Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Bests and Worsts

• Start Topic

Your very 'best' (personal favorite) 3-5 episodes of the whole series? Yes, I'm making us narrow it down to just 3-5 episodes...I get more and more cruel as I age ;) How about your 3-5 LEAST favorites of the whole series, or at least the ones you're least likely to rewatch?

This is hard!

Favorites:

1. They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They

2. Lost and Found

3. There's the Rub

4. Rory's Birthday Parties

Least Favorites:

1. Kayak

2. 21 is the Loneliest Number

3. Vineyard Valentine

4. Kropogs

I could have listed many more in both categories, but I was good and stayed within the parameters of 3 -5. ;-)

Edited by Aloeonatable
  • Love 1

3-5 Special Favorites: (in chronological order only!):

1. Like Mother Like Daughter 

2. Lorelai's Graduation Day 

3. They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?

4. Those Are Strings, Pinocchio 

...I'm actually leaving this fifth spot blank because it's, like, a zillion-way tie :) Depending on my mood, I might choose Rory's Birthday Parties, The Third Lorelai, There's the Rub, I Can't Get Started, Lazy Hazy Crazy, Let the Games Begin, The Fundamental Things Apply, or Come Home. And nearly all of S2 and S3... 

Least Favorites or at least the ones I'm least likely to rewatch (and I'm wishing I could do separate lists for my S1-S4 least favorites, which include P.S. I Lo..., Keg Max, the "Booms" from S4 and a few others, because the below list hails from S5-S7!) Again, in chronological order: 

1. Kropogs 

2. Slipping Em Bread

3. Bridesmaids Revisited 

4. Introducing Lorelai Planetarium 

5. Go Bulldogs 

I'd love to hear more about why these made your lists...meanwhile, I'll attempt to assemble mine :)

I think TSGDT is pretty much a perfect episode in my mind. It has a Stars Hollow "event," really good examples of each of the major characters' personalities, just enough quirk, the Rory/Dean breakup that took too long to happen and finally Jess and Rory acting on their long, aching desire to be together. 

I love Lost and Found for the Lorelai/Jess scenes, both the good and the bad. I love There's the Rub for the Emily/Lorelai back and forth and of course the Rory/Paris/Jess dinner scene which I wish had lasted longer. 

To me, GG is such a good family dramedy. Rory's Birthday Parties is a perfect example of that genre. 

I'll talk about my dislikes later. 

• Love 3

I skipped a few episodes the other day. I can't remmber what they were, though. 

I don't like that April's mum was almost a clone of Lorelai (cool single mum, a store full of things that Lorelai would like, etc).

I don't like Richard's mother. I'm afraid I love the episode of her funeral, because Emily is hilarious. but so sad, too.

But she pulls herself together, and makes sure that her husband is taken care of. 

I like the episode with Jess, Rory, and Paris eating dinner together. I like a lot of the scenes that take place at the house, and show a real friendship moment.

• Love 1

As some of you know, I'm in desperate need of a distraction lately, so who wants to humor me by accepting one of my weird challenges?! (*crickets*) Which are your top 3-5 episodes AND bottom 3-5 episodes from each of the seven seasons??? I'll come back with my own list :) 

Welcome back, ASF! I was thinking about you yesterday and hoping you were doing well.  

This is going to be a challenge. But CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.  I'll just need a little time.

I'm going to do it one season at a time. Because really, I should be working. But where is the fun in that.

Season 1

Best:

1) Cinnamon's Wake - good amount of town kookiness

2) Rory's Birthday Parties - love the town kookiness and the grandparents' world as well. I love Emily realizing she needs to get to know her daughter

3) Kiss and Tell - I have inexplicable love for this episode. All of it.

4) Double Date - I love Sookie and Jackson's date.  

5) Forgiveness and Stuff - solid episode overall

Worst:

1) Christopher Returns - meh

2) Love and Daisies and Troubadours - because a 16 year old girl FINALLY got over her emotional scarring to say "I love you" to her boyfriend of 2 months.  Whatever could possibly take her so long? (eyeroll)

3) Paris is Burning - boring episode

4) The Third Lorelai - meh

S1 3-5 I'm most attached to: 

Rory's Birthday Parties

Double Date

Concert Interruptus

That Damn Donna Reed  

The Third Lorelai 

S1 3-5 I'm least attached to: 

Cinnamon's Wake 

Kiss and Tell

Christopher Returns  

P.S. I Lo...

