Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Bests and Worsts

• Start Topic

While Lorelai's dress just wrinkles strangely and the straps always look like they're on the verge of slipping down.  Just not attractive.

When I look at Rory's dance dress, I think the costumers made all three of these dresses a little dysfunctional in order to emphasize the homemade nature of the product. Rory's dance dress had a little bump right in the front of the collar. 

Apparently Lorelai did a better job of adapting regular clothes, since the dresses she modified for Emily's Rory party seemed to be perfect, if a little weird.

I thought Rory's dance dress was beautiful and perfectly suited for a 16 year old's first dance.

• Love 1

It's weird, because objectively I think Lorelai's outfit in WBB is kind of hideous, but I think somehow she looks gorgeous anyway. 

Junie, that picture of SleepyLuke from Tippecanoe is my favorite all time shot of hatless Luke! 

Now that I've seen Matt C's hair as a more natural, softer looking brown in The Good Wife, I find myself wishing he had worn his hair closer to that color as Logan...and in a slightly less spiky, boy band-y style :) 

I thought Rory's dance dress was beautiful and perfectly suited for a 16 year old's first dance.

I thought her dance dress was pretty, but not special enough for anyone other than her doting crowd to comment on LOL.  It especially was not something that Madeline and Louise would have made a point to compliment her on, IMO.

• Love 1

Can we file the brown dress Rory wore (that I believe was also a Lorelai) to Honor's wedding under "the worst"? I mean, it's not helped by Rory's terrible posture, but: come on. 

6_16.JPG

I can't find a full-length picture, but: brown sack!

• Love 2

I actually really like that brown dress! It reminds me of the style of dress in a Jane Austen book.

The best Rory has ever looked for me was at Mia's wedding in Gilmore Girls Only...I just watched this one the other day and I never noticed that Rory has kind of a rockin nod goin on! I can't find a full length screenshot but here's the top half

258.jpg

EDIT: I can't get the dang image tag to work! :(

Edited by yeswedo
fixed image link

I mean, it's not helped by Rory's terrible posture, but: come on.

Rory's posture and Lorelei's awkward body movements are the WORST for me! There are a couple of scenes with Rory where I swear she's suffering from severe scoliosis. Lorelei's pigeon toed walk and the twitchy way she puts her hair behind her ear totally bug me. Lorelei's hair bugs me too. There are very few episodes where I think "Lorelei's hair looks good here".

I actually really like that brown dress! It reminds me of the style of dress in a Jane Austen book.

The best Rory has ever looked for me was at Mia's wedding in Gilmore Girls Only...I just watched this one the other day and I never noticed that Rory has kind of a rockin nod goin on! I can't find a full length screenshot but here's the top half

258.jpg

EDIT: I can't get the dang image tag to work! :(

Fixed the image link - see this post for more info on images.

I just saw a fan survey for another show I watch and thought it would be fun to revive polls and surveys here :) Here are a few basic ones, but feel free to add your own new questions! 

1. Who are your five favorite characters?

2. Who are your five LEAST favorite characters?

3. What are your three favorite romantic relationships throughout the series?

4. What are your three LEAST favorite romantic relationships throughout the series?

5. What are your five favorite non-romantic relationships? (Friendships, familial relationships, etc.)

6. Name one hypothetical romantic pairing that you might have liked to see.

7. Rank all seven seasons from favorite to least favorite---no ties :)

8. If you could keep just 15 episodes, they would be___

Have fun! 

...It's fun to see how some of my opinion have---and haven't---changed since I first became addicted to the series! 

In no special order: Paris, Rory...er...can I maybe just end the list here for now?! 

Liz, TJ, Colin, Anna, Dean 

You guys know by now that I'm not a fan of the way GG writes/directs romantic relationships, but in terms of couples who I felt had some chemistry/connection/compatibility, I guess I'll go with Jess/Rory, Lorelai/Christopher, Logan/Rory...or maybe just Paris/Asher by default! :)  

4. What are your three LEAST favorite romantic relationships throughout the series?

Rory/Dean, Lorelai/Max, Luke/Lorelai (in part because the reality of L/L fell so very short of my once high expectations!)

