Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

He's not, I said he gets a DH -- i.e. he doesn't have to bat.

Which stinks - watching Colon bat is worth the price of admission on its own!

• Love 2

@kariyaki Thank you.  I am an idiot.  I read "he gets a DH" to somehow mean Colon is going to be the DH, which is obviously ridiculous.  It's been such a long week already and my reading comprehension is suffering.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure the Mets will sweep us too.

(I say that in hopes of jinxing it and the Giants will somehow remember they a major league team and show up to play.)

If they even get to the Mets stadium.... their bus broke down last night on the way to the airport. And MadBum wasn't even there to fix it like the last time their bus broke down.

Is it 2018 yet?!

Bright side for the Mets . . . the Giants' farm system is crap (I forget who posted that on the Minors thread), so the team can look at potential replacement parts that could be had for mid-level prospects.

4 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Bright side for the Mets . . . the Giants' farm system is crap (I forget who posted that on the Minors thread), so the team can look at potential replacement parts that could be had for mid-level prospects.

It was me, sobbing into my morning newspaper.

• Love 1

@Silver Raven . . . as a fan of a star-crossed team, I feel your pain. But the Giants won three titles in the span of five years, after going over a half-century in San Francisco without one. Mets fans have waited three decades for a title. The team isn't on par with the formerly hexed franchises, but it gets irritating when parts start flying off, and the Yankees start surging into people's minds for the right reasons.

(edited)

mojo, YES just did a thing on Jeter's dive into the stands vs Boston. I cannot believe that was 13 years ago!

Hiro needs to be lights out because I think the extra innings are going to take effect. And even moreso tomorrow. In fact the Yanks will probably feel it more on Tues.

Reds fans, tell about this, this Joey Votto person. 

BTW, mojo, the Gary vid is funny but now I am officially in love with Adam Warren. He does a great job. El es Gary. Too funny.

Edited by prican58
  • Love 1

Adam was definitely the best part of the whole thing.

It's interesting with those upthread who are sad at their team's fortunes because it reminds me that I am constantly getting yelled at when I say things like "Ugh I wish people would stop saying Duke wins all of the time, they haven't won since 2010 (this was before 2015)" or "OMG the Yankees have not won the Series since 2009 for cod's sack" and then I get snidely reminded how many rings they have and perhaps I should shut my face.

I apologize for bringing the subject back up again, but I just stumbled across this video of the Bleacher Creatures' roll call from last Wednesday, and they chant Adam Jones's name in solidarity.  Very classy, IMHO

It seems that it's absolutely impossible for the Giants to win a game. They couldn't win a game even if the win slapped them in the face and then tried to cling on for dear life. Only a few more months until 2018!

The Giants have some guys on their roster that have some trade value right? It's probably time for that. The Phillies did over the last few years and even then it was probably  too long but they have a pretty good farm system now and the future us looking pretty good for them in the next year or so. A few good trades and a farm system can start replenishing itself relatively quickly. 

(edited)

Sure but that's true about any marquee players and fans of their teams .I know that was true about the Phillies players from the 07-11 era.  But if you can get something of value for someone you have to do it that's how the Giants even got Hunter Pence from the Phillies (and how the Phillies got Pence from the Astros) .  Maybe don't even trade Pence and Posey but some of the other guys.  I guess it really depends on if this is just an off year and next year they'll be good or if their window is closing and it's time to rebuild.

Edited by shoregirl
9 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

It seems that it's absolutely impossible for the Giants to win a game. They couldn't win a game even if the win slapped them in the face and then tried to cling on for dear life. Only a few more months until 2018!

I'm not sure if the Braves have yet to win a game in the month of May.  When they tied the game on Sunday and went into extra innings (a mere 14 in comparison to that other extra innings game on Sunday) I knew they'd find a way to lose, and they did.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I'm not sure if the Braves have yet to win a game in the month of May.  When they tied the game on Sunday and went into extra innings (a mere 14 in comparison to that other extra innings game on Sunday) I knew they'd find a way to lose, and they did.

And today the Braves play the Astros.

At least one newspaper in New York is suggesting the Mets deal Matt Harvey. Too soon? I mean, even if he is damaged goods, the Mets would have to get a lot for him, at least for the sake of appearances. I'd hate to think of the Dark Knight winning 100 games in 4-5 seasons for another team, while New York basically gets Jim Fergosi again.

Read that the Yankees won a laugher over the Reds after their 18-inning ordeal. Turned to the stats section, found that the Cubs/Rockies game in Denver was postponed. First thought: "Wow, prayer does work!" Second thought: "Maybe the Cubs messed with the sprinkler system."

