Type keyword(s) to search

Emma Swan: 1000% done with your infuriating optimism

• Start Topic

(edited)

I feel like the writers are playing a game of he loves me, he loves me not with various character traits of Emma such that each episode alternates between things. In one episode, Emma's superpower is completely fine. In the next, it's nonexistent. She's all in to commit to a lifetime with Hook. In the next episode, she's not sure that she shouldn't move on. It's not just Emma though. Two episodes ago, Gideon was working to reforge the sword to kill Emma and then in the next, he was sending Hook off to set up an extortion plan to gain Emma's assistance. It feels like I've missed entire episodes that would explain these developments. If I'm having trouble following what's going on with this, how do people who casually watch this show feel? 

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, KAOS Agent said:

If I'm having trouble following what's going on with this, how do people who casually watch this show feel? 

One of my casual viewer friends watched yesterday's episode with me. She missed a few episodes here and there this season and relies on me to recap. She's insanely confused. 

10 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

If I'm having trouble following what's going on with this, how do people who casually watch this show feel? 

My wife is a casual viewer, and she thinks Emma is a wishy-washy flake. And like you said, the other storylines are so convoluted and confusing, that she just overlooks most of it and tries to pay attention to the characters she cares about. "Oh, Gideon's not trying to kill Emma anymore? Huh." "Didn't Hook just leave, like yesterday??" "So they're blaming all of Rumple's Dark One-ness on his teenage son? Oh, ok." "Does that mean Snow and Charming are actually dead in that other realm? Is no one pissed about that?"

It actually sounds pretty stupid when you put it in that type of perspective.

• Love 8

I thought Jen got it wrong with her choices on Dark Swan's outfits too. I know she did research and there is symbolism and everything - but she doesn't have the best fashion sense. I'm fine with her having input in Emma's backstory, feelings, motivations, etc - I find she usually knocks that out of the park. Clothes just aren't her strong suit IMO. But then, that's subjective after all.

I agree with this. Jen does a lot of research and puts a lot of effort into her work, but she should not have a hand in wardrobe and hair/makeup. Emma is not Jen, but Jen's influence has been her personal preferences that don't mesh with Emma's established style and that shouldn't have been allowed by the powers that be. I don't totally blame her because someone has let her have this much influence and I don't think she has enough clout or diva-ness to have demanded it. Emma's wardrobe does not make sense this year. A lot of the looks are kind of ugly to be honest and really don't go with what has been shown for the majority of the shows run. 

And I don't want to be the jerk who says she's not wearing enough makeup, but TV is a visual medium and lack of makeup is way more obvious on television so she looks tired/washed out/sick when in real life she looks totally fine. That's kind of how it is. She doesn't need to be wearing mascara, eye makeup, or even lipstick. But some blush, lip gloss, something would make a huge difference in making her look less stressed and tired now. And then the ponytail. Again, before the end of season five, I think she had only done one or two ponytail looks the entire series and even then they were sort of stylized ponytails. I just don't understand why Jen or the makeup people think a no effort Emma shows she is happy and walls down. Let her hair loose and put on some blush and I'm there with ya. No makeup makeup is a thing. She's the only lady on the show who doesn't seem to wear makeup and I don't really understand it. Light makeup don't take long. 

I hated the Dark Swan wardrobe. It was boring, lacked detail or visual interest and was way too restrained for a possessed with darkness Emma. How many freaking looks has EQ had? Probably over 50. But Dark Swan in Storybrooke had two or three and they were all black leather. Again, they shouldn't have let Jen have so much control of her wardrobe. 

• Love 2

I loved the Dark Swan wardrobe and Jen's makeup choices for that. The Camelot outfits were gorgeous too. The lack of makeup in the Underworld arc fit Emma's state of mind too, IMO. But Season 6 Emma has been so off in almost everything--makeup, hair, outfits, characterization, etc..

Eduardo only cares about outfits for female villains where he can be over the top. He's not good in dressing people for normal stuff. Look at the travesty of outfits Ginny has been given. I think he was happy to let Jen take over her wardrobe choices, for better or worse because he couldn't be bothered. 