5. What are your five favorite non-romantic relationships? (Friendships, familial relationships, etc.)

Lorelai/Rory, Paris/Rory, Richard/Rory, Luke/Jess....I'll have to steal an additional one from you guys! 

Paris/Jess! And maybe Paris with a much-reformed Tristan :) 

In order of personal preference, not objective quality:

1. S2

2. S3

3. S4

4. S7 

5. S1

6. S5

7. S6

...though S1, S4 and S7 are all sort of tied for different reasons or me, and at this point I'd be pretty much fine limiting myself to just S2-S3 in most of my rewatches, albeit with some individual exceptions...(See the episode list below!) Still, it kind of stuns me how much S7 has improved for me, if only by default, and how much S1 and S4 have faded in my mind. I actually really like the way DR wrote Christopher/Lorelai for their first several episodes, thought this was by far the most likable Logan and Logan/Rory ever were, etc. S1 is too cutesy, features Lorelai at her most obnoxiously immature and vain and gives us WAY too much Dean and Max, while S4 is kind of flat, lacking GG's typical exuberant charm and marks the beginning of the decline of characters like Rory and Sookie. Plus, the affair with Dean and the buildup to it are just awful for me, as is the way they wrote off Digger and the typical angry, I-don't-get-you misunderstanding that leads to Luke and Lorelai's first kiss and ends up characterizing most of their relationship for me. 

In chronological order:

1. Rory's Birthday Parties

2. Road Trip to Harvard

3. Like Mother Like Daughter

4. Run Away Little Boy 

5. There's the Rub (I'd have to skip through a few tiresome Emily/Lorelai scenes and RagingDean scenes...but the Paris/Jess/Rory scenes are all-time favorites!) 

6. Lorelai's Graduation Day

7. I Can't Get Started

8. Lazy Hazy Crazy Days

9. Oasis (yeah, I know...don't ask!)

10. They Shoot Gilmores

11. Let the Games Begin

12. Those Are Strings, Pinocchio  

13. Farewell My Pet

14. Bon Voyage (I'm so pathetically sappy!) 

15. ____ (depending on my mood, this could be filled with one of at least 40 episodes!) 

9. Gilmore Girls characters I'd genuinely like and click with in real life:

Early Seasons Rory, Digger and...and...*crickets chirping* 

I'll bite!  

Lorelai, Paris, Emily, Luke, Rory, honorable mention Gypsy

Lorelai, Zach, Headmaster Charleston, Jackson, Taylor

Miss Patty and that guy who interrupted a town hall meeting to pick her up for a date once, Babette/Morey, Andrew and his girlfriend he always fights with at the dance-off

Luke/Lorelai except for Written in the Stars, the episode where they finally do it, Paris/Asher (gross), Jackson/Sookie

Paris/Rory, Lane/Rory, Paris/her nanny, Jason Stiles/Lorelai (I head-ship them as quippy friends who happened to have sex a bunch), Luke/Rory

Michel and Gypsy. Opposites attract.

this changes daily so I'm gonna take a pass, sorry. I'd put season 1 higher than a lot of people here, and season 6 would be the very bottom.

that's like picking favorite children!

Oh I left off 9.

Maybe Luke? I am pretty grouchy at times. But would two grouches just out-grouch each other?

I could picture getting along with Marty.

• Love 2
I'd put season 1 higher than a lot of people here, and season 6 would be the very bottom.

I actually think a lot of people absolutely LOVE S1, so you're in good company! Despite my own already whined about issues with it, S1 has so much going for it---not the least of which is that it's actually the only season during which Luke still seems like a sharp, smart, compelling character to me and when he and Lorelai seem to have the most chemistry :) And lord knows ranking S6 last is a supremely popular opinion...and one that I share! 

Name one hypothetical romantic pairing that you might have liked to see.

Michel and Gypsy. Opposites attract.

