, second only to Rollo probably, but he is always planning and plotting. The true brains and brawn.

Runner Up:

Floki. Quirky and bizarre in appearance and action. But he is extremely intelligent, a revolutionary boat designer. While always being right in the thick of things in battle. Best of all he is totally loyal to his friend Ragnar, even when he's wrong his intentions for his friend are always true. He's a Norse fundamentalist religious fanatic, with all the flaws that single minded attitude brings, which makes him relatable to what we see a lot in the world today, many centuries later.

Least:

Aslaug. She's nothing but a baby factory. her character is given little depth or little to really do. Hopefully her affair with the Wanders signals that the writers are finally going to make her character into something.

Runner Up:

Horik. How did a man SO short sighted and SO unintelligent rise to be king? Almost everything the man did was stupid. Pretty poor writing with this character IMO.

• Love 2

Favorite:  Lagertha.  She is a very unique character on TV..she kicks ass and is smart, plus she's a wife and mother and manages to combine all of it.

Runner up:  Athelstan...cute as hell and intellectually curious.

Least favorite:  Porunn I just don't get the point of her and the post partum.  I know that's a real problem but I don't think we need a "very special episode" of Vikings.

• Love 2

Best:  Athelstan.  Stranger in a strange land who becomes, possibly, the Key to Everything.

Second Best:  Ragnar.  Survivor, daredevil, risk taker, enjoyer of life, fearless leader.

Worst:  Floki.  He has, possibly, the most important role to play next to Athelstan and is utterly wasted.  He's a one-note villain and that's a shame.  What he is supposed to represent?  He represents the old Viking ways resisting change.  Rather than a complicated response, we get a mustache-twirling Snidely Whiplash.  So, he kills the "new ways" the same way Snidely Whiplash tied Penelope Trueheart to the railroad tracks.  That's a tragic waste.

• Love 1

Least favorite used to be Aslaug, but she has grown on me slowly.  Now probably it's Floki. He's so annoying and often acts like a five year old who can't get his favorite candy.

I quite liked Siggy and was sad when she died. I have a special affection for Lagertha, Bjorn and Rollo. I haven't actually "liked" Ragnar since the first season but the actor is so good in this role and the character so fascinating and important to the show. 

Ecbert is a fascinating bastard.

This show has such strong female characters - of course Lagertha. Also Siggy. And the newer female characters: Queen Crazypants, Judith, and Gisla she of the iron balls.

• Love 2

FAVORITES:  Floki.  I love the Skarsgard family and I always seem attracted to quirky characters.  Dr. Gregory House, Taylor Hicks, Hee Jun Han, (I'm a music person), Monroe on Grimm, etc.

Ragnar:  I appreciate the way he is portrayed by Travis Fimmel.  He can say so much without saying anything at all.  I didn't realize how much I appreciated him until he almost died.

Athelstan:  he was comforting to me.

LEAST FAVORITES:  Aslaug and Porrun because their characters haven't been developed enough to make me like them.  I didn't like Siggy because she reminded me too much of her character on Glee.  Don't care for the Burger King, either.  Too much of a wimp.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 2

I mean no disrespect to anyone, we all like what we like for whatever reasons, but i am having a hard time understanding all the love for Athelstan and the hate for Floki.

Athelstan is basically a passive character who sits back and experiences his fate as it unfolds around him, he takes very little action to guide his own story. When he is captured by Ragnar his life is only spared because he speaks the Norse language and Ragnar instantly realizes what a valuable asset that will be to his plans. So he spares Athelstan and takes him back home and even chooses him as his ONE reward from the raid, because Ragnar realizes that Athelstan possesses the one quality that Ragnar needs to fulfill his dreams, information. So Ragnar gets Athelstan drunk and pumps him for information to learn about this new land and plan his next steps. Athelstan is nothing but a tool in Ragnar's hands, a device to further his ends. When Ragnar takes Athelstan back to Kattegart, A sees the fate of his fellow monks, strung up dead, and he realizes just how good he has it as R's 'slave', so he goes along with everything his master says, including watching his children and managing his farm while Ragnar and Lagertha go back to his home to loot and plunder further. Just where has A shown any character? Where has he done anything more than act in survival mode? And it's pretty much that way throughout his saga, he is a passenger to his fate. Athelstan never comes up with any grand schemes to escape, he never fights to regain his freedom, he never works to become a significant figure in Viking society in his own right. He is content to be Ragnar's sidekick and reap the fruits of ragnar's success. Even when he goes back to England, he doesn't grab fate by the balls and take charge of his own life, again he is just along for the ride of his fate as he becomes Eckbert's bitch. Just when has A done ANYTHNG? What makes this character compelling as anything but the loyal sidekick? I'm sorry but I just don't understand all the love.

Floki on the other hand is quirky and single minded and strong willed. He has a defined personality and he ACTS on it, he actually fucking does something. It may not be the popular thing, but he is a master of his own fate. And he stands by his beliefs regardless of what may come. He isn't like Athelstan who suppresses his beliefs and who he is just to survive. Floki may not always make the popular choice, but he is true to himself. And regardless of what happens, he is loyal to his friend Ragnar.

As a person, Floki has a lot of rough edges, while Athelstan is a warm and fuzzy do nothing. But as characters, Floki has it all going on over Athelstan. In my opinion.

• Love 4

I mean no disrespect to anyone, we all like what we like for whatever reasons, but i am having a hard time understanding all the love for Athelstan and the hate for Floki.

Athelstan is basically a passive character who sits back and experiences his fate as it unfolds around him, he takes very little action to guide his own story. When he is captured by Ragnar his life is only spared because he speaks the Norse language and Ragnar instantly realizes what a valuable asset that will be to his plans. So he spares Athelstan and takes him back home and even chooses him as his ONE reward from the raid, because Ragnar realizes that Athelstan possesses the one quality that Ragnar needs to fulfill his dreams, information. So Ragnar gets Athelstan drunk and pumps him for information to learn about this new land and plan his next steps. Athelstan is nothing but a tool in Ragnar's hands, a device to further his ends. When Ragnar takes Athelstan back to Kattegart, A sees the fate of his fellow monks, strung up dead, and he realizes just how good he has it as R's 'slave', so he goes along with everything his master says, including watching his children and managing his farm while Ragnar and Lagertha go back to his home to loot and plunder further. Just where has A shown any character? Where has he done anything more than act in survival mode? And it's pretty much that way throughout his saga, he is a passenger to his fate. Athelstan never comes up with any grand schemes to escape, he never fights to regain his freedom, he never works to become a significant figure in Viking society in his own right. He is content to be Ragnar's sidekick and reap the fruits of ragnar's success. Even when he goes back to England, he doesn't grab fate by the balls and take charge of his own life, again he is just along for the ride of his fate as he becomes Eckbert's bitch. Just when has A done ANYTHNG? What makes this character compelling as anything but the loyal sidekick? I'm sorry but I just don't understand all the love.

