Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

From ESPN:

Two people familiar with the situation told ESPN's Jerry Crasnick that Sale was involved in a confrontation with a member of the White Sox front office. One person said the incident was over "something silly" that apparently mushroomed into a bigger argument.

Sale has had run-ins with the White Sox front office in the past, and sources around the team say his relationship with executive vice president Kenny Williams and some members of the front office is strained.

They just explained during the stupid Yankees game that Sale didn't want to wear the throwback because it was uncomfortable so he basically cut it up and made it unwearable.

Baseball sucks.  I am grumpy.

If the throwbacks are made of the wool like they used to be then I would say he was right. But if they are just ugly like the old powder blue Dale Murphy era unis or the wretched Astros orange/yellow then he should just suck it up and wear it. The whole thing is silly. 

• Love 3

They should make Sale wear the old Sox unis with the shorts. Then he'd know what uncomfortable truly is.

None of this would have happened if LaRoche's kid was still around.

• Love 11

If it is the throwbacks the Sox are wearing right now, they appear to be made out of the same fabric as current uniforms.  Some stories make it sound like he cut up his jersey, others sound like he cut up many jerseys.  But unless the Sox had two sets of throwbacks, which seems unlikely, the rest of the team seems to be dealing fine with whatever sent Sale over the edge. Raging case of Special-snowflake-itis?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

If it is the throwbacks the Sox are wearing right now, they appear to be made out of the same fabric as current uniforms.  Some stories make it sound like he cut up his jersey, others sound like he cut up many jerseys.  But unless the Sox had two sets of throwbacks, which seems unlikely, the rest of the team seems to be dealing fine with whatever sent Sale over the edge. Raging case of Special-snowflake-itis?

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I heard they do have 2 sets of throwbacks.  And when the set they were supposed to wear was "damaged", they went to the second set.  This comes from a friend, so I make no claim as to its veracity.

If I, at my place of employment, pulled out a knife and destroyed company property, I would not have been sent home, I would have been sent to jail.

And what the heck did the author of the above-linked article mean that the starting pitchers choose what uniform his team wears?  They either wear home or away or the occasional, but becoming alarming frequent, "special" jersey.  But I figured the team/league decide when they will "celebrate" those special days like Memorial, Jackie Robinson, Negro League, etc.  It's not like Justin Verlander can decide to wear the July 4th unis on May 17.   And they would have to be designed and ordered well before they know who is going to start that day.

• Love 1
(edited)

Acting like a crazy person is not exactly the best strategy to increase your trade value so you can get off a team you so clearly hate.

When I saw the replay of Stanton's home run, I thought "Did he actually do what I think he did?".

ETA Apparently these are the uniforms the Sox were supposed to wear.

1976.jpg

Umm, Sale may have had a point. 

I feel bad for the clubhouse guys. "Hey Chris, what's up?" **rip** "OK, That's good. I think I'll go do some laundry."

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

I was at the Y/Giant 12-inning game. Hotter than balls, but at least there was an occasional breeze. And I don't know what they make those goofy 3-d soda cups out of, but I still had ice in mine after 1 1/2 hours in 95 degree heat. Magic! Made the exorbitant ballpark soda price worth it! (Once, anyway.)

Super fun to watch Didi score from first. Super fun to watch Hicks nail the dude at home. Scored a sweet camo-cap. A 12-inning loss was not, however, super fun.

Reading that piece about Sale, the unis, and the LaRoche kid, and I'm starting to wonder if a meds adjustment is in order....

• Love 1

It surprises me that there are games played during the HOF induction ceremony.  You would think they would either have today off or start all of the afternoon games late for one day.

• Love 2

What? You think the White Sox front office want him on the bench for too long? He could slink back into the clubhouse and cut up other uniforms.

I guess I like "the ace who throws fits like a 5 yr old" because TPTB above can come up with craptastic uniforms from now through the end of time but it's the players who have to wear the shit and I for one am glad he acted out. If you want all your players to be the same corporate guys, well then - that's your choice. 

