Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Joey G is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He never should have said he'd play Alex if Alex wanted to play. He was not privy to the whole Hal/Alex confab and is sort of running blind. Hal has said that Joe makes the game decisions but I gotta believe Hal have told him to use the kids, (besides Sanchez and Severino..who went down to AAA ...where are they?  I know it'll be after Sept starts. ) Really, though, I wish they would stop asking Joe these questions. I know they are Journalists and have to ask but dammit, Joey G looks like he wants the season to end already. It's never ending and while I do like Alex (right there with you, mojo.) I cannot wait til Friday has come and gone.

• Love 1

I have a sneaking suspicion that there's a ton of clubhouse backstory that we don't know re: Joe G and A-Rod. Because, yeah, Joe's behavior is unusually, um, brusque. It feels a lot like 'get this fucking guy outta my clubhouse stat before I pound his pretty face off.' Where's a good old fashioned George Steinbrenner leak when we need one?!

• Love 3

Leave it to A Rod to go out in a blaze of controversy.

I really don't get Joe right now. All he had to do was suck it up for less than a week and it's all over. But he decided to make A Rod's departure contentious and the reporters (even the YES crew) are circling like sharks with chum in the water.

ETA, it's annoying how the YES crew is gushing over Gary Sanchez like he's the next Johnny Bench.

Edited by xaxat

Nothing goes according to script with A Rod. At least the rain held off until the very end of the ceremony.

The Steinbrenners seem a lot more magnanimous than Girardi for this farewell. And their the ones who will have to cut a twenty million dollar check for A Rod next year.

ETA that rain was totally orchestrated by Alex. No delay for the Mets a Citi.

Edited by xaxat

A-Rod just can't do anything halfway.  You want to have a good-bye ceremony for me?  We're doing it in a thunderstorm!

On another note, 2004 sucks and there is no need to keep bringing it up.  Live in the now!

• Love 1

All hail Rally Mantis!

ETA: crap!!  I should have never introduced him!!! *sobs* He gave his life for a victory....

[runs off to weep in private & knit the "Mickey 'Rally' Mantis" Memorial Patch for the KC unis]

Edited by gutette1
Because I suck for tempting fate
  • Love 1

mojoween:  "On another note 2004 was the best ever and there is always a reason to keep bringing it up!"

FTFY.

BTW you Yankee heathens, I actually flipped over and saw ARod's double. I thought for sure that Girardi was gonna send out a PR for him there on 2B, but no.

ETA: God, the Diamondbacks unis tonight are hideous. God-ugly. Pathetic.

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 2

A Rod at 3B for 9th inning! Crosses himself before he gets ready. DB on the mound. I hope he gets a nice not too hard ground ball.

OOOH! Just for that one hitter. It's done. Mojo, I love the guy. 

I think his redemption if you will, is tied up in his 2 daughters. They clearly love him and I guess he wanted them to be proud of him. I think he tries a comeback next season if a team wants him. Crazy to think he was here for 12 years! 

Edited by prican58

King I very affectionately hate you.

LOVE seeing Alex take the field one last time. I love him.  I will miss him.

Gah apparently Joe will too and he DOES have a heart considering he is crying in the presser.  Never have I seen a manager cry so much over retiring players.

Edited by mojoween
30 minutes ago, prican58 said:

I think he tries a comeback next season if a team wants him. Crazy to think he was here for 12 years! 

I wondered about this too. My thinking changed though, after seeing that interview on the field after the game, which was pretty emotional, and his kids running over to him. I thought he might try to comeback, but maybe his "big comeback" from the year sitting / suspended, and the issues he's had this year will be enough. Plus he'll retire as a Yankee which of course is a big thing.  ETA --  I mean, who wants to retire as a Ray or Marlin?

Edited by King of Birds

Hey, K of B, if it was good enough for Wade Boggs, it's good enough for Alex. LOL!

BTW, maybe Tex wants to rethink his retirement. Guy starts hitting now? Again, the guy still does an amazing job at 1B. Made 2 great plays tonight.

Press: please lets just let him go home, relax and think it all through.   

• Love 2
(edited)

Tyler Austin and Aaron Judge hit back-to-back homers for their first major-league hits.  And I'm bummed that I wasn't listening on my At Bat app so I could find out whether John Sterling said "Here comes the Judge!"