Floki on the other hand is quirky and single minded and strong willed. He has a defined personality and he ACTS on it, he actually fucking does something. It may not be the popular thing, but he is a master of his own fate. And he stands by his beliefs regardless of what may come. He isn't like Athelstan who suppresses his beliefs and who he is just to survive. Floki may not always make the popular choice, but he is true to himself. And regardless of what happens, he is loyal to his friend Ragnar.

As a person, Floki has a lot of rough edges, while Athelstan is a warm and fuzzy do nothing. But as characters, Floki has it all going on over Athelstan. In my opinion.

Hmm interesting take, Bongo Fury.

I just wanted to give my 2 cents on my Athelstan love.

Like you mention; once captured by Ragnar... He is simply surviving. The guy is not a Viking warrior, but a simple monk. What I find compelling about him is that he keeps an open mind to the Viking ways (granted its to survive) but in the process his conflicted feelings about his faith happen. How he deals with it & talks to Ragnar ( who is equally open minded) is fascinating to me. I think I find it interesting because a) it's a unique storyline; I don't recall a show where 2 open minded people discuss their completely different beliefs & end up as BFF's.

B) I guess I can relate ? I could see myself doing what it takes to survive & getting conflicted in the process. C) I love that he came full circle in the end. He was a Christian.

D) he had killer abs. Heh

I don't like Floki because he's a jealous bitch. But I love Skarsgards acting & whimsical take on the character. Vikings storyline requires a crazy pagan fundamentalist

• Love 1

I don't like Floki because he's a jealous bitch.

I never saw jealousy in Floki's actions, to me it was simply religious intolerance. Floki is a fundamentalist, and he sees the Christians as infidels, pagans, unbelievers. That is why Floki was so brutal to the Christians in the early raids, and why he was constantly spitting or dismissively handwaving to things Athelstan did. He viewed Athelstan as a threat to to his faith and ultimately as a test of that faith from his Gods. He killed Athelstan because he believed it would gain him favor with the Gods, and it is why he was so distraught after his leadership failed in the first assault on Paris. Floki believed that he did everything his Gods asked of him, only to be let down at his moment of greatest triumph.

And I don't see how you can say Athelstan came full circle, he never really did anything. Sure he questioned his own faith, he had doubts if it was really true, but he never really embraced the Norse faith. He experienced the Norse faith and the Norse culture, he asked questions about it, but he never really practiced the Norse faith, or made an attempt to join the Norse culture; he never fought in the shield wall, he never took a Norse wife, he never established his own identity in the Norse community, he was always just Ragnar's friend. What Athelstan really was is a plot device, he represented the Judeo-Christian viewer, and as Athelstan experienced Norse life, so did we. Athelstan asked many of the questions we the viewers wanted to ask, which allowed exposition by the writers. And when the writes had given us sufficient background on the Norse, their plot device was no longer needed and they disposed of him.

• Love 3

Any Viking I've seen behind that shield wall has been a hefty lug of a man or woman.  I can't imagine what good a skinny little monk would be.

I'm doing a slow re-watch so I'll be sure to report anything I see.  :-)

(edited)

Didn't he fight with the Vikings in at least one of the battles?

He killed several Wessex soldiers in his one major battle.  Got that wrist torc from Ragnar for doing that and saving his life in the process.  That was why it was such a big deal when he took it off and threw it into the ocean at the end.

Athelstan,  I would argue, was extremely active.  He made a journey of self-realization that took him further than any other character.

Both he and Floki accepted their faiths from childhood up without question.  Hand-me-down faiths based on where you were born and who your parents and society  worshiped and not based on actively seeking your path in life.

But when confronted with the opposite cultures, Athelstan was forced to begin his journey to finding what he really believed in while Floki, to use a poker term, stayed pat.  Athelstan did believe in the Norse gods at one point but couldn't entirely disbelieve his own so was a man between cultures and gods.  His journey was a quest for truth complete with asking all the hard questions -- for which Ragnar admired him -- so I think he did far more than any other character in the series.

I find a "quest" storyline far more interesting than an "action hero" storyline so I think Athelstan was one of the most interesting characters in the show.  He could never have truly become a real devotee of his God without making that journey "there and back".  <-- (Okay you know "quest" and Tolkein and I just couldn't help myself).

Meanwhile, Floki (who you all know I also like and find fascinating as a character), never ever asked the hard questions nor showed an open mind and so never questioned anything. So his beliefs just blew up on him completely outside the walls of Paris.  Maybe next season he will become the new Athelstan as he seeks to rediscover his faith based on asking the hard questions and seeking the truth and not just accepting his hand-me-down religion without kicking it's tires and questioning things.

Edited by green
  • Love 7

green, you word things so very well !

Maybe next season he will become the new Athelstan as he seeks to rediscover his faith based on asking the hard questions and seeking the truth and not just accepting his hand-me-down religion without kicking it's tires and questioning things.

I love that.  I think it would be fascinating to watch Floki make some transformation(s).

• Love 1

Favorite Characters: 

Ragnar. 

Charismatic. Self-Aggrandizing. Inconsiderate, High Handed, Insensitive (your best bet is if your Athelstan or forget it), Ambitious, Ruthless, Cunning. Cold-Hearted.  But he's still so damn likeable.   He's the personified big fish in a little pond.   You can see his character is so hungry for the whole world and everything it has to offer and though he loves where he comes from and is loyal, he doesn't want to be pigeonholed like many of the other characters are content too.    His friendship with Athelstan was remarkable. Open-mindedness wasn't a characteristic I would have associated with a Viking but his friendship with Athelstan showed it.   And his willingness to jeapordize an eternity in Valhalla for the CHANCE to be with Athelstan again in the Afterlife was heart-warming and heart-breaking in equal measure.    Daring and brave in his pursuits but he's also on occasion reflective and thoughtful.   TK has been a revelation in this role.

Lagertha.

