Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Bests and Worsts

• Start Topic

I think that with Miss Celine bringing a couple of hundred possibilities, it could have been a whole lot better.  Very pedestrian.  Of course, the true horror was Lorelai's dress.

Not to mention the whole drama about one of the beads missing from the dress and comparing the seamstress to, I forget, but like a crack den mother. I think some of it was manufactured drama to extract a bachelorette party from the girls but a lot of it was really Emily being high maintenance and fussy about a very average suit for such a fancy event.

Emily's suit was OK, I guess. I wore a similar (but prettier) suit for my bat mitzvah as a matter of fact but, in my defense, I was operating with a lot of dress code constraints from the temple and I still look at the pictures with some regret that I didn't pick something more exciting to wear.

I agree that Lorelai's outfit was the really tacky one. I hated the little jacket. And the pleated bottom and the whole way that the dress fit didn't suit LG's body. However, I think Emily had a hand in picking that outfit too. Maybe she just really doesn't have good taste in clothes, even if she does in food and music and home decor and movies (see musicals). See the dresses for Rory's 16th birthday party that Lorelai supposedly had to fix with her mad seamstress skillz- even though, frankly, I didn't get how Rory's outfit was altered because it looked like it would have come right off the rack as just a cute knee length simple dress and cardigan. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 1
I agree that Lorelai's outfit was the really tacky one. I hated the little jacket. And the pleated bottom and the whole way that the dress fit didn't suit LG's body.

There was a period, I want to say during the fourth, maybe into the fifth season, where some of Lorelai's outfits really didn't work.  I'm not recalling the exact outfits, but I want to say they were either too "young" for her at that point (the character was 36 or 37), or they just were ill-fitting (i.e. too tight), and made her look heavier than she was. 

• Love 2

I think that with Miss Celine bringing a couple of hundred possibilities, it could have been a whole lot better.  Very pedestrian.  Of course, the true horror was Lorelai's dress.

Gotta agree with this 100%. Emily's ensemble was extremely underwhelming. I was hoping for a dress at least. We had seen her in enough suits by then.

Also, I hate hate HATE Lorelai's dress. Love the episode. DESPISE the dress. In case you couldn't tell, that is actually my most hated outfit in the entire series. There's a point where she gets up (I think to dance with Luke) and we see it sagging in the back and the fishtail skirt seemed like it made walking uncomfortable for her. It was truly awful.

• Love 2

There's a point where she gets up (I think to dance with Luke) and we see it sagging in the back and the fishtail skirt seemed like it made walking uncomfortable for her. It was truly awful

When Lorelai was trying to prevent Luke and Christopher from making mincemeat out of Logan a couple of scenes later, her backside looked rather large. When Lorelai (and Lauren Graham for that matter) looks bad from the back, there is something  very wrong with the costuming.

He does clean up well.

I prefer him sleepy and rumpled :)

• Love 2

Lorelai's dress for Wedding Bell Blues was awful, the jacket paired with it was tragic, and both were just a precursor to the horrible fashion choice of "The Perfect Dress."

It's pretty amazing that Emily would have let Lorelai be a part of her wedding renewal in that dress. Especially considering her comment a few seasons earlier about Lorelai dressing in way that makes her "look like 10 cents a dance." (Which was a rude thing to say, obviously, but it's also a pretty awesome, elegant and withering insult and I kind of love it).

• Love 4

Order is very hard- as you said amensisterfriend. However, I'll note my "tiers" to express some order.

Tier One

Lorelai

Rory

Emily

Luke

Tier Two

Jess 

Paris

Richard

Tier Three

Logan

Lane

Tier Four

This is the hardest one. I was really sure about everything before now! I think probably Michel. However, Dave Regowsky was in it for being so adorable and perfect and Seth Cohen, but lost for being too short-lived and shallow. Chris was in it because he's very interesting and important and well-acted but lost because he's such an asshole and it's infuriating that the show doesn't seem to realize what's so deeply wrong with him. I love Taylor for the actor and because He IS Stars Hallow but Taylor's strange because I think he's a profoundly original character that I've never quite seen before but he's also a one-joke character (but it's a very funny joke). Partly to be contrarian but also FOR REAL, I wanted to throw some love at Most Hateds Mitchum Huntzburger (because dangit, I think he was right about most things!) and April Nardini (why the hate on such an adorable, nice little girl who may have damaged Luke/Lorelai but also played a crucial role in my favorite character development arc of the last few seasons- Luke's S7 arc). 