• Love 3

Thank you for saying this. I know a big argument with the anti-CS crowd is that being with Hook is making Emma look sick. While I don't agree with that, I do agree that she has not looked good at all this season. I don't understand the middle part, messy ponytail that looks like she didn't even use a brush. She's been wearing it that way in almost every episode since 5x21. And with no makeup on she looks washed out and sick. At first I thought it had to do with all she was going through on the show, but now I see that in real life JMo is wearing her hair the same way and I have to wonder if it was just the actress' preference. 

• Love 1

I think it's just personal fashion preferences. I didn't like it when the makeup department made all the ladies put on fake lashes somewhere during Season 3 or 4, and I'm also an advocate for women going for a natural look if they want to. Why do women always have to wear makeup but men don't? You never see comments about the men on the show looking washed out and tired, but because society is so used to seeing women with makeup on, we are quick to criticize them when they don't wear makeup. Emma is the Savior and the Sheriff, so minimal makeup and tying her hair back is probably more practical for her character. If she's going on a date with Hook, cool, wear that makeup and those princess curls, but battling monsters shouldn't require perfect hair and makeup. So often, we see women in superhero movies or cop shows where their hair is perfectly curled and hair sprayed and let down, but if they're running around chasing bad guys all day, that long hair flopping all over the place would get old very quickly.

• Love 3

Curio, I agree with you generally, but to be fair, I think all the men on the show ARE wearing make-up. But I actually don't care what she wears (clothes and makeup) when in "normal Emma" mode, I just wanted something pretty for the special moment. Something like the white dress she wore in Camelot would have been fine, too.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kktjones said:

Thank you for saying this. I know a big argument with the anti-CS crowd is that being with Hook is making Emma look sick. While I don't agree with that, I do agree that she has not looked good at all this season. I don't understand the middle part, messy ponytail that looks like she didn't even use a brush. She's been wearing it that way in almost every episode since 5x21. And with no makeup on she looks washed out and sick. At first I thought it had to do with all she was going through on the show, but now I see that in real life JMo is wearing her hair the same way and I have to wonder if it was just the actress' preference. 

That's why I haven't brought it up as well. It's not just no makeup that makes her look strained and tired. It's the tight ponytail and the tense expressions that are pretty consistently on Jen's face this season. (She has a lot on her plate right now so that's fair. lol) I don't think the lack of makeup has any actual meaning this season, but it did in season four and five, so why has it continued when it was a deliberate choice before to show her struggle with darkness in 4B and her intense stress and sadness in 5B?

47 minutes ago, Curio said:

I think it's just personal fashion preferences. I didn't like it when the makeup department made all the ladies put on fake lashes somewhere during Season 3 or 4, and I'm also an advocate for women going for a natural look if they want to. Why do women always have to wear makeup but men don't? You never see comments about the men on the show looking washed out and tired, but because society is so used to seeing women with makeup on, we are quick to criticize them when they don't wear makeup. Emma is the Savior and the Sheriff, so minimal makeup and tying her hair back is probably more practical for her character. If she's going on a date with Hook, cool, wear that makeup and those princess curls, but battling monsters shouldn't require perfect hair and makeup. So often, we see women in superhero movies or cop shows where their hair is perfectly curled and hair sprayed and let down, but if they're running around chasing bad guys all day, that long hair flopping all over the place would get old very quickly.

I totally agree no one should wear makeup unless they want to. I don't wear makeup a lot of the time myself. I don't like that it's expected of women. However, I'm not talking about a woman in real life. I think Jen looks beautiful if she wears makeup or not. But lack of makeup on film looks different than in does in real life. And we've gone from full makeup (which I also agree was way too much) to what looks like just foundation. So they actually flatten out her face because there's no natural coloring at the cheeks and then they don't seem to add anything else. And yes, the guys are all wearing makeup. Every actor on screen in wearing some amount of makeup so that they look good on camera. 

