Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I agree with you about something! I think it would be fair to say that call in some ways changed the outlook of the rest of the playoffs.

It sure did since St. Louis went from probably losing the wild card game to winning the World Series.

I loved that they called the Infield Fly rule, do two people have to be on base when it's called or just at least one?

In other news, I recently learned that Walks (and Balks for that matter) don't count as at bats.  So I need to apologize for the atrocious scoring I did a long time ago and the over inflated averages.

Yeah, O's won and then the Nats won.  Let's keep both of those up boys.

It sure did since St. Louis went from probably losing the wild card game to winning the World Series.

Them the breaks.. said the life long Cardinal fan.

(But yes that was a stretch of a call.)

I loved that they called the Infield Fly rule, do two people have to be on base when it's called or just at least one?

It applies only with runners on first and second or if the bases are loaded and less than two outs.

Speaking of things we didn't know, Michael Kay and Ken Singleton were talking about Jacoby Ellsbury not stealing when Ken thought he should of because the batter had a good count and Ken said that the batter would start fresh the next inning.

I always thought if their at bat was interrupted by an out, they started with the count they ended with.

See, I LIKE baseball, but I'm not so much with the KNOWING baseball. I had to have pitching from the stretch explained to me and also thought that balls were accidents, not that a pitcher was trying to throw an odd pitch to get a hitter to chase.

Football, OTOH, I'm golden.

I always thought if their at bat was interrupted by an out, they started with the count they ended with.

I've always felt this *should* be the rule; also, if a batter reaches base on an error, it should be treated like a walk/HBP(his batting average shouldn't go down, it's not his fault the fielder effed up). But clearly, I don't make the rules. :)

He should talk to Eckersley, or the bald-headed tandem of Remy/Orsillo (who talked about mens hairstyles for about 2 innings tonight) about cutting your moss before doing anything impetuous.

I don't know what the production crew fed Don and Jerry last night, but they were like giddy five year olds whose parents gave them pure sugar for supper. I dunno if they were in a good mood because the Sox stomped all over Johnny Cueto, or because Don just enjoys hauling out that old photo of him with Vin Scully, or?

I wonder if, deep down, Matt Harvey is glad they skipped his start this weekend.

It was Star Wars night in Denver, and the scoreboard featured Rockies players photoshopped as their Star Wars counterparts. Their Jose Reyes as Lando Calrissian was spot on! 

Now I HEARD Meredith Marakovits telling us Joe Girardi's explanation why A-Rod didn't play yesterday and is not playing today, but I still think it's weird Alex is not playing on Jorge or Andy day.

Also, while I am sure this is probably cool for people who could only go to one of the games in person, it's kind of ridiculous to watch on TV.

Hey, remember this Yankee great...you just saw yesterday? Let's welcome him back to Yankee Stadium 24 hours later!

I mean, the only difference is that Reggie Jackson wasn't on the field yesterday for Jorge. Which is strange, because Jorge thanked him in his speech when he was thanking people who were in the chairs.

Edited by mojoween

Got to see the A's ambidextrous pitcher blow a lead in the 9th last night. Not sure being a switch pitcher is so impressive when you can only throw balls with your left hand.

You know a team is bad when the Play of the Game went to a diving catch... by the ball boy.

• Love 3

mojo, I don't think we need to make a big deal out of the Reggie/Jorge thing. Yeah, it's kinda odd but what can you do.

The Pettitte salute was lovely, and Andy was his usual aw shucks self. Really, just one of the good guys. Folks will dwell on the HGH use but I really don't think he thought of it as cheating. He even stopped using it when he just didn't feel right about it. I don't even know if he even used it for more than a cycle or two. 

He's a very guileless man with no subversive streak.  I think HGH should be allowed but under supervision of the conditioning/training people. If it  really helps in the healing process, then it shoud be allowed.

Maybe I am biased beause I have loved him since day one. But he is my favorite Yankee.

Now, C.C. better have a good game and we need to win because less than a split is less than ideal. Oh and can I say that Adam Warren is my new pitching fave? I hope that next season the pitching staff will be such that we can keep him in the rotation.  He is wonderful out of the pen but he wants to be a starter and I think that is what he really needs to be. Otherwise when he's a free agent (which won't be for a while) he might sign where he can start for sure. Would hate to lose him.

Thanks CC. Ground rule double and a HR. Still early but, damn. If he can get out of the first with just two runs he may still be able to get his groove. But he's on his regular start (no extra rest) so it doesn't bode well. Just walked a guy but there are 2 outs so we will see. I think CC has one more season left on the contract. Maybe he should be a bullpen guy next year. Don't think that will happen, though.

Well CC is out, hurt himself somehow and now it's the bull pen in the 2nd inning. Was hoping Warren would come in but no, it's Rumbelow. Let's see.

Edited by prican58

It's possible no one actually wants the NL West. The Giants went on a 2-5 road trip (battling the NL Central) and could have lost so much ground in the standings except the Dodgers lost five in a row and the Giants ultimately gained a game in the standings. They best both beware of the Diamondbacks! 

Edited by rippleintime17

Grantland's "The 30" column features the Mets this week. It's hard not to feel optimistic these days . . . .they up by five games on the preseason darlings, they have the weakest schedule in the majors (only .500-plus team they'll face is the Yankees), and David Wright comes back after four months of injury. Like I said before, they could overtake the Dodgers, get the home field in the NLDS, and have a good shot of going to their fifth World Series (third in my lifetime).

