Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Their resentment is delicious.   Especially funny since their guy Phillip instigated it all.  But frankly it is old news to be getting that many boos .

But I like how they booed Albert and he was like I am not even a Cardinal any more.    Albert than jokingly booed Yadi too.

It's amazing to me that the Reds fans put so much energy into hating the Cardinals.  It's certainly not mutual.  Most Cardinals fans probably find a team 15.5 games out of first irrelevant.  Perhaps the Reds fans need to go back and review the facts.  Reds Phillips gave Molina a little tap with the bat - in fact, he gave him two taps.  Molina objected.  The incident evolved into a bench clearing which ended in both managers getting ejected.  Now I have to admit, as a woman I'm often baffled by how quickly men start posturing and swinging fists.  It's just beyond my experience and understanding.  But then you have to remember that Phillips said these words prior to that series starting:

I’d play against these guys with one leg. We have to beat these guys. I hate the Cardinals. All they do is bitch and moan about everything, all of them, they’re little bitches, all of ‘em.

I really hate the Cardinals. Compared to the Cardinals, I love the Chicago Cubs. Let me make this clear: I hate the Cardinals.

So if you're going to whine like a little bitch that another team is bitches, don't stroll up to the catcher and give him a love tap with your baseball bat.  Phillips spewed fighting words, taunted Molina, then couldn't handle the fallout.  And to really stress how petty the Reds fans are being - this incident occurred in August of 2010.  I had to go back and google to even remember this happened.

Now I realize that I'm putting energy into doing what I just criticized the Reds fans of doing, but that really pissed me off.  You are the home team and you should be supporting your fellow National League players for the united goal of home field advantage at the World Series.  I guess when you're battling the Brewers for last place, you don't bother exerting yourself.

Am I the only one who sees the mass attempt by players/fans/sportscasters/sports writers to redeem Pete Rose?  After years of saying he will never enter the Hall of Fame, I feel like there's a great push to at least get him on the ballot.

Here's the Cardinals/Reds brawl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcQkRI8yKyw

And can I say I adore former Cardinal Scott Rolen for putting himself between Molina/Carpenter and the Reds players?

Any reactions to MLB's "Franchise Four"?

I'm not impressed with the winners for the Braves.  Actually I'll take three out of the four as there's no way in hell I'd pick Chipper Jones over Tom Glavine.  I didn't vote for Spahn but it's hard to argue with his inclusion.

Braves

Hank Aaron

Chipper Jones

Greg Maddux

Warren Spahn

ETA:  I'm thrilled to see Edgar Martinez made the list for the M's and that all of the Expos/Nationals are former Expos.

(edited)

Any reactions to MLB's "Franchise Four"? My team got two castoffs from other clubs (Keith Hernandez from the Cardinals, Mike Piazza from the Dodgers via Florida), a guy who will probably end his career with the Mets and no World Series rings (David Wright), and the most popular Hall of Famer ever (Tom Seaver).

ETA: Speaking of Keith . . . he made a list on AVClub on twenty great athlete cameos. I had to share.

Only that of the four Washington Nationals franchise four, I think only one actually played for the Nationals.  I get the Nationals have only been around for ten years, but if they were going to do that, they should have just asked for four players from every team that was in the Major Leagues (ie: The Senator x2)

Also a lot of fans appreciate Nolan Ryan

Edited by jennifer6973

I was just thinking that it would be the same between Dodger and Giants fans.

I was thinking about how next year, the All-Star Game is in a NL West park and was wondering if Giants All-Stars would get booed. Then I remembered it is San Diego.

Am I the only one who sees the mass attempt by players/fans/sportscasters/sports writers to redeem Pete Rose?  After years of saying he will never enter the Hall of Fame, I feel like there's a great push to at least get him on the ballot.

I found it interesting indeed that the Reds fans love their Pete Rose but boo Ryan Braun, Barry Bonds, etc. At least be consistent! 

• Love 3

I was wondering the same thing, Jennifer - I guess I haven't paid much attention, although I do watch the game every year, but in 2010, they changed the rules and use the DH in the ASG, regardless of where it is played.

I think part of the rationale is that the pitcher likely wouldn't come to the plate in an All-Star Game anyway, since they only pitch an inning or so each. They figure it's better to get another offensive player in the lineup to showcase. 

If the game was being played in an NL park, why was the DH in use?