• Love 1
I'm blanking on a name right now - the town priest! I always enjoy him

The reverend and rabbi (Archie Skinner and David Barrons?) are the best!!! They've always been among my very favorite minor characters despite how little we see of them. Or, given how GG tends to ramp up the quirkiness to the point where most minor characters become increasingly shrill, obnoxious and over-the-top, maybe i love the reverend and rabbi BECAUSE we see so little of them...AS-P never had the chance to ruin them :) 

• Love 2

I just have so much admiration for those who seem to have put theirs in any sort of order. I can barely even narrow my list to ten! And, just to clarify, these are the characters who I enjoy/am entertained by/find interesting etc...they're not necessarily all characters I'd like in real life. I'm pretty sure 98-99% of the GG characters would dirve me crazy if I actually knew them :) 

Rory

Lorelai

Paris 

Jess 

Luke (Surprised I've listed him here?! Yeah, me too...he's just too essential to the show for me not to include him, and he is part of many my favorite scenes) 

Richard 

Emily (though I have bigger issues with her than most here do!) 

Brian (this show really needed more genuinely sweet, earnest, geeky guys! I've always been more or less alone at a table for those who wish Lane had dated him instead of Zach :)) 

Tana (I just had a real soft spot for her and loved the sides of Rory that she brought out) 

Michel 

Gypsy

...let's all politely pretend that I didn't just cheat by listing 11, okay?! If it's any consolation, I initially had 18, so this is major progress for me :) 

How about the 10 or so characters you like least?! 

Edited by amensisterfriend

The characters I liked least? Sorry but I could only pick nine! I have some affection/interest for basically other real character or I think they're profoundly inoffensively bland ala Alex. In no particular order: 

Liz

TJ

Dean

Anna

Kirk, to be frank despite his funnier moments

Zack

Lucy

Olvia

Shira Huntzberg (love her husband, but she's the worst trophy wife stereotype) 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 1

I'll go with Liz, TJ, Colin, Zack, Dean, Anna, Sometimes Logan (though sometimes I do enjoy him...suffice it to say that he and I have a very complex relationship! I just often dislike the effect his presence has on Rory and many of the show's storylines), Nicole, April (I know it's awful to dislike a kid, but everything about the character and the way the actress delivered her lines just felt so forced and grating to me!), Shira Huntzberger...I could rattle off a few more, but this time I'll try to actually limit myself to the suggested number :) 

Oh- I forgot about Nicole. She's my elusive #10- MY LIST IS COMPLETE OF MOST HATEDS. Nicole was so completely useless except the most fabulously underrated scene of Luke meeting Nicole's parents:

MRS. LEAHY: And then children. Well, there’s nothing more rewarding than children. You just can’t imagine until you’ve been there.

MR. LEAHY: That’s true. And this one here made everything in life worth it.

MRS. LEAHY: The whole experience is like the most fabulous roller coaster ride you can imagine. From the time they’re born to that first step. The first word. The first time they hug you. The first time they pick out their own outfits.

LUKE: The first time they tell you they’re going to school and then you follow them, and they get in their car and drive to Wal-Mart.

MR. LEAHY: Wal-Mart?

LUKE: And they think you don’t know. They think you’re just a moron and you’re going, “Hey, they must be telling me the truth, right?” And they don’t think that maybe you know that they’re lying to your face and that you’re really mad because you guys had an agreement.

MRS. LEAHY: Oh dear.

LUKE: And that agreement was clear, very clear. And they know that breaking that agreement is a violation of everything you had talked about. Oh yeah, that is cute. That’s just darling. I can’t wait to experience that again. [pause] I’m sorry, did someone mention cheese?

• Love 2

In honor of Valentine's Day, which GG scenes did you find the most purely romantic/sexy/sweet/etc. irrespective of how you feel about the couples involved?! We can try to name a couple for each main relationship :) 

A few of mine, in no order:

Rory/Jess: "You looked it up", the Oasis sprinkler scene, Jess showing up with a book for her and saying he couldn't have done it without her, their kisses in Let the Games Begin...and, yes, it's very sad that one of my picks for the series' most romantic scenes takes place at a gas station :) 

Rory/Logan: The jump in YJIJJ, eagerly convincing her he can be her boyfriend in BIAG, their tight embrace after in AHINAH, surprising her on the roof of her apartment building in S7, kissing her hand in Hay Bale Maze 