She's strong in every way that matters.   She understands the world around her and is accepting of some things but there is a clear line with her and she holds to those principles.   I think she has a generous nature to her, especially where Ragnar is concerned.   They say love can turn to hate pretty easily but I think it speaks so well of Lagertha that despite all that's gone on with Ragnar she's never truly hated him and in some ways is probably still in love with him.   She has a strong sense of perserverance.   She falls, she gets up, dust herself off and begins again.   She's a wonderful character.

Athelstan.

One of the most enjoyable journey's on the show (though shorter than I would've liked).  He was a sheltered and somewhat naive monk when we first met him and by turns has been (in all but one or two ways) a consort to the head of the Vikings and a Literal King.   I like that most characters seemed to find him to be a nuisance and maybe more trouble than he was worth with the exception of 2 of the most powerful, ruthless and machiavellen men in the whole series.  Compared to Ragnar and Echbert, Athelstan was pretty guileless and seemed easily tricked, but he inspired such emotion in two such dangerous men.   They thought there was something irreplacably special about him.   Ragnar used it as part of a con but as the writers said, his baptism was because he wants to be able to see Athelstan in the afterlife.  He did something that is forbidden by his gods because of what Athelstan mean't to him. 

King Echbert.

Progressive.  Calculating, Ruthless, Hard-Hearted (in many ways).  He's a wonderful foil for everyone.   And it was interesting that for all that can be repellant about him, he had a genuine appreciation for someone who's the closest to gentile this show has ever had.   Even at the expense of his own son which makes him so unique in a society that places such a high value on bloodlines.

• Love 5
(edited)

I enjoyed your post Advance35, you word things well. So who's your LEAST favorite Pagan OR Christian?

Thank you. You know it's funny I still can't pinpoint my least favorite.   I feel like MH did a really good job of crafting these characters and I feel like by the end just about all of them will have an arc that will likely be poignant in some way.

Least.

Floki.

He's unpredictable, temperamental, disturbed, fanatical and savage.  I've seen it mentioned elsewhere how Floki was right to be afraid because his religon/beliefs are on the decline (as history tells us) and I find him to  be believable as a character, in that, he would fight that every step of the way but I can't NOT hate him for what he did to Athelstan.   I think he did it in part for fanatisism but also because he was jealous of the influence Athelstan had on Ragnor.   Floki saw "The Priest" go from a captured slave to one of the most important and one of the most loved people in Ragnar's life.   What Athelstan mean't (and still does) to Ragnar, is what Ragnar mean's to Floki.  And in it's own way its kind of sad because Floki closed a door that can never be openned again, Ragnar will never forget or truly forgive what he did to Athelstan.  And I do think Ragnar will get some palatable form of revenge one day.

Aslaug.

I'm not sure what it is about her that's off putting to me.  It's nothing shipping related it's just her.  And having said that I don't think  she's a BAD character.  I can understand her, I just don't empathize with her.   I think she's someone that may one day drown in regret.  She likes the influence and the sense of paramount she get's from being with Ragnar but it always seems like she want's more and she knows she'll never get it.   Inciting Passion or arousal in Ragnar isn't difficult, inciting genuine love and emotion is the challenge.    He's loves two people by choice (Lagertha and Athelstan), he's loves 6 by nature (his Children with both Lagertha and Aslaug) and he loves one because of duty (Rollo).   That's about it.   And I think Aslaug realizes this and I think it frequently bothers her and I think the narrative has been set up so that playing power games won't always distract her from what's missing.  Can't wait to see how she'll react to hearing that Ragnar let himself be baptized and I can't recall, does she know he carries Athelstans cross?

Kwenthrith.

I think this is my least favorite character in the whole show, with Floki and Aslaug, I can recognize what is bought to the canvas, with Kwenthrith, I can't.  Her background is sad and regrettable but other than that I just find know interest in her.   Maybe that could ultimately change but I was actually hoping we had seen the last of her in S3.

I like characters who evolve and have a ripple effect on the canvas, Other characters I really like are Bjorn, Porunn, I'm up and down with Rollo.   But I genuinely have found just about every character on the show interesting at one time or another.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 2

Advance35, while I agree with your list of Floki and Aslaug, I'm less on board with Kwenthrith.  Here's where I sit -- I agree about Floki but because he's boring.  I don't find the actor's body movements creative and I find the writing for the character one-note and boring.  It really does a disservice because the character could be so dark and complicated.  Aslaug bothers me because I find the actress off-putting physically (shallow, I know, but I can't help it) and because I didn't find her convincingly introduced.

Kwenthrith follows the same problem as Floki does but I find her less disappointing because I find her less important.  I'm also not sure the actress could handle a really complicated character.  The actor who plays Floki could -- I have no doubt of that -- but he's wasted on a shallow cliche of a character.  It's too bad.

• Love 1
(edited)

Kwenthrith follows the same problem as Floki does but I find her less disappointing because I find her less important.  I'm also not sure the actress could handle a really complicated character.  The actor who plays Floki could -- I have no doubt of that -- but he's wasted on a shallow cliche of a character.  It's too bad.

That too was another factor in my opinion about Kwenthrith.  I didn't think the actress was good, I didn't think she was especially bad, I thought she was serviceable, which is fine, accept when you are surrounded by actors/actressses that can bring nuance and dimensions to their work.   That's when a less versatile performer becomes really noticeable.   I think TK is a very good actor to work with because I think he gives whomever he is working with so much to play off of.   He's understated but always very much present in the scene.   I didn't see a lot of chemistry of any kind between Ragnar and Kwenthrith or even Echbert.   I question whether it would be better if the writers wrote specifically to her strengths but than I realize I'm not interested.  I'd rather the effort not be made.   I feel kind of bad about that but there are so many other interesting characters.

Aslaug bothers me because I find the actress off-putting physically (shallow, I know, but I can't help it) and because I didn't find her convincingly introduced.

For Aslaug I just didn't like the entitlement I felt was on display when she first hit the scene, which is strange because it's a characteristic SO many of the characters have.  Ragnar is IMMENSLEY entitled but I feel like we saw him earn it (if  that makes any sense).   LOL about your reaction to her "beauty". lol.  Her looks............I'll just say I can understand your outlook and leave it at that. lol.

With Floki it's so hard to be objective.  I think the actor is great at the kind of unhinged menace he is asked to convey.  I just feel like I might be more susceptible to potential nuance with him, if I didn't have such an aversion to what he did.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 1

I do see chemistry between Ragnar and Ecbert.  Just none with Kwenthrith.

