Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I thought it was confirmed that Aquaman/Mamoa was gone but Mamoa would be tapped to play another character (most likely Lobo).  Or was that conjecture?

It’s heavily rumored but not confirmed. Momoa has hinted something new is in the works with DC and most are guessing it will be Lobo but it’s unlikely that anything will be confirmed before Aquaman 2 is released. 

27 minutes ago, Dani said:

It’s heavily rumored but not confirmed. Momoa has hinted something new is in the works with DC and most are guessing it will be Lobo but it’s unlikely that anything will be confirmed before Aquaman 2 is released. 

Makes sense, forgot that was still coming out

On 5/2/2023 at 9:07 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

Tbh, now might be the exact right moment for the DCEU to try and make a comeback. Because Marvel has been really shit lately and seems to be getting shittier with every movie and show (GOTG3 probably excluded, we'll see).

You may be right! I've never been much of a Marvel fan, so I can't judge decline in quality.  Still, I feel like the enthusiasm for the general comic genre has been waning for awhile. Spiderman is a recent exception, but he is also well-known.  And it doesn't seem like DC is investing in their marquee superheroes.  Not sure your average moviegoer is gonna care much about some of the characters they're bringing to the screen.  It will be interesting to see how The Flash and Aquaman movies do. 

As an aside, I always thought it was extremely dumb to keep the actors for TV and film heroes separate.  I haven't heard any Grant Gustin criminal allegations or questionable behavior in the mainstream ... and it would have been some interesting continuity to have him as the TV and film Flash. So that's the one small credit I will give to the upcoming Gunnverse, heh.  I found Ezra Miller kind of terrible as The Flash way back in 2017 or whenever The Justice League was released.     

Personally, I think WB will have better (live action film) success elsewhere (lots of buzz around Dune, for example). 

(edited)

Zack Snyder Gets Honest About Batman v Superman's Negative Reception
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal   May 9, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/zack-snyder-batman-v-superman-negative-reception 

During a Q&A at Zack Snyder's Full Circle charity event, Snyder himself reflected on Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice's bad reviews. 
Q: "Well this film, in particular, you created so many layers for the storytelling in the characters, and I think you have to want to make an effort to dig a little deeper…"

Snyder: "Yes, but I think that probably is what caused the movie to be so polarizing. I think, and maybe I’m wrong. but I feel like a lot of people went into the movies for going like, ‘Oh, it’s the superhero romp, right? Let’s have fun with it.’"
"And we gave them this sort of hardcore deconstructivist, heavily layered, experiential modern mythological superhero movie that needs…that you really need to pay attention to. That was not cool [for them]. That’s not something anyone wanted to do. They were like, ‘What? No! That’s exhausting. How about, why do they fight at night?’ I hate that.”

Edited by tv echo
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Zack Snyder Gets Honest About Batman v Superman's Negative Reception
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal   May 9, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/zack-snyder-batman-v-superman-negative-reception 

Seven years later and still blaming the audience without an ounce of self-reflection. 
"And we gave them this sort of hardcore deconstructivist, heavily layered, experiential modern mythological superhero movie that needs…that you really need to pay attention to.“

No, the problem is that we were all paying attention to the movie. 
image.gif.025006c08a9472c1b670d192ad73be44.gif

21 minutes ago, Dani said:

"And we gave them this sort of hardcore deconstructivist, heavily layered, experiential modern mythological superhero movie that needs…that you really need to pay attention to.“

Hahahahahahaha! I'm sorry but what? 🤣

• Like 6
(edited)

JG: "James Gunn is directing Superman: Legacy... We start shooting in January."

James & Sean Gunn Answer the Web's Most Searched Questions | WIRED
WIRED   May 11, 2023

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Superman: Legacy’ In-Person Screen Tests On The Horizon As Warner Bros And James Gunn Get Closer To Finding Clark Kent And Lois Lane
By Justin Kroll, Anthony D'Alessandro   June 8, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/06/superman-legacy-screen-tests-clark-kent-lois-lane-1235409997/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Following months of going through dozens of audition tapes, Warner Bros and DC Films look to be getting closer to finding the stars of their Superman: Legacy movie as a second round of testing looks to be imminent.

Insiders close to the process say the first in-person tests with DC co-heads Peter Safran and James Gunn (who is writing and directing the pic) will take place around Father’s Day weekend or the Monday or Tuesday after with Nicholas Hoult, David Corenswet and Tom Brittney expected to test for Clark Kent aka Superman, and Emma Mackey, Rachel Brosnahan and Phoebe Dynevor testing for Lois Lane. Sources added that some of the test deals are still being negotiated and haven’t all closed, but that as of now these are the names expected to participate in the auditions.

