Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Mine did okay - thanks for asking.

Going to the game tomorrow afternoon.  Weather is supposed to be fab.  I sprained my left ankle and broke a bone in my right foot in San Diego last week, so I'm glad our seats tomorrow aren't too difficult to get to.  Yippee.

• Hugs 6
5 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Mine did okay - thanks for asking.

Going to the game tomorrow afternoon.  Weather is supposed to be fab.  I sprained my left ankle and broke a bone in my right foot in San Diego last week, so I'm glad our seats tomorrow aren't too difficult to get to.  Yippee.

Ouch.  What happened?

And...

Go, O's!!!

On 8/23/2024 at 9:27 AM, catrox14 said:

I love the Old Town Mexican Cafe.

I should mention that we made it to one game at Petco.  I was less than impressed, but I think I picked the wrong seats.  I was looking forward to the second game because I think we had better seats, but I'm clumsy, so that didn't happen. 

We did get to the Old Town Mexican Cafe - it was fab.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

We also ate at Monello in Little Italy (I injured my feet at the farmers market there- ah well).  A friend of Mr. ebk's recommended it.  It was good, although for some reason, not what I was expecting.  The friend also recommended The Marine Room in La Jolla.  A spectacular evening in all aspects. 

Just now, Johannah said:

Ouch.  What happened?

And...

Go, O's!!!

We went to the farmers market (where Mr. ebk got a wonderful homemade PopTart!).  I tripped in a pothole/rut in the street.  He went back to the hotel to get the cane he always packs.  Walking back to the hotel, I stepped off of a curb and the gutter was sloped backwards, and that's where I broke the bone in my other foot.  Can't take me anywhere!

Thanks for asking.

Go Os!!!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 2
13 hours ago, DMK said:

image.gif.51d64216d4f5341b098f2e7f09f28dde.gif
Everyone’s teams not do good this weekend?

My team (STL) did great! Probably all too late, but ya know, it ain't over 'til it's over. 

@ebk57 that sounds awful! I hope the Yankees' weekend made yours a little better. ;)

• Like 2
(edited)

Phillies had a good weekend.  Got great starting pitching  three out of four games. The bullpen was great three out of four games and not great starting pitching and bullpen games were the same game . My guy Brandon Marsh had a huge home run Thursday. Edmundo Sosa and Trea Turner had big hits Saturday and Nick Castellanos had the game winning home run Thursday and all three rbis yesterday including a walk off single in extras. I adore him. He started off so slow but has been the Phils most consistent hitter since like June. He has four walkoffs this year the most in baseball.

Side note because I don't watch every weekend but has Sunday night baseball got extra bad . I've haven thought it was good in years but it was downright terrible yesterday. 

Edited by shoregirl
  • Like 3
7 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Tigers did well - took the series from the Red Sox.  Only 4.5 games back from the last Wild Card slot.  I am not holding my breath, but it beats having no hope whatsoever.

Tigers passed the Mariners in the wild card. So there’s that.

• Like 1
(edited)

The stupidity of the Red Sox manager taking out Criswell pitching very well probably won yesterday's game by the Tigers. 

Edited by rcc
9 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I love Kevin. 

I did feel sorry for the Sox tonight (and yesterday) in an abstract sort of way. 

Me, too.  There are going to be one-sided games and if your team is on the winning side and you're playing a good team, it can be fun to watch and cheer.  But when you are playing a team that is struggling as bad as the WS are, it's harder to watch.  Not that you'd want to lose to that team, but make it short of embarrassing...  Of course, you can't ask your team to not try and thereby effect their stats, but you can hope for less embarrassing...  Maybe play your bench more?

• Like 2
7 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Evidently, the umping didn't help either.

Screenshot_20240904_103316_DuckDuckGo.jpg

He was horrible. The only upside of that was getting to see several closeups of Grady Sizemore...

• LOL 2

I've always had the feeling that John Flaherty wasn't particularly crazy about Michael Kay, and their conversation during the top of the 7th today just confirmed it for me. Lots of tension in that booth. 

(edited)

I have no idea why it was odd to me that Michael called him John and not Flash, but it was.  It does sound like Flash was being a little annoying when Michael felt off and maybe they could have kept that private?

Also a Friday afternoon Yankees game at Wrigley Field makes me think of Brett Gardner.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1
On 9/1/2024 at 7:27 PM, ebk57 said:

I should mention that we made it to one game at Petco.  I was less than impressed, but I think I picked the wrong seats.  I was looking forward to the second game because I think we had better seats, but I'm clumsy, so that didn't happen. 