I think the problem with "what Floki did" is that it suffers from my exact complaint about Floki overall.  I found Athelstan complicated and conflicted so he's immune to my gripe.  LOL.  

But, both Floki and the situation of the murder are too one-note.  Floki, I've described before as too black and white.  The setup of the murder was also too black and white.  Floki was pure evil (to the point where he shapeshifted into a wolf, remember) and Athelstan (in that scene) was too perfectly innocent.  The scene suffered for it.  (In my opinion.)  Do I have a better idea?  Maybe not.  But, I'm not a show runner, either.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I do see chemistry between Ragnar and Ecbert.  Just none with Kwenthrith.

Whoops. LOL That's what I meant.   Their scenes had a nice quality to it.  Not quite combative but not quite allies either.   It also use to make me laugh that everytime Athelstan had a scene with either gentleman (even during his warrior period) I felt like a baby chick was walking next to a Rottweiler or a Grizzly Bear. lol.

But, both Floki and the situation of the murder are too one-note.  Floki, I've described before as too black and white.  The setup of the murder was also too black and white.  Floki was pure evil (to the point where he shapeshifted into a wolf, remember) and Athelstan (in that scene) was too perfectly innocent.  The scene suffered for it.  (In my opinion.)  Do I have a better idea?  Maybe not.  But, I'm not a show runner, either.

I kind of thought it was appropriate in a way.   After all his time with the Vikings and even though he was MUCH more educated, I notice everyone came off as much more worldly in a way.    I don't know if it's the gentleness I previously described against everyone else's brutality but it was always there in my view.   It's funny because you would think Athelestan going through so much would have made hardened his heart but it seemed like it just made him softer as time went on.   That's not the usual character evolution for used when they are so alone in the world.   Floki has by choice lived a very brutal life, it's been his natural order (I assume) since he was born.   To go back to my metaphor, it was like a baby chick against a pitbull or a jackal.   And I know Athelstan was far from a saint but he always came off as having such a vulnerability to me.   Which I'm realizing lines up with what your saying, but for some reason the scene worked for me.

Really thinking about these characters has been good food for thought.  Does anyone know if there are any online analysis about the Ragnar/Athelstan dynamic.   And I mean in regard to the Power Dynamics between them.   I've read in interviews that some people consider Athelstan's friendship with Ragnar to be a sizeable case of stockholm syndrome.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 1
(edited)

My favorite has been Athelstan because of the spiritual journey he made and the courage he showed in the end.  As a young monk he really wasn't taught the love of the Lord - just the rules.  No wonder he was led off the path and turned into a barbarian.  Yet in the end he was able to return to God, commit himself to the Faith and accepted death to not lose his soul.  Reminds me of the children killed for their faith in Irag.

Edited by Curious5
  • Love 1

I couldn't stand Aslaug at first because she rode in all badass and pregnant, with no regard for the fact that Ragnar had a family.  Now that she's been brought down a peg or two (or three) I can at least tolerate her presence on the screen, even if I still don't like her all that much.  Plus, she is a good babysitter so she has that in her favor. 

I can't stand the Princess Krazypants and I hope she's not around much next season.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Athelstan could very well have suffered from Stockholm Syndrome.  What interests me, however, is Ragnar's friendship with him.  He, essentially, fell in love with Athelstan.  Other than the offer of a threesome, I'm not sure that Ragnar is particularly interested in sex with men and that's not what I'm implying.  I am saying that he fell in love with Athelstan as more than a best friend.  (Please point me to any man in history -- fictional or otherwise -- who is a king and looks at his best friend and genuinely says, "I love you, man," the way Ragnar did to Athelstan.  I can't think of one.  There may be one in the Aeneid or the Odyssey but I don't remember it.  Epic friendships, yes.  Protestations of love?  Not as often.)

So, while I don't find it too complicated to understand Athelstan's love for Ragnar, it's Ragnar's love for Athelstan I find fascinating.

It is pure Philos.

God, I wish the character of Floki withstood scrutiny the way these two do.  That would be endlessly interesting. 

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 3
(edited)

I think Athelstan could very well have suffered from Stockholm Syndrome.

I recently watched and one of the things that stood out to me was Athelstan's early days and just how horrifying it all would be.   In episode 3 when he goes down by the lake to wash and he ends up breaking down into tears, I could hardly blame him.   It was borderline cathartic for me since I related to the character so much.   And I just double down on how sheltered he was before the Vikings came.   Someone so gentle around people that are so brutal.    When Ragnar presents the treasures from the Monastary to the Earl and you see Athelstan off to the side but still in the center attached to the rope Ragnar's holding, clutching the bible and looking down.  Ugh, Just so well acted and directed.    And at the end of Season 2 when he's back with the Vikings and they are talking about Echbert and Athelstan tells everyone he believes the King will honor the agreement and Lagertha say's "You are still innocent."  She goes onto say that even after all he's experienced he's still that same young monk that she met all those years ago.   I like that the writing and the actor managed to layer and evolve the character while still keeping that core of him that appealed so much.

I also found him sympathetic because he was so ostracized and in over his head.   He was a very lonely figure and you get the impression Ragnar was the first person to take a genuine interest in him on a personal level.  It's rare in fiction just like real-life, for someone to feel for others when the same isn't true in the reverse.   I got the impression Rollo tolerated him by decree from Ragnar.   I think Lagetha liked him but didn't think he was of much practical use, but seemed to accept his importance to Ragnar.   Aslaug liked him because Ragnar loved him.   Bjorn still looks up to his father and has fond memories from his childhood.  But I think Ragnar was the only one that loved him like family/maybe more?

What interests me, however, is Ragnar's friendship with him.  He, essentially, fell in love with Athelstan.  Other than the offer of a threesome, I'm not sure that Ragnar is particularly interested in sex with men and that's not what I'm implying.

I knew they would be friends one day when a few of the farm people just came to gawk and Athelstan to see "What the Christian looked like" and Ragnar saying "He's just like us" and making them all leave and shooing them away.    As a character I find Ragnar to be very predatory, in terms of ambition and finding and exploiting the weaknesses of others.   During the early day's I did find the heiarchy between the two, very pronounced.  But even then I thought the rapport between the two was very organic.   I think overall Athelstan had a truly warm heart and he (mistakenly, in my view and this is where his naivety comes in) did think of the Vikings as family (like he told Aslaug), while the only one that seemed to regard him as such was Ragnar.

