Type keyword(s) to search

Killian Jones/Captain Hook: One Handed Pirate With A Drinking Problem

• Start Topic

Since he looks so very different clean-shaven, one of my dream wish list items is that they'd use that on the show somehow -- like Hook has to go under cover, or he's in an area where he was very active as a pirate and has enemies about, or he's out in the Jolly Roger when the curse is reversed again so that he gets separated from the others and drafted into someone else's navy, or he gets shipwrecked and washed ashore with amnesia, or something. Give him a shave, get rid of the guyliner and jewelry, use the fake hand with glove (or, since we know it can be done, let him have his hand back for real) and put him in something other than black leather, like a navy uniform, and he could probably walk right past even Emma without her recognizing him at first. Throw in a different accent, like going with American to sound like the Enchanted Forest people or else letting him use the real Irish, and he could probably have a conversation with Blackbeard without being recognized as Hook.

• Love 2

One fic I read "Peace I Leave with You" Killian shaved in a scene and I could instantly picture the change. Yes, I vote for Killian to shave for reasons. I wouldn't want him to stay that way though.

The 5B poster with Hook has been put up on the Disney lot. Apparently they took down an Evil Queen S1 poster to do so. Heh.

If that's true, then...*cackles like a mad woman*

I feel like Killian shaving off the scruff would cause people to go into shock.

Actually, I never knew why they didn't have him shave it off for the Good Form flashbacks. He would have looked a lot closer to the age he was supposed to be.

• Love 3

Actually, I never knew why they didn't have him shave it off for the Good Form flashbacks. He would have looked a lot closer to the age he was supposed to be.

Filming schedules. If they didn't film scenes out of order, then they probably would have let him shave it off (and shave off a good 10 years). But because they shoot one episode in about 8 days, and there's no way to predict when the weather will be nice enough to shoot outdoor scenes, the beard had to stay. But at least they let the beard be a lighter ginger in the flashbacks. 

The 5B poster with Hook has been put up on the Disney lot. Apparently they took down an Evil Queen S1 poster to do so. Heh.

I like his poster better than Dark Swan's, tbh. (or any of Regina's, which I never thought did her any justice.)

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

And of course, Swan Queen went insane, as usual!

Happy belated birthday, Colin! Oh shoot, did I just inadvertently promote rape culture and misogyny? Thank god for the SQ fandom to remind me about my homophobic ways...

tumblr_o0nv3emPb61qc17ifo2_250.gif

• Love 7

Hah I missed the Hot Topic tweet! What did they say? Thanks for making us loads of money with merchandise that has your lovely face on it? :)

It said "Happy B-day @colinodonoghue1  a.k.a. Captain Hook!" (X), and linked an "I'm Hooked" tanktop. hehe

Yeah, about the age thing...

In 5x11, douchefather said that it had been a nearly a century since he took off (too bad he didn't drown). And who takes off after they learn the law is waiting for them at the next port, and then makes their way to the next port anyway? Idiot!

Anyway, Let's say Hook is 12 years old when his dad leaves, that puts him at 112 years old right before the curse. Then there's the 28 years in Cora Dome, so that's 140, plus about 3 years since the curse was broken since Henry is like 13 now, that places him at 143.

#boom

Okay, they really need to give him an age and stick with it instead of he's 250 in the press, he's 400 in the dialogue. No wait, 300. In 4x06, he said he was 200, then that changed for some reason.

If I had twitter and asked Adam how old Hook is, he'll probably say 350 or something like that.

Douchefather was prob'ly hoping to slip in 'under the radar' so to speak. Maybe it was the closest place, and handling a rowboat by yourself on a choppy (IIRC) sea at night isn't a day at the beach (ha-ha). His 'True Love' may have helped him figure out approximately how long he'd been under. Figured too, it was safe to name his own BDO Liam, 'cuz thinking his other boys long dead.

Another weird thing is that Brennan named Baby Do-Over Liam "to honor him, to honor both of you!" Uhh...so was Baby Do-Over Jones' real name Liam Killian Jones? Was Brennan planning to name his second kid by his nurse true love Killian, had they had a second child, whether that second child was a he or a she? It couldn't have been just a very common name that Brennan's True Love really liked and he couldn't bear to tell her not to name that kid Liam?

