Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Looks like the O's saved all their runs for game 2.

Indeed.  At least the evening wasn't a total loss.

Tomorrow's game has been moved up to noon so the Jays can get out of town before the deluge.   The weather looks ominous for the weekend.  I just hope I can get to the stadium Sunday to get the last bobblehead of the season before the hurricane hits!

Well if the Yankees are gonna win their 10,000th tonight, they're gonna have to be all Smith Barney about it.

Ooh, as I typed the Sox just took the lead, 6-5 in the 11th.

What is the "last bobblehead of the season" in Bal'more ebk?

Astros down early to Seattle.  With the A's winning over the Angels, I hope the Astros can jump back up tonight.

(ETA: 9-5!  Mookie! don't get all distraught mojoween!)

Edited by King of Birds

7-5.

All the Yanks have to do is freaking win. Everything else that needed to happen for them to clinch happened.

Ugh Red Sox you're not even gooooing to the playoffs. Just looooose already.

NINE. Nine to five.

• Love 1

SportsCenter All Night said that on this date Babe Ruth allegedly called his shot in game three of the World Series and then the anchor wondered which was more surprising - that a player called his shot, or that on October first we were in the middle of the World Series?

• Love 3

Is there something wrong with their old fans or do they just need more of them in general?

I don't think they need more. I went to some of the games at Rogers Centre last week. It was bedlam.

Some of them are jerks though. It happens a lot in Toronto, for all our sports. It's a very bandwagon-ish city. As soon as any team makes the postseason the jerks come out of the woodwork. I apologize on behalf of the nice ones, like me.

Speaking of the Jays, looks like the Jays/O's are getting rained out. It is a mess at Camden Yards.

Edited by Maximum Taco

I don't think they need more. I went to some of the games at Rogers Centre last week. It was bedlam.

Some of them are jerks though. I apologize on behalf of the nice ones, like me.

This is one of the many reasons why I love Canadians, you're all so nice!  In 1996 the ex-husband person and I vacationed in Toronto and we saw two games at SkyDome, one with the roof open and the other with it closed.  I'll never forget how polite the fans were as it was such a departure from the drunken asshattery that seems prevalent at games on this side of the border.

I'm not certain if I'll be up to see the Mets on Sunday. Also, the weather might be bad, and I'll be heading to the city the following weekend for New York Comic Con.

Watching Mets/Phillies now. Kinda wish I could've made that game, because I've never gotten a foul ball before. I know that the game was rescheduled from tonight in anticipation of Hurricane Joaquin, but the park resembles Olympic Stadium in the Expos' final years.

• Love 1

This is one of the many reasons why I love Canadians, you're all so nice!  In 1996 the ex-husband person and I vacationed in Toronto and we saw two games at SkyDome, one with the roof open and the other with it closed.  I'll never forget how polite the fans were as it was such a departure from the drunken asshattery that seems prevalent at games on this side of the border.

I have a couple stories like that, the one I like best was when I went to Fenway Park. This jerk Red Sox 'fan' was swearing up a blue streak at me when I went with my little cousin dressed up in our Blue Jays gear. All the Sox fans around us yelled at him to shut up cause I was with a kid. It was a little surreal being a fan of the away team and having the home crowd on my side. You're alright by me Boston.

Most actual loyal sports fans who go to games during the season (and not just during the postseason/push) are very nice and I've found it's true in most places. Go to a sparsely attended game anywhere and most everyone will be really nice.

The playoffs are fun, but it brings the asshats out too.

Edited by Maximum Taco

So true.  The Loyal fans are very nice.  I was at Wrigley and one lady offered to take our picture, all decked out in our Dodger gear and then pointed us to some hidden gems at the stadium.  Really nice folks there.

• Love 2

Good Giant Jeremy Affeldt announced his retirement today. He's been with the Giants for the past seven years and absolutely crucial to their postseason success, pitching 22 consecutive scoreless innings in October. He got the win for last year's World Series Game 7 and his three rings for his three boys. Not often you see a bullpen hang around and be as consistent as the Giants have had these past six seasons and he's the first of their "Core Four" (they really do call it that!) to go. He's a great guy to boot and he will certainly be missed.

• Love 1

^^  A Yankee bottle opener instead of a Mets? Well, that's heresy.  I expect the lawsuit will be in the millions.