Loves, Daisies and Troubadours 

S2 3-5 I'm most attached to:

Road Trip to Harvard 

Like Mother Like Daughter 

There's the Rub 

Lorelai's Graduation Day 

I Can't Get Started

S2 3-5 I'm least attached to:

Sadie Sadie 

Nick and Nora 

Ins and Outs of Inns 

It Should Have Been Lorelai 

Help Wanted 

S3 3-5 I'm most attached to:

Oasis (don't even ask!) 

Lazy Hazy Crazy 

They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?

Let the Games Begin  

Those Are Strings, Pinocchio 

S3 3-5 I'm least attached to:

Application Anxiety 

Take the Deviled Eggs

Happy Birthday Baby 

Keg Max 

Here Comes the Son 

S4 3-5 I'm most attached to:

Lorelais' First Day at Yale (despite the many aspects of it that annoy me, including the excessive blathering about the mattress and the embarrassingly ridiculous scenes between Luke and the divorce attorneys) 

The Hobbit, the Sofa and Digger Stiles 

The Fundamental Things Apply 

Die Jerk (again...there's no accounting for taste, right?!) 

S4 3-5 I'm least attached to:

Ted Koppel 

Nag Hammadi 

Girls in Bikinis 

Tick Tick Tick Boom

Afterboom

S5 3-5 I'm most attached to: 

But Not as Cute as Pushkin 

Women of Questionable Morals 

Come Home 

So...Good Talk 

S5 3-5 I'm least attached to:

The Party's Over 

But I'm a Gilmore 

Kropogs 

Blame Booze and Melville 

A House Is Not a Home 

S6 3-5 I'm most attached to: 

The Ungraduate (almost purely because of the Paris-Lorelai scenes!) 

LMHYBRO

The Prodigal Daughter Returns (only because of the reconciliation scene)

Sidekick 

S6 3-5 I'm least attached to (gah, how to narrow it down?!):

Fight Face 

Slipping Em Bread 

Gwen and Gavin 

Bridesmaids Revisited 

Super Cool Party People 

S7 3-5 I'm most attached to:

The Long Morrow 

Whoopee

Santa's Secret Stuff  

Farewell My Pet 

Bon Voyage 

S7 3-5 I'm least attached to:

Go Bulldogs 

Introducing Lorelai Planetarium 

Merry Fisticuffs

To Whom It May Concern

I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia

...I have even odder taste than I had realized :) 

Deaja, I love you for replying and so appreciate the kind words! 

Love and Daisies and Troubadours - because a 16 year old girl FINALLY got over her emotional scarring to say "I love you" to her boyfriend of 2 months.  Whatever could possibly take her so long? (eyeroll)

For your own sanity, don't even get me started on all that! ;) 

For someone with such similar taste in tv shows, we have really differing tastes on particular episodes! :)

Season 2:

Best:

1) A Tisket, A Tasket - I love the auction and the way Miss Patty was trying to set Lorelai up.  

2) There's the Rub - the Emily and Lorelai scenes are hilarious and also show a lot of the underlying issues of their relationship.  Also, I think I would watch a whole show of Jess and Paris sparring.

3) Help Wanted-  Much like "There's the Rub" for Emily and Lorelai, this episode sums up a lot of Lorelai and Richard's issues.  I love his moment of appreciation at the end. I do, however, despise Lorelai making up the outlandish tale of Rory's broken arm because that life or death auto accident involving a bench would be too much for Emily to handle

4) Lorelai's Graduation Day - again, the scenes with her parents where they are equal parts obnoxious and so proud of her sell the show for me

Worst:

1) Teach Me Tonight - I hate this episode so much.  From Lorelai and Christopher acting like a fractured risk is equal to being in a coma to Lorelai screaming at Luke.... ugh. I hate this so much.  It was a teenage car accident.  Do you know why teenagers have higher auto insurance rates? Because they get in stupid car accidents involving benches and trying not to run over small animals! At no point did Jess do anything malicious or even negligent.  Ugh.... the only highlight of this episode is Kirk's movie.

