Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, attica said:

I'm sorry to do this, but it's better you know than be surprised by it. John Sterling's home run call for Austin Romine? "Romey's my homie! "

I am sorry.

When Romine was interviewed after the game, he said he's happy he has a home-run call now.

(But I agree, it's pretty lame.)

ETA:  If three strikeouts is a "golden sombrero" and four is platinum, would five be titanium?

Edited by smittykins

I thought four strikeouts meant Golden Sombrero.

In other news, Subway Series Part One is this weekend. That is not gonna be pretty. Is Staton playing? He'll probably make up for lost time by homering three times per game.

On 6/3/2018 at 11:06 AM, mojoween said:

In other New York news, is “Mets fall 7-1 in 14 innings” a real headline or an Onion one?

I caught part of that game Saturday night - I was in a hotel in the Poconos for the NASCAR race, and Fox Sports 1 aired about two innings, half way through the game.  I'm not sure what was supposed to be on, because at the top of the hour, soccer came on and the game was gone.  I followed along on mlb.com as it went into extra innings, tied at 1 through the end of 13 innings.  I checked back again a few minutes later, and see it's 7-1 in the middle of the 14, and I'm wondering what the *%^#@ just happened...

59 minutes ago, smittykins said:

And now, Jordan Montgomery needs Tommy John. *sigh*

Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy road. German needs to harness his stuff because he could be a good one-two punch with Severino.  

• Love 1

I think it was around 95. I wasn't watching that closely, but weren't there two guys on base? That being said, Gibbons is sometimes too quick to pull hitters imo. 

I'm pretty sure Estrada would have given up a run at that point anyway. The Jays are just a trainwreck. I think it's about half the players and half poor management. Management more in the sense of the revolving door of players. 

Really glad Yankees made a fuss about the Sunday night game.

I've been watching other baseball for the most part. Sigh.

(edited)

On this date in 1963 the Giants lost 3-0 to the Houston Colt 45’s.  (This was newsworthy because it was the first Sunday Night Baseball game in history, because they couldn’t play during the day due to excessive heat)

How did I never know there was a team in baseball named after a pistol, as recently as 55 years ago?!?  Fascinating. Did this team become the Astros?

Edited by mojoween

Geez, I'm so nervous about the Baseball Player Wrecking Machine that is Citifield.  First Judge hurts his paw, Tanaka yanks the crap out of both hammies, and that’s just what we know about, and it’s only game one! I'll be over here, chewing my nails like an old typewriter carriage.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, mojoween said:

On this date in 1963 the Giants lost 3-0 to the Houston Colt 45’s.  (This was newsworthy because it was the first Sunday Night Baseball game in history, because they couldn’t play during the day due to excessive heat)

How did I never know there was a team in baseball named after a pistol, as recently as 55 years ago?!?  Fascinating. Did this team become the Astros?

Yes, the original expansion team name was the Colt .45s. When they built the Astrodome and it opened in '65, the name was changed to the Astros. They still sell merchandise with the old logo. My dad has a hat.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Yes, the original expansion team name was the Colt .45s. When they built the Astrodome and it opened in '65, the name was changed to the Astros. They still sell merchandise with the old logo. My dad has a hat.

Wasn’t there some flack a few years ago about the gun when the Astros wanted to use the throwback uni?

5 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Wasn’t there some flack a few years ago about the gun when the Astros wanted to use the throwback uni?

I think so, although I didn't really hear much about the throwback uni issue. 

I'm pretty sure back in 2013, when the Astros moved to the American League, that they were entertaining the idea of going back to the original name but with guns being such a hot issue, they ended up just reverting to a previous logo/color scheme.

(edited)

“And the bases are loaded for Aaron Judge.” “What is ‘Shit no Mets fan ever wants to hear’?”

He grounded out to end the inning. Mets still up, but I don’t want to know how many bandwagon hoppers Yankees fans are in attendance.

ETA: The Yankees tied the game. Why wouldn’t they? ?

ETA2: And Judge homered. I think the Mets fans are outnumbered . . . but given the lack of a crap the team is giving, I can’t blame the diehards for staying home. The mediocrity is bad enough without Yankees fans (wearing jerseys with names on the back like all the best rooters) giving them shit.

Edited by Lantern7

I can’t believe Aaron Judge hit a HR last night and the FOX broadcast didn’t then spend 17 minutes discussing its exit velo and launch angle.  They’re slipping, don’t they know EVERYONE is on the edge of their seats waiting for those stats to come out?

(in case it doesn’t come across, the eyeroll in that last sentence is implied)

• Love 6

Question about the Yankees Mets Subway Series. Is there any sort of trophy for the winner of this local rivalry, or is it pretty much just bragging rights? I ask because we have the Silver Boot Series for the Astros Rangers series with a trophy that goes back and forth to whoever wins it that year.

