Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, mojoween said:

So from August 25-27 apparently MLB is going to allow players to put nicknames on their jerseys and please tell me the Yankees are not going to be part of this.  

I know it's fun and probably a moneymaker blat blat blat but I don't care.  Don't mess with the pinstripes.

Personally, I think every Yankee should put the emoji that Didi uses for each of them on their uniforms. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Usually, the best clue you get is what their walk-on song is.

If I had a walk up song it would be the intro to Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir."  It's also my ring tone.

My father emailed the below to me this morning.  I don't think you necessarily need to be a Yankees fan, since I'm certainly not, to appreciate it. (and for the record my dad would have been 10 years old in 1950)

I became a Yankee fan in 1950, when I saw my first game at Yankee Stadium.  Mr. DiMaggio hit a homer that day.   I have been a fan ever since.

Yankee mythology and lore continued to grow.  From that day until 1964, Mantle, Berra, Ford led the regal parade.  A brief moment in the late 1970’s with Reggie.  Then 1996 through 2009 came the Core Four years championed by Jeter.

After 2009, mediocrity overwhelmed the Yankees.  Floundering, boring, lacking Yankee spark, and certainly no legendary anything.  But, just a moment now.  Is 2017 a sign that “4 o’clock thunder”* is back?  Is the storied greatness of the past returning?!  Just maybe the Yankee ghosts  have returned.  

(*an expression from my childhood)

Playing against the Yankees was never a sure win.  Having a lead was never secure when battling the Yanks. It seemed that the Yanks could always pull off a win late in the afternoon with that last minute homer.   4 o’clock thunder.

Bottom of the ninth.   Boston is leading 4-2.   Richardson singles up the middle, Berra is walked on 7 pitches.  Two on and two out.  Mick hits a “Balantine Blast” deep into the third deck in right.  Game over.

One year the Yanks' opening day was against the Browns.  Yanks win by a ton.  My father comes home from work.   I meet him at the front door excited about the Yankee opening day victory.  My father, a Dodger fan, says big deal..  of course, they would win.  The question he poses is not if they won today, but rather who they will beat in the World Series.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

If I had a walk up song it would be the intro to Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir."  It's also my ring tone.

Heh, I guess if you choose music as your ringtone, that IS your walk-on song. Mine is the Fringe theme song.

For a lot of the Astros players, their walk-on song is something Spanish-language, so I don't usually recognize it. Rookie Derek Fisher debuted last night with Bush's Machinehead as his song, which made me love him. Also, he hit a home run and an RBI single in one inning, so that helped too.

• Love 1

I'm the otaku that wants Japanese-born closers to come out to J-pop music. And after getting the save? "Ride On Shooting Star" by The Pillows (FLCL) or "Roundabout" by Yes (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure).

19 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm the otaku that wants Japanese-born closers to come out to J-pop music. And after getting the save? "Ride On Shooting Star" by The Pillows (FLCL) or "Roundabout" by Yes (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure).

For Japanese songs, I'd probably go with "Tank!", Cowboy Bebop or "God Knows", Haruhi Suzumiya.

Truth is, I'd probably be changing my music every week. To much good stuff out there.

4 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Truth is, I'd probably be changing my music every week. To much good stuff out there.

Some do. As I've gone to (almost) every single Astros home game this year, I've noticed that some change it often -- and some always have the same. Evan Gattis has the same song this year that he had last year, he never changes it.

Kind of sadly, I've now memorized the shell game they play on the viewscreen between the third and fourth inning. There's only a few different variations and I'm able to figure out which baseball is under which can before the video even finishes.

• Love 2

Apparently on June 15, 2012 I suffered some sort of head injury because I posted this on Facebook:

Not that anyone cares but I've decided a NL perfecto is way better than an AL one because the pitcher bats.

This is my deep thought for the day.

• Love 3
(edited)
12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Apparently on June 15, 2012 I suffered some sort of head injury because I posted this on Facebook:

This is true (the NL vs. AL, not that you have a head injury!)! I'll never forget Tim Lincecum's second no-hitter, where he was a few years into being bad. Not only did he not allow any hits, but he also got two himself! In Chris Heston's no-hitter, he also got two hits and TOOTBLAN'd to end a late inning. In the dugout, he went to apologize to the guy who was going to score if he hadn't and that guy was like "what are you doing talking to me?! You can't talk to me right now!" 

Edited by rippleintime17
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, mojoween said:

So from August 25-27 apparently MLB is going to allow players to put nicknames on their jerseys and please tell me the Yankees are not going to be part of this.

I'm sort of assuming they won't participate since they don't usually put names on their jerseys at all. The whole thing is "instead of requiring your real name, do blah" but if there wouldn't be any name, then it's a nonstarter.

I acknowledge now the possibility that I am being incredibly naive with the above.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:42 AM, shoregirl said:

The Phillies extended their netting to the end of the dugouts before this season started. 

http://m.phillies.mlb.com/news/article/213015020/phillies-adding-more-protective-netting/

So did the Astros. But it looks like this additional Mets netting goes almost to the foul poles. Kind of overkill. I mean, if you're gonna sit that close, I think the obligation to pay attention should be implied. Don't play Tetris (or whatever game people are obsessively playing these days).