2) I Can't Get Started - this episode does nothing for me.  

3) It Should Have Been Lorelai- I hate this episode so much that I can barely explain why because I haven't seen it that many times.

4) Road Trip to Harvard - Ugh, I completely hated the way the girls acted this whole episode.  They were at their snobby worst and I can't stand it.  No redeeming qualities or scenes, in my opinion.

5) Hammers and Veils - Rory drives me crazy in this one.

For someone with such similar taste in tv shows, we have really differing tastes on particular episodes! :)

Ha! My tastes seem to differ from almost everyone's other than my mother's, so it must be some sort of genetic defect ;) Maybe it's because I'm one of the few GG fans who's not an L/L fan (or much of  Luke fan in general!), or maybe it's because I'm allergic to too very large of the townie quirkiness, or because I love and relate to Rory more than most people here do despite being way (WAY!) older than she is...for whatever combination of reasons and just general oddity, peculiar episodes tend to appeal to me while some of the more popular ones leave me decidedly 'meh.' The important thing here, though, is that we both love Rory's Birthday Parties, Double Date, There's the Rub and Lorelais' Graduation Day...and both of us cringe at the events of the S1 finale :) 

• Love 1

Going to skip season one.

Season Two

Top 3-5

Like Mother, Like Daughter

There's the rub

Nick and Nora, Sid and Nancy

Dead Uncles and Vegtables

Bottom 3-5

Secrets and loans

Lost and found

Richard in stars hollow

Road trip to Harvard

• Love 1

I disliked many of the characters at times, but I hated Taylor every time he was on the screen. And I like Sherilynn Fenn as an actress but it weirded me out that she played Jess' dad's girlfriend AND Luke's former lover.

I just finished watching all 7 seasons - the series finale was perfect.

Edited by anniebird
  • Love 3

Anyone else snowed in and in the mood for a challenge?! Pick just 2-3 of your very favorite and least favorite episodes from each of the seven seasons :) (I thought of challenging everyone to name just ONE favorite from each of the seven seasons, but that's just too cruel!) 

I will take your only one episode challenge.

Best:

Season 1. Forgiveness and Stuff

Season 2. Dead Uncles and Vegetables

Season 3. Tales of Poes and Fires

Season 4. Last week Fights, This Week Thighs

Season 5. Written in the Stars

Season 6. Let Me Hear Your Balalaikas Ring Out

Season 7. Bon Voyage

Worst.

Season 1. Deer Hunters

Season 2 Teach Me Tonight

Season 3. Dear Emily and Richard

Season 4. Die, Jerk!

Season 5. Norman Mailer, I'm Pregnant

Season 6. Partings

Season 7. French Twist

Edited by lulu1960
  • Love 1

Love you for doing this, lulu!!! Though this means I have to suck it up and take the same challenge, doesn't it?! 

Most Favorite:

Season 1: Double Date (Runners up: RBP, CI, TDDR, The Third Lorelai, TLFDAC...) 

Season 2: Lorelai's Graduation Day (An odd choice, I realize! Runners up: LMLD, Road Trip to Harvard, RALB...) 

Season 3: Those Are Strings, Pinocchio (Runners up: TSG,DT?, LHCD, Let the Games Begin...) 

Season 4: The Fundamental Things Apply 

Season 5: Come Home 

Season 6: LMHYBRO 

Season 7: Bon Voyage (Runners up: The Long Morrow, Farewell My Pet, WYBMLG?) 

And it's totally understood that the runners up I listed could all easily move into that top spot if you asked me on a different day, right?! 

Least Favorite: 

Season 1: P.S. I Lo... 

Season 2: Sadie, Sadie 

Season 3: Keg!Max! 

Season 4: The Booms (yes, I know it's kind of cheating to list them as one, but humor me!) 

Season 5: Kropogs (but there are at least 4-5 other episodes I would happily put here!) 

