Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

That’s just to get rid of that stupid opener thing. There are exceptions: 100 pitches, 4 ER, injury, they can come out.

I don’t know what that’ll mean for “bullpen day”, I guess that’ll go away too.

Is there anyway to sue MLB for conduct detrimental to the well being of some of the best players that help make their sport a success?

• Like 1

Hee hee, in a 11-3 loss to Atlanta, the Los Angeles Angels broadcasters declared the Player of the Game to be the umpire who they saw wearing a Kramer from Seinfeld shirt under his umpire jacket (while Seinfeld theme music played).

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

IMO, MLB could have announced Chicago as being "out of postseason contention" a month ago. 

Apologies for the upcoming triple negative, but an announcement of that nature would have been correct in advance; I guess there's always a chance to win out.  From there, MLB would not have been right, but it's not like they haven't been wrong before

It’s about the math. How many games are left vs. number of games back. We all knew months ago that the White Sox were toast but mathematically, it was still possible for them to win if they won every single game for the rest of the year. 

• LOL 4

This is so cool. The Little Leaguers in Williamsport got to ride on the bus with the Yankees going to the field!

Too many photos to load, so I've just linked here to Bryan Hoch's FB post. (Hoch is MLB's beat reporter for the Yankees.) There are probably similar photos from the Tigers' bus, if anyone follows their beat reporters.

https://www.facebook.com/100044041393601/posts/pfbid0CCSt8rLVaWwZg43oBxyAd2FGzDFHRB7hHemk6Uiwawyz53FLEn251XXNk16Pe2ivl/?app=fbl

• Like 4

Hearing the big leaguers talk about their favorite kids shows that are the same ones I watched when my son was little makes me verklempt and also consider my mortality, as I am now a mom with a kid the same age as (or older than!) big leaguers.

• Like 3

The Yankees just CANNOT win the special games.  They lost Field of Dreams, they lost Williamsport, more times than not they lose on player number retirement days, thank goodness they pasted Boston in London or they would have that too.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Alec Bohm does have great flow. Also of note he doesn't usually play first but Bryce Harper has the day off and Bohm moved from 3rd to 1st.

But this picture is great.  I keep.looking at the different fans reactions and it makes me laugh. 

There have been a lot of great bats this weekend but Brandon Marsh and Alec Bohm's are probably my favorite 

Edited by shoregirl
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

The Yankees just CANNOT win the special games.  They lost Field of Dreams, they lost Williamsport, more times than not they lose on player number retirement days, thank goodness they pasted Boston in London or they would have that too.

They did that for me as a birthday present, and I really appreciate it!  😄

• Sad 1
  • LOL 5

I am at a point in my life when I am reminded of my age on an almost daily basis.  But yesterday when the Brewers honored "The Kid" Robin Yount on the 50th anniversary of his first major league season, I swear I actually could hear my arteries hardening and my bones creaking.  How can that have been FIFTY years ago?  

• Like 7
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1

I think it's Cooperstown-bound for the 40-year old.  It's too bad he didn't play for a better organization since it would've been pretty neat to see him accomplish something big.  However, the personal accomplishments are there, and that says something.  A significant something to be honest.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Carey said:

I think it's Cooperstown-bound for the 40-year old.  It's too bad he didn't play for a better organization since it would've been pretty neat to see him accomplish something big.  However, the personal accomplishments are there, and that says something.  A significant something to be honest.

I don’t know, Votto is kind of a bubble player. Very good but probably not quite good enough. I mean, Lance Berkman had better numbers and he fell off the ballot after the first year.

• Like 1

Went to Dodger Stadium tonight.  The last couple times I was there, I sat in the upper deck in the cheap(er) seats.  Tonight, we splurged on loge seats, where we discovered that the seats are sized for children.  At least the game was fun and the weather was great. 

Tomorrow, off to San Diego.  Games Friday and Saturday.  This will be our first games at Petco.  Went a couple times to the old stadium. 

If anyone has suggestions on what else to do in San Diego, feel free to thrown them out here.

• Like 7
11 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Went to Dodger Stadium tonight.  The last couple times I was there, I sat in the upper deck in the cheap(er) seats.  Tonight, we splurged on loge seats, where we discovered that the seats are sized for children.  At least the game was fun and the weather was great. 

Tomorrow, off to San Diego.  Games Friday and Saturday.  This will be our first games at Petco.  Went a couple times to the old stadium. 

If anyone has suggestions on what else to do in San Diego, feel free to thrown them out here.

Petco is walking distance from the Gaslamp District. Lots of excellent food there, running the gamut of price points. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 8/22/2024 at 12:17 AM, ebk57 said:

San Diego resident here, if you want to go to the beach, Ocean Beach is 10 minutes ish from Petco, (traffic varies). You can take the trolley to Old Town and then Uber or Lyft or bus to Ocean Beach.  Old Town itself has all kinds of reasonably priced and higher priced Mexican restaurants and a supposedly haunted house you can tour.( Whaley House). I love the Old Town Mexican Cafe. Good margaritas. 