Rory/Dean: Building her a car, giving her the now infamous bracelet in RBP, sleeping together (but not in THAT way!) in Rory's Dance 

Lorelai/Luke: Building her a chuppah, building her an ice rink, putting a TV in his bedroom because she wanted one, the smiles they exchange during the ceremony in WBB, Luke telling her she can pull sausages out of him anytime (which, admittedly, sounds far more bizarre than romantic out of context!) in 21ITLN

Lorelai/Christopher: The dance in Presenting Lorelai Gilmore, the kisses on the couch in I Can't Get Started, the graduation basket he sends her in Lorelai's Graduation Day, French Twist (sorry!)

Jackson/Sookie: A-T, A-T! 

Lane/Dave: He deprives himself of sleep just to read the Bible cover to cover and earnestly tries to convince Mama Kim that he's a good guy 

Emily/Richard: A surprising number of them that I'll try to fill in once I've had more caffeine! 

I agree with a bunch of your picks, although I can snort cynically on some of them for my least favorite pairings. (i.e. where's Rory's graduation-from-high school basket from Christopher, harrumph? i.e. sure the bracelet looks like a gift at first, but then it's a brand). To add:

Rory/Jess: The whole bridge scene A Tisket, A Tasket where they debated books. "Earnest only has the loveliest things to say about you." The pre-accident car scene in Teach Me, Tonight (but really a lot of the Rory/Jess in that ep) where Jess honestly diagramed why Rory wasn't an obvious war correspondent which made his also total faith that she would make it into Harvard and apology for freaking her out come off as even more sincere and thought-out. I love this so much:

JESS: Hey, I didn’t mean to freak you out. I’m sorry. I’m sure you’ll do it. You will, I promise. I’ll help you practice, okay? Tomorrow, you’ll stand in the middle of the street and I will drive straight at you screaming in a foreign language.

RORY: Well, you’re gonna have to learn a foreign language first.

JESS: Well, it’s lucky I’ve got me a tutor, isn’t it?

Rory is also an adorable well-meaning hearts eyes riot of wit and insight in that scene as well. 

JESS: Yes, I plan to get out of Stars Hollow.

RORY: And go where?

JESS: Wherever.

RORY: And do what?

JESS: Whatever.

RORY <mocking voice>: Wherever, whatever.

Rory/Logan: Going back to Rory's dorm to apologize for taking off and freaking out at his family's behavior the end of But I'm A Gilmore. A very quick, sincere turn-around of commitment to Rory, right when it looked like it could be difficult to do so and be a Huntzberger. I guess I really like piss & vinegar for romance because I always thought Rory yelling at Colin and Finn for making a big joke out of Logan's serious injuries was very romantic. Rory doesn't go to the "I can't stand to look at you!" place unless she really, really, REALLY cares. 

Emily/Richard: A fresh palette! Reminiscing about how they got together in Let the Games begin, a favorite part being Emily snarking at Richard's pretentious way of evaluating art as a pick-up strategy. In The Bracebridge Dinner both the giddy sleigh ride scene and also Emily not even having an interest in discussing their financial future once it sunk in that Richard was miserable at his job and that's the most important thing. Emily's conduct during Richard's heart attacks. The "I insist on dying first" on the first heart attack is heart-breaking in light of real life events but I think I love the payoff on Heart Attack # 2 when Emily is reporting on all of the completed tasks that she appeared so heartless and self-centered to work on in front of Lorelai, but yes, it's really Emily devoting her entire life to making sure that Richard has as picturesque and comfortable life as possible and Richard doesn't always appreciate that, but here he did. 

EMILY: And I bought fish, Richard, so much fish -- uh, Tuna and Trout and Snapper and Salmon and…

RICHARD: [Drowsily] Sounds just fine, Emily. That sounds just fine.

• Love 2

Oooh, such good additions! I snark (A LOT!) on how poorly this show tends to depict romance, but reflecting on these moments is almost enough to make me soften my stance...a little :) 

pre-accident car scene in Teach Me, Tonight (but really a lot of the Rory/Jess in that ep) where Jess honestly diagramed why Rory wasn't an obvious war correspondent which made his also total faith that she would make it into Harvard and apology for freaking her out come off as even more sincere and thought-out. I love this so much:

JESS: Hey, I didn’t mean to freak you out. I’m sorry. I’m sure you’ll do it. You will, I promise. I’ll help you practice, okay? Tomorrow, you’ll stand in the middle of the street and I will drive straight at you screaming in a foreign language.
RORY: Well, you’re gonna have to learn a foreign language first.
JESS: Well, it’s lucky I’ve got me a tutor, isn’t it?