Season 6: Bridesmaids Revisited (So most other S6 episodes do have at least one or two scenes I like...but somehow this whole episode just makes my blood boil!) 

Season 7: Go Bulldogs 

In Season 5 I enjoy Jews and Chinese Food, So, Good Talk. I also actually like Tippecanoe.

Season 6. Fight Face, and 21 is the Loneliest Number.

Season 7. Will You Be My Lorelai Gilmore?, Lorelai? Lorelai? Basically anything after Chris is gone. Although, Unto the Breach is unsatisfing for me. Give me Pinocchio any day.

• Love 1

Ha!!! I had to put on a pair of "thighs" this morning and thought of you guys ;) 

Here's another one: What are some of the scenes/episodes in which our characters (Lorelai, Rory, Luke, Paris, Emily, Richard, Jess, anyone else you feel like singling out!) looked the most gorgeous---in your opinion, that is :) Feel free to provide pictures of the scenes you have in mind! 

• Love 1

Lorelai-Her snow walk in Love, War, and Snow.

Luke-Wool coat with the black gloves in Wedding Bell Blues

Rory- Logan's birthday dinner with his dad. Her hair, dress was gorgeous

Sookie-Not sure the episode I think it was season 3. I believe Lorelai was hemming Rory's dress at the time.

• Love 2

Lorelai - in the Renaissance dress and wreath at Liz's wedding

Jess - the wet t-shirt in the sprinkler scene. I don't even like Jess but I'm only human.

Rory - in that gorgeous gown Logan gave her for "You Jump I Jump, Jack"

Paris - her first date with Jamie

Emily - I can't remember what she was wearing, but I thought she looked so lovely in the scene where she tried to tell Trix that she knows what it's like to be humiliated. She just looked so much softer than usual as she was trying to be both humble and assertive with her feelings.

• Love 2

Iseut, ITA that Wet!Jess! is irresistible :) I also agree that Paris looks gorgeous in LHCDS. And, lulu, that scene from Love and War and Snow is the quintessential Lorelai shot for me---she's glowing and beaming and so gorgeous while surrounded by her beloved precipitation!

For some reason I always loved the way Luke looks when Lorelai wakes him in Tippecanoe and Taylor Too. (I have a great picture of it, but for some reason I can't post it on this site...so for now you'll have to take my word for it until you can pop in your DVD and see it for yourself!) Apparently I 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 2

I agree with a lot of the ones above. New entries!

Lorelai: I think she looks adorable at FDN in PS I Lo... LG really works like this Good Girl 1960s-esque drag of short skirt, little tight blue sweater, and wide headband with her hair curly (which I vastly prefer to her straight hair). Also, the 1940s drag in They Shoot Gilmores (which Alexis didn't pull off nearly as well!) Someone should cast LG in a mid-20th century screwball comedy period piece! 

Rory: At the Haunted Leg FDN with a blue sweater (again) and this interesting skirt with a swirly pattern and her hair pulled back with a headband. Actually, it's a really simple outfit but I concur with Logan that angry is a good look on Rory and she got very attractively angry at Christopher and fetchingly angry at Jess in that ep. OK- another entry for being the loveliest person on the show. Her blue diaphanous dress that she wore to the Huntzbergers for the first time in But I'm a Gilmore. And unlike many fans, it's not even spoiled for me by allegations that she was being snotty or obnoxious to use her family or noticing the Velasquez as a point in her favor. I think she's so beautiful AND sympathetic in that ep. 

Emily: It's hard to pick. I do think S2 is her best looking season. I think there's something particularly cute about her when she's excitedly trying to arrange which Gilmore corpse gets what spot in their mausoleum. ;-)

Luke: I thought he looked great at Rory's 21st birthday parties. However, I do get guilty for adding YET ANOTHER non-scruffy Luke option since his scruffiness is part of why I love him. However....yeah, it's a uniform and hard to pick an entry. I think he and Lorelai really set each other off nicely in the chuppah delivery scene as they both sit, all casual and jeans-clad.

Jess: This is hard- I think Milo really looks exquisite throughout S2-3- and then S4 and S6 are an aesthetic decline even if it's a maturity/emotional ascendance- ain't that the conundrum! He's very good at on-screen kisses- there's something particularly delectable about his and Rory's mobile-make-out-sesh in That'll Do Pig.