I recall that MLB changed the rules a few years ago- here is the info based on wiki:

In 2010, Major League Baseball announced the designated hitter rule would apply for every All-Star Game; while the 2010 game was already to have the DH, the 2011 game was the first played in a National League park with a DH.

And next year's game will be weird- it was supposed to take place in Baltimore, but then switched to San Diego.  Two years in a row in a NL city. BUT! The AL team will be the "home team" because of the "every other year" factor that they want to keep.

I think the reasoning for SD over Baltimore is the on-going pissing war between the O's, the Nats and MASN; and they pissed off Bud.  I wonder when the hell that NY judge is gonna rule on that.

The next THREE All-Star Games are in NL parks. Cincy, San Diego, Miami and Washington. So that's four in a row. I think because they announced so many at once, they were able to decide to have the AL home field in place every other year.

• Love 1

And next year's game will be weird- it was supposed to take place in Baltimore, but then switched to San Diego.  Two years in a row in a NL city. BUT! The AL team will be the "home team" because of the "every other year" factor that they want to keep.

And apparently, 2017 will be in Miami and 2018 in Washington, so an NL team will host 4 consecutive years.

• Love 1

Maybe MLB really doesn't want the ASG to be played in Tampa. And maybe Mets fans won't have to wait for almost a half-century before their team hosts it again. I consider myself a lapsed fan, but that still galls me.

That was interesting, thanks for posting it, Mojo. I am excited about these young arms the Mets have, but I've been a fan long enough to remember Generation K, and a whole host of young pitching phenoms who are somewhere bagging groceries at QuikMart...

The second half is starting for the NYY's and Tanaka has gotten thru the first inning very well. Refsnyder is starting at 2B. I see some Jeter in this kid. No, I don't think he is just like him but in his interviews he has that certain quality like he knows what the mission is and he has that low key personality of Jeter. I hope he proves himself enough to stay because it would be exciting to start the next gen of homegrown players. Not looking for another dynasty but a good solid team who play exciting ball. We'll see.

Seattle's Montgomery is pitching pretty good. 2K's and a walk and Tex is up. 

Tex strikes out.

Cruz is due up next for M's.

(edited)

This weekend, Time Warner Cable is offering a free preview of their Extra Innings service, where you can watch any of the games. 

I don't know if it's just my local office, but all of the games are in standard definition! Why on earth would they expect me to pay for a picture that look like crap?

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

I start watching baseball again, and the Nationals ballpark lights go out.  Sorry

Since the O's are sucking right now, I debated turning on the Nats since I hate Bob and FP soooooo much.  So thanks for letting me know this as it seems Bob and FP aren't on.  At least not during the dark delay.

This weekend, Time Warner Cable is offering a free preview of their Extra Innings service, where you can watch any of the games. 

I don't know if it's just my local office, but all of the games are in standard definition! Why on earth would they expect me to pay for a picture that look like crap?

That would be perfect for me since I'm the last person on earth with a non-HD dinosaur of a cathode ray TV, so the picture would actually fit on my screen.

That would be perfect for me since I'm the last person on earth with a non-HD dinosaur of a cathode ray TV, so the picture would actually fit on my screen.

Aim whut... WTF? I mean, I'm sorry but is your TV an heirloom? Something that was handed down generation to generation in your family? Oh wait- someone gold-plated the TV, so you need to keep it, melt it down and eventually retire? OR - this is like, a ten year dare that you lost? Perhaps, alas it's like a Lebowski rug; it just really ties the room together? ;-)  You know I luv ya, but, wow.

I've had the EI for 18 years now - do they still impose the ridiculous blackouts during the "free preview"?  I'd be pissed to get some preview and then find out 1/3 of the regular schedule is blocked due to 18th century draconian TV rules.

• Love 1

Aim, count me in. My Zenith 21 inch (or is it 18"?) 1986 is still rolling, although it is on its last legs. It's cool, though. I am prepared to buy a new one when Z Boy kicks. 

Sometimes I can't see the Yankee score in the upper left hand corner during YES games but that ok.

• Love 2

Aim whut... WTF? I mean, I'm sorry but is your TV an heirloom? Something that was handed down generation to generation in your family? Oh wait- someone gold-plated the TV, so you need to keep it, melt it down and eventually retire? OR - this is like, a ten year dare that you lost? Perhaps, alas it's like a Lebowski rug; it just really ties the room together? ;-)  You know I luv ya, but, wow.