I get what you're saying about the Sheriff thing, but when she was much more active in that role was when she had the most makeup and the most curled princess hair (which I thought was weird anyways). So what changed? What reason in text is there for such a change in how Emma looks? I don't think there is one, but when you have such a big change in how a character looks it signals that it changed for a reason. Seems like in this case the reason is outside of text (Jen's preferences). 

• Love 3

I believe the reason Emma doesn't have the big princess curls anymore was because they didn't "hold" in the Vancouver weather and so they'd constantly need to be re-curled for a scene to stay consistent. Jen has a lot of hair, very thick, so it was very difficult to style. But for the make up, I really have no idea. It's not because she's opposed to it IRL, because she wears it at events.

Well, she looked at wedding venues and its come up a couple times in Charming's thread does anyone have any guesses what kind of wedding Emma would actually want? A big fairytale wedding? Small? Tiny with maybe just Hook, Henry, and her parents. On the Jolly Roger? Las Vegas?

Emma seemed pretty smiley when Hook mentioned getting married on the Jolly Roger. It seems like she doesn't care what kind of wedding it is at all - I'd say she just wants to marry Hook and everything else is just decoration. I've actually been trying to figure out what Emma would have wanted for her wedding when she was younger. She grew up with no family so if she ever thought about getting married she probably didn't think there'd be a lot of guests or parents to walk her down the aisle or did she dream of lots of family and friends celebrating her day so that's the type she'd like? 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, superloislane said:

Emma seemed pretty smiley when Hook mentioned getting married on the Jolly Roger. It seems like she doesn't care what kind of wedding it is at all - I'd say she just wants to marry Hook and everything else is just decoration. I've actually been trying to figure out what Emma would have wanted for her wedding when she was younger. She grew up with no family so if she ever thought about getting married she probably didn't think there'd be a lot of guests or parents to walk her down the aisle or did she dream of lots of family and friends celebrating her day so that's the type she'd like? 

She did seem pretty happy when Hook mentioned that. It would fit them better. I don't really see Emma wanting a big traditional or fairytale wedding.

Edited by andromeda331

I think Emma would be fine getting married in a registry office. She's pretty much just going along with the wedding planning because it makes her mother happy. Hook seemed to want more input than Emma.  The only really positive reaction Emma had was getting married on the sea and that's because I think she cares most about Hook's feelings on the subject. It's his wedding too. Mostly, I think Emma has never been a big dreamer about her wedding. She didn't think it would ever happen for her and she had other things to worry about. Food, shelter, bullies and abuse in foster homes tend to be top of mind over grand weddings. I don't think it's a big deal to her. Also, Emma is possibly going to die soon. The Final Battle is coming, don't you know. (Or is it already here?) She'd rather enjoy her potential last days with round after round of hot sex than looking at wedding venues and cake tastings. 

• Love 9
(edited)

I was watching the Jen/Colin panel from the Vancouver con, and Jen said something interesting. Someone asked about the most difficult scene to shoot and she was explaining it's those emotionally draining ones when you have to sustain that emotion over a 12 hour day. So she talked about the Season 1 finale when Henry eats the poisoned turnover, etc. But then she says she also recently filmed another scene that beats that in terms of how intensely emotional it was. I can't for the life of me figure out what scene she could be talking about. It would be something between 14 and 20, as she inferred it hadn't aired yet and they hadn't started filming the finale. Perhaps one of the scenes in the musical - the one in Regina's office with the Black Fairy or the sheriff station with Henry? Any ideas?

Here's the link to the video

Edited by Kktjones
24 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

But then she says she also recently filmed another scene that beats that in terms of how intensely emotional it was. I can't for the life of me figure out what scene she could be talking about.

Would the breakup/engagement break with Hook fit? There was all the devastation of her heart being broken and feeling betrayed and disappointed after letting her walls down, plus having to sustain that level of anger over a day of shooting, and the anger is directed at someone her character loves who is played by a very close friend, so she spent a day yelling at her friend. Not to mention having to rationalize it in her head and make it make sense to play when it was actually kind of out of the blue and was set up by a bunch of stuff that was totally out of character for Emma.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

Would the breakup/engagement break with Hook fit?