All of this is pure gold. That episode is a roller coaster for me, with some scenes that I adore and some that I have to fast forward through, but the Jess/Rory scenes really are great there. 

Rory/Logan: Going back to Rory's dorm to apologize for taking off and freaking out at his family's behavior the end of But I'm A Gilmore. A very quick, sincere turn-around of commitment to Rory, right when it looked like it could be difficult to do so and be a Huntzberger. I guess I really like piss & vinegar for romance because I always thought Rory yelling at Colin and Finn for making a big joke out of Logan's serious injuries was very romantic. Rory doesn't go to the "I can't stand to look at you!" place unless she really, really, REALLY cares.

I totally agree (I love when you and I find common ground, by the way!), and I thought that a lot of those scenes in the aftermath of Logan's accident were romantic. I'm a sucker for hospital bedside/one helps the other recuperate scenes in general :) 

I also like how quickly Logan becomes serious, concerned and eager to help upon learning that something is wrong with Rory's mom in Say Something. It was the first hint to me that he had more depth and sincerity than I had believed...if only we had seen that side of him even more often! 

I would have listed Jess showing up to Rory's dorm room as romantic, but AS-P had Jess/MV play that scene as too angry somehow...an all too common problem on this show :) I do feel remiss in not nominating their scenes from Lorelai's Graduation Day...they still crackle with intense romantic chemistry IMO. 

Also, I think the romantic chemistry between Luke and Lorelai is super high in TDDR. I also like when he cooks her dinner in The Party's Over...though naturally the (IMO!) hideously annoying TJ and Liz ruin the evening :) Oh! And the Santa Burger is romantic in an amusing, gross, GG-esque way :) 

• Love 1

Younger me loved the Rory/Jess scene in NH Is Where They Found the Gnostic Gospels, where after running away from him, he tells her simply, "I love you." And then leaves, heh. 

For Rory/Dean, their sweetest scenes, imo, are their meeting in the the Pilot over Rosemary's Baby, and the awkward cuteness of Cinnamon's Wake, where Dean tells her it's ok if she isn't interested, and she finds her voice and says she is. 

Emily and Richard have a ton, but I especially like "come home" scene and their dance in Wedding Bell Blues (I'm 40, so long and happy marriages are much more romantic to me now.) 

Lorelai and Max have some great purely sexual chemistry in their scenes in Love and War and Snow, and The Breakup Pt 2 (don't kill me - I like that their early scenes aren't loaded with all the baggage she has with Christopher and Luke). 

For Rory/Logan, it's super weirdly a scene that Rory isn't in - in  Lorelai? Lorelai? - where Logan asks for Lorelai's permission to propose, knowing how important Lorelai is to Rory.  Very GG romantic, imo.

• Love 1

I would have listed Jess showing up to Rory's dorm room as romantic, but AS-P had Jess/MV play that scene as too angry somehow...an all too common problem on this show :) I do feel remiss in not nominating their scenes from Lorelai's Graduation Day...they still crackle with intense romantic chemistry IMO. 

Yes, some of the dysfunctional or sad Rory/Jess stuff is still very romantic. Like that scene- I'm cringing at how Jess is behaving along my heart breaking that OF COURSE that right after he's gotten some help in how to decode his emotions, he'll thank Luke but also insist on getting back together with Rory even though his life is still a mess and ill-suited to hers. I love Rory's phone call to Jess in Those Are Strings... I'll bold my favorite parts:

RORY: Jess, is that you? Jess, I'm pretty sure it's you and I'm pretty sure you've been calling and not saying anything but wanna say something. Hello? You're not going to talk? Fine, I'll talk. You didn't handle things right at all. You could've talked to me. You could've told me that you were having trouble in school and weren't going to graduate, and that your dad had been there, but you didn't. And you ended up not taking me to my prom and not coming to my graduation and leaving again without saying goodbye again, and that's fine, I get it, but that's it for me. I'm going to Europe tomorrow and I'm going to Yale and I'm moving on. And I'm not going to pine. I hope you didn't think I was going to pine, okay? I think. . .I think I may have loved you, but I just need to let it go. So, that's it, I guess. Um, I hope you're good. I want you to be good, and, um, okay, so, goodbye. That word sounds really lame and stupid right now, but there it is. Goodbye.

moonb, well-done mentioning the Max-scenes. Those smaller relationships can be underrated. In the spirit of that, Lorelai's and Jason's impromptu grocery store date just aims at all of the quirky places of MY heart. (I love grocery stores. And I'm whine about sitting the back room of a hip restaurant.)