Heh---true, but I found they're not so compatible in the long run! I actually like your choice a lot, though :) In addition to the aforementioned Paris/Jess pairing, I kind of always wanted Gypsy/Luke---I think they're a far, far, FAR better match than Luke/Lorelai. And an even more warped part of me wanted Michel to have a temporary but highly amusing fling with Taylor. 

Jason Stiles/Lorelai (I head-ship them as quippy friends who happened to have sex a bunch)

Ha! As I've rambled about before, I think they were in many ways the show's most compatible couple in so many ways, despite my not happening to think they had much romantic chemistry...so my own had canon is that Jason was a distant Gilmore cousin who popped up a few times per season :) 

What are your three LEAST favorite romantic relationships throughout the series?

Luke/Lorelai except for Written in the Stars,

You know I agree they sucked as a romantic couple, but your 'except for WitS' qualification started me thinking about the very, very few episodes during which they actually work as a connected, semi-happy couple for me...maybe 21ITLN and the last scene of Tippecanoe and...and...yeah, that may be it :) 

Jackson/Sookie

I don't love them nearly as much as most do either. Just what we need on this show...another couple of yellers with short tempers who are forever freaking out and carrying on! 

Miss Patty and that guy who interrupted a town hall meeting to pick her up for a date once, Babette/Morey, Andrew and his girlfriend he always fights with at the dance-off

Okay, this is one of the most hilarious answers I've ever seen! This says so very, very much about how abysmally this show does romance :) 

I kind of love how Lorelai made both your favorites AND least favorites lists. I totally get it! And you reminded me that Zach was VERY close to making my least favorites list as well---I loathed him through much of S4-S6, but he got more tolerable for me in S7. And I like Liz, TJ, Dean, Colin and Anna/April (and their effects on the show) even less. 

Edited by amensisterfriend

Kirk/Lulu is a pretty sweet couple. It's just hard to understand Lulu's motivation...

Jackson/Sookie is so alien to me. I mean, fighting is foreplay for them. Maybe that actually happens, but it seems like such a cheesy sitcom/dramedy trope.

• Love 1
Jackson/Sookie is so alien to me. I mean, fighting is foreplay for them. Maybe that actually happens, but it seems like such a cheesy sitcom/dramedy trope.

So true...and this also explains why Luke/Lorelai doesn't work for me. As you noted, it's such a tired 'rom com' trope---constant bickering and a depressing inability to see eye to eye means you're destined to be! I never really connected with that whole 'constant anger/annoyance/misunderstandings = chemistry' thing, but AS-P seems to be a fan :) 

I know I've probably done a similar listing before but I'll go for it. Maybe some of my answers have changed.

1) 5 favorite characters in no particular order: Rory (seasons 1 - 4.5); Lorelai, sometimes; Jess, most of the time; Paris; Emily, just because of the actress.

2) 5 least favorite characters, also not in order: Colin/Finn; TJ; Liz; Taylor; and Jackson.

3) My 3 favorite romantic relationships throughout the series are: Lane/Dave; Morey/Babette; Jess/Rory, for their chemistry (more about them later.)

4) My 3 least favorite romantic relationships: Rory/Tristan even though it was one-sided; Rory/Logan, didn't like much of how she devolved; and Sookie/Jackson.

5) Favorite non romantic relationships: Luke/Jess (probably my favorite of the show; Rory/Lorelai with all its complexity; Jess/Rory before they became a couple and after he moved to Philly; Jess/Paris.

6) Hypothetical romantic relationship: Jess/Paris. Sparks!

7) 2,3,1,4,5,6,7

8) Episodes I would keep: Rory's Birthday Parties; Like Mother, Like Daughter; Forgiveness and Stuff; Nick & Nora/Sid & Nancy; Bracebridge; There's the Rub; Lorelai's Graduation Day; They Shoot Gilmores; Let the Games Begin; I Can't Get Started; Last Week's Fights, This Week's Tights; Bon Voyage; and maybe the Pilot.

9) Who I would (might) click with in real life: probably no one. I know, sad, since I love this show.

• Love 1

It's kind of ridiculous how much I love reading everyone's answers! 

