Type keyword(s) to search

2015 Tryouts and Training Camp Spoilers and Spoiled Speculations

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

I agree. I think if a TCC makes show group, it's rather a given that they'll be on the squad. I mean, there are Vets who try out year after year and don't make it. K/J say they're not on the Squad yet so the girls don't get cocky, but I think they've pretty much made it.

And I didn't think Angela tried out for SG last year either. Isn't being in SG optional? I remember one season where K/J said it was mandatory that everyone to audition for SG, either for dancing or singing. But I think now a Vet can opt-out if their job or something prohibits they're traveling extensively, right?

Sasha Agent opted out of auditioning in season 5 (and 6, I assume too) because of her daughter.

• Love 1
(edited)

You're right. They did. That's why I think Kelli's approach is geared towards drama, whereas Judy's approach is geared towards actually putting together the best team possible.

I would love to see Judy serve as Director of the DCC just once for  a season. I suspect she would put a different team together than the ones that Kelli constructs.

I thought that was explained pretty well last season when Judy told how she and Kelli looked for different things; Kelli, for a diamond in the rough; and Judy, for a polished dancer.
Edited by omega4

You're right. They did. That's why I think Kelli's approach is geared towards drama, whereas Judy's approach is geared towards actually putting together the best team possible.

I would love to see Judy serve as Director of the DCC just once for  a season. I suspect she would put a different team together than the ones that Kelli constructs.

Yeah I recall Judy fighting to keep Liz Reuter on the team that one year and Kelli was adamant that Liz was too heavy. If Judy had the final say, I think Liz would've made it. 

• Love 2

Judy in charge of the final cuts would be VERY interesting.  On the flip side, Ashley Pro would not have even made it to training camp if Judy had the only say last year (and I really was pulling for that young lady!).  She does stay very focused on the dance whereas Kelly has a broader view.  But we would have been spared Morgan a whole lot earlier; Judy would have cut her very early.  

• Love 2

According to Shelbi's Instagram she is going back to Texas Star Dancers

The auditions for the TSD are not until 8/1. Shelbi makes it sound like she's  back on the team.

(edited)

The auditions for the TSD are not until 8/1. Shelbi makes it sound like she's back on the team.

Ugh, Shelbi. "Apart" means you're separated and "a part" means you're included. Sorry, that's one of my pet peeves. But anyway, I wonder why she's not trying out for Ice Girls?

Edited by Bailey3606
  • Love 2

The auditions for the TSD are not until 8/1. Shelbi makes it sound like she's back on the team.

TSD is by audition/ invitation. Mallory didn't audition last year because she was out of town (a few weeks after she got cut)

Ugh, Shelbi. "Apart" means you're separated and "a part" means you're included. Sorry, that's one of my pet peeves. But anyway, I wonder why she's not trying out for Ice Girls?

Or the Texas Legends or the Ice Angels.  The Texas Star Dancers seems like the team to try out for when you haven't made any of the others.

(edited)

I think Judy has a more pragmatic view of what the DCC really are, whereas Kelli wants the DCC to be some sort of altruisitc, intellectual, pinnacle of society (or at least Irving, TX).

Just look at the panel interviews that the finalists have to go through. Over the course of their DCC careers, however brief or long they may be, the ladies will probably never be asked to recite the "Star Spangled Banner" line by line or quizzed about the 3 branches of the US Government.

What they will be asked to do is dance routines at games and on the road, while looking sexy in their wash cloths that are called "uniforms", and perform jump splits to cap off a perfect performance.

I really do hope that Charlotte comes to her senses one day and hands over the reigns to Judy. Then, we'll have the best looking dancers on the DCC squad, not some social experiment on whether a cheerleader can be a scholar, priest, dancer, and swimsuit model all rolled up into one.

Edited by omega4
  • Love 3

I don't remember Kelli saying it was required. Do you know what season that was?

I'm trying to remember, but I don't! It was the year MTT showed they tried out at Gilly's, I think. I might totally be wrong, but I thought Kelli said the girls all needed to try out in either dance or vocal. But maybe it was they were encouraged to try out. I'll have to go back and watch again.