• Love 2
15 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I'm sort of assuming they won't participate since they don't usually put names on their jerseys at all. The whole thing is "instead of requiring your real name, do blah" but if there wouldn't be any name, then it's a nonstarter.

I acknowledge now the possibility that I am being incredibly naive with the above.

It would make sense, since the Yankees aren't super into their players having much personality at all. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, rippleintime17 said:

It would make sense, since the Yankees aren't super into their players having much personality at all. 

I wish there was a 'ha ha' option like on FB as I would have chosen that for your post.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

It has served the organization quite well in the last 15-20 years, thank you.

• Love 1

I like the irony presented by the Mets . . . the players get hurt all the time, but they want to protect their fans.

Going to Citi Field is affordable for me . . . instead of driving and paying a shitload of money for parking, I'd use my Metrocard: $2.75 to get from Staten Island to Flushing by local rail, ferry and trains; $6.50 for the express bus (where I can nap). But then I have the ticket and the food to think about. Also, the possibility that I might go to the game where the trainer treats an injured Met with a shotgun. It's only a matter of time.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Also, the possibility that I might go to the game where the trainer treats an injured Met with a shotgun. It's only a matter of time.

At the rate they are going, you just may be right.

• Love 1

It's never fun to win against a team that's injury prone and all the good players are mostly gone.

Ok fine, I'm enjoying the Nationals winning against the Mets, but I do feel bad that there are a lot of injuries.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

Six game winning streak, I wear my Aaron Judge t-shirt and now it's a four game skid.  What the balls.

Lose the shirt for now, but I ain't scared of this losing streak. We will see how they deal with adversity. Hopefully Chapman's return will straighten out the BP although you would think that good professional baseball pitchers could pitch well in any situation.

Ha!  You would think.

The first day I wore it he hit his first grand slam so I thought I had fixed my bad mojo but I guess that was a blip.  I think they need to just get the hell out of California.

I figure that pretty much every game on the coast was a game they should have won. They battled back in all of them but the pen let them down. It's just baseball. Is it Pineda pitching today? It seems when one pitcher goes south the rest follow suit so if Big Mike or whomever pitches great andn they win then we can get on another winning roll.

In yesterday's game against the Yankees, Khris Davis struck out four times.  But that wasn't the worst part of his at bats.  In the third inning, he hit a high popup that dropped in fair territory between the catcher and the third baseman, and was out when the catcher picked it up and threw it to first, because Davis had never bothered to leave the batter's box.

7 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

In yesterday's game against the Yankees, Khris Davis struck out four times.  But that wasn't the worst part of his at bats.  In the third inning, he hit a high popup that dropped in fair territory between the catcher and the third baseman, and was out when the catcher picked it up and threw it to first, because Davis had never bothered to leave the batter's box.

Holy crap. That's like DFA worthy screw up. 

Just now, MVFrostsMyPie said:

It's not that hard to find ways to win against this year's Giants.... 

Ha! If only the Rockies could play this year's Giants 162 times, but alas we have had to find a way to win against teams not named the Giants :) . Tough sledding ahead with Dback and Dodgers. Should be fun though!

22 hours ago, mojoween said:

Six game winning streak, I wear my Aaron Judge t-shirt and now it's a four game skid.

During the local minor league hockey team's run through the playoffs I wore the same t-shirt (Chicago Cubs, purchased during a layover in O'Hare last year in the middle of the World Series) under my jersey three games in a row because I was wearing said shirt under the jersey the night we clinched a playoff spot.  It worked for one game and then it just started to smell.  The t-shirt and the team.

Just now, jennifer6973 said:

I saw that on MLB Network.  That was cool, except for the part where he was hit on the eyebrow by Charlie Blackmon's helmet.

Poor Nolan.  Chuck was too excited! LOL.

Just now, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Oh no, not his eyebrow!

It wasn't just his eyebrow. LOL he had a gash in his actual browbone. He was bleeding rather profusely. Blood on his jersey. Etc.

I was going to ask what the deal was with all the light blue, but ESPN just spelled it put. It's a Father's Day thing, and everybody knows that's the opposite of pink.

For Mets fans brave enough to watch the team . . . is it me, or do those guys always give up runs in the first inning? I napped a lot today, so i missed deGrom hitting us first homer. Could have sworn he did that already. Sportscenter pointed out that the Mets have won every game when their starting pitcher hit a homer, going back to 1996.

Went to the game today.  Os scored 8 and barely held on...but they did.  And, I didn't melt, although that was touch and go for a while.  And it's only June.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

For Mets fans brave enough to watch the team . . . is it me, or do those guys always give up runs in the first inning?

Yes, it's been a major issue this season, especially Gsellman and Harvey. DeGrom and Wheeler slightly less so, but I'm saying that from memory.

• Love 1
On 6/16/2017 at 5:34 PM, prican58 said:

It has served the organization quite well in the last 15-20 years, thank you.

Has it? Teams that allow their players to express themselves a little more have also been successful, the Yankees (who I like!) want to be "classy" so they can say they are. They don't win more games because Matt Holliday has no body hair whatsoever. 

• Love 1