Rory (seasons 1 - 4.5);

Ha---I love how we all make that distinction :) 

5 least favorite characters, also not in order: Colin/Finn; TJ; Liz; Taylor; and Jackson

Woo hoo---I love knowing I'm not alone in hating TJ, Liz and Colin! ;) I'm actually surprised that Jackson pops up on a lot of lists. (I think he's somewhere in the middle for me, though I do enjoy him less and less with subsequent rewatches)

Jess/Rory, for their chemistry (more about them later.)

That's the thing---for pure chemistry, I always end up thinking that Jess/Rory and Christopher/Lorelai had by far the most, even when I don't WANT to think that :) Obviously mileages vary! 

Hypothetical romantic relationship: Jess/Paris. Sparks!

How much do I love that I'm not the only one who not-so-secretly adores the idea of them as a couple?! I loathe the thought of Paris and Rory ever competing for a guy, but in an alt-universe where Rory and Jess never got together OR even in this universe if Rory had very happily moved on several years ago, I think Jess/Paris would be fantastic---hilarious, a perfect blend of similarities and differences, and both with a hidden vulnerability underneath their prickliness. 

Who I would (might) click with in real life: probably no one. I know, sad, since I love this show.

LOL! It seriously cracks me up that even many of us who are pretty hardcore fans and find many of these people interesting, amusing fictional characters have decided we would more or less loathe the majority of the GG-verse in reality :) 

No particular order: Babette, Richard, Rory, Sookie, Lane
Taylor, Logan's stupid friends, Kirk, Michele, Jackson (sooooooo whiny!) Bonus Round: Liz and TJ
Lorelai and Christopher (I thought they had good chemistry together), Kirk and Lulu (although I can't stand him as a character), Lane and that guy from the OC--didn't they go to prom together? I remember him asking Mrs. Kim and reading the bible all night. I thought that was cute.
Luke and Lorelai--I go back and forth on them, Rory and Jess, Sookie and Jackson
Zach (not sure how his name is spelled) and Mrs. Kim, Lorelai and Sookie (I can't really think of others that I *really* liked)
I can't think of any!
Haven't seen them all yet

See #7

• Love 1
Logan's stupid friends

Ha!!! Yes, I often think about how much sooner and more I would have liked Logan if they had had him choose to hang out with people who weren't quite so punch-worthy. 

Luke and Lorelai--I go back and forth on them, Rory and Jess, Sookie and Jackson

It's so fun to see how new people view the show and how veterans' opinions change with time---while the show was airing, pretty much every single online GG fan (except me!) adored Luke/Lorelai and Sookie/Jackson, and now they've already ended up on a few "least favorite" lists. 

Lane and that guy from the OC--didn't they go to prom together? I remember him asking Mrs. Kim and reading the bible all night. I thought that was cute.

Ha---yes, that's Dave Rygalski, but Guy from OC works just fine :) 

Ok, I'll bite (warning - unpopular opinions ahead!):

Paris, Lane, Gil (Sebastian Bach!), Luke, Richard (with bonus: Babette and Morey)

Michel, Kirk, the Korean exchange student (i.e., "Replacement Lane"), April, Christopher

Lane and Dave, Rory and Logan, Paris and Doyle (krav maga!)

Rory and Dean (2.0), Sookie and Jackson, Luke and Wife (whatever her name was)

Lorelai and Dean; Luke and Rory; Richard and Rory; Richard and Lorelai (not that it's a good relationship, just that I enjoyed watching them spar/make up, etc); and Paris and Rory

Dean and Lindsay - I think it would have been WAY MORE INTERESTING to have Rory be sad and wistful when Dean got married and navigated a way to still be friends instead of the crazy, ill-fated adultery storyline that we got instead.

My memory is not sharp enough to answer either of these questions!

9. If I could hang out with Logan IRL, I think it'd be fun - who doesn't want to be swept along with someone who has basically unlimited funds?

