Type keyword(s) to search

Star Wars: Rogue One (2016)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

Does anyone have the faintest idea why I can't preorder the Blu Ray, given that official release date has already been announced?  I don't want it exclusively for streaming.

1 hour ago, starri said:

Does anyone have the faintest idea why I can't preorder the Blu Ray, given that official release date has already been announced?  I don't want it exclusively for streaming.

I've read somewhere that Amazon and Disney are fighting about the prices of the Blu-rays; Disney wants to increase prices and Amazon does not. That's just what I read reading through comments on Amazon. The same thing happened to me with Doctor Strange and Moana. Doctor Strange only became available to order on Amazon Canada, the day it released everywhere, and Moana is still unavailable for pre-ordering.

Well, perf.

I got tired of waiting, so I preordered from Best Buy.  Which means I have to go there to pick it up, and the Ali Forney Center misses on its few micro-cents from Amazon Smile.  Win/win.

I finally saw this last night at a local theatre. I actually surprisingly wasn't that spoiled. I have to admit it was just okay for me, not bad by any means, but I'd put it behind The Force Awakens. The story was pretty good, but I felt like something was missing, maybe more character development. I did like that sarcastic robot lol. I also liked the monk guys, though the one seemed more like Daredevil then a possible Jedi.

I was very surprised they killed everyone at the end, I guess they really didn't want to do a sequel with those characters. They could have been easily in the background during the stuff in Return of the Jedi. I thought at least the two leads would have made it.

So I just saw this.  

I liked it as much if not more than Force Awakens. In general though I really enjoy expanding the universe away from the force and the Skywalkers.  This was the first "star wars" movie imho where I though the acting and characterization was good.   I was rooting for them all from the first frame. 

The first thing that stuck me was that I thought Cassian and Jin's "romance", for what it was, was the first time ironically I have bought two people really into each other in the Star Wars universe.  Leia and Han were close but they had to soften to the Leia character to make it work so it always seemed to me like she would get bored with him. 

CGI Tarkin didn't work that well. He looked sick the entire time?  But I guess if I didn't know he was dead I might not have noticed. Leia I thought looked slightly off but it wasn't enough to take me out of it. 

I guess I just had one question... why did the blind guy and his BFF join Rogue one? Did I miss it or was that never explained? 

• Love 1

I guess I just had one question... why did the blind guy and his BFF join Rogue one? Did I miss it or was that never explained? 

My guess is that they pissed because the empire destroyed their home planet and temple. So they desired to fight against them.

They initially joined up with Jyn because Chirrut sensed her Kyber necklace and saw that as a sign from the Force to pay attention to her and help her. Baze just followed along because Chirrut was his only remaining friend and he wanted to try to keep him alive.

Also, the Empire had shut down and looted their temple, kicking them out into the city streets, and then destroyed it and the city they were living in with a weapon powered by the stuff they'd looted from their temple, so, you know, the Empire gives no shortage of reasons to people to want to fight them.

• Love 2

I was just wondering this morning why we hadn't got the Honest Trailer yet! It usually comes out right after the Blu Ray is released.

26 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

And damn, I didn't know a lot got cut out.

The director talked about it in the recent interviews for the Blu Ray. He said the third act was too long so they made changes to shorten it that forced a lot of cuts. Like they made the dish be at the same place as where the files were stored so the part with Jyn and Cassian running on the beach wasn't necessary.

Edited by VCRTracking
5 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I was just wondering this morning why we hadn't got the Honest Trailer yet! It usually comes out right after the Blu Ray is released.

My theory: not enough comments asking for "Rouge One," so Screen Junkies swapped it with Tokyo Drift. That would've been logical to run this week, since Fate of The Furious comes out this Friday.

"Iamonewiththeforce, theforceiswithme . . . " "That's not how the Force works!!!" Great end scene.

5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

And damn, I didn't know a lot got cut out.

At the very least, the scene with Jyn and the TIE fighter was never actually in the movie.  They only filmed it for the trailer.

(edited)

From the Hollywood Reporter:

Tony Gilroy on 'Rogue One' Reshoots: They Were in "Terrible Trouble"

"If you look at Rogue, all the difficulty with Rogue, all the confusion of it … and all the mess, and in the end when you get in there, it's actually very, very simple to solve," Gilroy said of the film. "Because you sort of go, 'This is a movie where, folks, just look. Everyone is going to die.' So it's a movie about sacrifice."

He saw the opportunity to explore why the film's characters — played by stars Felicity Jones, Diego Luna and Donnie Yen — would ultimately sacrifice themselves at the end of the film in order to allow the Rebels to gain the plans to the Death Star.

Choosing his words carefully, Gilroy signaled how much of the project  was changed after he boarded. (Star Ben Mendelsohn has said "an enormously different" version of the film exists.)

"I came in after the director's cut. I have a screenplay credit in the arbitration that was easily won," said Gilroy.

Unlike lifelong fans like Star Wars: The Last Jedi's Rian Johnson, Gilroy was not a fan of the franchise before boarding and therefore had no trepidation about potentially messing it up.

"I've never been interested in Star Wars, ever. So I had no reverence for it whatsoever. I was unafraid about that," said Gilroy. "And they were in such a swamp … they were in so much terrible, terrible trouble that all you could do was improve their position."

Ouch. I will say Gareth Edwards still managed to put an indelible stamp on the movie by filming that Darth Vader hallway scene months befoe the movie was released.

Edited by VCRTracking
(edited)

After a disappointing re-watch of The Last Jedi, I watched Rogue One again. Still thoroughly enjoyable, and I'd probably put RO third in my ranking of Star Wars movies.

I really like the feel of those old war movies where a team of misfits has to complete a dangerous mission behind enemy lines--and you know it won't end well for them.

And the Vader scene is one my favorites among all the Star Wars movies.

Edited by WritinMan
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, WritinMan said:

After a disappointing re-watch of The Last Jedi, I watched Rogue One again. Still thoroughly enjoyable, and I'd probably put RO third in my ranking of Star Wars movies.

I really like the feel of those old war movies where a team of misfits has to complete a dangerous mission behind enemy lines--and you know it won't end well for them.

And the Vader scene is one my favorites among all the Star Wars movies.

I enjoyed it when it was in theaters and I still like watching parts of it like the end battle but I think I wish it was actually longer. Those old wars movies like The Dirty Dozen and The Great Escape were close to three hours which allowed you to take time to know and care about the characters so you were really emotionally invested in them and it hurt when they did die. Just an extra ten minutes of Jyn and the team interacting and getting closer before the mission would have been great.

• Love 2

<fuming>  I got the Fandango head’s-up yesterday, but the only showings are an hour away!  Hey! We got IMAX on this side of town too!

Did a rewatch of the last 45 min (about from the time R1 lands on the planet), and was intermittently weepy all the way through.  Truth in advertising: I identify as an OT purist, and as such, I think the last hour of this film wipes the floor with all the Disney movies/series that followed.  (Excepting Baby Y, of course.  I am GroguStan4Evr)