DC Studios had no comment on the second rounds of tests.

Edited by tv echo
3 hours ago, Dani said:

‘The Flash’ Duo Andy and Barbara Muschietti Ink First-Look Deals with Warner Bros. Film, TV (Exclusive)

Looks like they’re going all in with Muschietti. Interesting decision to announce this now given The Flash box office projections. I’m guess they hope a gesture of faith would boost sales but it seems more likely to create more apprehension. 

Yes. I'm not much of a DC fan at the best of times. No particular reason, just never grabbed me like Marvel. The movies are the same, and this decision does nothing to draw me in further.

Why do I follow this thread? Because I'm still interested in the idea of DC movies. They don't grab me now, but one might eventually do so. :)

• Like 1
(edited)

James Gunn Announces 4 Marvel Crew Members for His Superman Reboot Movie
By Nathan Johnson  June 15, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/james-gunn-superman-reboot-movie-marvel-crew-members 

In an interview on the Inside of You with Michael Rosenbaum podcast, co-CEO of DC Studios James Gunn officially revealed that he will be bringing in crew members for Superman: Legacy that he worked with on MCU projects.

Gunn, who is also the writer/director of Superman, confirmed that he already penciled in some names in important roles such as production designer, costume designer, cinematographer, and VFX supervisor.

JAMES GUNN: Taking Over DC, Legacy of GOTG & The Future of Lex Luthor
Inside of You with Michael Rosenbaum    Jun 13, 2023

Edited by tv echo

I just find it odd that they're talking about the next iteration of Batman when Reeves/Pattinson's Batman (which was pretty successful) hasn't even had its sequel yet. Are they going to have two cinematic Batmen out at the same time? Or what? because I don't see how that's going to work.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Trini said:

I just find it odd that they're talking about the next iteration of Batman when Reeves/Pattinson's Batman (which was pretty successful) hasn't even had its sequel yet. Are they going to have two cinematic Batmen out at the same time? Or what? because I don't see how that's going to work.

They are going to have two cinematic Batmen. The Batman’s sequel is supposed to start filming next year. The Bold and the Brave will be part of the new DCU and The Batman 2 is a Elseworlds project. Which will of course completely confuse general audiences who have no clue what any of those terms mean.

So The Flash underperformed; I'm actually not too worried about Aquaman 2 (although they really need to start the marketing push for that soon); but I hope Blue Beetle does well. I'd like some success for Latino superheroes (at DC).

• Like 2

Less than two months from release and I've seen zero ads recently for Blue Beetle and a movie trailer once. Sure seems like the execs blew their marketing budget for the year on tons of ads for The Flash and getting Stephen King, Tom Cruise, and the media to rave about the greatest superhero movie ever starring a once-in-a-generation talent.

It would be amazing to see Blue Beetle beat it in the box office, but a little-known character with a modest cast (do people even know that George Lopez and Susan Sarandon are in this movie?) and no promotion coming from a studio that audiences are rightly getting exhausted with... it's got a lot stacked against it.

Meanwhile rather than promote this year's remaining releases, James Gunn would rather tweet about how great auditions are going for the next Superman that nobody wanted recast. If it weren't so fiscally irresponsible I'd almost think the execs would like to see Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 perform worse than The Flash just so that they don't feel like fools for having put all their eggs in Ezra Miller's basket and they can blame audience fatigue rather than their own failures.

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
1 hour ago, dmeets said:

It would be amazing to see Blue Beetle beat it in the box office, but a little-known character with a modest cast (do people even know that George Lopez and Susan Sarandon are in this movie?) and no promotion coming from a studio that audiences are rightly getting exhausted with... it's got a lot stacked against it.

I'm not expecting it to be a blockbuster for exactly those reasons; but I'm still hoping it does well enough for a sequel. But yeah, unfortunately, all the marketing cash seems to have gone to The Flash.

(edited)

Comic-Con Crisis: Marvel, Netflix, Sony, HBO and Universal to Skip SDCC as Fest Faces Another Existential Threat
By Adam B. Vary    June 23, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/comic-con-schedule-marvel-netflix-hbo-sony-universal-skipping-1235653256/ 

Other studios are still maintaining a wait-and-see posture: Warner Bros., which needs a robust PR boost for upcoming DC features “Blue Beetle” and “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom,” has yet to rule out skipping Comic-Con, and the company’s streaming service, Max, is planning on bringing some animation titles to the convention. 
Any studio holdouts will have to make a decision very soon — schedules will start rolling out on July 5 — but they may be making it in the dark, if SAG-AFTRA and the AMPTP extend contract negotiations beyond the June 30 deadline. It’s a bind no superhero will be able to save.

