Type keyword(s) to search

Top Gear (UK) - General Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Then it will be impossible for me to see it.  No DVR will record 30 min of a show unless one is watching the whole two hours.  What a stupid move on BBC's part.

11 hours ago, b2H said:

Then it will be impossible for me to see it.  No DVR will record 30 min of a show unless one is watching the whole two hours.  What a stupid move on BBC's part.

I don't know about your dvr but many will allow you to do maul recordings were you simply pick the channel and the time you want to record not the tv show.

Not certain that Directv allows that (setting by time than by show).

since I am generally only home 2 days a week and record other stuff, ff'ing through 90 minutes may not work for me.

The drama continues: Matt LeBlanc is planning to quit Top gear if Chris Evans does not go first

The American presenter, 48, is said to be concerned about Evans’s rudeness towards other members of the team, with some suggesting he also is frustrating to film with.

A source told the Sun on Sunday: “The team does not gel and the atmosphere between the presenters is frosty.”

They added: “Matt’s indicated he won’t continue on any further series if Chris remains. He is far from the only one who is not happy.”

The ratings continue to drop.

• Love 1

My hubby wonders how long it will take the BBC to realize its error and bring the boys back.  They probably won't come but surely SOMEONE at the network is starting to see the handwriting on the wall about what was a franchise program.

The originals were coming onto a show that was loved but did not have the following it has now. James didn't join Jeremy and Richard until the third series, I think it was the third series. I suspect that they all were lesser known individuals and that there was some luck that they gelled the way they did. It was not an intentional teaming. So it is not a surprise that the BBC is struggling to find a team with similar chemistry.

There is no way to bring the Boys back, they are making more money on Amazon and get to keep the show that they love. I suspect that there will be some known limits on the political banter but it is hard to see how BBC could bring Clarkson back.

What is more surprising to me is that the brought Evans on at all. That choice was questioned by many people as soon as it was announced. I knew nothing about him but there did not seem to be a positive response to Evans. They should have changed courses right then and there.

On the recommendation of all here, dear hubby and I looked through the settings on our DVR and could not find it.

If anyone is able to make this happen on Directv in the US, please PM me.

Top Gear: Why Rory Reid should be promoted to save the show

I 100% agree. I've liked every single moment of him being on-screen, be it on the main show or the after-show.

The general feeling from the press, people tweeting, boards like this both internationally and in the UK, is that while some people are totally fed up with the show, that most people think the show will work if you make one change: Chris Evans.  People like Matt LeBlanc, which I can mostly agree with as long as they make his stuff sound less scripted. People like Sabine, Eddie and Rory. The way forward is to put Rory in Chris' spot, standing next to LeBlanc, and send Shouty McShoutface back to radio.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wouldn't conclude from this that LeBlanc stays. I could easily see a situation where they use this as a reason to totally clean house instead.  LeBlanc can't be cheap.  And remember that Matt now has a US sitcom coming on late this year. He may want out himself, because dividing time between L.A. and London is all but impossible over the long term.

I'd hate to see Rory, other Chris, and Eddie go, but they're vulnerable too (despite them being far better than Evans, and arguably even Matt). 

Lowest impact is that they simply promote Rory, keep Matt and all of the others and change nothing else. But I'm skeptical they'd approach it that way.

Edited by Kromm
(edited)

Unnamed BBC sources have told different British media outlets that they currently plan to keep everyone else. Variety reported yesterday that LeBlanc is going to be the lead host for season 24 but other sources suggest that he has yet to finalize a contract for an additional season.

You've brought up the sitcom issue for a few times, which got me curious. According to Zap2it, “Man With the Plan” is in first position but LeBlanc has it written into his contract that production makes room for work on Top Gear. I would guess that the new sitcom follows a typical five day schedule, with shooting days being the lengthiest. So maybe he can work on the two days off and then after table reads on day one? Then film all the studio segments during winter hiatus? I dunno. The closest commuting parallel I can think of are judges Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli at Dancing with the Stars. They spent ten seasons flying between London & Los Angeles twice a week to accommodate Strictly Come Dancing in the fall. I believe Tonioli still does.  

Edited by halopub

So Nu Top Gear failed. I am amazed. Plenty of people said from the start that it was a mistake to try replacing the three guys with a random assortment of newbies and try to keep the same format. Plenty of people said using Evans was a mistake, as he's an awful presenter with nothing about him other than shrill shouting.

But it seems like they're not going to throw in the towel, as they should. If they keep LeBlanc, I might think about giving it a shot, as I like him. If they add Steve Coogan, as some have suggested, then I'm just as out as when Evans was involved.

On 7/6/2016 at 9:50 PM, halopub said:

Unnamed BBC sources have told different British media outlets that they currently plan to keep everyone else. Variety reported yesterday that LeBlanc is going to be the lead host for season 24 but other sources suggest that he has yet to finalize a contract for an additional season.

You've brought up the sitcom issue for a few times, which got me curious. According to Zap2it, “Man With the Plan” is in first position but LeBlanc has it written into his contract that production makes room for work on Top Gear. I would guess that the new sitcom follows a typical five day schedule, with shooting days being the lengthiest. So maybe he can work on the two days off and then after table reads on day one? Then film all the studio segments during winter hiatus? I dunno. The closest commuting parallel I can think of are judges Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli at Dancing with the Stars. They spent ten seasons flying between London & Los Angeles twice a week to accommodate Strictly Come Dancing in the fall. I believe Tonioli still does.  