• Love 1
Ok, I'll bite (warning - unpopular opinions ahead!):

I love when people chime in! I actually found your opinions pretty popular---or at least more popular than most of mine which, admittedly, isn't saying all that much :) 

Luke and Wife (whatever her name was)

LOL---Nicole, but I think the fact that you can't recall her name says an awful lot about how well-defined and memorable the character was :) 

Paris and Rory

Amen! 

• Love 1

Reading these, I'm actually pretty surprised more people aren't listing April in their "least favorite characters" list - although I guess if we have some newer fans, they may not have gotten there yet! 

April doesn't bother me.  She's a bit precocious, but she is young so it's to be expected.  The storyline is, of course, absurd, but I'm able to separate the storyline from the character.

When I think of the series as a whole, April is kind of a brief speck I can sort of ignore. And it's Anna I really dislike anyway. April is contrived but i dunno, she's not actively evil.

Yeah, I never saw April as evil but she was contrived just like the complete "secret daughter" story idea that gave us April and Anna "She's all mine!" character.

Loved reading everyone's answers!

Lane, Kirk (except when he was being an asshole to Luke about buying the Twickham house), Luke, miss Patty, Michele and bonus Gil. And Brian.

LIZ AND TJ ESPECIALLY TJ

Babette, Anna, Lorelai

Kirk/Lulu, Paris/Doyle, Lane/music

Lorelai/everyone, Rory/Jess, Liz/TJ (I really hate them)

Luke/Lorelai, Emily/Rory, Babette/Miss Patty, Rory/Paris, Madeline/Louise

Sookie/Joe from the Deer Hill Lodge

Super hard to say, but 7 is my least fave because of the married to Chris arc. Waste of time IMO but oh well.

Cannot choose! Also can't remember all the titles, some of them are kinda long

9. I would love to hang out with pre-Davy Sookie, Lane...pretty much all the townies except Taylor and Bootsie.

Edited by JennDear77
  • Love 1

Paris, Emily, Luke, Jess, and Lane. 

Christopher, Mitchum, Sherry, Dean, Colin

Rory and Jess, Sookie and Jackson, Emily and Richard

Lorelai and Christopher, Lorelai and Jason, Rory and Dean (the second time)

Lorelai and Rory, Jess and Luke, Paris and Rory, Kirk and Taylor (it cracks me up how Taylor uses him for everything, despite how much Kirk annoys him.), Rory and Richard. 

Gran and Taylor (I really have no idea, just thought that would be funny.)

Gonna skip these two for now, as I'm short on time. 

Jess or Lane.

P.S. I think I'm the only person who likes Liz and TJ!

Edited by ghoulina

P.S. I think I'm the only person who likes Liz and TJ!

Me, me, me!  I love Liz, and I like TJ because he makes Liz happy.  :)

I think we may be the only two, though.  >.<

• Love 1

Lorelai, Lane, Sookie (early seasons), Paris, Luke

Rory (I have complicated feelings about Rory as a character overall, though), Logan, Anna, T.J., sometimes Emily in the later seasons

Lane/Zach (this is not endorsement of Lane's pregnancy storyline, however ;)), Luke/Lorelai, Sookie/Jackson & Babette/Morey are tied

Luke/Lorelai, Rory/Logan (I don't actually hate Logan, I just didn't think his presence brought anything actually good to the show), probably Rory/Jess

Paris/Rory, Lorelai/Rory, Lorelai/Luke, Lane/her band, Emily/Richard (obviously they are romantic, but I enjoy them as a partnership in general), Babette/Miss Patty, Luke/Jess, I'm sure there are more.

Paris and anybody Paris didn't actually date on the show; I think Jess would be interesting, but there are plenty of other guys I think they could've brought on that Paris would've clicked with.

1, 2, 4, 3, 5, 7, 6

These change pretty frequently, and are not necessarily the ones I find myself rewatching the most right now, but they're the ones I think I'd want to have:

Love and War and Snow

Forgiveness and Stuff

The Breakup, Part 2

Red Light on the Wedding Night

A-Tisket, A-Tasket

Dead Uncles and Vegetables

One's Got Class and the Other One Dyes

They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?

