Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Virtual Reality Bites

If anyone's Spike, it could be Blaine, if he somehow joins the heroes later on. Lowell doesn't seem like a villain so far, but who knows, his agenda is unclear, he may very well be exactly what he seems to be (although I would kinda prefer something more interesting).

Edited by FurryFury

Thanks, I was getting Lowell mixed up with Blaine. Yes, Blaine is who I pictured as Spike. Beyond the obvious (English, Billy Idol hair - I know, Billy took his look from Spike, lol), I get such a deja vu whenever he's onscreen. 

I really hope they don't make Lowell evil. Or kill him off. I really like him and him and Liv together. Especially when she whistled at him after he came out of the studio or wherever he was. I also loved when she called off sick on their date and started trying with an excuse and then just said "Yeah I ate an agorophobe's brain". LOL

I was under the impression from the preview that Liv had eaten brains the made her a little spacey and I was really looking forward to it. I think it hurt my enjoyment of my first run through of this episode a little bit because I kept wondering when Liv was going to get spaced out... only to find out the scene from the preview was the last squad room scene with her on drugs.... That was definitely my most favorite scene of the episode.

I know Jackie was a liability but she has a business and clients. Makes me wonder if that will get tracked back to Blaine somehow.

Does anyone else wonder if the kid that turned Major onto the videos from the skate park was a zombie? I'm sure I'm way off but he was really pale and the blond hair...... just made me do a double take.

The gaming sequence was a ton of fun. I loved Liv trying to manager her mother and the game at the same time.

I really am worried about Liv's brother. Not because I think Blaine will try to zombie him but because he may try to use him against Liv and that would suck.

Another great episode though. I definitely really liked it the 2nd time I watched it, when I wasn't expecting spacey Liv for the whole episode.

• Love 1
Does anyone else wonder if the kid that turned Major onto the videos from the skate park was a zombie? I'm sure I'm way off but he was really pale and the blond hair...... just made me do a double take.

Absolutely I thought about the same thing. But his coloring looked natural and presumably they had seen each other before. So I think it's just the show playing with us.

• Love 2

I thought that kid looked remarkably like young, blonde Bradley James. I don't imagine it means anything, but I've been struck by it. Same blonde, same bones, same anglo saxon Ken nose...

Edited by Julia

I hope that Lowell isn't evil or hiding a secret agenda.  I like the idea of Liv having a boyfriend who really gets her, plus he's someone she can have sexy times with and not have to worry about turning him or killing him accidently.  Seeing Blain seems to have a healthy sex drive, there's no reason to think that zombification blunted Liv's like it blunted her taste buds.

• Love 1

The problem is if Lowell won't be involved in the main plot in any other way that just being her boyfriend, he'll soon become obsolete. Making him have some hidden motives (which doesn't mean he'll be a full-on villain) or maybe some yet unrevealed connection to the company that distributes Utopium would make him a more viable character in the long run. I like the actor and think they have pretty good chemistry together, so I'd prefer for him to stick around as something more than simply a love interest.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

If by "drug people" you mean Blaine distributing utopium, it's unclear if he's connected to Max Rider or Max whatstheirname. We only know that the company may be the source of Utopium. I don't remember how Lowell's connected to the energy drink people though, I thought he just hung around Not Dick Casablancas and Liv's ex-sorority sister. And also, it seems he was scratched, so it's not the Utopium (what's the point of Utopium? It doesn't look like it can zombify people, although I used to think it could).

Lowell said that his record label is with Max Rider/Raider(?) company. Not Dick also said that drink kills 1 out of 1000 people or something, that's why the adrenaline junkie sorority sister was killed. Now I don't know if killed is code for turn into a zombie or not.

I'm still unclear on Utopium, does it only turn some people, or do you have to take a lot for a period of time? It looked like most of Liv's boat party was doing it and turned, but then there would be more because the "Candyman" has been passing out the drug for months. Unless Blaine is not only adding his turned people but also all the drug addicts that become zombies onto his client list.

Edited by Sakura12

The drug dealers who tried to take Blaine into their boss said something went wrong with the Utopium Blaine sold at the party, and that it had been cut with something else.  Presumably Blaine was sampling his own stock, and the contaminated drug turned him into a zombie.  So it may not be the Utopium or the energy drink, but a third substance/virus/mutagen that ended up in the other two.

• Love 1

I like Lowell and hope he's not evil -- I think his scenes with Liv are cute.  The first "almost-kiss" was really well done.

I hope Clive realizes that Blaine was trying too hard to squick him out (and apparently succeeding) -- he obviously had something to hide back there.

This such a fun show -- I'm glad I gave it a chance!

ETA: I had to look up "gulai otak" -- wow, that was SUBTLE!

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2

I just could not get over the liquified brain shake. Why do I watch this show with food?

Loved Liv with Lowell -- "Wait, I can just tell you the truth." A good start to a healthy relationship when you don't lie to the other person! Also Lowell dropped by to see how Liv was doing and Liv went to see him in the end and they were honest and nice to each other. Of course that probably means they're doomed

Yeah, I thought that was great and so far Lowell does seem to be perfect - and perfectly vague about how he was turned. I hope he's not directly working for Blaine even if Blaine zombified him.

Is Major's name really "Major Lilywhite"??

(edited)

Yes, his last name is mentioned later, but it was also in the promo materials.

(Or was it just sarcasm? Sorry, hard to tell)

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1
(edited)

The drug dealers who tried to take Blaine into their boss said something went wrong with the Utopium Blaine sold at the party, and that it had been cut with something else.  Presumably Blaine was sampling his own stock, and the contaminated drug turned him into a zombie.  So it may not be the Utopium or the energy drink, but a third substance/virus/mutagen that ended up in the other two.

Since they mentioned the 1/1000 goes all violent outburst thing and the connection between the boat party I've been under the impression it's specifically the combination of the utopium and the energy drink, or possibly that whatever ingredient in Max Rager causes the psychotic episodes is the same thing that the drugs were cut with. So it sort of amounts to the same thing. It could be the Max Rager and the drugs were at some point contaminated with the same (third) thing, but I'm so far guessing it's moreso "secret ingredient that is normally in the drink but only causes very-bad symptoms 1/1000 of the time" when combined with the drug=zombification. Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

Since they mentioned the 1/1000 goes all violent outburst thing and the connection between the boat party I've been under the impression it's specifically the combination of the utopium and the energy drink, or possibly that whatever ingredient in Max Rager causes the psychotic episodes is the same thing that the drugs were cut with. So it sort of amounts to the same thing. It could be the Max Rager and the drugs were at some point contaminated with the same thing, but I'm so far guessing it's moreso "secret ingredient that is normally in the drink but only causes very-bad symptoms 1/1000 of the time" when combined with the drug=zombification.

Responded in the iHave iQuestions: How Do Things Work in This Universe? thread.

I held off on watching this show for so long and now I just watched six episodes in one sitting. I could not stop. The only reason I'm stopping now is because I ran out of episodes on hulu. Nice boyfriend is nice but I'm loving Lowell. I knew the evil zombie would be bad news the second I recognized him from Once Upon a Time. How often do people play against type? Is this filmed in Canada? I feel like I'm hearing a lot of Canadian accents. I'm loving the show. My one big issue right now is that aside from Liv we don't have a lot of prominent female characters. Most of the people in her life are guys. She pushes her mom and her best friend away. And Marcy is never coming back. I'm interested to see where they go from here.