Underrated moment but Luke/Lorelai are so in-synch and cute when they're both spooked by Emily's and Richard's insurance horror stories in You've Been Gilmored. The whole dinner is a high point for all four characters, but Luke/Lorelai are so married (to hell with June 3rd drama!) coming out of the house, completely on the same page. 

• Love 2

Yeah, Max and the daisies are pretty romantic too. And one more Emily/Richard scene: at the end of The Reigning Lorelai, where Richard tells Emily that his mother's ashes should be buried with his father, thus going against Trix's wishes, and then kisses Emily's hands. Lovely. 

• Love 3

The Luke/Lorelai dance to "Reflecting Light" in 421 may be the single most romantic scene I've seen on TV ever. And I'm not even a huge LL shipper. The music, direction, acting...everything was just so well done. And their chemistry was off the charts. Loved it. 

• Love 4

Luke/Lorelai is great in Tippicano and Taylor too including this teensy but adorable scene:

LORELAI: You cooking this is so sweet - .

LUKE: But?

LORELAI: I just figured, you know, we'd go to Luke's for breakfast.

LUKE: Why?

LORELAI: Because I like Luke's breakfast.

LUKE: I am Luke.

LORELAI: I know

LUKE: This is the same stuff I make at the diner.

LORELAI: I know.

LUKE: So what's the difference?

LORELAI: Well, the difference is, while you are Luke, we're not at Luke's.

LUKE: So?

LORELAI: Well, I have my things, you know? I have certain things. And one of my things is going to Luke's. And just because I now have "Dating Luke" doesn't mean I want to lose my "Cooking Luke."

LUKE: But I am cooking, and I am Luke.

LORELAI: Look, it's like Tommy Lee having a Starbucks at his house.

LUKE: What?

LORELAI: On the surface, it sounds great. But half the reason you go to a Starbucks is to go to a Starbucks, you know, to go out and see the people.

LUKE: Tommy Lee has a Starbucks in his house?

LORELAI: "Cribs," baby. Watch it.

LUKE: Like a whole Starbucks with workers and everything?

LORELAI: The point is that, while some things have changed -- and that's great -- I don't want everything to change completely.

LUKE: Okay. I'll see you at Luke's.

• Love 1

You guys, this article totally takes on the same task that we did yesterday---and with many of the same results :) (Though some of their choices differ---I personally cringe at the famous "I love you, you idiot!" scene for a variety of reasons, and not just due to my admitted anti-Dean bias!) 

http://www.gilmorenews.com/2016/02/14/times-gilmore-girls-got-this-romance-stuff-down-pat/

While I'm still here...best kisses?! 

So, clearly as a new member to this particular board, I've decided to go back some pages to see the threads and saw this one. So hey, why not bring it back? 

So, best kisses? 

As much as I didn't like Dean/Rory, their first kiss in the supermarket was surprisingly sweet. It worked well for Rory's first kiss, because it was very simple. Much better than their season 1 finale kiss, where Dean's practically eating her mouth at Chilton. Now that kiss was beyond awkward. 

I'll admit, all of Jess/Rory's kisses were the best. MV and AB had the best on screen chemistry on the show, by far. Their first kiss, though, was pretty great for a few reasons. Not only did Rory initiate the kiss, but the way she literally grabs Jess' waist to pull him in was just a cute quirk. The show didn't have a lot of touching/kissing, but MV always found a way around that, and he always made it look natural. Also, it wasn't exactly a kiss, but Jess/Rory's almost kiss in Let The Games Begin is one of my favourite romantic moments on the show, It really heightened the chemistry between AB and MV. I mean, did you see how close their lips got before Luke opened the door? 

So, I have my issues with Lorelai/Luke's longer kisses (my nitpick is that I do not like how Scott wraps his arms around Lauren's head/neck in the way that he does; it honestly looks awkward to me), but their first kiss did work well for me. The shuffling back from Lorelai before he even kisses her, the way he grabs her hair, but the overall simplicity of the kiss. It was sweet and well done. Their kiss in season six after Lorelai's proposal was also sweet and well done.

