Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E27: Top 4 Perform

• Start Topic

What Disney song?

Tyanna singing "Circle of Life" from the Lion King.  Blerggg...she was never the same after that.  Its a song that doesn't work out of the movie or off the Broadway stage. I agree with everyone on her--she is the most talented of all of the final 4.  Its a shame that she veered off course.

• Love 1

Tyanna singing "Circle of Life" from the Lion King.  Blerggg...she was never the same after that.  Its a song that doesn't work out of the movie or off the Broadway stage. I agree with everyone on her--she is the most talented of all of the final 4.  Its a shame that she veered off course.

Oh, right, thanks.  That wasn't great.  I liked some of her later stuff, though.  I really liked Party in the USA.  I wish she'd sung more upbeat, youthful stuff.  

I wanted Tyana (sp?) to win and I have always felt like Rayvon has absolutely no personality at all. He just seems flat and empty to me. Its weird. I am certain that the only reason he has made it as far as he has is due to his looks. But even his eyes weird me out sometimes- hard to explain why.

It's funny you say that about Rayvon because I was thinking the same thing about Clark. If he was ugly would people be going as nuts over him as they are? The same could probably also be said for Nick.

I totally got what Clark was trying to say and, with it's flaws, I liked and enjoyed what he did with "Your Man."  Better than Josh Turner's and I like Josh Turner.  Good for him sticking up for his own brand of artistry.   Even if he did win, working with Borchetta and Big Machine would be a horror show for him.  He'd end up like Bo Bice - constantly in conflict with the people trying to mold him and ending up with an album he wouldn't be proud of.  

Seriously, that "Human" performance by Jax was horrific.  I do not get the effusive praise by the judges - it's so weird.  Really.  But saying all that, she is probably the best Borchetta is going to get out of this bunch.  None of them really fit the Big Machine "thing" but they can make her what they want her to be.

I heard Martina McBride sing SOR live many years ago so it was sad to hear how her voice couldn't do what it used to do.  She's a brilliant vocalist but that was hard to listen to.  

I would guess that the subject of Taylor Swift is ok on this thread because Borchetta only mentioned her name about nine thousand times.  No, she's not a great vocalist but she's a great entertainer and musician, amazing songwriter and seems like a very nice person.  She deserves her success and because of her songwriting ability will be around for a long, long time.  

Yes!  In Rayvon's package for the second song, he was hatless.

• Love 2

I never thought anyone voted for Rayvon over his looks. He's a good looking guy, I just didn't think he'd ever really be known as "the handsome guy" in the competition. The whole cast is pretty appealing on the eyes overall, compared to some of the recent years.

I'd say Jax should win this season, and that's not because I'm a fan. I've hated her shtick ever since she first appeared on TV; everything about her from the mononym name to the X sticker (I believe it means straight edge - not using drugs) on her face, but it seems clear that she's the only one Scott wants to do anything with. On a side note, I get annoyed at how much criticism he gets on shit that doesn't matter. I hear less complaints on what he says compared to how he apparently "looks like a pedophile" and crap like that, it's so rude.

Anyway, Jax seems to have no real identity, which seems like nothing but a positive for Big Machine if they can mold her into anything they want. I don't even think she would sell very well, but she has a bigger chance of doing anything than someone like Clark refusing to budge on music that isn't popular right now. As a viewer, I care more about sales figures more than I should, but I keep thinking a decent winner would prolong Idol's life and potentially make it relevant again. (huge long shot) Because of this, I don't care about the self-absorbed contestants (Jax) winning over someone else I like more if they wouldn't sell any records. 

BTW, are most of the posters who said JLo's outfit looked terrible women? I thought she was looking hot as always, although her critiques are almost always useless and I'm sick of her constant interruptions of other judges.

Neet, I thought JLo looked great too, but I couldn't figure out why the crop top was short and boxy and loose. She looked hot to me and I'm a woman with a bf. FWIW.

The OTT praise of Jax  has everything to do with Borchetta's need to have her be the next AI.  How in hell could he market her if she wasn't the winner?  "Hey, come hear the bleach-blonde, 2nd place, American Idol singer.  She's ain't great looking, not much of a singer, doesn't have her music--butwe aren't named Big Machine Marketing Group for no reason. We can make her a star--so climb on board!"  Sure....

Of course they don't want Clark!

