Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

26 minutes ago, DMK said:

Marlins moved him to the outfield just last year, Jazz was a 2B before that for years.

I'm aware, but he's never played 3rd (or 1st, for that matter) and those are where the Yankees need help. Gleyber's already been moved. I like 2nd and Short just as they are. 

I just see this as another boneheaded, desperate Cashman move.

The Yankees need to strengthen the bullpen. Also, I hope Clarke Schmidt returns soon. It was a big loss when he was injured. 

• Like 2

What are the Rays doing? They are only 3.5 out of a playoff spot and are having a fire sale ..Arrozerna, Eflin and now Paredes

They are closer to a playoff spot than the Cubs are.

I say this with love to my fellow Phillies fans but if the stadium is close to a dispensary some of you should be way more chill. You too Red Sox fans 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I'm aware, but he's never played 3rd (or 1st, for that matter) and those are where the Yankees need help. Gleyber's already been moved. I like 2nd and Short just as they are. 

Oh, if anything, the only other move Gleyber is making is to the bench. Jazz is probably his replacement for next year, Yankees will be letting Gleyber walk at the end of the year. But most likely, for this year, Jazz is a better bat than Grisham in center.

48 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

Lane Thomas formerly of the Nationals going to Cleveland, is one reason I only root for the team and try not to have a favorite player.

I feel you. My team is always a seller. 

Speaking of, WTF Tampa Bay? 

I always hesitate to grow fond of any of the flotsam players on my favorite team, because they're often gone by August. 

• Hugs 2

I found a button on the AtBat where you can delay notifications by 30 seconds, which is darling.  The CBS Sports app, however, has no such button.  Baby steps!

• Like 3
(edited)
On 7/29/2024 at 1:18 PM, mojoween said:

Long ago, I thought Justin Turner was going to retire a Dodger.  Shows what I know.

I'm a lifelong Dodgers' fan, (and I'm old enough to remember winning in '88) and I hope that when JT finally decides to hang it up, the team gives him a one-day contract so he can retire a Dodger.  A girl can dream... 

That said, I'm glad he's still able to play the game he loves.

Edited by Kindred Spirit
Forgot the sentimental part.
  • Like 3
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

Mike Trout is not, never has been, nor ever will be, Mickey Mantle.

Let's hope that's true in his personal life - Mantle's off the field story is horrible.

• Like 2

Trout's career is a lot like Ken Griffey Jr's, but in the 90s I remember Griffey being pretty well known, and he's still an icon of the era.  Trout's on the road to being instantly forgotten.

Oh, and Griffey was a member of the Springfield Nuclear Plant's Softball team.  Can't beat that.

• Like 1

Junior's Geico commercials are hilarious.  They've been around for 9-10 months and I've been seeing them during the Olympics, too. He's still an icon.

• Like 2
(edited)

Does anyone know what is the longest losing streak in MLB history? I didn't realized till last night that the Chicago White Sox lost their 19th game in the row. Hopefully, it'll be loss #20 for those losers today. 🤣 😂

Edited by Magog
10 minutes ago, Magog said:

Does anyone know what is the longest losing streak in MLB history? I didn't realized till last night that the Chicago White Sox lost their 19th game in the row. Hopefully, it'll be loss #20 for those losers today. 🤣 😂

In 1889, the Louisville Colonels lost 26 and that's the record MLB recognizes.

In the modern era, the Phillies lost 23 straight in 1961.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, baldryanr said:

The White Sox get to play the As next, so that's as good of a chance as any to break their streak.

Hey, the A's have been playing decently of late (until last night anyway). 

I don’t know how it’s possible to adore Joe Girardi in the booth more than I did Joe Girardi the player and Joe Girardi the manager, but here I am.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 2

We got 2 absolute losers (White Sox - A's) playing each other tonight in Oakland. Hopefully the White Sox will get loss #21 tonight.

• Sad 1
(edited)

A's 5 - White Sox 1

The White Sox losing streak has reached 21 games. It tied an American League record for the longest streak at 21 (by that 1988 Baltimore Orioles). Hopefully, 22 will come calling for them tonight. 😊 🤣

Edited by Magog
  • Mind Blown 1

Adnan Virk said Mike Trout “is a 3-time MVP so I guess he is a Hall of Famer?” and that is an excellent question.  It feels like if he gets in on the first ballot, it’s going to be on potential.

If he's getting in on the first ballot then it'll be because of his statistical peak.  Look at his 2012-2019 stats - that's up there with the pantheon level greats.  Besides the three MVPs, he finished second 4 times too. 

Plus this isn't basketball, so the lack of playoff appearances won't be held against him that much. 

The longevity might be an issue, though. Trout hasn’t played enough to compile what some believe to be necessary stats. He needs volume. For instance, he does not have 2000 hits. Not even really that close. 

Damn it! The White Sox finally won a game last night beating the A's 5-1.😠 

Seeing them finally winning a game after losing 21 in a row is bringing me absolute sadness right now.

• LOL 1

The A’s were kind of poking at them about it before the game. They played Taylor Swift’s “22” during the lineup announcement.

• LOL 3

Pedro Grifol fired Grady Sizemore is the interim White Sox manager.

You finally win a game and they get rid of the manager . I don't pay that much attention to the White Sox so I don't know how he was as a manager but it seems to me it's not really his  fault that  they were so bad. The GM and owners are not really putting a good team on the field. They have a couple very good players (Crochet and Roberts Jr.  for example) but their surroundings players are not good and  ownership doesn't seem like they care to put a better product on the field.

Sizemore seems like a out of no where pick. Though it seems they also fired their bench coach.

• Like 3

Maybe Chicago would've kept him instead had the White Sox lost instead to take the outright AL record as opposed to simply tying it /j

• Like 2

I thought it was hilarious that during the loss to the Angels, the Yankees broadcasters were focusing their attention on a fan cinched up in a poncho like a garbage bag.

• LOL 3
On 8/4/2024 at 10:20 AM, ebk57 said:

I try to forget, but I can't.

Girrrrrrrrlllllll, we’ve all been there.  In my case, with the Royals and the Chiefs.

• Love 1

If a dumpster was a baseball fan & could talk...the ability to watch television would be amazing.  Up until the level where it turned on the TV, saw the Pirates, and said, "Man, that is the ugliest dumpster I've ever seen in my life."

10 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Today's NY Times' Connections: Easiest purple (tricky) grouping ever for this Yankees' fan!

Screenshot_20240814_222711_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I have to confess, I got it as the last group. And even then, I was thinking, "okay, fictional animals, I guess, but who the heck is Lou?"

Sorry, Yogi!