A Deep-Fried Korean Thanksgiving

A Tale of Poes and Fire

The Lorelais' First Day at Yale

Last Weeks Fights, This Weeks Tights

Raincoats and Recipes

Pulp Friction

Bon Voyage

Man, I feel like there's so much wavering and conditions in my answers to the first few questions. This show does that to me.

• Love 1

Does anyone have nominations for favorite/surprisingly awesome scenes from episodes you otherwise don't like?! A few that spring to mind:

Lorelai and Rory finally, excitedly rehashing Rory's first kiss in Kiss and Tell

Rory and Paris bonding over pizza and Bill Moyers in Girls in Bikinis

Rory and Logan jumping in YJIJJ

Rory and Lorelai being questioned by the reverend in Always a Godmother, Never a God 

Jess giving Rory a much-needed "is this really who you are?!" reality check in LMHYBRO 

---I'm sure there are a million more, but it's been a long time since I've rewatched the GG episodes I don't love, so it's hard to recall specific scenes :) How about you guys? Or, alternatively, are there scenes that stand out as terrible in episodes you otherwise love?! 

Interesting picks! Do you guys agree with these??? 

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/10/09/gilmore-girls-best-episodes

...and of course it challenged me to try to pick just one favorite from each season, which is just the sort of delightful torture I enjoy.

As always, I'm going for the ones I personally find myself wanting to rewatch over the ones I objectively think are the 'best' (so, for example, I think Say Something is one of the best written and acted episodes of the whole series, but I don't especially enjoy rewatching it!)

S1: Double Date

S2: Like Mother, Like Daughter (runner up: Lorelai's Graduation Day...and, like, 90% of the season)

S3: Those Are Strings, Pinocchio (runner up: They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They? Or Lazy Hazy Crazy or Let the Games Begin or...)

S4: I'll go with the Entertainment Weekly writers on this one and pick The Lorelais' First Day at Yale, the one I'm most attached to despite the aspects of that episode that annoy me (runner up: The Fundamental Things Apply)

S5: Come Home (runner up: But Not as Cute As Pushkin...which I used to love more than I do now!)

S6: Hmmm...I'll surprise myself and go for LMHYBRO---it's got a few of the only S6 L/L scenes that I love, and on rewatch I actually love Jess's return and the effect it has on Rory. (Runner up: I Get a Sidekick Out of You...or maybe 21ITLN. Gah. After a recent rewatch I'm revising some of my S6-related opinions, so this one is especially tough!)

S7: Bon Voyage (Runners up: Will You Be My Lorelai Gilmore? Or Farewell My Pet or Whoopee or The Long Morrow!)   

• Love 1

EW's list - Wow. So wrong IMO.

My list (already different from the list I wrote earlier today on another thread; so sue me)

1. Forgiveness
  2. Dead Uncles
  3. Let the Games Begin
  4. Fundamental Things Apply
  5. You Jump, I Jump
  6. Always a Godmother, Never a God
  7. Long Morrow
  • Love 2
Long Morrow

I think this is a surprisingly awesome episode as well, though I'm kind of surprised that a diehard Java Junkie would pick this as a favorite :) 

Always a Godmother, Never a God

This one is always so much better than I think it is---yes, Lorelai is AWFUL at the baptism, but other than that the episode is surprisingly smart, funny and interesting. 

Let the Games Begin

I love that you share my fondness for this one :) 

Fundamental Things Apply

...and this one! I was thisclose to selecting it over TLFDAY. 

I think this is a surprisingly awesome episode as well, though I'm kind of surprised that a diehard Java Junkie would pick this as a favorite :) 

Easy. Second best Luke drama and acting since his big argument with Jess in Say Goodnight, Gracie. It's the quiet moments that push this one ahead over Riding a Bike:

- facing Lorelai - nothing to do or say, just show us how he's receiving the news that Lorelai has broken up with him, and later the destruction of the diner.

I love how people with disparate tastes can love the same episodes!

I'm going to try to do this as objectively as possible....meaning, list the one episode each season that I think really encompasses the heart of Gilmore Girls, not necessarily which episodes *I* enjoy the most.