Aside from that 'honored' was obviously not how Killian felt, how was BDO supposed to be in honor of Killian?

He didn't abandon 2.0 like he abandoned his sons? He didn't sell him into servitude like the original versions?

Hook's father is the ideal candidate for a vasectomy (or castration, but I prefer death). What woman wants to have a child with someone who did horrible things to the ones he had before? I mean she helped him see the error of his ways. If He needed someone to hold his hand and explain to him what a giant douchebag he is for what he did, odds are, they shouldn't procreate with him!

Even Rumple's father left him with the spinners. And I thought he was bad.

The sad part about Killian and his douche of a father is that all this time hearing about Captain Hook he's never thought that Captain was his son who he sold to slavery. What an epic douche noodle. It sucks that Killian killed him but he deserved it.

He deserved it for sure. But Liam 2.0 did not deserve being left alone again. There's nothing to show Hook made sure the boy would be cared for after losing his dad. This flashback effectively made Hook's past much Darker than we have seen before. 

Edited by Rumsy4

That's true. This all happened after he met Bae as well. Unless we find out he did set him up with a decent family at the moment Hook just looks like a big ole butt. I wont be shocked that he meets 12 year old Liam2.0 in Storybrook or something because Hook needs angst after being in the Underworld.

He deserved it for sure. But Liam 2.0 did not deserve being left alone again. There's nothing to show Hook made sure the boy would be cared for after losing his dad. This flashback effectively made Hook's past much Darker than we have seen before. 

Regina point blank told him he destroyed a family. I mean there is irony because it's coming from the destroyer of a whole bunch of families.

The thing is, it's his family he destroyed, and they showed us destroy. 2.0 didn't deserve any of it, but I'm really whatever on the whole situation. 

This is like the Eggnapping stunt the writers threw at Snowing when there have been no indications in the past 4 seasons about any one keeping these kinds of secrets. The writers expect us to buy the idea Regina would keep Hook's secret all this time? She would have thrown it in his face at the first opportunity. 

• Love 4

Of course Regina would've thrown it back in his face especially with everything that went down in season 2 between them. She would've held this over his head, and threatened to blow up his relationship with Emma with it. It's like awesome blackmail. But Regina is the best secret keeper ever. See, young!Snow White, that's how it's done!

I guess knowing what happened with 2.0 kind of adds to the reasons why Hook was so involved in Bae, and so involved off screen with Henry. Maybe it's another way to try and redeem himself?

I miss Killian's season 3B/4 hair. I know he's having a rough...6 weeks but when Emma get's him out of hell she better give his ass a haircut. His unkempt hair is unacceptable. The disrespect. Sad Killian is a mess.

Edited by mjgchick
  • Love 1

I totes agree, mjgchick.  I little bit of shag was fine, even a somewhat endearing, given all he's gone through.  But it's getting out of control now.  I actually cringed when the whole "you will be the man I love when you wake up" scene was going down in Granny's at Camelot.  His hair was all over the place, bangs flopping off his forehead that could rival Kevin Sorbo in all his Herculean glory. No thanks.  Trim it up, sailor!

I mean, there's really no comparison (imo):

comparison.jpg

• Love 2

Not gonna lie, i dig the long hair. I thought it worked considering 5a was a rather rough time for him. His season 4 hair was too short for my liking. I'll agree that 3b was probably the epitome of perfection, but i do like the occasional hairflippy/bangs once in a while.

He looked like a coke addict waiting for the next hit by the end of 5A.

I honestly wanted him to look even worse at the end of 5A. I feel cheated by not seeing him go full sparkly lizard mode. I think that also would have been a better visual for the audience to remind us that it was The Darkness that was mostly controlling Killian at the end, not the real man.