47 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Turned to the stats section, found that the Cubs/Rockies game in Denver was postponed. First thought: "Wow, prayer does work!" Second thought: "Maybe the Cubs messed with the sprinkler system."

You didn't stick around long enough to hear about WHY it was postponed. Not rain. Hail.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Ryan Howard has been released from his minor league contract with the Braves' Triple A team in Gwinnett.  I wonder if he's done, or if he can find a job somewhere else.  Maybe Japan?

I think he's probably done, but he probably will continue trying to get some other deal for at least the rest of this season. I don't think he'll admit he's done until fall at the earliest.

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

At least one newspaper in New York is suggesting the Mets deal Matt Harvey. Too soon?

There were suggestions they trade him before his TOS diagnosis, I think right after he had one good start (implying he was back on track). So I'm not shocked to see it now. The problem is he's been terrible recently, and was terrible before his last surgery, so I don't think they'd get the haul for him they'd want, unless he pitches a couple of gems in a row and makes himself seem "back". Plus at a certain point, if a person has a bad attitude or is a bad teammate or a bad influence, even if they're amazing it may be better for the team as a whole to move on. 

• Love 1
On 5/8/2017 at 6:59 PM, prican58 said:

mojo, YES just did a thing on Jeter's dive into the stands vs Boston. I cannot believe that was 13 years ago!

Hiro needs to be lights out because I think the extra innings are going to take effect. And even moreso tomorrow. In fact the Yanks will probably feel it more on Tues.

Reds fans, tell about this, this Joey Votto person. 

BTW, mojo, the Gary vid is funny but now I am officially in love with Adam Warren. He does a great job. El es Gary. Too funny.

He's Canadian, he likes to wear his Uniform European Style (I think the pants are tighter), he can be a bit persnickety at times.  He likes to troll opposing team fans. I also think he is quite handsome.

Even if the Giants win a game anytime soon I would think it's a fluke. If they won more than 2 in a row, it would be miraculous. Now our expensive AF closer is on the DL too. Not that we've been really needing him for the save anyway. 

37 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Even if the Giants win a game anytime soon I would think it's a fluke. If they won more than 2 in a row, it would be miraculous. Now our expensive AF closer is on the DL too. Not that we've been really needing him for the save anyway. 

Sob.

Deadspin is reporting that Matt Harvey missed that game because he was out drinking till 4 AM after seeing reports of his ex, Adriana Lima, out with her ex, Julian Edelman.

http://deadspin.com/page-six-matt-harvey-missed-game-because-he-was-sad-ab-1795073956?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

The allegation seems strange, but the big jump in the settlement offers (40,000 to 150,000) makes me wonder what we will hear during discovery.

I read an article stating part of his firing is he's getting severance for one of the two years remaining on his contract. Depending on what he makes annually, that jump might've just been from "initial offer" to "make up the rest of the contract". If that's what they thought he were really after, it could make sense. Or it could be just as suspicious as it looks.

Well, they did have a cover story on the high school Babe Ruth. That counts, right?

Damn, good times for Yankees fans. Judge is becoming the Next Big Thing, Jeter is getting his number retired with ESPN covering it, and parts aren't flying off the bus at an alarming rate.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Well, they did have a cover story on the high school Babe Ruth. That counts, right?

I really enjoyed that story and he sounds like a nice, down to earth kid.  I hope the media lets him be himself and stops comparing him to other athletes as that's a lot for a 17 year old to live up to.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Damn, good times for Yankees fans. Judge is becoming the Next Big Thing, Jeter is getting his number retired with ESPN covering it, and parts aren't flying off the bus at an alarming rate.

As a Giants fan, I resent that last remark.  :(

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I hope the media lets him be himself and stops comparing him to other athletes as that's a lot for a 17 year old to live up to.

Sadly, the media doesn't know how to do anything but that. I lost count of the number of fawning phenom profiles all calling some kid or other The Natural, and them being washed up a year or so later, or worse yet: normal.

Got my copy of Sports Illustrated. Aaron Judge on the cover, and a longer story about the journey of minor leaguer Tim Tebow. Cut to every Mets fans sighing and banging their heads against the wall, knowing damn well that the Yankee boosters at work will never let up about that.

How will the Mets go shopping for replacement parts? Discretely, or full-on commercials starring "Psycho Sandy"?

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

So I suppose now is not a good time to mention that Familia has a blood clot in his shoulder and might have surgery?

I just saw that...when it rains, it pours!

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Got my copy of Sports Illustrated. Aaron Judge on the cover, and a longer story about the journey of minor leaguer Tim Tebow

I got my issue in the mail today as well and almost puked at seeing a Tiny Tebow on the cover.  Why are they (sports media) still trying to make him happen?