Hey look mojoween-  the Sox are sitting Ortiz AND Pedroia, and playing Sandy Leon, Allen Craig and Josh Rutledge. It's like they're saying "Okay Yankees, here, we'll throw you another bone since you can't beat Mookie straight up."

Yay for double headers and day baseball, the way it still should be played!  I'm happy to see the Pirates took game one against the Cards.

Good luck to your Jays!

Then the Cardinals beat the Pirates in game two and clinched the division.

• Love 1

Finally! God.

Michael Kay said that the Yanks are the first team in the AL with 10,000 wins. Is there a team in the NL that has that many?

Also their 52nd postseason trip, first in the majors. The Dodgers are second with...28.

Sorry ekb but we need to go in hot so we need to win this weekend.

Edited by mojoween

Finally! God.

Michael Kay said that the Yanks are the first team in the AL with 10,000 wins. Is there a team in the NL that has that many?

Also their 52nd postseason trip, first in the majors. The Dodgers are second with...28.

Yeah... we'll see how that works out for you!  

Who am I kidding... it will work out great...  sigh. :-)

I just hope we don't all drown.

Finally! God.

Lots.

According to baseball-reference.com

The Giants have 10,863 wins

The Cubs have 10,604 wins

The Dodgers have 10,577 wins

The Cards have 10,571 wins

The Braves have 10,367 wins

The Reds have 10,320 wins

The Pirates have 10,239 wins

Edited by Maximum Taco

Out of curiosity . . . what would happen if the game I'm slated to see gets rained out and not made up? Would I get my money back, or would I get a voucher for the following season? I tried calling the Mets ticket office, but I did that too late.

Out of curiosity . . . what would happen if the game I'm slated to see gets rained out and not made up? Would I get my money back, or would I get a voucher for the following season? I tried calling the Mets ticket office, but I did that too late.

According to the Mets website, no refunds are given, instead you can exchange that ticket for a same priced or lower priced ticket or apply the cost (face value) of the ticket to a higher priced ticket to any future regular season game at Citi Field within 12 months of the original game date (subject to availability)

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/nym/ballpark/weather.jsp

But I'd expect the game to be rescheduled if it gets rained out. The Mets are tied with the Dodgers so 1 game could very well impact homefield in the NLDS.

Edited by Maximum Taco

Yes! My favorite player of all time. Our kitty is a rescue and the options were Mookie and Jeter and I gave my husband the final call and he said Jeter is not a good name for a cat.

This heathen is quite happy about the playoffs, but is concerned they are going to give up the game at Yankee Stadium because there was a lot of chitchat last night about resting guys this weekend. You have teams nipping at your heels guys! Fight for that home game!

• Love 1

ebk57 is sending me a Silent Cal bobblehead she got at an O's game.  Thank you, you rock!!  I am going to proudly display it at work next to my Matt Joyce (Rays) and Noah Syndergaard (St. Lucie Mets) bobbleheads and will take a picture and post it here.

• Love 3

I'm pretty sure they'll have to play the game eventually. Home field advantage for the first round of the playoffs is at stake. 

Well, tonight's Nationals/Mets game has been postponed due to nasty weather. There's going to be a day/night doubleheader tomorrow. I'm still hoping that Sunday's game will go as scheduled.

ETA: Just hit ESPN.com. Mets' scheduled starter for Sunday is Jacob deGrom. I wonder if that will be the case if home field is wrapped up by then.

Lantern7, I think most eastern seaboard games are going to be double headers. Yanks got the same deal against Baltimore.

Mojoween, nobody hated the '86 Mets more than I did (the last time I ever rooted for the Red Sox and I will admit to liking them in the Yaz/Conigliaro/Petrocelli era and in the 1967 WS.) But I always liked Mookie. How could anyone not like the guy?

Edited by prican58

Williams has got to go. How does one explain such a talented team under achieving so often. If Nat's aren't careful they may have to rename themselves the Expos again and go back to being baseballs supplier of great future major leaguers. players. Can you say Pedro or  Randy Johnson? 

Wasn't Pedro Martinez originally a Dodger?

Also . . . unless the weather screws things up, all fifteen games will be played at the same time on Sunday. I don't think that's been done before,