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Yay! More Superman: Legacy non-news as they try and distract from the rubble that is DC movies because they learned nothing about overhyping a movie. 

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oh wow, there's an actors strike looming on top of the writers strike? Yikes

Yeah. If it happens everything is going to grind to a complete halt. Their contract expires on Friday. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Dani said:

Yeah. If it happens everything is going to grind to a complete halt. Their contract expires on Friday. 

Well, not everything. Yet. For WB specifically; Barbie should be fine (the actors have already done some promotion (and are doing some literally now) and Mattel has a slew of brand/music collaborations), but for everything after that, anything involving the actors is screwed -- depending on how long the strike lasts. In a couple of articles I've read about the possible impact, worst case scenario is that release dates would have to be moved.

If they resolve things relatively quickly, Aquaman 2 might be okay, but Blue Beetle might be screwed anyway. ::sigh::

Edited by Trini
clarity

Inside the ‘Superman: Legacy’ Screen Tests as Decision 2023 Drags Into Second Week

I wish they'd stop mentioning Hoult in these things; he's great, but he's not getting that role. Just like when he didn't get Batman; he just doesn't have the right look. It's a little interesting that they mention he might be up for Lex Luthor, but has he played a villain before?

---

Gal Gadot will receive a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame next year...

Michelle Yeoh, Sammy Hagar, Chadwick Boseman named 2024 Hollywood Walk of Fame honorees
by: Christine Samra  Jun 26, 2023 
https://ktla.com/entertainment/sheryl-lee-ralph-dr-dre-sammy-hagar-chadwick-boseman-named-2024-hollywood-walk-of-fame-honorees/ 

The Hollywood Walk of Fame revealed the 2024 class of honorees on Monday morning.
The late actor Chadwick Boseman will be posthumously honored on the star-studded street in the Motion Pictures category. Others in the category include Michelle Yeoh, Chris Pine, Kevin Feige, Chris Meledandri, Gal Gadot, Christina Ricci and Maggie Gyllenhaal.

(edited)
14 hours ago, Trini said:

I wish they'd stop mentioning Hoult in these things; he's great, but he's not getting that role. Just like when he didn't get Batman; he just doesn't have the right look. It's a little interesting that they mention he might be up for Lex Luthor, but has he played a villain before?

---

I think some of his major roles have enough edge to them that villainy should be within his range. Certainly Mad Max: Fury Road and Renfield demonstrate that he can do batshit crazy well if they want to go the mad scientist route with Luthor rather than corrupt tycoon.

But agreed, just based on looks/type Hoult is no one's idea of Superman, whereas Corenswet might convince people with vision defects that Cavill remained in the role using de-aging VFX.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Like 1

Of the six they were considering in this would have been my pick. 

3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

But agreed, just based on looks/type Hoult is no one's idea of Superman, whereas Corenswet might convince people with vision defects that Cavill remained in the role using de-aging VFX.

😂I thought the same thing. 

I've heard of Brosnahan but I'm not familiar with either actor; so I'm pretty neutral on this casting news.

Good luck to them putting their careers in the hands of DC/WB.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Trini said:

I've heard of Brosnahan but I'm not familiar with either actor; so I'm pretty neutral on this casting news.

This is a clip of Corenswet (from the Ryan Murphy alternate history series Hollywood from a couple of years ago) that people have been circulating since the casting rumours started:

• Useful 1
(edited)

The DC Story Docuseries to Explore ‘The Grand Proscenium of Superheroes’ — Watch Trailer & Get Max Release Date
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH  JUNE 27, 2023
https://tvline.com/news/dc-heroes-docuseries-release-date-trailer-grant-gustin-melissa-benoist-1235006010/ 

Max has announced a release date and shared a superhero-filled trailer for Superpowered: The DC Story, a documentary series co-directed by Academy Award- and Emmy-nominated filmmaker Leslie Iwerks and Peabody Award winner Mark Catalena.

Narrated by Rosario Dawson (who has a variety of voice and live-action DC roles under her belt) and set to drop Thursday, July 20, the three-part series promises an “unprecedented look at the enduring and influential legacy of DC, allowing fans to rediscover the universe of characters, as well as the iconic comic book company’s origins, its evolution and its nearly nine-decade cultural impact across every artistic medium.”