I think a sitcom has a far more punishing schedule though. You have to learn lines and shoot and reshoot stuff, coordinate scenes and call times, and generally minimize costs. WIth DWTS they pretty much just show up for the taping and little else.

8 hours ago, Kromm said:

I think a sitcom has a far more punishing schedule though. You have to learn lines and shoot and reshoot stuff, coordinate scenes and call times, and generally minimize costs. WIth DWTS they pretty much just show up for the taping and little else.

It's a multicam which is a lighter and easier schedule to manage.

On 7/9/2016 at 7:49 AM, Kromm said:

I agree that the parallels are limited. A sitcom is a relatively manageable schedule compared to a drama but it still runs four to five days an episode, with some 12 hour days. With DWTS, I suspect there is a lot more involved in a judge's work day than just primping for tapings but I get your point.

(edited)

There are reports that BBC execs are giving Alex Renton creative control for next season. And they're planning on bringing in writers, which is terrific.

The taping schedule for Man With a Plan is up. Assuming the sitcom uses a typical five day week, I think this means LeBlanc has a week off in both September and October.

Edited by halopub
grammar
On ‎06‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:11 AM, ProfCrash said:

The electric car episode had me peeing in my pants. Full disclosure, I watched it when I was 7 months pregnant and I gave birth to a 10 pound 2 ounce baby so I was huge and my bladder was, well, very, very small.

But it was a funny episode

Geoff!

From the BBC archives (once they finally decided to have such a thing...), a little bit of old Top Gear.

I mean really old Top Gear.  The first ever episode, predating even Clarkson's first tenure:

• Love 1

I've been watching the new season and the re-revamped show is miles better than last year. They've gotten rid of the annoying Chris Evans and promoted Rory Reid (sp?) from Extra Gear to the main show.  They've kept Matt LeBlanc and although I always wonder if he actually is that knowledgeable about cars or is just reciting a script, he's a lot more relaxed and natural this season. Those 2, along with Chris Harris, actually seem to be developing the kind of chemistry that made the original trio so successful.

• Love 2

For what it's worth, I think LeBlanc knows a lot about cars but I don't know if he gets to write all his own scripts. He sounds much more natural when he is speaking to the in-car cameras than in his voiceovers.

Stateside we haven't gotten the much-talked about video game segment yet but I think the much improved show is pleasant, rather than must-see immediately. The reviews are fine but need clearer, memorable points. (I did like the clear side by side comparison of the nearly identical Alfa and Mazda, which TGT told us but didn't illustrate so clearly). Plus they are still getting the hang of promising segments like the random construction equipment showcases and the lengthened guest interaction. I want to like the bits of cranky Chris teaching the stars to drive the Dunsfold circuit but it's not quite there yet. It was hilarious how Tamsin managed his yelling.

Rory - why wouldn't you go around the ring at least once before getting in the car with Sabine?!

I need to get used to the new host of Extra Gear but I am geuninely digging all the behind the scenes footage. Like how the camera operator mounted the mini cam to the Audi R8's exterior to trail the car being reviewed and get that cinematic wheel footage.

We're going to be getting two more "car" shows. US Top Gear is getting a reboot and the former US hosts have been working on a new project.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, halopub said:

I need to get used to the new host of Extra Gear

Yes, he's definitely an acquired taste.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, halopub said:

US Top Gear is getting a reboot and the former US hosts have been working on a new project.

That's interesting news and I'll have to see what I can find out about it.  I really liked the US hosts, but it turned into an all-gimmick show.

Thoughts on the new cast? I like Paddy, don't much care for Freddie, but overall the show feels much livelier than the LeBlanc years (he was good enough, but the show felt a little too smooth and mellow under his watch).

I just hope they can eventually start giving us more than five episodes a year!

On 9/18/2019 at 10:58 AM, lambertman said:

Thoughts on the new cast? I like Paddy, don't much care for Freddie, but overall the show feels much livelier than the LeBlanc years (he was good enough, but the show felt a little too smooth and mellow under his watch).

I just hope they can eventually start giving us more than five episodes a year!

LeBlanc was awful, and Chris Harris legitimately the best part of those years, so good that he's still around, but Paddy McGuinness and Freddy Flintoff are in many ways even worse than LeBlanc.  LeBlanc could at least drive.  Flintoff is a horrible driver, and McGuiness is at best a decent road driver, but not much more.

In this latest series, it's all come down to endless jokes about how bad Flintoff is at driving and how much damage he's done to the car.  Flintoff is also kind of dimwitted as well. And with McGuiness it's all down to endless jokes about how "Northern" he is.  Harris is used to do separate serious segments, but in the segments in the other two it's impossible to set him up as ever legitimately losing a race, so it's just all contrived stuff that's mostly not driving.  Not that unusual, because even the classic trio of hosts did that, and yes, they DID also make jokes about how May couldn't drive, but they exaggerated with May.  With Flintoff... not so much.  Oh, and Harris has taken on all the short jokes that Richard Hammond used to be there to receive. Oh great.

I will admit it's not fair to judge any show filmed during the Pandemic, especially since all but one episode was limited to inside Britain.  But even on a serious curve it wasn't great.  I DID like the way they still had a live audience by basically setting up a Drive-In though.  That made perfect sense with the show's core premise.