Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Spend – Pre-Air Speculation and Live Chat

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

This is your pre-air speculation and live airing thread dedicated to discussing the 14th episode Spend.

At 10:00 pm, this thread will close, and you can go on over to the actual episode discussion thread HERE.

SpoilerTag comic spoilers please. Always be respectful and kind. Make sure to include some humour in your posts. And have FUN!

• Love 1

Ah-ha!!  Here's where the ASZhats surprise CDB... the hidden charges!

"Ok, here's your new balance.  That includes the alcohol and food consumed at the party.  You can pay now or by the end of the month.  Oh, and your house/utlities rent is due by the end of the week;  costume rental costs included on that bill, as well.  Have a nice day!"

• Love 5

This isn't a real spoiler, it's just putting a possible interpretation to the second promo released.

The AMC promo showed Pete (drunk again) telling Rick:Let's be friends. I mean we kinda have to be."

could that be part of what it takes to stay there...Deanna's
babies plan? Does Pete know something about having to let
his wife be borrowed? Is that why he drinks and talks about
trying to hold on to what he hasn't lost yet? Is that why Pete is so insistent on Rick coming
in for an exam...and the children also?
Because Pete may have said they were out there for so long
but so was everyone else in the group and I haven't heard
that Pete approached the others about getting examined.

• Love 3

The AMC promo showed Pete (drunk again) telling Rick: "Let's be friends. I mean we kinda have to be."

I just thought he was referring to the fact that they're neighbors in a tiny, insular community.

• Love 5

This isn't a real spoiler, it's just putting a possible interpretation to the second promo released.

The AMC promo showed Pete (drunk again) telling Rick:Let's be friends. I mean we kinda have to be."

could that be part of what it takes to stay there...Deanna's

babies plan? Does Pete know something about having to let

his wife be borrowed? Is that why he drinks and talks about

trying to hold on to what he hasn't lost yet? Is that why Pete is so insistent on Rick coming

in for an exam...and the children also?

Because Pete may have said they were out there for so long

but so was everyone else in the group and I haven't heard

that Pete approached the others about getting examined.

I don't know if you have knowledge of the comics (as I don't), so maybe you have insight to what might be 'on deck', so to speak, that I don't [which is fine to me, as I prefer getting surprised as much as I do with just watching the show]... but if this is something they do decide to go with, as far as the storyline, one can see how all the little pieces are adding up to that type of 'conclusion'.

Maybe that's an interpretation of Jessie's reaction to Rick kissing her on the cheek.  "*eyes averted downward* Oh crap.  I don't want to do this to him.....  *looks up* however... *smiles while staring and backing away & leaving room* I don't like it or really want to be a brood mare, but if it were with a guy like this, maybe it wouldn't be sooo bad.".  A question I ponder, though, is if ASZ wants to be part-breeding farm... when they have produced two kids already, why not just have Pete & Jessie pump out kids between themselves?  Why 'farm her out' to other people??  That kinda pings my radar as being pretty weird, even more so than the usual.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36

I don't know if you have knowledge of the comics (as I don't), so maybe you have insight to what might be 'on deck', so to speak, that I don't [which is fine to me, as I prefer getting surprised as much as I do with just watching the show]... but if this is something they do decide to go with, as far as the storyline, one can see how all the little pieces are adding up to that type of 'conclusion'.

Maybe that's an interpretation of Jessie's reaction to Rick kissing her on the cheek.  "*eyes averted downward* Oh crap.  I don't want to do this to him.....  *looks up* however... *smiles while staring and backing away & leaving room* I don't like it or really want to be a brood mare, but if it were with a guy like this, maybe it wouldn't be sooo bad.".  A question I ponder, though, is if ASZ wants to be part-breeding farm... when they have produced two kids already, why not just have Pete & Jessie pump out kids between themselves?  Why 'farm her out' to other people??  That kinda pings my radar as being pretty weird, even more so than the usual.

nonono!

If I have knowledge of something that would be a spoiler and go on the spoiler page!!!

I guess I didn't make that clear in my intro.