Even in the latter half of Season 2 you really got the sense of how possessive Ragnar was of Athelstan.   When King Horick was ambushed Ragnar didn't seem to care, he only pressed the messenger for news of Athelstan.   And when they met in person he expressed little interest in Horicks perspective, just inquisitioned him with "What of Athelstan" and wanting to know "Where is he now".   To say nothing of Ragnar going to seer saying he's been dreaming of Athelstan and that  "You must tell me where he is."

Ragnar is Ragnar but it wasn't all possessive and ownership.   The look on his face when Echbert's son gave him the braclet was genuine relief and joy that Athelstan was alive.  You could tell he was prepared to go back to the Villas right away, it was like he momentarily forgot everyone else and why they were there.    I notice that when Ragnar was walking Athelstan to the woods when he first saw him again he put the bracelet back on him (even though he was wearing Christian robes) before letting him head back to Echberts Castle.   Being willing to kneel and say the Lord's prayer with Athelstan and just the genuine tolerance he had for Athelstan's belief's are what convinced me of the friendship/bromance/????????  despite it's dubious beginnings.  

He MAY on occasion display some sensitivity where his children are concerned  (but he sometimes acts like he views his son's as extensions of himself or competitors).  But most of the time any consideration for the feelings of others has been directed at Athelstan. 

By the time Ragnar told Athelstan he "loved him" I believed him.  Ragnar is NOT a nice person but I have no doubt he loved the "Monk" and he mean't it when he said he would "protect him."   I honestly don't think anyone would have hurt Athelstan because of Ragnar but Floki is 3 quarters crazy so we know how that went.   But even then we found out that Ragnar was willing to roll the dice on Valhalla for the chance to see Athelstan in the after life.   I think he still harbours some hope of seeing Athelstan again someday.

As for the sexual component......I don't think Ragnar would have said "no".   I think maybe Athelstan's innocence was an aprhodisac to him.

This was such a rich dynamic, I could go on and on with rambling thoughts about the two, I'm really going to miss this friendship on the show.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 4
(edited)

I recently watched and one of the things that stood out to me was Athelstan's early days and just how horrifying it all would be.   In episode 3 when he goes down by the lake to wash and he ends up breaking down into tears, I could hardly blame him.   It was borderline cathartic for me since I related to the character so much.   And I just double down on how sheltered he was before the Vikings came.   Someone so gentle around people that are so brutal.    When Ragnar presents the treasures from the Monastary to the Earl and you see Athelstan off to the side but still in the center attached to the rope Ragnar's holding, clutching the bible and looking down.  Ugh, Just so well acted and directed.    And at the end of Season 2 when he's back with the Vikings and they are talking about Echbert and Athelstan tells everyone he believes the King will honor the agreement and Lagertha say's "You are still innocent."  She goes onto say that even after all he's experienced he's still that same young monk that she met all those years ago.   I like that the writing and the actor managed to layer and evolve the character while still keeping that core of him that appealed so much.

I also found him sympathetic because he was so ostracized and in over his head.   He was a very lonely figure and you get the impression Ragnar was the first person to take a genuine interest in him on a personal level.  It's rare in fiction just like real-life, for someone to feel for others when the same isn't true in the reverse.   I got the impression Rollo tolerated him by decree from Ragnar.   I think Lagetha liked him but didn't think he was of much practical use, but seemed to accept his importance to Ragnar.   Aslaug liked him because Ragnar loved him.   Bjorn still looks up to his father and has fond memories from his childhood.  But I think Ragnar was the only one that loved him like family/maybe more?

I knew they would be friends one day when a few of the farm people just came to gawk and Athelstan to see "What the Christian looked like" and Ragnar saying "He's just like us" and making them all leave and shooing them away.    As a character I find Ragnar to be very predatory, in terms of ambition and finding and exploiting the weaknesses of others.   During the early day's I did find the heiarchy between the two, very pronounced.  But even then I thought the rapport between the two was very organic.   I think overall Athelstan had a truly warm heart and he (mistakenly, in my view and this is where his naivety comes in) did think of the Vikings as family (like he told Aslaug), while the only one that seemed to regard him as such was Ragnar.

Even in the latter half of Season 2 you really got the sense of how possessive Ragnar was of Athelstan.   When King Horick was ambushed Ragnar didn't seem to care, he only pressed the messenger for news of Athelstan.   And when they met in person he expressed little interest in Horicks perspective, just inquisitioned him with "What of Athelstan" and wanting to know "Where is he now".   To say nothing of Ragnar going to seer saying he's been dreaming of Athelstan and that  "You must tell me where he is."

Ragnar is Ragnar but it wasn't all possessive and ownership.   The look on his face when Echbert's son gave him the braclet was genuine relief and joy that Athelstan was alive.  You could tell he was prepared to go back to the Villas right away, it was like he momentarily forgot everyone else and why they were there.    I notice that when Ragnar was walking Athelstan to the woods when he first saw him again he put the bracelet back on him (even though he was wearing Christian robes) before letting him head back to Echberts Castle.   Being willing to kneel and say the Lord's prayer with Athelstan and just the genuine tolerance he had for Athelstan's belief's are what convinced me of the friendship/bromance/????????  despite it's dubious beginnings.  

He MAY on occasion display some sensitivity where his children are concerned  (but he sometimes acts like he views his son's as extensions of himself or competitors).  But most of the time any consideration for the feelings of others has been directed at Athelstan. 

By the time Ragnar told Athelstan he "loved him" I believed him.  Ragnar is NOT a nice person but I have no doubt he loved the "Monk" and he mean't it when he said he would "protect him."   I honestly don't think anyone would have hurt Athelstan because of Ragnar but Floki is 3 quarters crazy so we know how that went.   But even then we found out that Ragnar was willing to roll the dice on Valhalla for the chance to see Athelstan in the after life.   I think he still harbours some hope of seeing Athelstan again someday.

As for the sexual component......I don't think Ragnar would have said "no".   I think maybe Athelstan's innocence was an aprhodisac to him.

This was such a rich dynamic, I could go on and on with rambling thoughts about the two, I'm really going to miss this friendship on the show.

I have little hearts flying out of my eyes after reading this !

Athelstan and Ragnar's relationship is one of my favorite TV couplings ever.    Actually I'd have to say my favorite. 

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 1
(edited)

I have little hearts flying out of my eyes after reading this !

