Type keyword(s) to search

Huh, I Never Knew That: True Facts That I Learned From Watching TV

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Law & Order: Organized Crime. When a detective goes to Long Island it turns out there is also a  Long Island Connecticut.

My dad was born in Grand Rapids Minnesota. Everyone liked to try to correct any of us that said that. Nope we know what the state is thanks!

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 7/6/2017 at 4:25 AM, SVNBob said:

The second one is Radioactive Teenage Mutant Ninja Bikini Girlsharknados with Machine Guns - On Ice! II: Electric Boogaloo.

You are correct - the second movie must always Electric Boogaloo.  Always.  Even Oppenheimer II: Electric Boogaloo.

• Like 3
  • LOL 10
(edited)
23 hours ago, Raja said:

Law & Order: Organized Crime. When a detective goes to Long Island it turns out there is also a  Long Island Connecticut.

Could you explain this?  I grew up in a CT town on the Sound and no one ever referred to it as Long Island (CT).  Long Island (NY) was over there (pointing) across the water.

Edited by Haleth
(edited)
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Could you explain this?  I grew up in a CT town on the Sound and no one ever referred to it as Long Island (CT).  Long Island (NY) was over there (pointing) across the water.

Sure, the detective went over to Long Island and it wasn't NYPD there and by trying Google up comes  a link to a Long Island CT. Figure it like folks finding out there is a Kansas City KS across from the more famous Kansas City MO

Edited by Raja
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

I learned that one should never inflate their emergency life vest before exited a plane which made a water landing/crash from an episode of Air Disasters.  Hopefully I'll never need this information (other than as an answer on Common Knowledge) but it's good to know, I guess.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I learned that one should never inflate their emergency life vest before exited a plane which made a water landing/crash from an episode of Air Disasters. 

I knew that (I'm not sure where I learned it; maybe part of the flight attendants' safety briefing back when I paid attention to those), so I'm always yelling at the passengers who inflate theirs -- or their partner's ("Great, you just killed her!") -- on those type of shows.

(If you inflate it on the plane, and the plane quickly fills with water, good luck getting out with the vest pushing you up against the ceiling.  Plus, you've added bulk when you may have to get out through a small opening, and if you tear the vest, it's not going to be any good once you're in the open water and actually need it.)

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
On 2/26/2024 at 3:17 PM, Bastet said:

I knew that (I'm not sure where I learned it; maybe part of the flight attendants' safety briefing back when I paid attention to those), so I'm always yelling at the passengers who inflate theirs -- or their partner's ("Great, you just killed her!") -- on those type of shows.

(If you inflate it on the plane, and the plane quickly fills with water, good luck getting out with the vest pushing you up against the ceiling.  Plus, you've added bulk when you may have to get out through a small opening, and if you tear the vest, it's not going to be any good once you're in the open water and actually need it.)

Exactly.  I probably knew it from flight attendants' safety briefings as well - I always pay attention to those - but it's been more than a decade since I last was on a plane so I forgot.

22 minutes ago, Quof said:

I'm a horrible flyer, yet I watch a lot of Mayday/Air Disasters. I probably shouldn't. 

I find them comforting. Especially since in the past few seasons they have recycled previously covered incidents into "new" episodes.  There being a lack of new accidents to cover.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Quof said:

I'm a horrible flyer, yet I watch a lot of Mayday/Air Disasters. I probably shouldn't. 

I watch them partly in the hopes that if something does happen while I'm flying, that I'll remember what to do during an emergency from having seen so many instances of it on TV. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

A mile equals 5280 feet, a fact that has occasionally come in handy. 🙂  (It would have been a mile to Shaggy and Scooby's millionth hamburger, iirc.)

The Scooby-Doo Show, Watt A Shocking Ghost

Screenshot_20240229_115841.jpg

Edited by tessaray
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

Watching the Masters of the Air and there was an actual Stalag 13 (Hogan's Heroes) that the airmen POWs spent a small time in when they evacuated Stalag Luft III.  But a difference in that the German Army and not the Air Force  ran Stalag XIII

• Useful 5