I've been just "funnin' around" with wild possibilities because it seems too automatic--oh they're nice. What a nice place. The party noshes were nice. Wasn't everyone dressed nice.

Seeing as we are leading up to a (drum roll) season finale, something has to happen, it better be something off the charts.

They said at the beginning of season 5 they would follow the comic but (blows raspberry) there have been so many changes already, and they always say that and then do whatever they want.

So, no, I'm not building on something spoilery---it's my own perverted take on the spaciness of the ASZ characters.

No insight. Just playing with ya. JK!

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 1

nonono!

If I have knowledge of something that would be a spoiler and go on the spoiler page!!!

I guess I didn't make that clear in my intro.

I've been just "funnin' around" with wild possibilities because it seems too automatic--oh they're nice. What a nice place. The party noshes were nice. Wasn't everyone dressed nice.

Seeing as we are leading up to a (drum roll) season finale, something has to happen, it better be something off the charts.

They said at the beginning of season 5 they would follow the comic but (blows raspberry) there have been so many changes already, and they always say that and then do whatever they want.

So, no, I'm not building on something spoilery---it's my own perverted take on the spaciness of the ASZ characters.

No insight. Just playing with ya. JK!

Ah, ok.   Your 'perverted' [*hi5!*] take sounded pretty credible - still does, actually.  Thus my possibly-spoilerish speculation addition to yours. 

• Love 1

Ah, ok.   Your 'perverted' [*hi5!*] take sounded pretty credible - still does, actually.  Thus my possibly-spoilerish speculation addition to yours. 

We could keep going with that one forever. Maybe the ending with Rick doing his Zoolander walk to jaunty music with that look on his face means he figured it out, and decided Okay, other groups have wanted to do worse things with my body. Like grill it. Plus no more worries about Carl's future. He'll thank me someday.Thank God Shane isn't here or nobody else would get any. Sucks to be Eugene though.

• Love 3

ooh-ooh, I got it! Tovah (if I may be so familiar) not only said in the interview that Deanna wanted a good gene pool for repopulation, she said Deanna wanted "brawn".

But for a woman to stay leader, a small middle-aged woman, any really rugged men could take over...unless they don't stay long enough.

Let's say they perform their duties---fight enemies and make DNA donations *coughs* then get "disposed" of and replaced.

Aaron and Clay Aiken are gay, and brainy (?) so they get to live. And serve the queen. Like drone ants. Or something.

Thus nature saves the Queen from military coups. Also prevents inbreeding (that never ends well.)

n7ftn84.jpg

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 7

I am not knocking your spec, but I would hate that storyline with the fire of a thousand burning suns. Please no! Let's just let them be mostly normal, but weak, naive, and lucky! I'd love for our group, while suffering and angry, and PTSDy, etc to be the heroes and save this place from something instead of being in another "trap."

• Love 9

ASZ is a big Catch-22, for this show.

On one hand, you can't help but want it to be this safe and sustainable "wonderland" that everything will work out.  Just need to repel some occasional human marauders, cull any accruing masses of walkers, and maybe need to go on runs after so long to restock.  Just for the sake of CDB and everything they went through.

But on on the other side of the coin, as much as I enjoy the non-wall-to-wall action and more character development 'hours', this would get old sooner rather than later.  And it wouldn't be TWD, not as we know it at its core essence.  Not really.

We could keep going with that one forever. Maybe the ending with Rick doing his Zoolander walk to jaunty music with that look on his face means he figured it out, and decided Okay, other groups have wanted to do worse things with my body. Like grill it. Plus no more worries about Carl's future. He'll thank me someday.Thank God Shane isn't here or nobody else would get any. Sucks to be Eugene though.

Sucks to be Eugene's hand, you mean.  Rosy Palm would have a constant blistering sunburn.  And poor Little E.  That guy would be beaten and choked worse & more frequently than a redheaded step child.

• Love 3

ASZ is a big Catch-22, for this show.