I thought about this, but given it was a short, stand-alone scene (and one in which she didn't even cry), I just can't imagine that being more "intensely emotional" than all the multiple scenes with Henry (bringing him to the hospital, trying to save him, thinking he died, waking him, etc.) that likely took all day to shoot. The fight scene probably only took an hour or two tops. I really can't think of any scenes this entire season that would come close to matching that, honestly. Unless there was more to the fight scene, or one of the scenes I mentioned in the musical, that was cut.

On the other hand, I can think of several scenes in S5 that would seem to be extremely emotional and draining - the "I am not nothing! I was never nothing!" scene comes to mind. As do a couple different ones in Birth when Hook dies, when she kills him in Swan Song, and when she has to leave him in the underworld in Firebird. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

On the other hand, I can think of several scenes in S5 that would seem to be extremely emotional and draining - the "I am not nothing! I was never nothing!" scene comes to mind. As do a couple different ones in Birth when Hook dies, when she kills him in Swan Song, and when she has to leave him in the underworld in Firebird. 

She's mentioned the scene of killing Hook as being really tough to get through. But I would think that sustaining anger for a long time might be more draining than even tears. Yelling is physical activity, and it requires a lot of intensity. It was also a long time after the breakup before there would have been any positive catharsis.

Another possibility might have been the "he never loved me" scene. That required tears, and because it was in the bar with a lot of stuff going on in the background, that might have taken longer to shoot. And, again, there would have been the additional strain of it being really hard for an actor to get into that state when it didn't make a lot of sense for the character. Trying to sell the idea that Emma would ever actually believe that Hook had never loved her would be tough.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think Jennifer Morrison's best work this season has been her "Emma's Theme" song in the musical episode.  The character finally got to vocalize her inner thoughts and show some genuine emotion.  Upon rewatch, I was quite moved by that scene.  Dwarfed anything in the lame actual finale.  But I do find it strange how the lyrics of that song makes it seem like her life was ruined because of The Black Fairy.  It would have been nice if she (or Snow) had ever gotten to unleash this pent up anger at Regina or Rumple, who were more directly responsible for the original Curse.  The lyrics imply that she was given up because she was the one who had to save the world against the Black Fairy, which was totally not the case.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, Camera One said:

The lyrics imply that she was given up because she was the one who had to save the world against the Black Fairy, which was totally not the case.  

That's where the Savior mythology is so muddled. She was given up because she was the Savior destined to break the curse, but now they're saying that I guess she'd have been the Savior anyway? And because of that she was destined to fight the Black Fairy? If it hadn't been for that, would she still have been a Savior for the curse, or maybe a lower-case savior? Or was being the Savior what made it possible for her to be the cursebreaker? Would there have been no breaking of the curse if Emma hadn't happened to be a Savior?

I don't think the writers have the slightest idea.

• Love 1
(edited)

Emma's walls were originally painted as a double-edged sword. Take this line from 1x07:

Mary Margaret: "But, Emma, that wall of yours? It may keep out pain but it also may keep out love."

The writers only have part of the puzzle mapped out. Yes, Emma's walls keep out love, but they also keep out pain. It is actually healthy to have boundaries. Emma just had too many, too high. We've seen in flashbacks that when she didn't have walls, she was hurt. But in the present, when we saw she did, she was missing out on love. We never see her rewarded for opening herself up in the past, and we never see her effectively guarding herself later on. It's "bad" that as a child she was too trusting, but it's also "bad" that she doesn't 100% unequivocally hand her soul out to any one person around her. It's very polarizing.

Honestly, I find it dumb that Emma met nothing but nutcases, irresponsible, or people trying to take advantage of her growing up. The one exception is Cleo, but she died five minutes later and imo she wasn't that mentally stable. I understand the writers had to make sure Emma was extremely hardboiled, but they overdo it. First it started with orphanages and Neal, then Lily, Ingrid, and Cleo got tacked on. Not to mention the bullies in every single group home. Yes, Emma grew up in a big scary world, but how did she turn into a good person? What prevented her from being as resentful as Lily or Rumple? Was it just the fetus lobotomy?