Edited by Curio

I'm okay with the hair, because it makes sense. Between the stress of the situation with Emma, Hook being the Dark One, and then dying, let's not have a Ginny situation where she clearly got a hair cut between the filming of the Neverland episodes. And I mean that wasn't just a let's take out the ends, that was a full on hair cut. Maybe this is a decision Colin made regarding his hair, that it should stay the way it is until the entire arc is done. Because let's face it, it's this show.

Personally, I had a bigger problem with Hook's Dark One wardrobe. If wardrobe had moved away from the character being dressed in dark colors ALL the time, and I'm not saying put him plaid or anything like that, maybe they wouldn't have had such a hard time when he was turned into the Dark One.

His DO outfit was basically the same as his regular pirate outfit, albeit a tad elaborate, and his Storybrooke pirate outfit was so very whatever, and nothing to write about. I don't know if the idea was to make him look manic and unkempt which is something we got from the script anyway.

What happened between Camelot where he was this "flamboyant" looking pirate!Dark One to the ish he was wearing in Storybrooke? Was he like eff this, I'm on a mission and I'll think up outfits later? 

• Love 1

I'm assuming he ended up with the unkempt outfit because he's reminded that Emma didn't believe in him and hid the sword from him?

Im still disappointed that we didn't get Emma and Hook turn scaly. Like how many stages must you past to get to scaly dark one? Hook killed someone and Emma forced the dark curse on someone who didn't want it.

Like how many stages must you past to get to scaly dark one? Hook killed someone and Emma forced the dark curse on someone who didn't want it.

Shit happens when you're flying by the seam of your pants. All 5A told me is that A&E had no idea how to develop the Dark One mythology other than the stuff they had already established, like the voices in that person's head. That's the only explanation we got for what Rumple said way back when. 

I think his best hair day was at the tavern in episode The Jolly Roger. Dude's do was practically sculpted, which brought out the cheekbones-jawline thing he always has going on...but he was supposed to have had helmet hair, and essentially been homeless for who knows how long. Good hair is bad hair.

I don't mind the cascading fringe because, as mentioned upthread, he's been having a bad couple of months.

Edited by Faemonic

I'm okay with no scaly Hook. Why mess with the pretty? And the wild hair in the last arc fit because he was pretty much unraveling, first over his worry over Emma, then from being the Dark One. The Storybrooke Dark One outfit was so lame and made no sense. We saw that in Camelot he chose to get back into something that was basically his old pirate attire, so why didn't he do that again in Storybrooke? Why did he have to dress differently just because he was in a different place? And why did realizing he was the Dark One require a change of clothes, anyway? Just changing the leather to the same thing but less shiny was such an odd choice.

Actually most of the costuming for Hook is pretty lame. The initial look, a sort of bad boy glam rocker thing rather than the more traditional late 17th Century fop, was really nice, but since then the choices have been pretty boring. The "Prince Charles" outfit was basically the same thing with a beige coat. The Storybrooke outfit just swapped a motorcycle jacket for the long coat, and it was almost exactly the sort of thing that fans had been creating in Photoshop all summer. When your exciting new costume is exactly what fans come up with in guessing about Hook's modern clothes, you're not working too hard. The Camelot outfit was still more of the same, basically the old pirate outfit with a few modifications, and even though they were supposedly borrowing clothes they found in Camelot it was nothing like anyone else was wearing in Camelot (they probably didn't have the heart to tell Hook that he was wearing Sir Gawain's pirate costume from the last masquerade ball). And then the Dark Hook costume was so much like his normal clothes that you wonder why they bothered.

Given the creativity behind so much of the other costuming on the show, it makes me wonder how much this is what the costume designer is really coming up with and how much is dictated from above. "We really love this, Eduardo. It's so creative and it's a great look. But we were hoping for something a little more piratey. You know, with lots of black leather. And a vest. He needs to look like Hook." And so he goes back to his workroom, grabs an old sketch and alters one detail, and they love it while he's rolling his eyes at the idiocy.

I'm okay with no scaly Hook. Why mess with the pretty?