ETA:. Meredith Marokovits just said that he did, in fact, use "Here comes the Judge"--and didn't have anything for Austin.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 1

You know what I'd like to do if I had the time and money? See a Mets and Yankees game on the same day. In theory, it's easy . . . take the subway to an afternoon game, go to Grand Central, then take another train to where the night game is being played. I wouldn't get back home until after midnight, but it would make for a good story.

From MSN: Signature ballpark foods.

27 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Tyler Austin and Aaron Judge hit back-to-back homers for their first major-league hits.  And I'm bummed that I wasn't listening on my At Bat app so I could find out whether John Sterling said "Here comes the Judge!"

Meredith from YES says that that was Sterling's call. Austin didn't get a catchphrase though. O'Neil of Cone came up with "Austin. . . Powers!" for him.

@King of Birds is right. This madness must stop.

Memo to the Mets. This is why you don't schedule reunion games on days when they are carried on Fox and not your network. YES has had a parade of 1996 Yankees rotating through the booth today.

Edited by xaxat
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

You know what I'd like to do if I had the time and money? See a Mets and Yankees game on the same day. I

It's unusual for them both to be at home at the same time.  The schedulers make it a point to avoid it if they can.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Hmm, surprised they picked the garden table flatbread from the Garden at AT&T Park. These must be newer items the ballparks have added? Otherwise my favorites are the $18 crazy crab sandwich (when I'm in a splurging mood or on a date), strawberry shortcake, garlic fries (duh), a watermelon beer or three from my fave bartender Zach at the Garden, and a honeydew boba smoothie during day games. 

Edited by MattDuffysCat

I am beyond tired of my players being "accidentally" hit by pitches.  Diaz on the DL, the Cubs break Holliday's thumb two days ago (after he was hit in the face last week), and he potentially never returns in a Cardinals uniform.  And the Cubs hit Piscotty's hand today.  If our pitcher hit someone we'd get a warning.  I've never really understood the old school retaliation of hitting an innocent person of the offending team, but now I understand it a bit. You have to show you're not a punching bag.  I'm sure Maddon will just call us "thugs" again.  Whatever.  Very poor winners.  Hope our rookie picture nails somebody today.  Not Heyward, though. And not in the head, of course. 

2 hours ago, attica said:

It's unusual for them both to be at home at the same time.  The schedulers make it a point to avoid it if they can.

And opposite of that, there's usually one team home at all times.  Except the week we're in NY.  No teams home until Friday when both teams come back.  Good thing we're really going up for theatre (and the Cyclones are home with a 'head giveaway!).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm guessing the only place to get the Smith Island cake at Camden Yards is on the club level.  Or in the restaurant.  Besides, who wants cake at a baseball game.  And in case it matters, there's bacon on a stick in Baltimore, too.  Not just...wherever they listed it.  

I will definitely look for the carne asada fries at Petco when we get there.  And I wish I'd known about the deep fried Almond Joys in Oakland.  They could only have helped get me through that game a few weeks ago. 

4 hours ago, attica said:

Would have been easy to do today. The Yankee game was over by 4pm and the Mets game started at 7pm. Of course, you might've passed out from heat stroke trying to achieve it.

2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

And opposite of that, there's usually one team home at all times.  Except the week we're in NY.  No teams home until Friday when both teams come back.  Good thing we're really going up for theatre (and the Cyclones are home with a 'head giveaway!).

2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

No teams home until Friday when both teams come back.  Good thing we're really going up for theatre (and the Cyclones are home with a 'head giveaway!).

Are you seeing "Hamilton"???!!

50 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Are you seeing "Hamilton"???!!

Yes!!!  I bought tickets waaaaay back in October and the first show I could find was a Wednesday matinee on August 24th.  Soon - finally!!! So we're just going for the entire week.  Because, why not.

I was sure we could get Mets or Yankees tickets early in the week, but nooooooo.  So we'll have to content ourselves with Colbert tickets, Cyclones tickets and 4 more shows.  And dinner at Keen's!

• Love 2

OMG, I love Keen's. Have the mutton chop with their own recipe mint jelly! Easier to do in cooler weather, though. I will worry for you having meat sweats on top of everything else.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, attica said:

OMG, I love Keen's. Have the mutton chop with their own recipe mint jelly! Easier to do in cooler weather, though. I will worry for you having meat sweats on top of everything else.

Had those a couple of years ago on one of our winter trips...delish!  This time, we're going for my birthday.  The only certain thing is I'll be drinking some wine :-)

• Love 1

ebk57 . . . I wish I had known you were coming. I don't know when I'll be going to Baltimore soon. I haven't been to their comic convention in a few years, and I tried to see the Orioles when I came there.