Even though Kelli is the Director, Judy seems to have quite a bit of influence over who makes the squad and who doesn't. I do think they both agree to gamble on some girls; Chelsey (who was a clunky dancer but had a great personality during her first year), Jasmine (another clunky dancer), Ashley Pro, Breelan, others through the years. They also gave a LOT of leeway and time to Alexandra in S9 (whose kicks were pretty bad), and took on MacKenzie even though her kicks weren't in line with the rest of the squad. They both really wanted Rachel on the squad, though ultimately she just couldn't get the DCC style. So I think the squad would be fairly similar to now. :)

• Love 3
(edited)

The sense I get is that while Judy is allowed to voice her opinions, Kelli makes the final decisions and is the one really running the show.

Case in point: One season during the announcement of who gets invited to TC, Kelli looks at Charlotte and calls an audible on Danielle. The two of them single-handedly throw the other judges' votes (including Judy's) out the door and make an arbitrary decision on their own.

If that's not enough proof that Judy's (and the other judges) opinions aren't as influential as you (and Judy) may think they are, then I don't know what is.

And as for "gambling" on some ladies, I still think it's done mainly to add "drama" to a show that is getting stale, much like other shows (e.g. American Idol, Glee, Hells Kitchen, etc.).

Edited by omega4
(edited)

...except those gambles become part of a squad that remains intact long after the cameras of CMT stop rolling and they must live with those decisions. Every season, kelly reminds viewers that she and Charlotte are responsible for the brand...but Judy is still an important part of that trio.

In regards to Danielke, I don't remember Judy saying anything positive or negative about her. Obviously she knew about the injury. I think I just assumed that she was in agreement with that quick decision.

Of course I do think some of the decisions are for some MTT drama, but perhaps not as many as other reality shows.

Edited by English Teacher
  • Love 1

Kelli has said that every judge has an equal vote going into TC. And I do think Judy has a good deal of influence over who makes TC and who doesn't. But that's JMO and we'll probably never know how the squad would be if Judy was Director.  But the Director is a double edged sword. Kelli gets the kudos when the squad does well; she also bears the consequences when the squad doesn't do well. The buck stop with her, and Judy probably doesn't envy her taking the brunt of Charlotte's displeasure should a Breelan-face on the jumbotron happen! lol

• Love 3
(edited)

There needs to be a degree in interpreting inspirational quotes posted to social media... then I could tell you exactly who is cut, when. There's been a few tonight already by tccs.

Edited by RhiRhi
  • Love 4

Kelli has said that every judge has an equal vote going into TC. And I do think Judy has a good deal of influence over who makes TC and who doesn't. But that's JMO and we'll probably never know how the squad would be if Judy was Director. But the Director is a double edged sword. Kelli gets the kudos when the squad does well; she also bears the consequences when the squad doesn't do well. The buck stop with her, and Judy probably doesn't envy her taking the brunt of Charlotte's displeasure should a Breelan-face on the jumbotron happen! lol

I don't think that's true....I think round one and maybe 2 every judge may be equal? But TC every judge does get a vote but it comes down to Kelli, Judy and Charlotte.

I do think there are cuts made that Kelli did not agree with as either in the first 2 hour pilot or the 1st or 2nd season Kelli argued for someone who did a lot of community service but the other judges thought she should not return.  I know she was upset over that cut as she has been over others she liked but were out danced or out powered.  I am in education and we take chances on people, some of who look good but don't work out.  We can never want it more for them than they do for themselves.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think after 10 seasons, DCC:MTT has become formulaic. Each season can be summed up as follows:

Ep 1: Overall tryouts. Much like American Idol, DCC:MTT serves up candidates who have no chance of making the team for our viewing pleasure. A few potentials are highlighted.

Ep 2: Judges deliberate with comments like "I really like her" and "She's got the look" and "She's got a weight issue". Judges go through the ritual of casting votes as if they matter when in reality, only Kelli and Charlotte's thoughts are the ones that count (sorry Judy, you're just a choreographer). And no episode would be complete without the annual ritual known as "Character assassination by Kitty Carter".