I wanted to see a scaly Hook because of the Dark One continuity and history. The writers didn't do a very thorough job of expanding the Dark One rules, but what we did see on screen in 5A was Nimue turning green and sparkly after she crushed Vortigan's heart. With that piece of canon, then it's not farfetched to assume Hook should have turned a different shade physically when he crushed Merlin's heart. I can buy Hook and Emma not being scaly when Emma transferred the darkness into them because she was technically doing it for a good reason (saving the town and then later saving Hook's life), but when Hook crushed Merlin's heart, that should have been one big step towards a scaly aesthetic.

And I actually think Colin's pretty aesthetics worked against him in the Dark One storyline because a lot of the audience couldn't fully grasp just how far down the rabbit hole he had fallen. I read a lot of comments saying they were confused about why Hook was being so mean, so I think the fact that the darkness had nearly taken full control of Hook's body flew right over their heads because he still looked like normal/attractive Hook, not a Dark One. Physically showing Hook as an ugly, scaly demon while he waltzed around Storybrooke threatening to kill everyone not only would have made it more obvious to the audience that Nimue/The Darkness was more in control of the situation than Hook was, but it also would have shown how difficult it was for Killian to fight back against that demon and become the man he wanted to be in the end. It also would have made Emma's decision to turn him into the Dark One seem more serious and damning if what she turned him into was a hideous beast, not just a guy who looks like a rock star who snorted too many lines before a concert.

Imagine the scene where Hook slowly comes to the realization that he has to save Emma from Nimue and do a heel face turn. (Reference:)

tumblr_nz7z5gyrFP1r74nq4o5_540.gif

Colin is a very talented actor so that scene was still impactful, but think about how much more impactful it might have been if his face slowly peeled away the scaly skin and revealed the true man beneath the makeup. (Which would have been another canon callback to Rumple's skin peeling away when he kissed Belle.) Maybe others disagree, but physically seeing that transformation from beast to man would have made it seem like a lot harder battle to defeat the darkness than what we were shown on screen. Colin still did a great job with what he had, but I think a lot of the general audience didn't fully grasp just how drunk Hook was on the Dark One powers at the time.

On top of all that, Hook having scaly or sparkly skin in Storybrooke would have been one more secret Emma had to keep hiding the entire time, which makes her situation a lot more precarious. Not only would she have had to hide Killian's name on the sword, but she also would have had to put a glamour spell on him to keep him from looking like a lizard. So in the timeline of events, Hook could have turned sparkly the moment he crushed Merlin's heart, and when Emma knocked him out in the diner in Camelot and erased everyone's memories, she could have also used the glamour spell on him to prevent everyone from knowing what happened. And then later on, when Zelena reveals Killian's name on the sword, that could have been the moment where his scaly skin slowly revealed itself again. Seeing his scaly skin resurface in that scene could have made that 180 where Hook turned on Emma seem less random.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 4

I could sort of give them a pass on the whole scaly vs non scaly because technically, Nimue is the one who had Hook crush Merlin's heart or did it through him as opposite to Hook doing that to someone he loved.

My gripe is in the very final scene right before he dies, when he and Emma are enveloped in the light. We see Emma transform from Dark one to herself, but we don't see that with him. If the darkness is technically vanquished, shouldn't his clothes have changed back to what he would normally wear?

Or is Hook going to retain some of that magic? I mean when Emma goes to see Rumple and confronts him, he tells her that he has all the powers, including hers, but there's no mention of anything regarding Hook, which I thought was odd to begin with.

Are there different rules because Emma comes from the Nimue line of Dark Ones, while Hook got Merlin's side of magic? Merlin's magic was depleted after he put up that fight against the sword's control, and he said he had no magic in 5x10. 

I've wondering if Hook won't get to keep some of Merlin's light magic. 

Edited by YaddaYadda

I could sort of give them a pass on the whole scaly vs non scaly because technically, Nimue is the one who had Hook crush Merlin's heart or did it through him as opposite to Hook doing that to someone he loved.

Yes and no. Was it mostly Nimue who was forcing Hook to crush the heart? Yes. But ultimately, there had to be a small part of Hook that allowed that to happen, because Hook was also able to say no to Nimue later on when she was about to kill Emma. Hook just didn't try as hard to fight back against the darkness in that moment when it was Merlin's life on the line because he has no personal connection to him.