I think it's so fresh in my mind because I binge watched recently.  But it's very apparent in Season 2.   When Horick is telling them about what went on in England, TK makes some really great acting choices that are suitably subtle considering Horick is still his King but give off a very "Your going to regret this" vibe.   He's playing with his knife and his eyes don't leave Horick, questioning Where Athelstan is now.   Than he goes less subtle when Floki starts bashing him.

I swear you could write a disertation on their power dynamics.  Sometimes I wonder if one of the things that Ragnar liked was that Athelstan was so powerless but he's faced that sort of person before and hasn't expressed or displayed that much empathy.    And I thought it was just as cool when Athelstan use to sit with the family and other powerful figures when they were guest.  How must that have looked to all the other people in attendance?     A sign of very good writing by Mr. Hirst.

Edited by Advance35
(edited)

I started a re-watch on another thread and then RL got in the way.  I'm back from work/vacation now and I'd love to start it up seriously.  I got through the first one or two episodes.  I'll try to do another one tomorrow night if I have a chance.  Those interested -- chime in.  Personally, I'm particularly interested in the Athelstan/Ragnar dynamic (particularly from Ragnar's perspective) but there are plenty of great reasons to rewatch.  It's not that many episodes, really and will tide us over until the new season begins.

Btw, ITA about the good writing for everyone except for the character of Floki who is just so painfully textbook.  I can't for the life of me figure out why they have dropped the ball on that character.  I'll watch again for him, too, so I can see what his fans see in him other than falling for a cliche hook-line-and-sinker.

Edited by Captanne
I think the problem with "what Floki did" is that it suffers from my exact complaint about Floki overall.  I found Athelstan complicated and conflicted so he's immune to my gripe.  LOL.  

But, both Floki and the situation of the murder are too one-note.  Floki, I've described before as too black and white.  The setup of the murder was also too black and white.  Floki was pure evil (to the point where he shapeshifted into a wolf, remember) and Athelstan (in that scene) was too perfectly innocent.  The scene suffered for it.  (In my opinion.)  Do I have a better idea?  Maybe not.  But, I'm not a show runner, either.  

In one of the episode threads, IIRC, someone posted about how Floki's development echoed that of Loki. I thought that was an interesting idea. In a manner similar to how Hades and other gods of the underworld, who were not that nice but also not that much worse than the gods living in heaven, end up becoming the villains of Disney/action films, Loki starts out as a trickster and becomes a darker figure as his actions are reinterpreted from a Christian perspective. On the show, Floki is mostly a quirky character in the first season, but over time his fundamentalism becomes more apparent and more dangerous as he's confronted with the presence of Christianity and the threat it poses to his religion. In the end Floki murders the martyr-like Athelstan (as Loki schemed to bring about the death of the virtuous Baldr), but he can't stop the Ragnarok that is coming for his gods: Ragnar converts, Rollo will marry a fervently Christian princess, and though they do these things for their own personal reasons, the old ways that Floki represents will eventually cease to be acceptable to his people - even Helga, who loves him and shares his faith, is horrified by the murder of Athelstan.

• Love 1
(edited)

Btw, ITA about the good writing for everyone except for the character of Floki who is just so painfully textbook.  I can't for the life of me figure out why they have dropped the ball on that character.  I'll watch again for him, too, so I can see what his fans see in him other than falling for a cliche hook-line-and-sinker.

And I still have to disagree about Floki.  I think the character is many-layered and incredibly well-written and acted.  Sorry, just got to stick up for the character when I see it bashed so much on here. 

I think it was heart-breaking to see Floki, who loved Ragnar so much and worked so very very hard for him, feel the pain of losing him to Athelstan.  Yeah Athelstan was the more interesting and gentle and likeable soul.  But Floki too was an outsider of sorts when we first meet him and Ragnar seemed the only one who realized his genius for boat building.  Ragnar made him feel special when no one else was interested in him even existing back in the beginning. 

Athelstan and his God destroyed Floki on so many levels without Athelstan ever being aware of it.  Or Ragnar for that matter.  Floki's return back to the outsider was a sad thing to behold.  In the end he destroys himself in a desperate effort to destroy Athelstan and his "Christ God" and return to the good old days of yore. 

I still like to think of him when he and Helga were tending Ragnar's wounds all those months.  He risked his life so many times for Ragnar.  Not just then but in battle and defying Haraldsen in the beginning with Ragnar and almost getting killed by Rollo that time.  He can't understand why, despite him doing everything "by the book" via his Gods (and his love of Ragnar), that all this went so bad for him.  Killing Athelstan has now made things far worse instead of "solving" his problem.  Athelstan is a noble martyr now and even Helga can't tolerate him. 

Floki didn't set out to be bad.  He set out to be good as defined by his culture and it all blew up in his face.  He's a lost soul now doubting his Gods and shunned by his wife and despised by the one man he loved most.  This is, to use a Christian term from those days (haha), "the dark night of the soul" for Floki.  It will be interesting to see what happens to him next season.

Edited by green
  • Love 1

I dislike Floki and I kind of wish they hadn't taken this turn with him from a writing perspective (though I realize why they did) but I think the actor is great.  I do think (even with histrioinics) real emotion comes through, I just think there of a dark and twisted bent.   I thought the writer gave a really interesting characterization for Floki and his outlook on Athelstan here:

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/1069/vikings-death-birth-and-betrayal-in-explosive-episode/

It's interesting what you say about Floki being an outsider green.  In all honesty I never considered it from that perspective.   I got that Ragnar's respect and friendship was a great source of pride for Floki and I think in the beginning he was truly selfless in regards to Ragnar and Lagertha (when Season 1 Earl had the farm attacked and Ragnar was healing and Lagetha said they had nothing left, Floki told her "You, Your Husband and Your Children are all alive, you have everything."  And Lagetha noting that they are eating Floki's winter supply of food.   I found that genuinely moving.

And when Ragnar challenges The Earl to a duel he's hobbling down the pier to get to the ring and he limps over to Athelstan, grabs him by the shoulder and tells him in puckish/rogueish/charming  voice tells him "Don't look so worried."   Floki is standing right behind Athelstan and grabs Athelstans shoulder right after Ragnar does.   Just interesting direction during that particular interaction.

But Floki's paranoia over Athelstan's influence over Ragnar just grew and grew and in all honesty, I'm not sure Athelstan had any REAL influence over Ragnar.   And by that I mean, he wouldn't turn away from raiding a land on Athelstan's request and though I have know doubt Ragnar Loved/Loves Athelstan I do notice that he doesn't or VERY rarely "ask" Athelstan anything, he will usually "tell" him.