Ep 3 - Ep 9: TCC are put through the ringer. A few TCC who have no chance at all of making the DCC are strung along for entertainment and adding "drama" to the show. One veteran may be cut if not enough drama surfaces. A random showing of "Body by Jay" or questionable advice by a nutritionist  or "bad case of toxic attitude by a TCC" may be served up again if not enough drama surfaces during the season.

Ep 10: The TCCs that survived the performance cuts and "drama cuts" are informed that they've made the team in an unusual way in further efforts to create drama where none may exist.

Ep 11: The newly minted DCCs are now shown performing and are suddenly, magically "perfect". Of course they're perfect. They're DCCs. At least until next season's show, when some DCCs will magically fall from grace and the cycle repeats itself.

See you next season!

Edited by omega4
  • Love 3
(edited)

I would imagine there's gonna be 1-2 cuts tonight.  I got the impression that everyone gets one free night on the field, but by second night, they expect things to start looking pretty good or you're out.

Edited by Smplsimon

Relating to voting power, I've always been bothered by the Danielle reversal.  Don't get me wrong, she's my favorite DCC, and they were right to keep her.  But if I were a judge who voted (apparently along with enough other judges) to keep her out, I'd be pissed that Kelli and Charlotte can just reverse that at their whim.  If that's the case, why even let the judges vote at all -- just have them give feedback and then Kelli and Charlotte pick whoever they choose.

• Love 1

I guess I am not as knowledgeable on this show as y'all...I really never got the impression that the judges beside Kelli/Judy/Charlotte had that much power. Kelli says many times that they like extra eyes to help them see things they may overlook (like how they bring judges back sometimes part way through the season to view the candidates practicing) but it doesn't seem to be a secret that the trifecta overrules if they feel necessary, even if it's on a whim.  And I don't think the judges care because Kelli has shown great judgment over the years.

And I disagree that Judy doesn't get much say.  I just watched an episode of the cameos and Kelli mentioned how great it is when she and Judy agree but how tension is high when they don't...I guess I took that to mean Kelli doesn't just poo-poo Judy's opinion but respects it enough to give it weight even if she doesn't agree. And I'm sure there are times when Judy gets to say ha ha I told you so and Kelli can agree and not bring someone back (Ashley Pro, for instance). And don't forget the whole Liz Reuter deal, where Liz freaked out when they cut her like, "you should never even have brought me here!" and Judy openly said, "well I apologize then for my judgment, I've been fighting for you this whole time" etc. Personally, I think J&K balance each other well and make a good team.

I guess Charlotte is the one that frustrates me sometimes because she isn't there for practices and whatnot.  She watches the girls at games and during the season and seems to give K&J her feedback on who she liked or maybe vets that should be encouraged not to reaudition (i.e. she was clearly not a fan of Ann Lux and basically said in her second interview that she had a personality that didn't come across like she was enjoying herself, etc.)  But on the flip side, her position in the whole organization makes her someone you HAVE to listen to.

Anyway, just my thoughts after jumping into this show over the past six months LOL 

And LOL to RhiRhi about deciphering inspirational quotes...!! so true!!

• Love 5

IMO, Charlotte takes after her father, Jerry Jones (owner of the DC). They both have the power to do as they please and aren't afraid to meddle whenever they see fit to do so.

At the start and end of each judge deliberation round, Kelli espouses how important the judges are to the selection process and how their votes really matter.

Then, Kelli and Charlotte call an audible on Danielle (and others I am sure that never get shown on camera) and effectively negate their previous comments on how valuable the other judges' opinions are.

Then there was that one time in the office when Kelli throws Judy under the bus by putting Judy on the spot about reconsidering their agreed-upon decision to release a TCC. Kelli turns to Judy and says that she (Kelli) as changed her mind but she'll leave it up to her (Judy) to decide. After that issue was resolved, Judy told Kelli not to ever put her on the spot like that again.