The docuseries features more than 60 new and archival interviews with actors and execs alike, including new DC Studios co-CEO James Gunn, Supergirl‘s Melissa Benoist, Arrowverse sire Greg Berlanti, Harley Quinn‘s Kaley Cuoco, erstwhile Wonder Woman Lynda Carter. and Watchmen‘s Regina King and Damon Lindelof.

You’ll also hear from Bruce Timm, Tim Burton, Mike Carlin, Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot, Patty Jenkins, Dwayne Johnson, Michael Keaton, Zoë Kravitz, Jim Lee, Zachary Levi, Tom Mankiewicz, Jason Momoa, Christopher Nolan, Robert Pattinson, John Ridley, Margot Robbie, Michael E. Uslan, Mark Waid and the late Christopher Reeve.
Need you ask, Superpowered: The DC Story is produced by Warner Bros. Unscripted Television in association with Warner Horizon, DC, Berlanti Productions and Iwerks & Co. Iwerks served as showrunner and exec-produced with Berlanti, Lee, Sarah Schechter, David Madden and Doug Prinzivalli.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Pic of David Corensweet as Jack Castello in 2020 Netflix miniseries Hollywood (when he was around 27)...
david-corenswet-hollywood-netflix.jpg

(source)

Pic of Henry Cavill as Theseus in 2011 film Immortals (when he was around 28)...
FPrH1AzX0Aguc2v?format=jpg

(source)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Another major studio drops out of San Diego Comic-Con as strike by actors still possible
BY PHILLIP MOLNAR   JULY 3, 2023
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/story/2023-07-03/another-major-studio-drops-out-of-comic-con-as-a-possible-actor-strike-still-possible 

Warner Bros.-owned DC — rival to Marvel Studios, which is not coming this year — will also bow out. The studio that produces Batman and Superman films was initially thought by some to take advantage of Marvel’s absence.

James Gunn, co-CEO of DC Studios, responded to a fan’s question on Instagram Saturday that he would not be at Comic-Con this year but probably in 2024. Additionally, DC has released its initial schedule for the convention, which leaves off a big Hall H appearance.
None of the studios skipping Comic-Con have released statements about why they aren’t coming but industry experts say it is a result of the writers’ strike and possible actors’ strike. The thinking is it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to spend thousands of dollars (or more) on a major Comic-Con appearance if the actors of the films can’t come out on stage.
The Screen Actors Guild agreed to an extension of their contract last week, which was due to expire, until July 12. If the actors go on strike, they can’t appear for promotional events. Handel said it’s increasingly clear actors will not be at Comic-Con because it typically takes the union three to four weeks to ratify a new contract. So, even if a deal is reached on July 12, it won’t be done in time for the convention.

However, he said it’s possible the union could approve a waiver to allow actors to do promotions during the voting process. Handel said industry sources say a strike is likely to happen. Yet one possibility for a deal is increasing pressure on the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers to approve something with the actors because movies at the box office have taken a hit in recent weeks.

Edited by tv echo

[From The Flash topic:]

4 hours ago, Fool to cry said:
On 7/2/2023 at 3:25 PM, millennium said:

I'm surprised they're doing this film at all.  When you have only two movies coming out in the near future, why squander one of them on a character lacking instant recognition?

I don't know but I saw the trailer before Indiana Jones yesterday and George Lopez's  last line got a laugh. The kid is from Cobra Kai show and I hope this one turns out to be a sleeper hit the way the first Karate Kid was.

I want Blue Beetle to be a low-key hit too; but that's looking less and less likely seeing as how WB/DC is not even marketing it a month and a half before it's in theaters. It's just disappointing, because I feel that even if Blue Beetle isn't a widely known character, they could make him a name with some competent promotion. And besides, they might be able to make some money back since this was produced on a HBO Max budget.

On 6/28/2023 at 10:04 AM, tv echo said:

Not one of them looks like someone I'd trust or would want to know.   So imperious.   They look like they would turn on mankind if it suited them.   Batman especially looks like he has a stick up his ass.

3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I don't get why they aren't marketing Blue Beetle. I thought it was confirmed that the character was sticking around in Gunn's new universe.

It was sort of confirmed but in a completely confusing and noncommittal manner. They said the movie wasn’t part of the new DCU but that the character was. They’ve tried to leave the door open for every movie. Really they were just trying to salvage what they could and knew that admitting any characters were out would hurt the box office. That strategy is now out the window so they are essentially abandoning Blue Beetle. 