Christopher: Definitely dancing with Lorelai to "The Way You Look Tonight." I hate Christopher but I really get the squeeing over that scene. 

Dean: I can't get over how JP has the ingredients to be My Type but there's something off-putting about him so I'm never into him. I guess his peak was when he was watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- but even then, I'm second guessing whether I'm admiring him in that scene too much because of all of Rory's advertising of his supposedly perfect looks. 

Paris: Aw, I can totally see her breaking hearts in that Yale Blind Date Session from a combination of her voluptuous beauty at its height in that scene along with her miserable, mean, abrasive personality ALSO at its height until she got to Doyle. 

It's impossible to pick for Richard. It all comes down to personality- but I really can't grade his looks. He was particularly cute at the Yale v. Harvard tailgate party. 

Marty: LOL, but really when he was Naked Guy. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 2

I so agree that Rory/AB looks particularly stunning in blue. Lorelai tends to look extraordinary in red or pink IMO.

And, Melancholy, I'm so glad I'm not alone in preferring Lorelai's hair curly or at least wavy rather than straight! It looks more natural and somehow more HER than when it's pin straight and flat. Similarly, I'm not sure whether I'm 'eh' on Rory's bangs because of the hair itself (the bangs swallow her tiny face!) or because I associate that style with a time when Rory is a little less relatable to me. I also love both Lorelai and Rory in headbands for some reason...maybe I'm just envious since I can't pull off a headband :) 

I also really like the way both Luke and Lorelai look in Double Date for some reason. 

• Love 1

I may be biased as a curly girl myself, but I think both Lorelai and Rory look better with some curl! They gave Rory quite a bit of curl in Season 5, and I think those are her best looks. The curl is used to especially cute effect in her best man outfit at the vow renewal.

• Love 3

I also have a curly girl bias. But I think Rory looks about equally good with her S1-3 long straight hair (with an edge for S3's layers making her look even better) and her S5 shoulder length hair which looked awesome in curls. Next, was her S4 bob which was cute but I prefer her hair longer. I agree with amensisterfriend that I didn't care for the bangs and IMO messiness of her S6-7 hair, even though she, of course, still looked beautiful then. I also didn't like the S6-7 hair as much because AB lightened her hair a tad to more of a chestnut brown than a dark brown. I like the clearer contrast between her dark hair and alabaster skin/blue eyes. 

However, I overwhelmingly prefer Lorelai's hair curly. Her uber-long, uber-straight hair in S4 was her worst look. This show was very good with curls on the ladies. I thought Sookie looked best in S3 when her hair was slightly curly. 

I feel bad that I didn't put in a bid for Lane Kim. Her red sweater, short skirt outfit in The Break Up Part II when she danced with Henry Cho. 

• Love 1

I think Lorelai looked especially beautiful in Luke's dream after Rory's graduation. Luke looked very handsome at Rory's bonvoyage party. SP is a good looking man most of the time, but sometimes he didn't look so good.

I think Lorelai looked especially beautiful in Luke's dream after Rory's graduation. Luke looked very handsome at Rory's bonvoyage party. SP is a good looking man most of the time, but sometimes he didn't look so good.

• Love 1

Going off on a slight tangent here, I'll just focus on Emily. I too think she looked her best in the second season. However, of all the female characters, I  thought she was the one worst served by the show's costumers and hair stylists. And by Miss Celine.

Kelly Bishop is an attractive woman, with a nice figure and great gams - as befits a renowned Broadway hoofer.  Yet  Emily was rarely seen to an impressive  effect as a good-looking,  authoritative,  immaculately coiffed and groomed upper class New England matron. I still cringe at  the godawful ensemble she wore at the vow renewal - and her hair on that occasion was no better, And even more to be hoped, why  were we never  given  a glimpse of  the former siren who lured Richard away from Pennilyn Lott? 

To me, her costuming seemed more of an afterthought - not integral to the conveying much about the character. Now obviously, Lorelai and Rory deserved and received far more attention in this area. But I thought the wardrobe people and related stylists could have done more with and for Emily.