On one hand, you can't help but want it to be this safe and sustainable "wonderland" that everything will work out.  Just need to repel some occasional human marauders, cull any accruing masses of walkers, and maybe need to go on runs after so long to restock.  Just for the sake of CDB and everything they went through.

But on on the other side of the coin, as much as I enjoy the non-wall-to-wall action and more character development 'hours', this would get old sooner rather than later.  And it wouldn't be TWD, not as we know it at its core essence.  Not really.

Don't worry.

Odds are slim-slim-to-none the ASZ will survive more than a few months.

CDB is on the scene now.

They can take down any safe house faster than termites on amphetamines.

Also - to quote John Irving's The Hotel New Hampshire:

"Sorrow floats."

• Love 6

I doubt this is going to be the plot, but if it were, there's a good reason you'd have Jessie breed with Rick even if you know she and Pete can produce kids: genetic diversity.

If you're trying to re-populate a planet with a small number of people, you have to be careful of the pitfalls of inbreeding. You get less of those genetic issues if few kids have the same two parents.

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 3

The one reason I don't think this is the case is that there are no pregnant women we have see so far. If this is the ASZhat's plan, it would be smart to stagger them, and there should always be a few pregnant at a time.

• Love 2

I doubt this is going to be the plot, but if it were, there's a good reason you'd have Jessie breed with Rick even if you know she and Pete can produce kids: genetic diversity.

If you're trying to re-populate a planet with a small number of people, you have to be careful of the pitfalls of inbreeding. You get less of those genetic issues if few kids have the same two parents.

Here's an article about a man who is a sperm donor who fathered 55 children in a 50 mile radius, and how these children could grow up and unknowingly have children together with medical consequences.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2963308/Sperm-donor-cowboy-s-fathered-40-children-15-way.html

It's probably not the plotline. But most of the people (adults) there looked older. I don't remember seeing young women---I saw Aiden, Spencer, the two gay residents Aiden and Eric, a few men I don't know much about. But I didn't see young women. Or women who were there without an apparent husband.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 1

Or women who were there without an apparent husband.

Now that is odd. That many couples made it to a make-shift evacuation site and are still together after raiding, transporting and putting up the wall, and continued clearing and exploring of the area? Too many couples and I'm going to start leaning toward these little family units being forced together post-ZA for town appearances.

Anyone remember the end of the movie Funny Farm, starring Chevy Chase? He and his wife pay the rest of the town to not act like total loons while people come to look at their house so they can move out of there.

• Love 2

Too many couples and I'm going to start leaning toward these little family units being forced together post-ZA for town appearances.

Why wouldn't the Alexandrians just hook up on their own volition? They're in a safe place with no TV or internet. Tobin put the moves on Carol right quick.

Were those three women swapping dessert recipes post-menopausal?

• Love 3

Speaking of post-menopausal, do none of the women in our group still get periods? I mean I know that stress and PTSD can push a woman into early menopause, but Lori did get pregnant, and Glenn was afraid that Maggie was pregnant while they were at the prison, so … still flowing. Just once I want one of these shows to deal with the very real biological event that all females between certain ages have to handle. OK, so not a whole episode devoted to it (although that could go some interesting places. So to speak.), but just a passing reference. You know: "Hey, Glenn, while you're out there scavenging, look for some tampons, OK? Thanks."

But back to Spend. I've only seen the one preview that has Tara and Eugene in DC (and I'm dying to know how that came about); where is the other one with Pete and Rick to be found, please? I didn't see it on the AMC site.

• Love 1

Thanks, editorgrrl. Of course. I had to get up extra early the next morning; I must have missed it while I was doing that get-stuff-ready-for-the-morning thing.

Actually, I did see that clip. Ha! I think I was so taken by how gargantuan Pete looked next to Rick that I didn't pay attention to the dialogue. Also, AL can do one hell of a death glare, eh.

Edited by maystone
  • Love 1

Well, that and his being drunk during the day and very much getting into Rick's personal space. Isn't Pete actually pretty tall? I'll have to pay more attention to the party scene when it's rerun.

