Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Please Baby, Baby Please

Toi and Rouvaun travel to Washington, D.C., for the college graduation of Toi's son. Elsewhere, Sam and Laura research fertility options; Erik and Nadine plan for a baby; and Laura has a huge surprise for Kirk.

1) I KNOW in real life some people doe NOT get pregnant so quickly. But damn these couples seem fertile. TWO out of the four couples got pregnant the first season. And now two out of four this year, too? (Although the MD could be a false pregnancy we don't know yet. She tested positive, but the latest episode had a doctor visit clifhanger).

The woman in the Hayward, CA couple is high maintenance. I guess I've been single too long. Because I just have no patience for high maintenance. She's mad at him, for being mad at her...Really? SHE's the reason they missed their flight. He should have left her ass at the house and caught the plane on his own.

NONE of the couples are SUPER engaging...they're all just OK. I watch the show at the same time I watch another show. But I watch so I guess that's all that matters.

• Love 1

Toi and Rouvan: yea, I'd have been pissed too if I missed a flight because you were still getting ready. Their whole weekend seemed rushed (probably editing). The younger son calling saying they needed to be at graduation now! While no one is dressed, grandparents needed to be picked up, etc.... Congrats on having a college graduate in the family though! It does take a village! I liked that Rouvan wasn't having eldest sons antics at the dinner table. He waltzed in there, trashed talked his momma and put all the attention on himself. At least the youngest son has an education to fall back on when the music career inevitably fails.

Erik and Nadine: babysitting someone else's child is not an accurate gauge of parenting but I think she got that. Erik acting like a doofus and the kid rolling ip her eyes, perfect?

Laura and Kirk: looks like she may have miscarried however there was a talking head they gave where the camera panned out and she's obviously sporting a baby bump. i don't envy her though as her husband has a lot of growing up to do before they start procreating.

The gay couple (drawing a blank on their names) need not have a child. It sucks that there are so many hoops to jump through just to get pregnant but I'm not certain their relationship is going to last.

• Love 2
(edited)

Did anyone else fall over laughing when Nadine said something to the effect that she'd not going to let a baby call the shots? LOL! Oh, what a party there will be the first time those two are left alone with their newborn, who absolutely, positively WILL be calling the shots, for a very long time. A good time may not be had by all, but I'd certainly pay good money to see that show.

Edited by pbutler111
  • Love 7

Did I see a tear drop tattoo on Andreus' face? If so, I don't think the only issues between mommy and son have to do with her not meeting his wife right before they got married or him playing guitar on the street. Me thinks someone was in a gang, etc.

• Love 2

My pet peeve is making others late, so Toi really annoyed me this episode. Two hours until graduation and just starting to get ready? So ridiculous and seemed an equal ploy to get the attention back on her. They were my favorite couple up until this episode. Congratulations to her for getting a son through college as a single mother, that is incredibly difficult.

The baby heavy episode wore on me, so I fast forwarded a lot. $10k for artificial insemination? You are getting ripped off! IVF cost me $14k and is a whole lot more involved.

The no screen time rule cracked me up. They didn't make it four hours! It's a lot harder to babysit in a house with zero toys.

Hope it's a false alarm for the other couple, that is a horrible moment, and I couldn't imaging being on film.

$10k for artificial insemination? You are getting ripped off! IVF cost me $14k and is a whole lot more involved.

Not to mention that a home insemination will only run $600 for the sperm and a few bucks for the "turkey baster" (syringe, more likely).

First time commenter on this show. I'm finally caught up on all of the episodes, and I feel like I have a fair gauge on the couples. This season of couples are waaaaaay more tolerable than last season's. That might equate to boring, but I'd rather be slightly distracted than wanting to chuck my TV out the window in anger, LOL!

Erik and Nadine: I laugh because all soon to be parents say the same thing, myself included: "I'm going to put them on the right sleeping schedule, I'm going to running things, we got this, it won't be so hard, etc" and of course the obligatory "baby sitting my friend's child" scene. You really don't have any idea what is going to happen until the baby is born, and even then there is only so much planning you can do.  They'll be like any other parents and take it one day at a time, and I honestly think they'll be good at it. Erik because he's so desperate for a family, and Nadine because she's so neurotic she'll be working for perfection all of the time. Can I say how much I couldn't stand Nadine's brother though? What an asshole.

Laura and Kirk: I could have done without Kirk's constant mention of his "Super Sperm" every scene, ugh. He's very immature, sort of like a Juicehead grown up type deal. He also strikes me as a man on board with having a baby because it's what his wife wants, not necessarily what he wants. But I think Laura is aware of that and is fine with it, and will be fine with being the primary caretaker of the baby. I am sad for them, if they indeed miscarried. I don't wish that on anyone :-(.

Sam and Laura: Something rubs me the wrong way about these two. I don't know what it is, they just don't strike me as a couple that is in it for the long run. Maybe because they are the youngest couple…I don't know. I hope they don't spend money on insemination. For that much money it should be reserved for people that are TOTALLY SURE and are on the same page about having kids. Didn't any of these couples discuss kids before they got married?

Toi and Ravaughn: *whispers* perpetual late person here. I know it's bad, and I have no excuses, but I will say for something as important as a flight or a graduation, I plan a large chunk of time for any issues. I'm generally late for small stuff like meeting for coffee or something, and usually it's no more than 15 minutes. I'm working on it, promise :-). That said, I don't blame Ravaughn for being annoyed, but I don't think it's a deal breaker. I think they are in it for the long run, and considering the relationship he has with her son, I don't think he's going anywhere. I like this couple because they seemed to have learned from their previous marriages and are trying to do better this time around. Seeing Toi's oldest son and the way he acted (what a tool, sheesh), it's obvious there's more to the story as to why their relationship is strained. I too noticed the teardrop tattoo, which I've only seen on people who have done time. I sense some sort of drug issues there too, and he was just such a jerk during that dinner. Kudos to Ravaughn for not feeding into it, or punching him out. At least she did okay with son # 2, graduating from Howard is quite an accomplishment. He may want to be in the music business, but at least he sees there is more to it than just playing on the street while people throw coins in a hat, and he has a college degree to fall back on. 