Going off on a slight tangent here, I'll just focus on Emily. I too think she looked her best in the second season. However, of all the female characters, I  thought she was the one worst served by the show's costumers and hair stylists. And by Miss Celine.

Kelly Bishop is an attractive woman, with a nice figure and great gams - as befits a renowned Broadway hoofer.  Yet  Emily was rarely seen to an impressive  effect as a good-looking,  authoritative,  immaculately coiffed and groomed upper class New England matron. I still cringe at  the godawful ensemble she wore at the vow renewal - and her hair on that occasion was no better, And even more to be hoped, why  were we never  given  a glimpse of  the former siren who lured Richard away from Pennilyn Lott? 

To me, her costuming seemed more of an afterthought - not integral to the conveying much about the character. Now obviously, Lorelai and Rory deserved and received far more attention in this area. But I thought the wardrobe people and related stylists could have done more with and for Emily.

I agree. Emily's uniform of a Chanel-esque skirt suit got boring in a hurry. Her hair was consistently terrible in S1 and S5-6. Most of Emily's clothes looked expensive and appropriate for her events- but it was very underwhelming for such a beautiful, sparkling older woman who spent a lot of time on her clothes and hair. Plus Emily always seemed like she was SUPPOSED to have good taste. IMO, she should have been dressed more like Diane Lockhart on The Good Wife- also an older woman who also wasn't out to push any envelopes and really had a dress code but who always looks elegant and beautiful and like she really knows how to put an ensemble together with some creativity and thought beyond just throwing on a Chanel knockoff every day. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 2
I agree. Emily's uniform of a Chanel-esque skirt suit got boring in a hurry. Her hair was consistently terrible in S1 and S5-6. Most of Emily's clothes looked expensive and appropriate for her events- but it was very underwhelming for such a beautiful, sparkling older woman who spent a lot of time on her clothes and hair. Plus Emily always seemed like she was SUPPOSED to have good taste. IMO, she should have been dressed more like Diane Lockhart on The Good Wife- also an older woman who also wasn't out to push any envelopes and really had a dress code but who always looks elegant and beautiful and like she really knows how to put an ensemble together with some creativity and thought beyond just throwing on a Chanel knockoff every day.

Hee.  I would love a Kelly Bishop/Christine Baranski pairing of some kind in a drama or sitcom.  I thought Emily's outfits made sense for Emily.  To me, Emily was the kind of person who found an outfit she looked good in, and bought it in fifteen different colors.  She wasn't someone who was flashy or was in touch with the latest styles.  She had a very conservative, yet classic, look that she maintained.   

• Love 3

The one outfit I always thought she looked pretty in was very casual. It was a white blouse with leaf embellishments. She accessorized it with a long chain. It was when she was giving Lorelai the code for the panic room.

The one outfit I always thought she looked pretty in was very casual. It was a white blouse with leaf embellishments. She accessorized it with a long chain. It was when she was giving Lorelai the code for the panic room.

• Love 1

While I think the wardrobes of all the characters were really poor in the first season, I think Emily suffered the most in that season. Her style appeared to be 20 years behind everyone else's. And not in a "classic" kind of way but more in a frumpy old woman kind of way.

timimouse, I thought Rory looked great in that outfit at the vow renewal. I only wish  a quarter of the amount of time and effort had been put into determining Emily's ensemble and hairstyle for the event.

Here's a picture of the wedding outfit.  Based on the commentary, I was expecting to be horrified.  It isn't my favorite look, but is it really all that terrible?   

gilmore-girls-wedding-bell-blues-19.jpg

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1
I think that with Miss Celine bringing a couple of hundred possibilities, it could have been a whole lot better.

I'll give you that.  It's not a very exciting look. 

Of course, the true horror was Lorelai's dress.

wedding_bell_blues.jpgheader__span.png

I think the real horror was the jacket/vest garb she wears with the dress.  It was gaudy, and a very strange choice.  The dress itself is okay, if probably too revealing of Lorelai's decolletage for that particular event, so I see why she was in the jacket. 

Edited by txhorns79