Logan/Rory's Wedding Bell Blues kiss was well done. Again, her initiating the kiss. 

• Love 4

I also really liked Jess and Rory's kiss in I Can't Get Started, and their one at the end of Let the Games Begin is probably my favourite kiss on the whole show, they're both so nervous and tentative, the music is perfect and the fact the whole episode built up to it is makes it more fulfilling. I also liked their kiss at the end of A Deep-Fried Korean Thanksgiving with Rory just saying 'screw it' and going for it, and Jess's happy bafflement afterwards. (Though Dean hulking around threatening Jess sort of ruined the moment). Their kiss at the end of Swan Song was also nice. Milo and Alexis's off-screen relationship definitely shows through with Rory and Jess imo, which is good because kissing on-screen can be awkward.

For Luke/Lorelai, I'd second their first kiss and the one after they get engaged - for some reason none of the others really stick out although I love them; their most memorable moments didn't involve kissing. 

I've got a soft spot for Lane and Dave's first kiss, it's such a sweet scene with the two of them sneaking out in the dark, him interrupting her babbling and how she surprised she looks. 

Never keen on Chris and Lorelai, but I admit they have good chemistry and I liked their kisses in I Can't Get Started, they felt very natural and comfortable. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 2

I also love the Luke/Lorelai kisses where he just goes in and they kind of sway together, like when she had on the maid outfit. And after one of the dates (really bad with episode names here), but it was outside her house. Just a good solid, deep kiss that rocked her world a little.

Always hated the one after the season 5 break up, where he rushes in her door and grabs her. My opposition to that one is mainly with the incredibly awkward blocking. You can almost hear the Palladinos going "take two steps, your arms go here and here, stand at this angle for the shot in the doorframe." The whole thing... just terrible. If they'd focused more on what needed to be happening rather than how it needed to happen, I think it might have worked better.

• Love 2

Ugh yes that kiss was awful, SP moved so stiffly and just yanked at her and wasn't he wearing gloves too? So his hands looked ham-fisted. Their kiss in the final episode was like that too. Luke and Lorelai needed more variation in their kisses, it was almost always him grabbing and looking like he's trying to crush her. And because SP is quite bulky and Lauren is slim it looked even more awkward. Get some tips from your nephew Luke, Milo could pull off both the more passionate kisses (like in Swan Song) and the gentler, nervous ones. (Can't Get Started, Let the Games Begin, and their kiss in S6).

Edited by TimetravellingBW

Aw. I actually like that kiss!

I suppose it is slightly awkward.

I love their first kiss and how it goes from Luke telling Lorelai to stand still to Lorelai telling Luke to stand still to just about meeting in the middle....until Kirk ruins it with his shenanigans.

I hate their last kiss. I didn't watch the show for seven seasons to get a quick two-second kiss that pans up and out of frame. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, JaggedLilPill said:

I love their first kiss and how it goes from Luke telling Lorelai to stand still to Lorelai telling Luke to stand still to just about meeting in the middle....until Kirk ruins it with his shenanigans.

I hate their last kiss. I didn't watch the show for seven seasons to get a quick two-second kiss that pans up and out of frame. 

I agree about the last kiss but I guess at that time, they didn't know whether they were coming back for another season or not so maybe they were thinking they'd have more time to show the both of them tomorrow. What I did wish we had seen in that last episode was Rory finding out about Luke's part in the party.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, JaggedLilPill said:

It's not the emotion behind that kiss that I have a problem with, really. I mean... as a story beat, it certainly works. The timing, and the length, etc. It's the blocking that drives me around the bend. LOL The director should have realized that it wasn't working, and done some more takes to fix it.

I love their first two kisses too. :-) And yeah, the last one is not enough.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, CalamityBoPeep said:

It's not the emotion behind that kiss that I have a problem with, really. I mean... as a story beat, it certainly works. The timing, and the length, etc. It's the blocking that drives me around the bend. LOL The director should have realized that it wasn't working, and done some more takes to fix it.

I love their first two kisses too. :-) And yeah, the last one is not enough.

I understand what you mean. And I agree. It probably would have worked with another few takes. 

Their first two kisses will always be :-). Especially LG's face. You can see Lorelai doing a mental Whoa, why have I not kissed Luke before this? 