I don't like Floki but I don't think I'd say he's been short-changed as a character either.   It's funny because, Aslaug, Floki and so many other characters have pursued an emotional hold over Ragnar or at least a deeply profound rapport and Athelstan wasn't especially trying to achieve it, he by his nature became one of the most important people to him.

• Love 3

Lagertha is high on my list. She just doesn`t come across as a believable character to me. I like all the English royals and the feckless Frankish emperor though. And Rollo of course. The rest are a bit clichèd for my taste, and Ragnar in particular.

Favorite: Ragnar.  Because I'm a guy, and I think with my testosterone and so naturally I identify with him, just as I did Jax from SOA.  But seriously, his eccentric and fallible nature make him a very watchable character IMO.

Least Favorite: King Horik.  The man just seems like a robot.  His best scene was his entrance when he throws chickens on the priests and proceeds to kick one in the ribs.  I thought "great, another eccentric character."  But I never took to him after that.

• Love 1

i'm new here...but:

- Ragnar. Not just a brute, but a man of wisdom, kindness and charity. He spared Athelstan's life and mourned him as a friend. He trusted Rollo again, even though he betrayed him.

- Athelstan. Not hardened as Ragnar, but still has courage/spirit

- Rollo. Like his bro in many ways, but is the classic younger child. in a way, i don't blame him for this, given Vikings' culture and Valhalla.

- Lagatha. very devoted.

- Earl Haraldson. Was a dick, but rationalised his dickness well, since he only wanted the best for his family. 

- The old man who joined the first English raid because he wanted to join his friends in Valhalla. he was cool.

Least liked:

- Floki. Like he's on drugs all the time.

- Bjorn. the kid Bjorn anyhow, whiny, ungrateful.

• Love 2

LOA-maker, welcome.  You will find, as you progress through the three seasons, that Floki changes.  You'll find out.  He's my favorite because he's a Skarsgard and is considered the finest Swedish actor by the people of Sweden.

• Love 1

Floki definitely changed from Season 1 to Season 3, becoming a much darker character.  Watching Episode 1,1 again confirms that.   He is sinking deeper into mental illness, IMO.

I agree.  That very episode he came off as a wookland pukish creature mysterious and mischievious and full of a quiet joy even.  I liked how he bonded with Bjorn immediately.  He was at one with his world back then.  But then his world began to change and he couldn't change with it.  Of all the characters in the show he has taken the most tragic turn.

• Love 5

LOA-maker, welcome.  You will find, as you progress through the three seasons, that Floki changes.  You'll find out.  He's my favorite because he's a Skarsgard and is considered the finest Swedish actor by the people of Sweden.

i've seen all three seasons, i just don't like Floki's mannerisms. He's meant to be be kind of like the Norse nutty professor, but just doesn't do it for me. he's good as the Odin fundamentalist though.

• Love 1

My least favourite character is Athelstan. I cannot understand why people (both Ragnar and fans) are invested in him at all. George Blagden does fine in the roll and I think there were a few interesting moments for him in season 1 but after that I found him unbearable. We are constantly told he is very intelligent but actions with King Eckbert show him to be either unbelievably gullible or an active traitor (translating the fragments of how Caesar defeated the northern tribes for the king when he knows that Ragnar has landed. We are told about his loyalty but he refuses to go to the aid of Ragnar's family and Kattegat even when it is obvious that Ragnar is desperate and he makes no move to try and warn Ragnar of the two army trap even though he is by no means a prisoner in Wessex.  I also hated the way he threw away the arm band in 'Born Again'  he could have returned it to Ragnar, at the very least it was a gift from a friend given with love and trust and to the Vikings it was sacred- he demonstrated utter contempt for their beliefs and culture. 

I disliked  the Judith storyline most of all, He does not love Judith and sleeps with her anyway, and then leaves her with no thought about what might happen if she is pregnant (knowing full well how an adulterous will be treated in his society) he never gives her a second thought after he leaves. The idea of the character noble, spiritual and constant ) is so at odds with his actual actions that I find it impossible to take him seriously and I find Ragnar's devoted puppy routine embarrassing.

My favourite character is probably Floki- (and not just because he finally rid the show of Athelstan) No other character apart from maybe Ragnar is so compelling and unique. Floki is a mass of contradictions:he is in some ways the gentlest of all the characters- (it is truly shocking when he grabs Helga by the throat because he always treats her with such tenderness-if Rollo, Ragnar or even Lagertha  had grabbed their paramour by the throat we would think nothing of it and it is unlikely they would apologise) and yet he is one of the most vicious and savage characters in the show. He behaves as a fool and is often treated as one but he is very  perceptive, understanding that Rollo's harsh attitude to women masks his broken heart, that Horik is always trying to flatter and cajole him into betrayal and that all of the overtones of co-operation with Wessex and King Eckbert are all a fantasy and that the Christians (most of them and certainly those in power) despise them every bit as much as he despises Christianity. He is very closed minded and simplistic in some ways and yet incredibly intelligent and creative in others, building not only the essential and innovative ships that take them to England and Paris but also beautiful things only for the sake of it. 

The most  tragic thing about the character is his limited but evident understanding of his own mental illness. Several times he refers to himself as insane and the scene where he admits he doesn't want a child because he is afraid it would be like him is heartbreaking. He knows there is something wrong with him and yet he cannot understand or control it. His religious beliefs are also interesting, he is a total zealot and yet talks of the 'real gods that haunt him' as opposed to the gods that the others are concerned with, he is fascinated by signs from the gods but we never see him visit the seer. Most of all I like him because he is  (in my opinion) the best acted character on the show- his confession to Ragnar, his suicidal desperation in Paris, his grief at the loss of Torstein and his wide eyed wonder and awe when he saw his daughter are just a few moments that stand out as being truly excellent and believable. The fact that he killed Athelstan is a shame because in some ways Floki defines himself by his relationship to Ragnar and that is probably destroyed however everything he says in the confession is true- I remember all the way back in season 1 when Horik is first introduced and he says Ragnar built a boat that sailed west and Floki is standing right next to him But Ragnar never thinks to say 'no he built it' No one except perhaps Lagertha has been as essential to Ragnar's rise as Floki- from building the boats to taking in Ragnar and his family when they have nothing to acting double agent with King Horik.  I really hope that some hope is offered to Floki in season 4 because although he has sinned he has never betrayed Ragnar and in Floki's view he truly was trying to protect him.