2 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

ebk57 . . . I wish I had known you were coming. I don't know when I'll be going to Baltimore soon. I haven't been to their comic convention in a few years, and I tried to see the Orioles when I came there.

I'll be there all week.  Come and see the Cyclones with us on the 23rd!  

And do let me know when you're next in Baltimore.  Love to catch a game with you.

watching the re-broadcast 20th Anniversary of the '96 team now and I wonder why Posada was the first one to come out but the rest of the starting lineup was introduced at the end. Very strange. 

The game replay will be on soon and I want to see the new kids hit their HR's.

Already digging the head of hair on Tyler Austin. Very fingers through the hair-able.

http://web.yesnetwork.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=1045263283&topic_id=5869378&c_id=yesnetwork

Edited by prican58
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ordinarily, I would agree with @xaxat and @King of Birds about Sterling(some of the stuff he comes up with is pretty lame), but with a kid named Judge, that one just writes itself.  And I got a kick out of Paul Severino's "the Honorable Aaron Judge presiding in right field" on Quick Pitch .

ETA: I'm at the point in the encore where Paul O'Neill suggests "Austin Powers", so how about "Austin Powers one into the seats!"

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 1

I've heard a lot of interesting things in my life but I'm pretty sure the top of the list is now reserved for "Enter Sandman" played on the organ.

I love these Yankees (Mo and Posada and Pettite and Jeter and number 51 in your program and number one in my heart Bern Baby Bern) SO MUCH.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

mojo, I struggle sometimes in the order of my Core Four Plus One Yankees. Sometimes it's Andy but most times it's Bernie. I remember him coming up 1 or 2 seasons before the others and I just knew he was special. Those long legs, that quiet bespectacled look and the fact he was Puerto Rican just cemented him in my heart. 

I can safely pick the order of affection from the bottom up: Jeter, Mo, Posada, Andy and Bernie. Yes, DJ is last because while I do love him and what he has meant to the organization there is no warm and fuzzy for me. Same for Mo, but he is really the one player with whom the Yanks could not have won those 4 WS with him as closer. Greatness. Jorgie is my bull dog. The guy who's internal passion and fire is so great and whose adorable big ears really endear him.

Andy? Man, the aw shucks 'tude, those gorgeous nose, lips and eyes and above all his clutch pitching in important games make him the def #2. 

Bernie, as I have said is the man for me. mojo, he was so much fun to watch play, wasn't he?

• Love 1

He totally was!  I loved Paul's descriptions today - Bernie was like a guitar player who wandered into the clubhouse and Andy was always muttering to himself.  I can't remember what he said about Jorge, DJ and Mo.

Derek is at the bottom for me too, then Andy and then Jorge and Mo tied for second.

I always backed A-Rod in the Alex-Derek war.

Man it seems like with the exception of yesterday the Yankees just cannot win on their special days.

Only games I watch are Yankee games!  So I can't comment on anything else.

I mean, I'm AWARE of Giancarlo's injury and Bryce coming back and Matz almost pitching a no-no and whatever the hell Mookie Betts did, but that's only because the At Bat and ESPN apps tell me so.  Otherwise, my TV is on YES.

That's why I don't comment as much, too much Yankees/Mets love.

But at least my current favorite player played today.

And we beat the Braves w/o allowing them to almost come back.

And the Orioles won today, so the Giants can go back to winning tomorrow or whenever.

• Love 1

Chose to go to a writers' meetup. Would have killed me if Matz threw a no-hitter, because I missed Johan's four years ago. I was working, I decided to nap that Friday . . . who knew a Mets pitcher would beat the odds? Here's hoping the Mets can turn things around . . . 26,000-plus attendance is not something to write home about. I'd like to say that the heat kept some away, but that's still not a good figure.

I  also find that I'm only ever interested in what Yanks do or don't do. And the Mets because it's impossible to avoid them in NYC. But I do not hate the Mets anymore.  I have been to Citi Field more than the new Stadium due to a friend having partial season tkts and actually had an opportunity to go today but health/heat/subway issues nixed that idea. 

jennifer6973, don't be afraid. Bring on the comments. This is a safe place. I have a certain fondness for the O's because I remember the great late 60s/early 70's teams and their abundance of 20 game pitchers. Rooted for them in '69 during the prime Mets hate years.  

K of B, I think it seems that way due to all the recent Yankees upheaval. It's non stop in the media here but it is dying down a bit. The Baby Bombers back to back debut kept it going but it will level out.