(edited)

I saw a pic online yesterday of Yogi Berra and ... someone ... from the Mets and it indicated there was some sort of trophy involved back in the 60’s.  I’ll try to dig it up.

Found it!

I didn’t find confirmation if that’s still a thing, though.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I saw a pic online yesterday of Yogi Berra and ... someone ... from the Mets and it indicated there was some sort of trophy involved back in the 60’s.  I’ll try to dig it up.

Found it!

I didn’t find confirmation if that’s still a thing, though.

Yeah, I looked on Wikipedia, the page didn't say anything about a trophy. Ditto for the Freeway Series and the Crosstown Series. So apparently not. I guess the Astros Rangers Silver Boot Series is the only one that vies for a trophy.

Well, with the four game sweep of the Rangers, the Astros have already won the Silver Boot trophy for the year (there are still nine games left to play each other). Viva la Boot!

800px-2014_Silver_Boot_Trophy.JPG

• Love 2

Whatever poor souls had the job of holding the ESPN booth crew's umbrellas have my sympathy. Geez, network: you can't spring for a picnic-table umbrella set up?  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

There's also the Bay Bridge series/Battle of the Bay. No trophies, just the hope that there won't be an earthquake during any of the games.

There is a trophy now! 

I'm gonna be right pissed if Brandon Crawford doesn't start the All-Star game. When are we getting updates on how the voting is going! 

• Love 1

Huh, what do you know! I can't believe I hadn't heard of it.

If BCraw doesn't start the All-Star game, heads will roll. He is on fire!!! I joked yesterday that the HR he hit off Scherzer yesterday was in response to him losing the votes for best moment to Belt hitting the HR in the 18th inning in 2014. Hoping his wife will decide he doesn't need to go on paternity leave, as she's about to pop out their 4th kid any minute. We need him more! :P

Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 2.10.22 PM.png

40 minutes ago, rippleintime17 said:

There is a trophy now! 

I'm gonna be right pissed if Brandon Crawford doesn't start the All-Star game. When are we getting updates on how the voting is going! 

Neat about the trophy. The tiebreaker rule is different, the Silver Boot gets awarded to the team that had the most runs if there’s a tie. Which they don’t have anymore now that they’re in the same league. There’s always an odd number of games.

I saw an update JUST NOW, weirdly enough. 

8D3340DC-9E5F-4881-AFAA-2FBF5195E278.thumb.jpeg.d7113db313c77f8f836ee453ce161b7a.jpeg

• Love 1
(edited)

In unrelated news, the News wondered if the Mets should get something for their guys before they fall apart, and they had deGrom and Thor in the Yankee unis. If that were to happen . . . trade with the AL West. Or Japan. One of those places.

ETA: Scroll down to “Mets fans: Get Used To It.” Could that be considered “hate speech”? I’m numb to the Mets’ woes, but I want to punch that asshole.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

The organist at Dodger Stadium tonight is amusing the hell out of me. I'm pretty sure a little while ago they started playing the dungeon music from the Legend of Zelda before promptly switching to the standard Let's Go Dodgers  sequence. Anyone who watches more Dodgers games than I do know if this is a common thing? They do a couple bars of something random before switching to the Let's Go Blah Blah? They've done it with other things tonight too, but the dungeon bit made me do a double-take. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, theatremouse said:

The organist at Dodger Stadium tonight is amusing the hell out of me. I'm pretty sure a little while ago they started playing the dungeon music from the Legend of Zelda before promptly switching to the standard Let's Go Dodgers  sequence. Anyone who watches more Dodgers games than I do know if this is a common thing? They do a couple bars of something random before switching to the Let's Go Blah Blah? They've done it with other things tonight too, but the dungeon bit made me do a double-take. 

Yeah, they do! They do the Harry Potter theme sometimes also. I really, really don't like the Dodgers but I'd really enjoy their organist/AB songs (their players have good picks) if it wasn't so LOUD. It's even too loud through the broadcasts! 

I have to mute dodgers/giants games at dodgers stadium because it's just too damn freaking loud there. But not in a good way. In a, "hey, maybe the louder we play our sound effects, the less it'll be obvious that the fans think every pop-up is a homer and that they either haven't shown up yet or they've left early."

Add in the beach balls and the wave, and games at dodgers stadium are almost right up there with Braves games as the most obnoxious to listen to. That tomahawk chop still "wins" as most obnoxious, outdated and loud shit that needs to go.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I have to mute dodgers/giants games at dodgers stadium because it's just too damn freaking loud there. But not in a good way. In a, "hey, maybe the louder we play our sound effects, the less it'll be obvious that the fans think every pop-up is a homer and that they either haven't shown up yet or they've left early."

Add in the beach balls and the wave, and games at dodgers stadium are almost right up there with Braves games as the most obnoxious to listen to. That tomahawk chop still "wins" as most obnoxious, outdated and loud shit that needs to go.

Never listened to an Oakland home game, with that incessant drumming, have you?

• Love 2