Who said Borchetta was a pedophile? Maybe I just skim over that crap when people post it as its irrelevant. He is a moneymaker who doesnt care about quality. The world seems to be coming to that sad state.

(edited)

Do they really care who wins? Did they promote Caleb or Candice at all? I never heard from either of them ever again.

I agree with what Clark was saying. He has to be true to himself or it will be garbage. Like for instance if they had Tyanna bop around to Miley or Beyoncé, that would be ridiculo.... OH WAIT. Sigh.

Jax is so bad. And I do not get JLo's critique that it was great that Nick nailed a Matchbox 20 song. That is just as irrelevant as the music Clark is making. It's a lame, lame season. I hope Rayvon wins because why the hell not.

Edited by AndreaK1041
  • Love 1

Who said Borchetta was a pedophile? Maybe I just skim over that crap when people post it as its irrelevant. He is a moneymaker who doesnt care about quality. The world seems to be coming to that sad state.

I must skim over it, too, because I missed it.  I did see someone said Clark sings like a pedophile, to which I asked the obvious question.  

How did JAX start anyway?  It's not like anyone posts about TYANNA or CLARK or RAYVON or SCOTT.  

I find it hard to dislike Borchetta too much....a lot of people would kill to be the next pre-fabbed pop star, and to enjoy the fame and fortune that comes with it. I'm sure he feels like he's just making these people's dreams come true. "What's the harm in that?" he probably thinks?

Of course, the answer is "contributing to the death of pop music", but he may think that ship has sailed already.

He certainly seems not to be too obnoxious about it, the comment to Clark notwithstanding.

Do they really care who wins? Did they promote Caleb or Candice at all? I never heard from either of them ever again.

I agree with what Clark was saying. He has to be true to himself or it will be garbage. Like for instance if they had Tyanna bop around to Miley or Beyoncé, that would be ridiculo.... OH WAIT. Sigh.

Jax is so bad. And I do not get JLo's critique that it was great that Nick nailed a Matchbox 20 song. That is just as irrelevant as the music Clark is making. It's a lame, lame season. I hope Rayvon wins because why the hell not.

The comment is a "dis".  Matchbox 20 is irrelevant (now) and was never that important even when it was current--which was likely at the time Nick focused himself to music.  Sadly, he didn't evolve to "new" music.

The idea of "I'm an artist" vs. "I'm a big commercial success" has often been in conflict on Idol. I always kind of like the ones that are there as "artists" and have disdain for the whole "money/fame" thing.

That said, if you go on American Idol to win, thinking it's going to be about being an artist, you really haven't been paying attention.

• Love 1

I must skim over it, too, because I missed it.  I did see someone said Clark sings like a pedophile, to which I asked the obvious question.  

How did JAX start anyway?  It's not like anyone posts about TYANNA or CLARK or RAYVON or SCOTT.

I checked JAX's Twitter to see how it was really spelled. Her Twitter handle is @Jax but her name above is JAX so I'm not sure how it's really supposed to be spelled but I think it is supposed to be spelled with all caps.

The idea of "I'm an artist" vs. "I'm a big commercial success" has often been in conflict on Idol. I always kind of like the ones that are there as "artists" and have disdain for the whole "money/fame" thing.

That said, if you go on American Idol to win, thinking it's going to be about being an artist, you really haven't been paying attention.

IMO the contestants all know what they are signing up for, so if they don't want to have to deal with a major label dictating their music, then don't go on the show. The prize in the end is a recording contract. I realize a lot of them go on for the exposure more than the prize since only 1 person will win, but I'm sure everyone who tries out would also enjoy winning. You know what you could end up with if you win. Don't like it, don't audition. It seems rather ironic for these "artists" that claim to only care about the music and pretend like they don't enjoy the money or exposure to go on a reality singing show where 1. They are paid weekly to be on the show and 2. They are catapulted into overnight success and instant fame. IMO there's nothing wrong with wanting to make good music and be true to who you are but also want to be well known and make a living from it. None of them would be doing this show if they didn't want those things.

• Love 1

I finally watched the second half.  I wish I could've voted for Clark for defying Scott and his douche-bot.  I think I'm pretty typical of my demographic and I bet a lot of us are rubbed wrong by Scott and his annoying jackets and mottos.  He might actually WANT Clark and know viewers don't love him (Scott) and this might all have been reverse psychology.  Which makes me want Nick to win.  