1.  The Pilot - like the EW article said, this one sets up the town, the characters, and the central theme of GG....and it does it all beautifully.

2.  Bracebridge Dinner - because you have a little bit of everything and everybody that makes SH a magical place in this one.  Zany (but not overly so) townies, Sookie at her funniest, elder Gilmores with their own storyline (and not just there to bicker with Lorelai, which I appreciate), the seeds of Christopher/Sherry/Lorelai discord very subtly being sown, Luke & Lorelai being slightly flirty but mostly just good friends who can really talk to each other, Dean being shuffled to the background even though Rory doesn't realize she's doing it, Jess being great with both Luke and Rory, Mrs. Kim being hilarious.......it's all golden.

3.  Let the Games Begin - even though this is the first ep with Rory and Jess as a couple, the focus is all about the Gilmores and I love every bit of it.  You know how sometimes there's just one moment in your life that's really "big" even though it's a small thing?  I think Rory's reason for being upset over the Yale interview was one of those moments.  I think that's when Richard really started to see that Rory is not just Lorelai version 2.0.

4.  Raincoats & Recipes - this episode is the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.  Not only is it the fulfillment of Lorelai's longtime dream and the beginning of a new relationship for her and Luke, it's also the moment that she realizes Rory is capable of making some really, really stupid decisions.  The angel of Stars Hollow is wearing a very tarnished halo, and that's a shocking thing for Lorelai to realize.

5.  Wedding Bell Blues - I know I'm supposed to hate Chris in this one, but I can't.  I pity the guy.  I like Rory being brave and making a real move with Logan, while retaining her endearing awkwardness.  "Grandma wants a picture."  "Of this?!?"  Luke and Lorelai make me sad, but I find their fight and the reasons for it very believable.

6.  I Get A Sidekick Out Of You - Because I need a bit of happiness in S6 and this is pretty much the only episode that makes me happy.  Also because I love Hep Alien and this is everything that's the best of them.

7.  Bon Voyage - Because they did a good job getting back to the roots of this show in this one, and it was a perfectly bittersweet ending to a perfectly bittersweet show.

• Love 5

This is really difficult! I'm going with the ones that I most enjoy re-watching (over and over and over again...) :)

1. Concert Interruptus - I know, I know...this isn't one of the best episodes, but it will always hold a special place in my heart because it was the first full episode I ever watched and the one that got me hooked.

2. I Can't Get Started - Jess and Rory!  (Honourable mention goes to Bracebridge Dinner, There's the Rub, Lorelai's Graduation Day, and...basically every other season two episode ;) )

3. They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They? - Jess and Rory!

4. Last Week Fights, This Week Tights - Luke and Lorelai!  (Honourable mention goes to Luke Can See Her Face and Girls in Bikinis, Boys Doing the Twist)

5. A Messenger, Nothing More - I don't know why. I just enjoy it more than the rest of season five.

6. Let Me Hear Your Balalaikas Ring Out - I love Jess being the one to talk some sense into Rory.

7. Bon Voyage - I know a lot of fans were disappointed by this finale but I thought it was a fitting ending. (Honourable mention to Lorelai? Lorelai? and Unto the Breach)

• Love 3

Since Luke/Lorelai don't seem to have their own thread, I figured I'd ask this here: Which are your personal 'best' post-Trilogy Luke/Lorelai scenes? You guys know I felt they usually lacked joy, connection, compatibility and chemistry once they became a couple, but I always love being wrong :) So tell me the S5-S7 L/L scenes that stand out at your favorites for whatever reason! And since this is the best AND worst thread, you can feel free to toss in a few 'worsts' if they pop to mind as well ;) 

I'm working through a rewatch and only a few eps into season 5, but one short scene I liked was right after they got together, she is talking to him at the diner and he says "Those jeans are really working for you. They're working for me too." And she says "Are you going to watch me walk away?" "Yep." And she sashays off. It's a cute little flirty scene.

I'll have to get back to you with more after I get further along. I haven't seen most of season 6 in a long time so I have to refresh my memory.