Then there's August. What exactly was the point of keeping him away from her? If the writers are convinced they're besties, why wasn't he a friend she grew up with? I could see if August's character was intended to be a douchebag, but he was never framed as such. What I think they did was introduce him as mysterious character in S1. After that, they had to explain why Emma didn't recognize him and how her life was still crappy. He was nothing but a cool idea.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

The WALLS Emma origin story as told in the Cleo flashback made no sense.  It was basically Insta-Walls.  She went from naive, open, emotional, to the complete opposite when she put on the leather jacket.  They might as well have shown her merging with Cleo's ghost exiting the body as the latter died, since it was pretty much that stupid.  

• Love 3

The Cleo story was like a case study for the problems with this show. It was a contrived scenario that contradicted established continuity (Sidney's research on Emma found that she was clean after the trouble she had as a teen, and he should have been able to find info if she had a bounty hunter after her two years earlier), and it was entirely unnecessary. They'd already set up plenty of reasons for Emma to have "walls" and need armor. What with being seemingly abandoned by her parents, given up by foster parents, bounced among various other foster homes, Ingrid, Lily, and then Neal letting her end up pregnant and in jail and ditching her, her having walls would be totally expected. It wasn't something they needed to contrive to explain. It's not even as though they needed to explain the red leather jacket. I have lots of items in my wardrobe that make me feel powerful and confident just because I like them and feel good in them. There doesn't have to be a story behind them. And the flashback didn't really do anything to enhance, explain, or set up the main story. Her being upset about losing a person she'd known for a day didn't have anything to do with her having to open up and show her love for Hook (given that she had gone to the Underworld to save him, I think we'd figured that out) or with having to let him go.

If they had to explain the jacket, I think I would have had her find a cheap vinyl or pleather one in some charity clothes she was allowed to pick through when she was released from jail, and she took it as her armor when re-entering the world, later buying a real leather one when she turned her life around and had money. If they wanted to tell the story of how she got into the bail bonds business, they set that up early in season one when she tells Mary Margaret that she got into it because she'd had practice in looking for people, implying that she'd tried to find her parents. She could have run into a "Cleo" figure while she was trying to find Neal after getting out of jail and encountered someone else trying to find him and impressed that she'd managed to figure out as much as she did, so she got a mentor bringing her into the business.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Camera One said:

The WALLS Emma origin story as told in the Cleo flashback made no sense.  It was basically Insta-Walls.  She went from naive, open, emotional, to the complete opposite when she put on the leather jacket.  They might as well have shown her merging with Cleo's ghost exiting the body as the latter died, since it was pretty much that stupid.  

Neal should have been the WALLS origin story. For a while, it was. Adding all the extra characters really cheapened what he did to Emma and how it affected her. It's a shame, because other than August's meddling, it felt very organic and believable.

• Love 4
(edited)

Emma should have met Jafar in jail, who takes her to the Cave of Wonders.  Jafar betrays her, but she is rescued by Edmond Dantes, her cellmate, who advises her to put up WALLS since people only let you down.  Emma then accidentally drinks the memory tea that Jafar leaves behind and she forgets everything.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Cleo-backstory weakened Emma as a character. So, the "badass" Emma Swan from the pilot became that way because she  copied someone she knew for 5 minutes, right down to her moves. The writers  retconning the major plot point of Emma only having sealed juvvie records was another absurdity. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 6

Season 6 as a whole did a real number on the character... lying about the death visions, helpless with the shaky hands, boring conversations with Aladdin, barely a match against Hyde or The Evil Queen, the fallout of the Hook Killed David's Father plot, etc.  With writing like that, who would want to stay.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Camera One said:

With writing like that, who would want to stay.

Exactly. I don't blame JMo one bit for running the hell away from A&E the minute she could. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/25/2017 at 0:22 AM, Camera One said:

Season 6 as a whole did a real number on the character... lying about the death visions, helpless with the shaky hands, boring conversations with Aladdin, barely a match against Hyde or The Evil Queen, the fallout of the Hook Killed David's Father plot, etc.  With writing like that, who would want to stay.