Based on reports they threw most of DC Film’s marketing budget at Flash. Aquaman 2’s director is already trying to sell it as a stand alone movie.

5 hours ago, Trini said:

I want Blue Beetle to be a low-key hit too; but that's looking less and less likely seeing as how WB/DC is not even marketing it a month and a half before it's in theaters. It's just disappointing, because I feel that even if Blue Beetle isn't a widely known character, they could make him a name with some competent promotion. And besides, they might be able to make some money back since this was produced on a HBO Max budget.

At this point I’m not sure they are capable of competently promoting any DC films. In some ways I think very little marketing could be the best thing for the movie, if it is good. Mainly because DC still has enough fans that some people will show up opening weekend and with good word of mouth it could be a sleeper hit. It has a low budget, zero expectations and very little competition. 

(edited)

The SDCC programming schedule has been posted (all times are PDT) - as expected, no big movie panels...

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OWre/warner-bros-television-screenings 

Wednesday, July 19 • 6:00pm - 9:30pm

Warner Bros. Television Screenings
Comic-Con and Warner Bros. Television proudly continue our annual Preview Night tradition featuring the world premiere of the highly anticipated series Adventure Time: Fionna and Cake, alongside Teen Titans Go!, and screenings of Mrs. Davis and Superpowered: The DC Story.

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OWsW/building-the-dc-universe-on-webtoon 

Thursday, July 20 • 10:30am - 11:30am

Building the DC Universe on WEBTOON
Marie Javins (editor-in-chief for DC), David Lee (VP of content for WEBTOON), CRC Payne (Batman: Wayne Family Adventures), Manou Azumi (Vixen: NYC), Patrick Young (Red Hood: Outlaws), and moderator Rosie Knight (Den of Geek) discuss bringing classic DC Super Heroes to WEBTOON.

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OWtd/ninth-annual-musical-anatomy-of-a-superhero-film-and-tv-composer-panel 

Thursday, July 20 • 11:15am - 12:15pm

Ninth Annual Musical Anatomy of a Superhero: Film and TV Composer Panel
Moderated by Michael Giacchino (The Batman, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Thor: Love & Thunder), leading Hollywood composers Christophe Beck (Agatha: Coven of Chaos, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania), Laura Karpman (The Marvels, Ms. Marvel, What If . . . ?), Benjamin Wallfisch (The Flash, Shazam!), Christopher Lennertz (The Boys, Agent Carter), and David Russo (Gotham Knights, Pennyworth, Gotham) discuss the challenges of creating the musical landscape of the superhero genre. The composers explain the process through unreleased music and video clips from upcoming and recently released projects. Introductions by Ray Costa (producer, Costa Communications).

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OWvB/gotham-city 

Thursday, July 20 • 12:45pm - 1:45pm

Gotham City
Whether it’s in the past, present, or future, Gotham City has been the backdrop for some of the greatest stories in DC history featuring Batman, his allies, and his foes. Join DC storytellers Tom King, Tini Howard, Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing, Ram V, Belén Ortega, and others to find out what’s to come for The Dark Knight and the other DC Super Heroes and Super-Villains who make Gotham City the place to be in the DCU.

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OX7K/dawn-of-dc 

Friday, July 21 • 12:30pm - 1:30pm

Dawn of DC
With epic new storylines, over 20 exciting new titles, superstar creative teams, and villains that have pushed the heroes beyond their limits in bold adventures, the Dawn of DC has been in full swing all year. Hear directly from some of the superstar writers and artists behind your favorite stories, including Ram V (Detective Comics), Joshua Williamson (Batman & Robin), Nicola Scott (Titans), Tom King (Wonder Woman), Joanne Starer (Fire and Ice), Josh Trujilo (Blue Beetle), and Tom Taylor (Titans).

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OXGT/justice-league-warworld 

Friday, July 21 • 9:00pm - 11:00pm

Justice League: Warworld
Be among the first fans to see Warner Bros. Animation’s all-new, feature-length film Justice League: Warworld at this world premiere screening. In this R-rated film, DC’s Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman find themselves in mysterious lands and precarious circumstances with no memory of how they arrived there and only vague recollections of their true selves. In addition to the screening, filmmakers and key cast members will hold a panel discussion and audience Q&A. Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, Justice League: Warworld will be available to own on Digital, 4K Ultra HD, and Blu-ray on July 25.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

James Gunn Confirms Superman: Legacy Cast Will Appear In Other DC Projects
BY RYAN LESTON   JUL 12, 2023
https://www.ign.com/articles/james-gunn-confirms-superman-legacy-cast-will-appear-in-other-dc-projects 

Following the news that Nathan Fillion will star as a Green Lantern in the upcoming Superman flick, Gunn has confirmed that it’s not the only place you’ll see his version of Guy Gardner.