The comment is a "dis".  Matchbox 20 is irrelevant (now) and was never that important even when it was current--which was likely at the time Nick focused himself to music.  Sadly, he didn't evolve to "new" music.

Nick is 29 and JLo is over 40.  I doubt he's mired in the 90s (and "sadly didn't evolve") and she was dissing him by saying he did a good job on a rock icon's song.  Thomas has probably sold more than most of Borchetta's stable.  

I checked JAX's Twitter to see how it was really spelled. Her Twitter handle is @Jax but her name above is JAX so I'm not sure how it's really supposed to be spelled but I think it is supposed to be spelled with all caps.

Her name above what?  I checked the AI site and it's not all caps.  Not that it matters.  It just looks extra stupid as JAX.  

I finally watched the second half. I wish I could've voted for Clark for defying Scott and his douche-bot. I think I'm pretty typical of my demographic and I bet a lot of us are rubbed wrong by Scott and his annoying jackets and mottos. He might actually WANT Clark and know viewers don't love him (Scott) and this might all have been reverse psychology. Which makes me want Nick to win.

Nick is 29 and JLo is over 40. I doubt he's mired in the 90s (and "sadly didn't evolve") and she was dissing him by saying he did a good job on a rock icon's song. Thomas has probably sold more than most of Borchetta's stable.

Her name above what? I checked the AI site and it's not all caps. Not that it matters. It just looks extra stupid as JAX.

Her name above where it says @Jax.

I finally watched the second half. I wish I could've voted for Clark for defying Scott and his douche-bot. I think I'm pretty typical of my demographic and I bet a lot of us are rubbed wrong by Scott and his annoying jackets and mottos. He might actually WANT Clark and know viewers don't love him (Scott) and this might all have been reverse psychology. Which makes me want Nick to win.

Nick is 29 and JLo is over 40. I doubt he's mired in the 90s (and "sadly didn't evolve") and she was dissing him by saying he did a good job on a rock icon's song. Thomas has probably sold more than most of Borchetta's stable.

Her name above what? I checked the AI site and it's not all caps. Not that it matters. It just looks extra stupid as JAX.

Her name above where it says @Jax. Like how Quentin's Twitter is Quentin Alexander but his actual handle is @QAlexanderXIV.

It does seem to go both ways on Twitter. I didn't even think of Jax being short for Jacksonville.  JAX is their airport code, too.  

All four seem to have hometown visit pics up.  Isn't that usually just the final 3?  

I would guess that the subject of Taylor Swift is ok on this thread because Borchetta only mentioned her name about nine thousand times.  No, she's not a great vocalist but she's a great entertainer and musician, amazing songwriter and seems like a very nice person.  She deserves her success and because of her songwriting ability will be around for a long, long time.  

I will believe she writes her own songs only if someone locks her into a room alone with only her guitar and a pad and pencil, and she emerges with some new stuff....both lyrics and music. And I need witnesses.

At least Nick is getting a beautiful weekend here in CT.

What is the theme this week??? Oh wait, doesn't matter....it will be any song they feel like singing (or  have been forced to sing).

• Love 2

Possible themes this week:

A Song I Know

A Song That Exists

A Song With Notes

A Song With Lyrics

A Song With A Title

A Song With Instrumental Accompaniment

Could be any one of those!  Whatever it is, won't it be exciting to see what the contestants do with it?!!  Wheeeeee!!!!

• Love 9

Great American Standards that were Covered by Big Bands. Now get out there and be current!

Actually, they may be getting the "one picked by you, one picked by the judges" treatment since it was Hometowns Week.

• Love 1

It's Judges' Pick, Scott's Pick, and Hometown Song which is chosen by the contestants. Some song spoilers have already been posted on MJs. So far, all 3 of JAX's gave been revealed. Scott's pick for her sucks.

• Love 2

It's Judges' Pick, Scott's Pick, and Hometown Song which is chosen by the contestants. Some song spoilers have already been posted on MJs. So far, all 3 of JAX's gave been revealed. Scott's pick for her sucks.

Don't you mean "sux"?  Thank you, folks, I'll be here all week!  Drive safely!

• Love 6

Oh it sure does.  I'm not sure if he's stupid or is bussing her or wants us to send her sympathy votes.  I'm already embarrassed for her.