Emma of S1 would have been like, "Death visions? The hell with that, I'm going to do what I want. No oracle decides my fate."

If Emma's character development stayed, she would have been like, "Death visions? I'm going to do whatever it takes to save my family. That's what heroes do."

Look, nobody wants to die. But brooding over something you know so little about for an entire season just makes her look sad for a main heroine. Buffy accepted her fate to save her friends. She was upset about her imminent death for one episode. The weight of the situation wasn't diminished, but it also didn't prevent her from being a badass.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4
On 6/25/2017 at 0:22 AM, Camera One said:

Season 6 as a whole did a real number on the character... lying about the death visions, helpless with the shaky hands, boring conversations with Aladdin, barely a match against Hyde or The Evil Queen, the fallout of the Hook Killed David's Father plot, etc.

Hmmm ... maybe season 6 wasn't the real Emma. Emma is still trapped in the Underworld. What came back was an imposter. We'll learn this in the opening episode of season 7, in which imposter Emma is unmasked, and then the mission for season 7 will be to find the real Emma.

But more seriously, that does seem to be a drastic turning point. Yeah, before that there had been plenty of times when the character we met in season one was twisted to meet the needs of the plot (or Regina), but it's like a different person came back from the Underworld, starting with her being willing to leave Hook behind to jaunt off after Henry even though he'd just returned from the dead. That's not just a case of "Emma wouldn't do that," it's a case of "what human being would let a person she loved who she thought was lost for good but who miraculously returned from the dead out of her sight so soon after being reunited with him?" Then there was the idiotic suggestion that Regina split off her Evil Queen side, which doesn't seem like something real Emma would consider a good idea, all the Savior angst and fatalism, the helplessness, the weakness, giving up on Hook so quickly and easily (would the woman who tracked him down in the Underworld after watching him die really just decide he'd never loved her when he was gone for five minutes?), and her big plan to just hand over her heart to the Black Fairy, like that would actually solve anything or save her friends and family. Season 6 Emma was a Pod Person who bore no resemblance to the character we met in season one, and you can't say it's growth because it has nothing to do with her being more open. Her wardrobe even fits into that. Season 6 Emma didn't even dress like Emma.

• Love 4

Don't forget the dreadful WishVerse, and Emma literally prostrating herself before Regina, and then basically thanking her for the abandonment and neglect she actually suffered in her past because apparently that's what made her strong. 

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Don't forget the dreadful WishVerse

I had successfully repressed those episodes, so thanks for bringing them back up again. :-)

Really, there should be a law against writers making hero characters thank (former) villains for making them strong because they had to survive all the hell the villains put them through, unless it's in a snarky way during the climactic confrontation -- "(Wham) I guess I have you to thank for making me so strong. (Bam, pow). If it hadn't been for you, I wouldn't have been forced to become strong enough to defeat you. So, thanks! (Killing blow)"

• Love 5

From Jennifer Morrison's Instagram (and also Twitter):

jenmorrisonlive  I'm honor of Emma's last appearance on #onceuponatime I will post some favorite memories all week of #emmaswan over the years 

---

Sounds so final.  :(

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, Camera One said:

From Jennifer Morrison's Instagram (and also Twitter):

jenmorrisonlive  I'm honor of Emma's last appearance on #onceuponatime I will post some favorite memories all week of #emmaswan over the years 

---

Sounds so final.  :(

This isn't new information. It's been said repeatedly since May that she would be back for only one episode and that's it.

1 minute ago, Camera One said:

I had hope that there would be more.  I live by the values of this show.

The show is a business. Morrison's contract was for one episode, the people involved were very emphatic that is really was one and only one episode, and it's been abundantly clear for a long time that there is zero interest on both sides to work together again. Why would anyone think she would be doing more than that?

What are you arguing for? Not everything is about being exact and reacting like a robot to things. We knew JMo wasn't likely coming back. It's just sad seeing a stark reminder of that coupled with that clip she posted from S3A. It makes some of us nostalgic. After all, the only reason most of us have stuck with this Show for so long is because we fell in love with some of the characters. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 13