• Love 2
(edited)

I liked when Emily was arrested, after telling the officer that that breathalyzer wasn't going anywhere near her mouth. Not that she was arrested: her response. Of course, that made Lorelai's already great night, perfect. 

I don't remember many of the titles, but I still love Cinnamon's Wake. I love the whole town coming together, to be there for a grieving couple. I'm reading a book called The Village Effect, that talks about social connections being important for your health and well-being - in-person connections, not online (although they've helped me). I miss knowing all of my neighbours, which is part of the appeal of the show for me. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

So since S5, S6 and S7 get a lot of heat---and understandably so---which would you pick as your 10-15 favorite, most rewatchable episodes from the show's final three seasons? My own picks have changed a lot, but I think I'd go with...

But Not As Cute As Pushkin (always a sentimental favorite of mine despite having a few major problems with it!)

Women of Questionable Morals

Come Home 

So...Good Talk 

We've Got Magic to Do

LMHYBRO (I swear that the Rory/Jess scenes here may be favorite of the series, and I've grown to like the stuff with Luke, Lorelai and the bloodthirsty soccer team) 

I Get a Sidekick Out of You (though, yeah, the secondhand embarrassment for Lorelai is strong!) 

The Long Morrow 

That's What You Get, Folks, For Making Whoopee 

Farewell My Pet 

Will You Be My Lorelai Gilmore?

Bon Voyage 

...Oh, and maybe 21itLN? Always a Godmother? (I adore Beau!) And how did I forget Santa's Secret Stuff?! 

One weird observation---at the moment I'm more apt to rewatch episodes from S6 and S7 than the more popular S5. S5 and I are going through a really rough patch :) 

One weird observation---at the moment I'm more apt to rewatch episodes from S6 and S7 than the more popular S5. S5 and I are going through a really rough patch :)

I can understand. I am rewatching the series right now, and am in the middle of season 5. While I've seen the first few seasons a lot, I haven't seen 5, 6, and 7 as much, so they are pretty fresh for me. For me season 5 takes a turn where it just gets a little less likeable than the previous seasons. It seems like a lot of unpleasantness happens around the same time: Richard and Emily's nastiness about Loralei dating Luke, tricking Rory into the party with all the potential suitors, Rory being so bratty to Christopher after he asks for Lorelai's help after Sherry leaves (though I understand her reasoning, it's still hard to watch her be so nasty to him), Sookie's freakout and unprofessionalism about cutting out lunch, TJ and Liz fighting and him ruining Luke and Lorelai's dinner....phew!! That's all within a few episodes of each other! There's still plenty of good dialogue and nice moments, and the Logan/Life and Death Brigade stuff is kind of fun, but there are definitely some things that start to bug me that season.

• Love 1

I was just thinking about this one after Die Jerk and Sidekick got eliminated in our episode game and I recalled my unpopular opinion of loving both episodes: What are some episodes that you guys just can't help but love which most fans seem relatively 'eh' (or worse than eh!) about?! 

I like Here Comes the Son. Most fans hate that because there is so little of the Gilmore Girls in it and it focuses on Jess. Well, since I love the Jess character and would have watched the spin-off, I enjoy this episode. 

• Love 1

I like HCTS a lot more than most too---and I think the Connecticut-based scenes are awesome! 

Taryn, I know you share my shameful love for Sidekick as well, so get up there and launch into a drunken toast to it, okay?! ;) 

Some other episodes I'm really attached to that very few (zero?!) other fans seem to:

The Third Lorelai, I Can't Get Started, Lorelai Out of Water, Say Goodnight Gracie, The Hobbit The Sofa and Digger Stiles, the aforementioned Die Jerk, Always a Godmother, Welcome to the Dollhouse, I Get a Sidekick Out of You, The Long Morrow, Whoopee, Lorelai's First Cotillion, and to some extent even French Twist...I'll show myself the door ;) 

• Love 1

Heehee.

Well you know I too love ICGS.  I love The Hobbit too, didn't realize that was a UO?

I just CAN'T with Godmother though.  Even though Beau cracks me all kinds of up.