“The Green Lanterns show is not separate,” he confirmed in a post on Threads. “Nate will play Guy in all parts of the DCU.” It’s therefore likely we’ll see Nathan Fillion play Guy Gardner in Lanterns – the upcoming Green Lantern TV show that was announced as part of the DCU’s upcoming slate.
Gunn confirmed that Fillion will sport Gardner’s classic comic book look though: “Giving my old pal Nate a bowl cut might have been my primary reason for casting him,” he said.

Gunn also reveal the other actors recently cast in Superman: Legacy will appear in other DC projects, building out the DCU, and that the upcoming Superman film will include fan favourite Jimmy Olsen.

“Superman: Legacy opens two years from today,” he posted on Threads. “It may seem far away to many of you, but it’s close to me! We have a lot to do between now and then. But I haven’t been more excited about a project in forever, and this cast, slowly coming together, holy cow.”

Alongside Fillion, it was revealed that Isabela Merced has joined Superman: Legacy as Hawkgirl, with Edi Gathegi cast as Mister Terrific. “They fit the story I’m telling,” said Gunn. “Story always comes first.” Superman will be played by David Corenswet with Rachel Brosnahan as Lois Lane.
“Blue Beetle and a handful of other characters will continue on in the DCU, even though the first DC Studios movie is Superman: Legacy,” he said on Threads.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Superman: Legacy’ Nabs ‘Barry’ Star Anthony Carrigan as DC Hero Metamorpho (Exclusive)
BY BORYS KIT    JULY 12, 2023 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/superman-legacy-casts-anthony-carrigan-metamorpho-1235533648/ 

Anthony Carrigan, fresh off an Emmy nomination for his standout work in HBO’s Barry, has been cast as classic DC character Metamorpho, aka archeologist-turned-hero Rex Mason. He joins the feature that will formally launch DC’s new universe under filmmaker Gunn and his DC Studios co-boss Peter Safran.
Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter following his Emmy nomination, Carrigan, who has alopecia, explained that he had Metamorpho on his radar before getting the role. “I like comic books, but I’m not a diehard, but I did when all my hair fell out, go through the kind of pantheon of all of these bald superheroes and supervillains and made note of all of them,” Carrigan said. “I remember seeing Metamorpho and I think he had like a giant like hammer for a hand and I was like, that guy’s badass. Noted. We’ll store that one away.” 

Carrigan said that playing the character is meaningful as a member of the alopecia community. “This character from what I’ve learned of the source material, he didn’t like the way he looked, and I can really relate to that,” The actor added. “You know, when he got his powers he thought it was a curse. That’s something that I really felt as well. In my case, I turned it around and saw it as a blessing. So I’m excited to bring that to the table with this character.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The Flash Expected To Make Less Than This Other Historic DC Flop
BY NICHOLAS BEACH   JULY 17, 2023
https://gamerant.com/the-flash-movie-box-office-bomb-green-lantern/ 

The Flash has been in theaters for a month and has earned over $106 million domestically. This is currently $10 million less than Green Lantern's domestic box office, and with fewer than 800 theaters showing The Flash, it is expected to fall short. Both films also had a budget of roughly $200 million and became big financial losers for Warner Bros. Green Lantern has been mocked by fans and even its star Ryan Reynolds in the Deadpool franchise.
The Flash isn’t the only DCEU movie that has disappointed at the box office recently. Shazam: Fury of the Gods finished far worse than The Flash, with only $57 million at the domestic box office. Dwayne Johnson's Black Adam, which has been highly ridiculed and still lost millions for the studio, surprisingly made more domestically than The Flash and Shazam: Fury of the Gods combined with $168 million domestically. This has even made some fans look back at Black Adam as a success comparatively than when it was initially released.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

I laugh at whichever execs insisted that Miller was the perfect person for this role, keeping them on even after their reputation had been so badly tarnished. I would really like those boardroom halfwits to suffer the consequences of their actions.

However, I feel sorry for the other cast and crew, seeing their hard work fail so hard because of the star's reputation. That must really sting.

• Like 6