I've wondering if Hook won't get to keep some of Merlin's light magic.

I doubt the writers even thought about that at all, so I'm going to guess no.

Edited by Curio

There aren't really enough points on the Dark One to establish a pattern. Rumple and Nimue killed to become Dark Ones, while Hook killed after he had already been made a Dark One, and he didn't become a Dark One by normal means, so he may or may not have turned scaly after killing. And if they're going by Rumple's precedent, Hook wouldn't have been scaly in Storybrooke, anyway. Rumple looks normal in Storybrooke, and they got back from Camelot via the curse, just as Rumple got to Storybrooke by curse, so Hook would have looked normal in Storybrooke, even if he did turn scaly in Camelot.

There aren't really enough points on the Dark One to establish a pattern.

It's sad how under-developed the Dark One rules are that there's precedent for both arguments. You have Mr. Gold who chooses to look like a normal person in Storybrooke, but then you have Nimue looking green and sparkly when she could easily look normal too, and then you have Hook who's technically a newbie at all this magic stuff so it should be harder for him to pull off a long-term glamour spell like that, but even Emma's skin and hair became more pale in Storybrooke, and Emma couldn't control her skin getting sparkly when she embraced the power in Camelot, and...

It's all a mess.

• Love 2

The problem with figuring out the Dark One stuff is that not only do we not have enough points to make a pattern, but most of the points we have probably fall into the "exception" category. Rumple and Zazso (sp?) were the "normal" Dark Ones who killed the previous Dark One to get their power, and Rumple's the only one we saw become the Dark One that way. Hook and Emma were turned into Dark Ones in different ways without killing to do so. Nimue was the original Dark One who started the whole thing by using the power of the Grail to kill and then became corrupted by that power. Nimue may have still looked all scaly in Storybrooke because she wasn't transported via curse but rather came straight out of the Underworld, where she's spent centuries apparently plotting her revenge. So she may have a Gollum thing going on, where she's been corrupted so much over time that she's become something that's no longer human. Hook barely had any time as Dark One, especially if you don't count the time when he didn't know what he was and wasn't acting accordingly (which still makes no sense). There's also no good reason for Emma to have turned all Dark Swan and especially not to have still looked that way in Storybrooke after transport via curse, unless she was doing it on purpose to keep people at a distance. But then if that was the case, why did she revert to her usual red-jacketed self the moment Hook took all the Darkness?

But on the whole, I'd have considered it more a departure from the established "rules" of the Dark One if Hook had looked scaly in Storybrooke, given Rumple's normal appearance. Maybe we could have seen it briefly in Camelot before the curse kicked in.

And I still think Emma would have been more successful at hiding what was going on from him if she'd just looked and acted like her normal self all along upon the return and pretended that they'd saved her and he just didn't remember. Then he wouldn't have been out digging for the truth and trying to figure out what went wrong and she could have fixed everything before he knew. There might have been the problem of him wanting to spend time with her when she had other things she needed to be doing, but that's where the Arthur situation could have come into play -- get him focused on figuring out what the deal with Arthur was and dealing with Arthur and he'd be distracted from knowing what she was doing. She should have known him well enough to know that the way she was acting was like wearing a giant button saying "Ask me about my secret scheme!" He notices stuff, he's curious, and he's never going to stop trying to save her, so if he thinks there's something wrong with her, he will get to the bottom of it.

• Love 1

It wouldn't have made sense for Hook to be SparkleDark in Storybrooke, though, because if he got there via Dark Curse then there's an override of all existing curses. So goes the theory why Mr. Gold has the limp and no SparkleDark.

I thought he did really well with acting completely unhinged and dancing at the end o the puppet strings of the Dark One Hive Mind. (Except for that he won't kill Emma. Like he forgot that he literally can't do that.) When the big reveal came, I remember snarking, "Oh, so that's why he's been short tempered, shouty, hasn't been shaving, and wears black all the time...no, wait, seriously?" But I thought he conveyed well without makeup, after the memories came back, that he's completely off his rocker evil now.