As for Ocean Beach there is a great restaurant right next to the pier called South Beach (excellent fish tacos and great views).

Point Loma is right next to OB. If you want good reasonably priced fresh seafood go to Point Loma Seafood (halibut plate is great ). In that area if you have time,  you can go to the Point Loma light house.

The zoo and Balboa Park as well as Sea World are all to 15 minutes (traffic varies)from downtown as well. And also, if you have time, there is La Jolla but that's 20 minutes(ish) north of downtown.  Hope you have a great time!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 5

As incredible as Ohtani has been, Judge has been even better (unless you consider stolen bases to be the most important stat).  These players are having historically great seasons, they're in the biggest markets, and they're playing for arguably the biggest name teams.

So why does it seem like no one outside of their fans really cares?  Has baseball really fallen that far?

• Like 2

Since sluggers and speedsters are such different skill sets, I consider the 40/40 feat pretty incredible. No one playing the sport did it until 1988. Ohtani is only the 6th. 

But as I noted above, what Acuna pulled off last year was otherworldly. 

• Like 4

No one has done 45/45 or 50/50 in the same season, let alone the same game.  Ohtani has the chance to get there.  Probably not in the same game but an unprecedented feat nonetheless.

While Judge has been better in all of Baseball, I think I'd go with Shohei before Aaron in terms of the greatest of all time when all is said & done.  I guess I'm just waiting for the latter to go 27 up, and 27 down.

• Like 2

Meh. Once they changed the rules about stolen bases, I no longer care.  Rickey would steal a thousand bases by July if he played now.  At his age.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

See?  See!??  They. Cannot. Win. On. Special. Days.

I hear ya.

Clarke Schmidt cannot get back fast enough.

6 hours ago, smittykins said:

Old Timers’ Day!

(NGL, though, I’m bummed that they no longer have an actual game.)

As an out-of-market fan, I can't watch anything but the game live, so I just finished watching the OTD ceremony on MLB's YouTube channel.

Celebrating the 15th anniversary of the 2009 World Series Championship was fun, but I was quite surprised by some of the core players of that season who were not there: Mark Teixeira, Robinson Cano, Melky Cabrera, Brett Gardner, Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain. David Robertson's still playing, of course! Has any mention been made of the no-shows by the NY media? 

I agree that I still miss the OT game being played, although in the booth during the actual game, Paul O'Neill said he's glad they don't play it any more. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

Brett Gardner is, I believe, still salty at The Yankees for the shitty way they discarded him, but he also lives in the Carolinas and his son played in a football game last night, I heard.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, DMK said:

Robinson Cano is playing in Mexico. No idea on any of the others.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

Brett Gardner is, I believe, still salty at The Yankees for the shitty way they discarded him, but he also lives in the Carolinas and his son played in a football game last night, I heard.

I wondered if he might still have been pissed off at Yankees' management, or maybe he thought it was just too soon for him to be an Old Timer. (I remember that Mike Mussina felt that he had to wait a certain number of years to return.) OTOH, I'd think you'd want to take the opportunity to reunite with old teammates to celebrate a milestone moment. 

Watching the 2009 celebration video (why was Nick Swisher pitching?  That couldn’t have been for a good reason) and I know he has his haters, mostly for being a bonehead, but gotdamn watching Alex Rodriguez hit a baseball was SUCH a beautiful thing.  Also Andy Pettite ran the bases in a jacket and that is the only thing I miss about the permanent DH.

• Like 1

Watching the 2009 celebration video (why was Nick Swisher pitching?  That couldn’t have been for a good reason)

15-5 Yankees loss to the Rays at the Trop in April. Swish gave up a hit, but no runs. 

Still a week left in August and Aaron Judge just hit his 50th home run. Remarkable.

I have to say that I'm getting a little tired of hearing commentators say that Judge is doing this despite having terrible numbers in April. That needs a little clarification. April was Aaron Judge's spring training, as he had missed a good chunk of ST with an abdominal injury. If they want to mention April, fine, but at least remind everyone why.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I remember the game that Swish pitched.  He was pretty much laughing through his appearance, and later, Posada(while not calling him out specifically)said something like “This isn’t funny, we were getting our ass kicked.”

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

I’m wondering if there is any point in time when Nick Swisher *isn’t* laughing.

My feeble mind cannot wrap my head around this Danny Jansen situation.  I truly thought they were saying he was going to play for both teams in the same game on the same day and then I had to lay down.

• LOL 5

Seeing a clip of Shohei’s dog “throwing” the first pitch thawed my cold heart. He is so adorable. No wonder people stood for hours so they can get that bobblehead. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1