We did get to the Old Town Mexican Cafe - it was fab.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

We also ate at Monello in Little Italy (I injured my feet at the farmers market there- ah well).  A friend of Mr. ebk's recommended it.  It was good, although for some reason, not what I was expecting.  The friend also recommended The Marine Room in La Jolla.  A spectacular evening in all aspects. 

We went to the farmers market (where Mr. ebk got a wonderful homemade PopTart!).  I tripped in a pothole/rut in the street.  He went back to the hotel to get the cane he always packs.  Walking back to the hotel, I stepped off of a curb and the gutter was sloped backwards, and that's where I broke the bone in my other foot.  Can't take me anywhere!

Thanks for asking.

Go Os!!!

Oh no. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. San Diego is notoriously bad about street maintenance. Glad you had a good time in Old Town and La Jolla at least.

FWIW, I don't like Petco either. It's too hard to get around. It's like over the river and through the woods to find your seat. JMHO.  (I'm spoiled on Coors Field though. It is so easy to get around that ballpark.

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Oh no. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. San Diego is notoriously bad about street maintenance. Glad you had a good time in Old Town and La Jolla at least.

FWIW, I don't like Petco either. It's too hard to get around. It's like over the river and through the woods to find your seat. JMHO.  (I'm spoiled on Coors Field though. It is so easy to get around that ballpark.

This!  Thanks for putting this into the words that were not forming in my brain.  The concourses are narrow and curving, which for a new(ish) ballpark, is quite a strange design decision.  We were sitting in the last row of the lower part of the box seats and there's no appreciable rake there, so it was hard to see.  I was looking forward to the second game because we had seats in the club level, so there would have been some height at least.  Ah well... 

Thanks for your good thoughts!  We're in NYC now and in the previous 50 years I've been coming here, I've never noticed how uneven the sidewalks are 😄 Take care of your feet kids - they're important! 

• Like 2

Isn’t it right by the lake? I’ve noticed that with all ballparks that are right by the water, seagulls are waiting for the game to be over so they can swoop in on all the food leftovers.

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Feels like there may only be one of us here who understands this photo without context. 😃

Iron Splash!! 

There is no way on this earth I would ever sit in the Splash Zone.  I feel I need to make that clear in case anyone was wondering...

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

There is no way on this earth I would ever sit in the Splash Zone.  I feel I need to make that clear in case anyone was wondering...

In peak summer, I probably wouldn’t mind but isn’t it getting too cool out now for that?

PNC Park is empty because this was a makeup game, rescheduled from last night for no reason.  Also, it's football season.  In addition, Pittsburgh's no-hitter on Wednesday was part of a 12-0 loss, one of the biggest shutouts in a game that featured a no-hitter.  BTW, they were on their way to getting no-hit for the second time in less than a week (broken up in the 7th).

It's over for the Pirates this year, and that's on their leadership.  However, the "vacant" ballpark isn't new; that's been the case all season, if not the past 2-3 years, if not over the past half decade.  Unless Skenes is pitching (or on a lesser note, if there are fireworks).  Now, it's not empty earlier in the year, but it's not close to full capacity either.

Therefore, when there's an unplanned game in September (FWIW, this time 24 hours ago, no one could picture a Saturday matinee on September 7th) unless you're in a pennant race, nobody is going to go, period.  Anytime one had was spent preparing for a Friday evening game that didn't take place

• Useful 2
On 9/6/2024 at 3:21 PM, mojoween said:

One last thing about Wrigley - are there always flocks of birds hanging around in the outfield?

Proof that Phoenicians are tougher — last year the Home of the Dbacks had a big-ass swarming beehive on the netting behind home plate 🤣

• Like 1
On 9/7/2024 at 7:57 AM, mojoween said:

Feels like there may only be one of us here who understands this photo without context. 😃

Cool note:  the Splash Zone is above the opposing team's pitcher's bullpen and one of the guys threw a baseball up to Cal to get an autograph.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, baldryanr said:

All of those empty seats are because of the heat, right?  Because that's the type of crowd I would have expected to see at Ohtani's previous home.

Yeah, it was 101.  On the Guardians' telecast, they showed big crowds of people up under the deck and on the concourses to get some shade.

• Useful 1

"The one constant through all the years Ray, has been baseball." When I heard the sad news last night, my mind went straight to Field of Dreams. Of course, I thought of Darth Vader, Mufasa and SO many other roles where James Earl Jones touched our emotions, but that FoD monologue goes straight to my heart--and tearducts. 😢

His was a unique and incomparable rendition of our National Anthem.  🇺🇸

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I was surprised to hear about this. I thought Rickey Henderson held the record. He was known for his leadoff jacks back in the day. 

Rickey Henderson still holds the overall lead off homer record but the most he ever hit in a single season was nine.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2