The writing in Swan Song didn't continue that as well, and for whatever reason Colin played it more lucidly? Which I think ruined everything. I'd be more inclined to call that a directorial choice. Or, maybe even the writers not taking the opportunity to have Nimue force-choking Emma and then write that Hook bursts out laughing maniacally like, "Nimue, love...Why would you stand right beside me when Excalibur is this big?" Swish, off with her head, Excalibur absorbs the darkness, and he has Light Swan back for 0.02 seconds before begging Emma to shish-kabob him. Wink at Regina, because duh of course he's changed from the man she sent to Papa Jones, and then...not the gurney scene. Something other than the gurney scene.

Bringing this over from the Rumple thread, where I brought up the theory that maybe the effect of the Darkness is to amplify and give a dark twist to tendencies that are already there -- so selfish, fearful Rumple becomes power-mad and protective Emma goes to extreme and dark lengths to protect her loved ones, whether or not they want that protection. Meanwhile, Hook with his anger issues becomes a ball of hate.

But with Hook, he already had a bad report card for being the villainous Captain Hook for centuries, so the Darkness was able to put a magnifying glass to that and create an even worse monster.

I'm not sure it really had to do with him being the villainous Captain Hook. Even if he'd never acted on his anger to murderous degrees, he has enough anger and a hot enough temper that if you fill him with Darkness, the result is going to be a rage machine. Although the show sometimes tries to tell us otherwise, I don't think it's necessarily a sign of darkness or evil to be angry when you have good reason to be angry, and Hook has good reason to be pretty angry at the universe because he's been betrayed so many times. He's basically a big walking open wound. His own father sold him out when he was a child. Then he and his brother managed in spite of that to get to good positions in the military, only to be betrayed by their king. He managed to find love and had built a life with Milah, only to have Rumple back out on the deal he made to spare their lives and kill Milah and maim Hook. Anyone would be angry about that. The problem comes in how someone deals with anger, and Hook has generally not handled it well. All along, we keep seeing that his temper is his greatest weakness and it gets in the way of any good impulses he might have. He nourishes his anger and feeds it, keeping it alive with that singleminded quest for revenge. Even though he's turned himself around, for the most part, he hasn't stopped being angry. He's just learned better ways to manage it. He has all those coping mechanisms he was teaching Moderately Dark Emma. He's been focusing on love rather than hate.

And then he had the rug pulled out from under him yet again. Right at the point where it seemed that everything would work out, he was dying and then his love betrayed him by making him into the thing he hated most. So when he was reborn as the Dark One, which takes the person you were and amplifies and twists it, he became a walking ball of rage and hate. Then there's his other key trait, his intensity and commitment. When he does something, either good or bad, he's all-in, 100-percent, with every fiber of his being. So, turn that person into a Dark One, and you get the Darkest Dark Who Ever Darked.

I have wondered if it would have been quite so bad if it hadn't been Emma to turn him over his objections. If it had been Regina, mistakenly thinking she was doing Emma a favor, or if Merlin had jumped in without realizing the consequences, or if Zelena had done it in order to get a weapon to fight the good guys, so he had no reason to feel betrayed by Emma, would Emma have had a better chance at managing him and keeping him from going so dark?

I'm also wondering what he'll be like with the Darkness removed. Was that like with Rumple, where it seems like even his own, non-Dark One darkness was removed, leaving his heart empty? I don't think Hook's heart would be empty because we've seen that it's mostly red, but would whatever darkness he had on his own be gone along with the Darkness? Obviously, based on Rumple's actions, that doesn't necessarily change a person's nature. But since a lot of Hook's issues come from the darkness he's allowed to fester with all his anger, if he lost that darkness, would he truly get a fresh start? (On this show, I'm kind of betting no because they're too in love with the status quo and wouldn't want to give up their bad-boy pirate entirely.)

• Love 2

I think Hook could've been ok had Emma trusted him. That reminds me of how petty he was when Emma said she couldn't trust him when they got the compass on the beanstalk. So when he realized Emma couldn't trust him with the sword he got so petty. In Storybrook he hit her with the jugular about being an orphan the same way he hit her about being rotten like the bean.