I literally laughed out loud to this!!  I bought the TV about 15 years ago and it still works so why replace it?

• Love 1

I've got a question that probably can't get answered here:

When did the defensive maneuver of putting the third baseman behind the 1st/2nd baseman start? Combined w/ the outfielders playing shallow?

I think the Dodgers did that twice last night.  Wouldn't that be an offensive advantage?

You started seeing that extreme overshift for a handful of hitters a few years ago, but in the past couple of seasons, it has gotten much more pronounced.  The theory is if you have a strong pull hitter - and I've only seen it for left-handed batters - he is more likely to hit the ball to the right side, so they overload the defense that way.  I guess the guy could dink a ball to the opposite field and run forever, but most of these guys want to hit to their power and still try to pull it to right, despite the defensive alignment.

• Love 1

You started seeing that extreme overshift for a handful of hitters a few years ago, but in the past couple of seasons, it has gotten much more pronounced.  The theory is if you have a strong pull hitter - and I've only seen it for left-handed batters - he is more likely to hit the ball to the right side, so they overload the defense that way.  I guess the guy could dink a ball to the opposite field and run forever, but most of these guys want to hit to their power and still try to pull it to right, despite the defensive alignment.

Don't know the stats but Texeira keeps going yard so I'm not sure teams are still shifting on him.

• Love 1

I got my copy of Sports Illustrated yesterday. Beyond the USWNT and Serena coverage, there's a nice story on the Mets' pitching sextet. One oversight . . . nothing about their hitting adventures. How do you write about Steven Matz without mentioning his 3-for-3 debut with 4 RBI and his grandfather going apeshit in the stands?

• Love 1

I think this All Star game was his last hurrah. The combination of the game being in Cincinnati and a meeting with the new commissioner led to some speculation about a change in his status. Then the confirmation that he gambled on the Reds ended that. I don't foresee any other team or event offering him the kind of media attention he got last week. 

But I could be wrong. Rose is pretty smart about getting his name in the press.

Mets just won in St. Louis. It took them 18 innings, they left a small village stranded in scoring position, they went up 1-0 in the thirteenth only for Familia to give up a homer in the bottom of the inning . . . but they did it. Also, it was around 85 degrees at Busch Stadium, which is downright balmy in comparison to an average summer's day there. Good thing they didn't play in Queens . . .. I think we cracked 95 here.

• Love 2
(edited)

Mets just won in St. Louis. It took them 18 innings, they left a small village stranded in scoring position, they went up 1-0 in the thirteenth only for Familia to give up a homer in the bottom of the inning . . . but they did it. Also, it was around 85 degrees at Busch Stadium, which is downright balmy in comparison to an average summer's day there. Good thing they didn't play in Queens . . .. I think we cracked 95 here.

haha 85 is  a respite for St Louis.  It was 90+ most of last week.   

Edited by tom87
(edited)

It was torture for me just WATCHING this game on TV.    I kept thinking how awful it must have been for them to keep slogging away inning after inning in this heat.

Good thing they didn't play in Queens . . .. I think we cracked 95 here.

Exactly.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

Rainout in Anaheim! First one in 20 years!  But I'm telling you, damn it was good to get rain. So nice and cool tonight.

During the delay they mentioned the last time there was even a rain delay was April 2011 ... I was there for that one. This is the only Red Sox trip out here to Anaheim, and years ago I would have tried to make all four games. No such thing happening this year. Though I do wish I had time to play hooky and see the double-header tomorrow.

• Love 2

"Seems it never rains in Southern California.  Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before..."

Yeah, I'm a dork and just showed my age.

"But man it pours..."

You and me both!

• Love 2

In the World Series this year, left-handed 1B Brandon Belt beat the shift by bunting for a base hit right into the hole the defense left. He had only bunted a handful of times before and ran out the play successfully. I think as more and more guys get used to the defense shifting on them, they'll start to come up with ways to beat the shift, either by pulling the ball more successfully or bunting.

In the World Series this year, left-handed 1B Brandon Belt beat the shift by bunting for a base hit right into the hole the defense left. He had only bunted a handful of times before and ran out the play successfully.

On the flip side, I suppose the defense would rather a power hitter bunt for a single than get an extra base it.