ETA: Terry Collins gets NL Manager of the Year, right? I mean, I know that he's been in charge of the team through a lot of their sub-.500 seasons, but this edition is interesting to watch.

ETA2: I was wrong . ..  the Nationals are (barely) above .500. And I don't think I'll make the Jesse Orosco bobblehead game this Saturday. The only other mid-afternoon game is the last one of the season against the Nationals, which starts at 3 p.m. Should I tempt fate and get a ticket?

ETA3: David Wright just crushed a ball in the Mets/Phillies game. Phillies are still up, 3-1, but damn, that was good to see.

Speaking of the NL Central is Cutch the NL MVP front runner at this point?

Paul Goldschmidt, Dee Gordon, or Buster Posey for NL MVP?

Have to say Goldschmidt at this time (especially if they make the playoffs).

(edited)

MLB At Bat notification : "Video: Astros CF Carlos Gomez makes catch, fires home to double up Yanks' Brian McCann and keep it scoreless."

Ummm, I just saw that. In real time. I don't need to watch it again, thankyouverymuch. :)

Edited by smittykins

ETA2: I was wrong . ..  the Nationals are (barely) above .500. And I don't think I'll make the Jesse Orosco bobblehead game this Saturday. The only other mid-afternoon game is the last one of the season against the Nationals, which starts at 3 p.m. Should I tempt fate and get a ticket?

Yes.  Yes.  And yes!!   I always like to go to the last game of the season, no matter how bad the season was.

I'm obsessively checking StubHub now for the last 2 bobblehead games at Nats Park - Jason Werth and Calvin Coolidge.  Bonus is the Coolidge 'head is against the O's.

Had to play catch-up with American Ninja Warrior tonight. When I left the Mets, they were down 4-1. When I got back to them? Up 13-7. They wound up homering eight times in the 16-7 win. Just another full-filled night, and I'm kinda sorry I missed it.

ETA: Caught the highlights. The Mets scored fourteen unanswered runs to get the win. Also, there was a sizable contingent in Philly, and a lot of them stayed after the game to chant "WIL-MER FLO-RES!!!" as the second baseman got interviewed for SNY.

• Love 1

I'm obsessively checking StubHub now for the last 2 bobblehead games at Nats Park - Jason Werth and Calvin Coolidge.  Bonus is the Coolidge 'head is against the O's.

A few years ago the plan was for me to move to DC but it didn't pan out, and now I'm very sad about it as I want a Silent Cal bobblehead!

Checked the Mets site again. I'd have to pay $75 for a ticket to Saturday's game. I don't love Jesse Orosco that much. Stubhub Is a little better, but I'd only be getting a ticket for myself. Meanwhile, tickets are readily available for the final game of the season. Once again, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger for stupid reasons.

About a decade ago, then-Phillies GM Ed Wade said of Schilling, "Every fifth day, Curt's our horse. The other four days, he's our horse's ass." 

Also, there was a sizable contingent in Philly, and a lot of them stayed after the game to chant "WIL-MER FLO-RES!!!" as the second baseman got interviewed for SNY.

They were chanting every time he came to bat! I've never heard Mets fans that vocal in Phili before. An amazin' game. You gotta believe.

• Love 2

Aim, I think the people I'm going to the game with will want the Coolidge 'head, but if one of them doesn't, I'll send it to you!

Lantern7, StubHub works both ways.  If you buy a ticket to the last game now and can't go, I'll bet you could at least make your money back.  Also, if you wake up Saturday and want to go, you might be able to get a cheaper ticket at the last minute for the Orosco 'head.  I've always had a soft spot for Jesse because there were several years near the end of his career where he was the only active player older than me :-)

As for Schilling, I can't say anything nice, so I won't say anything...

About a decade ago, then-Phillies GM Ed Wade said of Schilling, "Every fifth day, Curt's our horse. The other four days, he's our horse's ass." 

That comparison is unfair to the actual ass of the horse.

Aim, I think the people I'm going to the game with will want the Coolidge 'head, but if one of them doesn't, I'll send it to you!

If that happens thank you in advance!!!!

mojoween . . . care to elaborate?

ebk57 . . . I'll check StubHub before noon on Saturday. The bobblehead is in limited quantities, and a lot of people are going to walk away empty-handed.

I am going to make at least one purchase of tickets . . . I talked my mother into going to a Staten Island Yankees game on Sunday. Tickets at $16 is a good deal, and there's no hassle in going. Getting to Brooklyn to see the Cyclones would be a bit of a bitch.

Wow. That's an ass-whumpin'. Maybe the Yankees will put at least one run on the board. Or maybe they'll put a position player to pitch.

Got the tickets. Total came at over $42 with fees, but it's still cheaper than going to the Bronx or Flushing for a game.

ETA: Turns out Jacob deGrom is slated to pitch on Saturday. That'll make tickets more scare.

• Love 1

Is it bad that I'm enjoying every minute of it.  On top of that my team is winning.  and I think my other team is winning.  Then again my third team the Reds had a good night last night, but I won't talk about them right now.

As for Schilling, I can't say anything nice, so I won't say anything...

To quote Alice Roosevelt Longworth (Teddy R's daughter), "If you can't say anything nice, come sit next to me."

• Love 3

I wound up DVRing Tosh.0 and Another Period when the Mets/Phillies game ran past 10 p.m. I probably won't do that tomorrow, but I wanted to see the Mets walk the tightrope. This time, they didn't fall off, and they won 6-5.

I know that the Mets will eventually break my heart. It'll be a question of "when" rather than "if," and yet, I don't care.