It's still strange for me to see Rick having visitors in his house. I never thought I'd be writing those last five words, you know?

• Love 3

I doubt this is going to be the plot, but if it were, there's a good reason you'd have Jessie breed with Rick even if you know she and Pete can produce kids: genetic diversity

Okay, we know that maybe these people (CDB and ASZ) don't really know this, but pregnancy before modern medicine was very very risky. The chance of a woman dying in childbirth was extremely high, then the chance that the kid would survive was really high. Now that we have clear knowledge of WHY, the last thing I would want to do is get knocked up and risk a painful pregnancy and potentially deadly childbirth and for what? On top of that, hauling a large belly around while running from Walkers is not the ideal situation to be in. No way, man. Screw the Earth. It's not worth it. JMO.

• Love 6

Now that is odd. That many couples made it to a make-shift evacuation site and are still together after raiding, transporting and putting up the wall, and continued clearing and exploring of the area? Too many couples and I'm going to start leaning toward these little family units being forced together post-ZA for town appearances.

To paraphrase a line out of Stephen King's The Stand: I strongly suspect many of these "marriages" are of the common-law variety, and of extremely short duration.

I could understand the CDB's lack of sex, but these people?  Their lives seem incredibly boring...They should be boinking like bunnies.

Really? 

Listen to Ms. Neudermeyer prattle on about the virtues of homemade pasta for, say, three or four hours.

Then tell me how long it would take for you to get it up.

• Love 7

I could understand the CDB's lack of sex, but these people?  Their lives seem incredibly boring...They should be boinking like bunnies.

They're probably afraid of being exiled, especially if Deanna was a "family values" type of Congresswoman.

• Love 3

That's when I knew Pete was getting a "bad guy" edit.

Yeah, pretty much at this point, the only things missing to make Pete more recognizable are an eye patch, meat stuck between his teeth, and a propensity to look at stuff & say "claimed".

Okay, we know that maybe these people (CDB and ASZ) don't really know this, but pregnancy before modern medicine was very very risky. The chance of a woman dying in childbirth was extremely high, then the chance that the kid would survive was really high. Now that we have clear knowledge of WHY, the last thing I would want to do is get knocked up and risk a painful pregnancy and potentially deadly childbirth and for what? On top of that, hauling a large belly around while running from Walkers is not the ideal situation to be in. No way, man. Screw the Earth. It's not worth it. JMO.

Ok "Lori".  ;-)

Really? 

Listen to Ms. Neudermeyer prattle on about the virtues of homemade pasta for, say, three or four hours.

Then tell me how long it would take for you to get it up.

Actually sounds like a great sex prevention plan.  Difficult to use it when it stays limp like a wet noodle.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 4
Their lives seem incredibly boring.

Which is why they should be working on maintaining the defenses or planting gardens or raising chickens.  Things that will benefit the community.  Not book clubs and metal lawn owls.

• Love 7

Which is why they should be working on maintaining the defenses or planting gardens or raising chickens.  Things that will benefit the community.  Not book clubs and metal lawn owls.

Which gives me an excuse to put on my tinfoil hat.

No one seems to be worried about attacks, no one seems to complain about being hungry (Oblivia doesn't look like she's missed many meals).

This, despite the flimsy protection and the inadequate food for 45 people.

Which means if they aren't all on mind-control drugs (not that there's anything wrong with that) then they have protection and supply from? God? Or what? In return for ...what?

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Or a free crate of ammo.

Somethin's screwy here.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 4

Yeah, pretty much at this point, the only things missing to make Pete more recognizable are an eye patch, meat stuck between his teeth, and a propensity to look at stuff & say "claimed".

Ok "Lori".  ;-)

Actually sounds like a great sex prevention plan.  Difficult to use it when it stays limp like a wet noodle.

Or have Olivia, plain and stout drone on about making prosciutto and venti lattes all day?    And she looks like she could pull a Duggar and pop out a few to 5 before she hits 50.  

• Love 2

Are Rick and Carol AC/DC fans?