• Love 1

Acting like a five year old is one thing, pulling out a knife and destroying property because you are angry is never acceptable.  It is justification like that that gives athletes an entitled attitude.  "I'm rich and famous and can do what I want."

• Love 13

In addition, it's not like they designed those uniforms to piss Sale off. 

They did it to sell more jerseys, attract more fans and and get a corporate sponsor for the day. All of that revenue helps pay his salary. Marketing and promotion is part of your job description if you expect to make millions playing a game.

• Love 5

I think the induction should be held when it's a little cooler. You watch the crowd, you can see the melanoma form on their faces. I'm okay with Cooperstown, even though a NJ-based HoF would be way easier to visit. Right now, it's a 4-5 hour ride away, and you have to go by chartered bus so you can nap through upstate New York.

And here I was wondering what would happen if Reyes came up to bat against Chapman In the Subway Series. "Reyes is 2-for-4 with a run scored tonight. And it looks like half the crowd is headed to the exits. It's the ninth inning, the game is tied, but some people can't hide their disgust."

(edited)

I was bummed when Warren was let go so that's cool. There is a price on Miller but apparently too steep for anyone to bite.

At least the Cubs are in the NL so Chapman won't hurt the Yankees in the regular season.

Edited by mojoween

The latest I read was that the Yankees were getting four players in the Chapman deal, including a reliever that had already been a Yankee once before.  Don't know the name.

The Giants have returned home.  Thank Lou.

• Love 1

I think Carlos can only go to the AL because he is an absolute liability in the outfield at this point.  The best bet for the Yankees if they are going to shed him is to send him to a shitty team for an ace pitcher.

2 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

The latest I read was that the Yankees were getting four players in the Chapman deal, including a reliever that had already been a Yankee once before.  Don't know the name.

The Giants have returned home.  Thank Lou.

Yep and the next two series are with the Reds and Nationals, both of which I root for..

Don't mind the Giants so I'm not gonna stress too much about these games

So, his employer asked Sale to do something he didn't agree with, and he threw a tantrum. That's the long and short of it.

I hope he doesn't wind up in NY. I couldn't cheer for his whiny, privileged, clueless ass.

I don't care how uncomfortable those jerseys are, destroying team property is NEVER ok.

I was reading an article that said teams typically don't trade their elite closers if they believe they can contend for a playoff spot and it makes me laugh because the Yankees aren't like other teams.  Miller may not be Chapman, but he is one of the best closers out there.  

• Love 2
(edited)
27 minutes ago, attica said:

Now there'll be a sale on all those No-Run DMC shirts I saw at the stadium....

Yankee front office:  So how do we come up with something with just "DM??"

PS: HA! I know what they should do!!  Make Chapman take all the T-shirts to Chicago and cut them up! 

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1

San Diego is in Toronto playing the Bluejays.  In the middle of the series, they traded BJ Upton to the Bluejays.  The story going around is that he was not able to play for Toronto until he left Canada and came back in, because he entered the country as an employee of an American company and had to leave so he can come back into the country as an employee of a Canadian company.

Hey BJ, how about a field trip to Buffalo?

I believe that I heard this morning the Cubs and Sox are playing this weekend.  Chapman could take those shirts with him and they could have a "Free Scissors Night" promotion.

Come on Theo, I know you have the marketing genius in you.  Think of the possibilities!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rick Kitchen said:

San Diego is in Toronto playing the Bluejays.  In the middle of the series, they traded BJ Upton to the Bluejays.  The story going around is that he was not able to play for Toronto until he left Canada and came back in, because he entered the country as an employee of an American company and had to leave so he can come back into the country as an employee of a Canadian company.

I saw on twitter, that he had to DRIVE to Buffalo to get a work visa and drive back to Toronto.

All I know is that Matt Yallof re-tweeted the tweet.

48 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Sale is starting Thursday's game.  Will it be a Sox home game or a Cubs home game?  How will he be greeted, by either side's fans?

Tonight is the last game at White Sox Field, tomorrow and Thursday they will be at Wrigley.