Lateness is my pet peeve too. I would have been very upset at Toi too, but kudos to her for raising two sons by herself. Not getting along with the older son is unfortunate but it does happen in some families. Hope they work out their differences one day since she does have a disease and you never know what and when something bad could happen with that.

There was too much baby drama for me with the other couples. I don't think Sam and Laura are ready for a kid anytime soon. They both seem immature and not emotionally stable in their relationship yet.

Nadine has a big surprise coming. That baby will rule your life for a loooong time.

I hope Laura didn't miscarry. I know Kirk doesn't seem to want anymore kids but I can understand her desire for her own child so I hope everything is OK.

(edited)

I thought that was a weird example Toi gave about she and her oldest son not getting along, that he didn't introduce his future wife to her until right before he decided to marry the girl and didn't invite her to the wedding. We're obviously not getting a big part of the story. For a son to not invite his mother to his wedding- there's some deeper issues there. Like other PPs, I'm guessing substance issues. Rouvan did not look amused at that dinner lol. The younger son seems like a good guy.

ETA: fixed word

Edited by Harperlee1

Nadine is exhausting.  Knowing what a diva she is about sleep when that scene came on with her friend talking about how horrible you sleep with a baby, my sleep deprived ass was laughing hysterically.  I haven't had a full night's sleep in over 14 weeks. Oh Nadine, you are going to lose your ever loving mind.  More so than you already have.   Erick irritates me as well.  I know he's just a big dork but he tries too hard.  It's exhausting in it's own way. 

I'd be LIVID at Toi for making them miss their flight.  I cannot stand chronically late people.  If you're so late you're missing flights, you have a problem.  You're going to spend the day in airports and on a plane.  You do not have to have your full hair and make-up done.  GAH.  I'm guessing part of the strain between her and her eldest son is drug related.  He screamed addict to me. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who thinks there's something....off...about Sam and Laura.  I mean, they've been together for eight years so they're clearly compatible, I just don't see them together for years and years.  Sam seems like the type to get bored and wander off to greener pastures. Her kissing one ex at her wedding and sending chocolates to another for her birthday?  Come on, now.  Those are not the behaviors of someone who will stay faithful for life. 

• Love 2

Nadine is exhausting.  Knowing what a diva she is about sleep when that scene came on with her friend talking about how horrible you sleep with a baby, my sleep deprived ass was laughing hysterically.  I haven't had a full night's sleep in over 14 weeks. Oh Nadine, you are going to lose your ever loving mind.  More so than you already have.   Erick irritates me as well.  I know he's just a big dork but he tries too hard.  It's exhausting in it's own way. 

I'd be LIVID at Toi for making them miss their flight.  I cannot stand chronically late people.  If you're so late you're missing flights, you have a problem.  You're going to spend the day in airports and on a plane.  You do not have to have your full hair and make-up done.  GAH.  I'm guessing part of the strain between her and her eldest son is drug related.  He screamed addict to me. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who thinks there's something....off...about Sam and Laura.  I mean, they've been together for eight years so they're clearly compatible, I just don't see them together for years and years.  Sam seems like the type to get bored and wander off to greener pastures. Her kissing one ex at her wedding and sending chocolates to another for her birthday?  Come on, now.  Those are not the behaviors of someone who will stay faithful for life. 

Yeah...she couldn't even stay faithful at her own wedding!!!! If there was ever a time or a place NOT to cheat on your SO, I would think it would be your own wedding. Train wreck! They need to wait like 10 more years for kids. Lol.

TBH If my DH kissed another person I would probably find it in my heart to forgive him provided he never did it again/wasn't an ongoing affair/drunken mistake whatever ( I would be PISSED--- BELIEVE ME and he would be in trouble) but I wouldn't end my marriage over it. However if it was at OUR WEDDING in front of all our friends and family..OMG, I would get an annulment. Such disrespect.

And that is why I don't think they will make it. Sam does not take this relationship/monogamy seriously, and I think Laura does.

Edited by yogi2014L

What happened with Laura and Kirk in this episode is exactly why I don't understand why people don't wait until they reach the 3-month mark/end of the first trimester of their pregnancy (or until their doctor advises them that they are out of the risky miscarriage timeframe) before telling others of the pregnancy!  I get the excitement, especially if it's a first child, but you lessen the repeated pain of having to tell multiple people you miscarried and having them feel bad about it, too (not that their feelings or pain are as "important" as the couples').  Nadine and Erik did this, too, obviously, even before confirming it at the doctor's - or so the editing led us to believe - and it drove me nuts as well.  False positives on the home pregnancy tests can happen, so at least confirm it with a doctor first before blabbing the news, jeez.

• Love 1

I agree, I never told anyone (aside from immediate family and my best friend) before 12 weeks. I know a lot of people who reveal the news the second the pee hit the stick. I don't get it either, but I also have high risk pregnancies.

My theory is that she didn't miscarry, that she may have miscalculated and she was earlier than she thought (therefore, the sac but no fetal pole). Or, she miscarried because it was a blighted ovum. For some reason, I think it's the first scenario because they seemed upbeat in all of the talking heads and there was that one where she did have a bump. We'll see what really happened, of course.