"So lock up your daughter [or your son]

Lock up your wife

Lock up your back door

And run for your life"

I thought kikismom was implying they are Antoine fans

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 2

Previously on AMC's "The Walking Dead:"

Deanna: Let's have a party!

Daryl: Screw that. I'm going hunting.

Aaron: Me too. Hey, look, a horse named Buttons!

Zombies: nom, nom, nom... yummy!

Viewers: Oh my god dude, they killed Buttons! You bastards!

Michonne: I just gave up my actual, useful sword, and now I'm sitting here staring at a little plastic one.

Abe: I know the feeling. That's why I became a funny drunk.

Jessie: Hi, everyone. I'm in more scenes than most of the actual cast.

Rick: Giggety.

Sasha: We should put guards on the watchtower.

Deanna: Put whats on the what now?

Sasha: WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

Sam: Can I have a cookie?

Carol: Oh, you can have your cookies. Is that what you want? Cookies? Because if that's you want, I'll give you cookies. I'll give you a batch of cookies you'll never forget! Mwah ha ha ha ha ha! I might even make fudge...

Sam: Too late.

Random Walker: "W" is for "Wolves.

Rick: Hmmm... I wonder if this is important. I wonder if I should tell someone. And... I wonder if Jessie is wearing a thong. I should look into that.

Aaron: I think we should ride around on a motorcycle together and have zany mismatched buddy cop adventures.

Daryl: 'kay.

Father Pee Pants: I'm still alive, probably.

Viewers: God damn it!

Rick: I'm going crazy... er. Again. I wonder if there's a phone around here someplace. Hey, Olivia..?

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 12

Come on,   I bet Yoo-Jean gets laid by that barrista woman any day now. 

Then she cuts off a leg for ham...not like he will miss it. Even with 2 legs, dude is slower than amputated Herschel.

Previously on AMC's "The Walking Dead:"

Deanna: Let's have a party!

Daryl: Screw that. I'm going hunting.

Aaron: Me too....

hunting rabbits with 50 ft of rodeo grade rope...just in case 

• Love 5

Regarding the recipe-discussing ladies and whether they've gone through menopause, I don't remember what they looked like, but didn't they look younger than Carol? And MMB was born in May of 1965. Average age of menopause is apparently 51, so obviously, some go through it younger and some older, but Carol (if she's supposed to be the same age as MMB) may be fertile. Not that an older woman would probably want to be pregnant in the ZA with scant medical coverage (I'd freak out if it happened to me now w/excellent medical care available), but I think there might be a number of women in that community still producing eggs.

Actually, what I didn't really see in that community were older people. Deanna and her hubby were the oldest by far, right? White haired ol' ladies and gents need not apply! We already have one older couple running the joint.

• Love 2

Actually, what I didn't really see in that community were older people. Deanna and her hubby were the oldest by far, right? White haired ol' ladies and gents need not apply! We already have one older couple running the joint.

No, there was the couple on the porch that Carl and Judith and then Rick visited on their 1st morning in ASZ.

• Love 4

Is Pete an OB / GYN? All this breeding talk makes me wonder if that is why he was selected for the ASZ.

And Eugene...could be short for eugenics? Oh wow mind blown!

http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walking-dead/episodes/season-5/spend

So people are going outside the walls. They seem to do that an awful lot, don't they? Is that just TPTB trying to keep things from being too claustrophobic?

No, in every camp or shelter they have they leave safety to go outside and let every bad guy and every walker herd within 20 miles know they are there and follow them back to overrun the place.

• Love 5

Ah-ha!!  Here's where the ASZhats surprise CDB... the hidden charges!

That includes the alcohol and food consumed at the party....

Does ASZ have the same "payment system" as Grady Hospital? Rick will man up and "pay" everybody's tab. It could morph into a multi episode arc.

• Love 3

Ah i wish I could live chat but I have to wait my mandatory 20 minutes.  I can't stand commercials and it really kills this show.  Totally stops the pacing.

Are you kidding me :-D?

Maybe for marathoning; but in a live chat the commercials are the only chance to catch up on snarking!!

• Love 8