If I were ever invited to serve as a "guest judge" on DCC:MTT, I'd tell Kelli thanks but no thanks. I've got a lot better things to do with my time. For example, I need to get a manicure.

I don't think that was throwing Judy under the bus...I think that shows Kelli does indeed have a heart and in the moment felt sympathy for the girl and took a pause.  She even apologized to Judy afterwards. 

I guess I'm just not sure why you even watch the show? I appreciate all points of view and you certainly don't have to enjoy it :), but as you said...better things to do with your time maybe then get frustrated over a reality show.  I'd rather TV never tries to have a reality show about women fighting for social rights issues or something because you know they'd have to manipulate or add drama or make inaccurate edits to have it be 'exciting' enough for TV.  I'd prefer they stick with something 'silly' like a cheerleading squad because in the scheme or things, it's just entertainment. 

Just my two cents :)

I feel like I learn something new about Kat each day haha.

Randomly came across this page on the "explore" page on instagram. Kat is a dog walker! So cute! As if I could love her any more

http://instagram.com/katluvsdogs89

Aww!! Wonder if that'll have to be the main job she keeps once DCC starts picking up LOL  Assuming she makes it which I cant imagine her not.

I would imagine there's gonna be 1-2 cuts tonight.  I got the impression that everyone gets one free night on the field, but by second night, they expect things to start looking pretty good or you're out.

Oh definitely...there is always one girl who can't hit the yard lines or has noodle arms or forgets to count lol  It'd be cool if they had a bigger squad though again!

• Love 3

The fact that Kelli deemed it necessary to apologize to Judy for her actions only confirms that Judy was "thrown under the bus". Not sure if you work in a corporate environment but you never backtrack on a group decision in front of a client (or in this case a TCC). You present a unified front and deliver your message.

Maybe what happened was drama, maybe it wasn't. In any event, I think it showed poor professionalism on Kelli's part, which is even more surprising given how much she harps on the DCCs being such a professional organization (which it probably is for the most part).

Why does critiquing a show necessarily mean that one doesn't enjoy it? By that line of reasoning, do you suspect that Kitty Carter doesn't enjoy "molding ladies for success"? Yes???!!!! (again said in a Kitty Carter-esque style).

(edited)

It seems like you really do not like Kitty Carter... You seem to bring her up a lot when what you're talking about has nothing to do with her whatsoever.

Edited by Bailey3606
  • Love 2
(edited)

The fact that Kelli deemed it necessary to apologize to Judy for her actions only confirms that Judy was "thrown under the bus". Not sure if you work in a corporate environment but you never backtrack on a group decision in front of a client (or in this case a TCC). You present a unified front and deliver your message.

Maybe what happened was drama, maybe it wasn't. In any event, I think it showed poor professionalism on Kelli's part, which is even more surprising given how much she harps on the DCCs being such a professional organization (which it probably is for the most part).

Why does critiquing a show necessarily mean that one doesn't enjoy it? By that line of reasoning, do you suspect that Kitty Carter doesn't enjoy "molding ladies for success"? Yes???!!!! (again said in a Kitty Carter-esque style).

Good point!  Maybe you and Kitty are more alike than you thought :)

ETA: I apologize if it seems like I'm attacking you or anything. I do think you have a lot of thoughtful, valid points. 

Edited by LaurenBrook
  • Love 1

What I like about Kitty is her forthrightness and honesty. Why I don't like about Kitty is her abraisiveness and teaching approach (based on what we're shown onscreen).

I think you can teach others in an honest, direct manner without being abrasive and condescending (e.g. when she told Vivian that she "blew it" 2 seasons in a row with the solos that she'd picked).

(edited)

I don't think that's true....I think round one and maybe 2 every judge may be equal? But TC every judge does get a vote but it comes down to Kelli, Judy and Charlotte.