I think I am the only person who watches the show who now has very little sympathy for Ragnar!!! I loved him at the beginning and I still think he is a fascinating character but I find myself hating him a little, His treatment of Lagertha is childish and disloyal, first with Aslaug and then the way he humiliates her by pretending he will support her about her Earldom and then doing the exact opposite-after she came to his aid to help him save his family and regain his land. Ragnar has become a bit of hypocrite, he claims he cares for his people and yet when he admits he gave away command in Paris to make Floki suffer he is admitting that he is prepared to sacrifice his peoples lives for his 'agenda' He takes them to Paris, has no plan and so passes the responsibility to the others only to scream at them as failures even after they have offered far more than he has and are only doing his bidding trying to assault a  city which he has been told (by logical analysis and prophecy) cannot be breached. He abandons the people he claims to be building a future for in Wessex at the mercy of a KIng he knows is corrupt and then murders the only survivor of the massacre that follows in  order to keep the truth quiet.  He lies about what happened there and forgets all about farm land because he wants a shiny new toy -Paris ! I still enjoy the character because Travis Fimmel does a great job and the writing is always interesting but I no longer see him as any kind of hero. The scene in 'the dead' when he collapses in Bjorn's arms as the warriors file past tells the story of Ragnar- people who have loved him, trusted him and fought for him now look at him with fear, distrust and even hatred  and it  (mostly) his doing. In season one there was a core group that supported Ragnar and helped him achieve his ambitions- not one of that group (the ones that are still breathing) really trusts him any more and he treats all of them with contempt most of the time. 

I have to say I like Rollo as a character- he has a million flaws and I hate him sometimes but his insane courage and his honesty about himself  make him at times more likeable than his awesome but increasingly deluded and self righteous brother.

• Love 3

My top 3 faves are Lagertha, Aethelwulf, and Ecbert.

Least faves are Ragnar, Judith, and the Franks. Yes, I said the Franks and I honestly mean all of them.

Everyone else is sorta in-between.

Then you've got those who I started out loving or hating and changed my mind on. I loved Athelstan at the beginning, but was rooting for his death by the time he was killed. I didn't like Aslaug when she first showed up, but now I love her.

I'm not sure why I love Ecbert and not Ragnar, because when it comes down to it, they're both pretty horrible. I honestly think it's the acting. Roache is phenomenal imo, and I've never been impressed with Fimmel.

And I still have to disagree about Floki.  I think the character is many-layered and incredibly well-written and acted.  Sorry, just got to stick up for the character when I see it bashed so much on here. 

I think it was heart-breaking to see Floki, who loved Ragnar so much and worked so very very hard for him, feel the pain of losing him to Athelstan.  Yeah Athelstan was the more interesting and gentle and likeable soul.  But Floki too was an outsider of sorts when we first meet him and Ragnar seemed the only one who realized his genius for boat building.  Ragnar made him feel special when no one else was interested in him even existing back in the beginning. 

Athelstan and his God destroyed Floki on so many levels without Athelstan ever being aware of it.  Or Ragnar for that matter.  Floki's return back to the outsider was a sad thing to behold.  In the end he destroys himself in a desperate effort to destroy Athelstan and his "Christ God" and return to the good old days of yore. 

I still like to think of him when he and Helga were tending Ragnar's wounds all those months.  He risked his life so many times for Ragnar.  Not just then but in battle and defying Haraldsen in the beginning with Ragnar and almost getting killed by Rollo that time.  He can't understand why, despite him doing everything "by the book" via his Gods (and his love of Ragnar), that all this went so bad for him.  Killing Athelstan has now made things far worse instead of "solving" his problem.  Athelstan is a noble martyr now and even Helga can't tolerate him. 

Floki didn't set out to be bad.  He set out to be good as defined by his culture and it all blew up in his face.  He's a lost soul now doubting his Gods and shunned by his wife and despised by the one man he loved most.  This is, to use a Christian term from those days (haha), "the dark night of the soul" for Floki.  It will be interesting to see what happens to him next season.

This is a wonderful post.

I have both loved and hated Floki--the demented leprachaun. You are right--we forget how he has saved Ragnar's butt and even how much he liked Bjorn.  At this moment his character is hanging in a cave enduring water torture, in a Crucifixion pose at that. I feel sorry for him.  

He is devout--he did kill Athelstan, but to him, so what? He's killed lots of people. He loves Ragnar truly, and thinks what he did was righteous. I would like him to live, even if exiled. That would be enough for him.  

I forgot to leave my favorites.

Favs-

Lagertha--because she's awesome.  Fierce, brave, beautiful--and can kick ass all day long. Brave warrior, mother, earl and then non-earl, just a super-woman.

Floki because he is a haunted, tortured soul and I think he plays it brilliantly.

Eckbert--because he is one wily, conniving sneaky baasstard, and he does it SO well. I live for his few words when he's on screen

Least favorites- Aslaug. Hate her, always have, always will. Nothing personal, she just bugged me from the first moment on screen. 

Rollo--Well, I love him and I hate him. He never fails to live up to my expectations. Cruel when he needs to be, super brave and fierce, the ultimate Viking.  Not the prodigal son, always in shadow--and yet--he is more important to history than any other.

Ragnar--I also love and hate him. I hated him when he tried to have Athelstan sacrificed without a further thought, at Upsalla. Hate that he's basically used all his friends up, until no one was left--the last friend alive, is Floki. After next week, he may be no friend left.  Love Travis Fimmel but the last year Ragnar changed more, has become darker. I loved it when he was fussin' and fighting with Lagertha and playing with his kids.

I'd also like to hate all the Franks as one. :)

• Love 1

Favourites : The brothers, Harald Finehair and Halfdan The Black (badass and ruthless characters so far)

Least Favourites : Bitch Aslaug, fat Saxon King Aelle and that pansy Emperor Charles.

I used to like Rollo when he was a crazy bear, then grew to dislike him due to his conversion to Christianity and his allegiance to the Franks, but regain faith when he stabbed that cowardly Frank and threw him off the boat.

I tend to like females on shows so...

Likes: Lageratha, Aslaug (I say screw Ragnar Lageratha and Aslaug should get together and take over).   I used to like Ragnar but this past season he has become an useless ass.

Dislike:. Rollo and Floki 

I'll play:

Favourite:  All of them except Floki.

Least Favourite:  Floki.  (Actor and character -- I don't like his rendition of Gollum, it's derivative; and, I don't like the two dimensions of Floki the Villain, it's boring.)