The judges aren't at TC. There are several steps to make the squad. While Kelli is solely responsible for who makes the squad and how they do, as Director, she doesn't make those choices alone. The judges help choose who gets to TC, and Kelli stated that everyone judging during the auditions has an equal vote. They tally them up and let the cards fall where they may. They do discuss the candidates way more than we see, and I'm sure K/J voice their opinions and push for candidates they think will be good TCC.  Once in TC it's a combination of Kelli's input, Judy's, Kitty's as well as group leaders. We've only seen a couple instances in which K/J consult group leaders on a candidate, but that's enough to know that it happens a lot more than we see. 95% of what happens in TC we don't see. So while Kelli is the Director and ultimately responsible for the squad and how it performs, its a group effort on who makes the squad.  I do believe that in a pinch, if there's a fence candidate, then its up to Kelli whether that person makes it or doesn't. :)

Edited by Kaedee
(edited)

I think Kitty is awful and clearly just trying tobe another Simon Cowell. She obviously has a good eye, but she's needlessly (and narcissistically) cruel. Great example: Last season, when she asked Ashely Pro in front of the whole squad why she thought she got cut the previous season. Ashley answered and Kitty cuts her off with "No, you were on the plank, and I pushed you off!" Meaning she told Kelli and Judy to cut her. How the hell is that constructive?

Also, I hate Chelsea, but I thought it was so immature the way Kitty runs to Kelli and Judy to tattle on her. Barf.

Edited by Smplsimon
  • Love 1

TSD is by audition/ invitation. Mallory didn't audition last year because she was out of town (a few weeks after she got cut)

Mallory maybe didn't audition but she did make it back on the TSD for her 2nd season.

I do hope that Kitty Carter's abrasiveness is just an act put on for the sake of drama on the show. She does have some great qualities (honesty, genuineness).

I too used to think that picking TCC was a collaborative group effort of all judges involved. I believed it right up until we all saw Kelli and Charlotte pull an audible by inviting Danielle to TC and effectively kick all the other judges (including Judy) opinions to the curb.

By calling that audible, Kelli and Charlotte set the whole TC selection process on a slippery slope by establishing that judgmental precedent. If I had been a judge that season, I would have called Kelli and Charlotte and asked them why did I waste my time on the TC selection deliberation process when you two were just going to make an arbitrary decision on your own just because you felt like it.

Yeah I definitely think tonight will be a cut night. Since yesterday was their first night on the field they probably just tried to correct them as much as possible and take mental notes as to who was doing poorly. If it doesn't click with them tonight they're probably out

• Love 1

Okay gang, please stop the repetitive judges/Miss Kitty/Judy/Kelli/Charlotte beating a dead horse over and over again discussion. In otherwords, please state your thought or opinion and move on. Also, please do not call out other posters if they do not agree with you. Potentially heated or heated discussion posts may be hidden or edited in the future with the possibility of just a note warning or suspension. I also recommend the ignore button feature (instructions in the pinned Guideline thread at the top of the forum,) and thinking of what to say in your post before hitting the reply button. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

(edited)

Also, I hate Chelsea, but I thought it was so immature the way Kitty runs to Kelli and Judy to tattle on her. Barf.

From what I've seen, I've found Kitty to be abrasive, but I figured it kind of went with the territory, as I think many in her position are hyper-critical in a not so nice way to get her students to perform better.  On a lesser scale, I was in band front in high school, and the band director was always yelling at us about how awful we were at practice, but somehow we became magically great at competitions.  With regard to the Chelsea situation, I thought the abrasiveness was so over the top that it seemed fake, almost like she was playing that season's villain.  I don't recall in any of the seasons Kitty being the one to point out weight issues (at least to that extent), and I thought the tattling was a bit over the top.

ETA:  bigskygirl, I apologize if this just went against your post! :)

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 1

It is okay By Tor. It is okay to talk about things or people associated with the show or behind the scenes. The problem is when the same thing is being said over and over again to the point where it can disrupt the flow of the thread or can or is turning into a heated discussion, I ask for posters to move on to another topic and/or continue talking about the same topic by being civil, polite, and respectful to other posters. Sadly, we have been dealing with a few issues lately on here to the point where we could lose posters, the forum is not enjoyable to post in, and people are afraid to state their opinions. I know we do not want this, and I do not want to send a just a note warning or suspend someone because they are not following the guidelines.

Relating to voting power, I've always been bothered by the Danielle reversal.  Don't get me wrong, she's my favorite DCC, and they were right to keep her.  But if I were a judge who voted (apparently along with enough other judges) to keep her out, I'd be pissed that Kelli and Charlotte can just reverse that at their whim.  If that's the case, why even let the judges vote at all -- just have them give feedback and then Kelli and Charlotte pick whoever they choose.

Danielle was injured a couple weeks before finals. When Cassie was injured (S6, wasn't it?), Kelli and Judy made an exception and let her back on the squad. I remember Jay Johnson bringing up whether K/J would let anyone else on if that candidate wasn't fit and ready to go. But K/J let her on anyway. That's why I thought they probably reconsidered with Danielle. They would have looked pretty 2-faced for letting Cassie back on the squad injured and not Danielle, especially now that TC is a show in CMT! lol

• Love 2
(edited)

There's a few differences though:  1) The judges voted Danielle OFF the squad, whereas the judges voted to retain Cassie (it wasn't just K/J); 2) Kelli said that the judges' decision as it relates to Danielle wasn't just because of the injury (she'd gained weight).  Nonetheless, Kelli and Charlotte decided on the spot to overrule the judges' decision regarding Danielle -- they didn't have to do that to keep Cassie.  Incidentally, I think Cassie could have showed up to finals 6 months pregnant and missing both legs and they still would have kept her simply because she was Judy's daughter.

Edited by Smplsimon
  • Love 2
(edited)

The situations weren't identical, of course. But Cassie's situation may have been a factor in Danielle's case. Also, of course the judges aren't going to vote Cassie off - she's Judy's daughter! lol

But Danielle is my favorite cheerleader too!  (I'm going to miss Veronica. :( )

Edited by Kaedee
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think Kitty is awful and clearly just trying tobe another Simon Cowell. She obviously has a good eye, but she's needlessly (and narcissistically) cruel. Great example: Last season, when she asked Ashely Pro in front of the whole squad why she thought she got cut the previous season. Ashley answered and Kitty cuts her off with "No, you were on the plank, and I pushed you off!" Meaning she told Kelli and Judy to cut her. How the hell is that constructive?

I don't interpret Kitty's statement that way, I always assumed she meant "You already lacked confidence, I just made you crumble."  I suppose it's possible (or very likely) she told Kelli and Judy that Ashley Pro wouldn't be her first choice for a DCC, but Kitty and the other two don't always see eye to eye on certain girls.  There are some girls Kitty just loves (Miranda the Seattle Seahawks girl comes to mind) who never even make it to training camp.  And, in the end, the final decision on who does and doesn't make the team is up to Kelli.  They wouldn't have cut Ashley Pro the first year she made it to training camp if they thought she was ready, no matter what Kitty said.  

Of course, I was never a big Ashley Pro fan, so I might just be biased. :P

Edited by ClosetBachJunkie
  • Love 2

Just curious, but isn't this the current auditions and training camp spoiler thread?

What does Cassie and Danielle's previous auditions have to do with this year.....did I miss something? I haven't read the entire thread of this years spoilers.

Just curious, but isn't this the current auditions and training camp spoiler thread?

What does Cassie and Danielle's previous auditions have to do with this year.....did I miss something? I haven't read the entire thread of this years spoilers.

It is! we just got off on a rabbit trail that was related to this year's auditions/TCC (promise! lol) 

I think this thread will be getting back on track any time now because SOON we should know about the final team!!! I keep checking the social media of candidates and haven't seen anything telling yet...

• Love 2

It is! we just got off on a rabbit trail that was related to this year's auditions/TCC (promise! lol)

I think this thread will be getting back on track any time now because SOON we should know about the final team!!! I keep checking the social media of candidates and haven't seen anything telling yet...

Thank you! I was confused for a bit on what to post where :)