I also like the kiss when he drops her off and tells her it's okay that she had lunch with Christopher. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, JaggedLilPill said:

Especially LG's face. You can see Lorelai doing a mental Whoa, why have I not kissed Luke before this? 

If I could "heart" this a thousand times, I would. LOL  As Lorelai's thinking that, I'm thinking "yeah, why haven't we done this before now?" ;-)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, JaggedLilPill said:

I did too. It was ackward at first but the panning out and the silhouette of them through the window was very old movieish. Perfect with Lorelai watching "A Star is Born" and also a passion of ASP.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, CheeseBurgh said:

I think their lack of chemistry led to them looking awkward while kissing. They had zero ease around each other.

Idk, I think SP and LG had pretty great chemistry, in earlier seasons the amount of eye!sex and heated moments they had were crazy. I think it's more that SP was just an awkward kisser or they needed more direction. 

• Love 3
On 11 September 2016 at 1:01 AM, CalamityBoPeep said:

I also love the Luke/Lorelai kisses where he just goes in and they kind of sway together, like when she had on the maid outfit. And after one of the dates (really bad with episode names here), but it was outside her house. Just a good solid, deep kiss that rocked her world a little.

Always hated the one after the season 5 break up, where he rushes in her door and grabs her. My opposition to that one is mainly with the incredibly awkward blocking. You can almost hear the Palladinos going "take two steps, your arms go here and here, stand at this angle for the shot in the doorframe." The whole thing... just terrible. If they'd focused more on what needed to be happening rather than how it needed to happen, I think it might have worked better.

It's tough being a javajunkie, because they've been endgame since the pilot episode, but the show runners spoiled it when it happened in season five. 

SP's crazy chemistry with LG is what got him the main character role after the pilot. Fast forward to post-dragonfly kiss and the show runners were literally telling them they couldn't touch each other. Even LG mentioned not being allowed to show affection as an issue. 

But the javajunkies mostly let themselves be frogs in the pot. Each lack of a touch, a kiss, never being allowed to say I love you, Emily's soap opera breakup plot, poorly blocked reconciliation kiss; each of these things made it harder and harder to ship the OTP. Next thing we know the water is boiling because Lorelai goes off and screws the one man she knew would destroy her self-proclaimed only true love. 

Romeo and Juliet were lucky. At least they died. And weren't show-run by the Palladinos.

• Love 1

I don't know. This may be weird, but I've never thought about which season is my favorite. All I know is season 7 is my LEAST favorite. Other than than, I can find an equal amount of likeable and unlikeable episodes within each, so I don't really think in terms of favorite seasons, but favorite episodes. 

• Love 1

I think I agree with almost all of those choices. I think, for me, it does more depend on how much I've liked the episodes in the seasons. 

I think my list goes as this: 2>3>1>4>5>6>7

I just know that 2 is my favourite because there are so many more rewatchable episodes in that season for me. 3 and 1 are pretty tied together for me because each have several episodes which are great, and then several episodes which are not. 4 is better than the later seasons because unlike some, I love seeing Rory's freshman year. It might be boring to some, but I enjoyed each and every Rory plot...until the Dean stuff, but that has nothing to do with Yale. Plus, watching Lorelai and Sookie start up the Dragonfly. 5 has to be lower than 4 on my list because despite my enjoyment of Logan, it starts the decline of Rory, as well as the falling apart of the Dean storyline. Literally, they just kind of ended it. It was like they realized they messed up somewhere within the first five episodes and then Jared's role in Supernatural prevented him from returning after season 5 so his last appearance really was rushed and made his character look so, so much worse than he already was. I enjoyed 6 more than others, but it still wasn't great. It had a lot of issues and it was clear by the second half that there was some confusion on where to go with the stories. So they threw in secret children, cheating, and a lot of fighting and bitterness amongst characters. Nobody was really happy in that season. And, of course 7 because it's taking me a long time to get through and there's such a different tone to it. Plus, the splitting up of characters, very little Emily/Richard and random plotlines that don't really help character progression. 

• Love 2

My order:

S2: Pretty damn perfect. Love the introduction of Jess and his scenes with Rory and Luke. Sookie/Jackson are at their best. Great Rory/Paris stuff. Lorelai doesn't have as stunning an arc but she has great moments throughout especially when the season delves more into her goals to open her own inn. This is quite a flawless season. Even the Lorelai/Chris stuff at the end of the season feels fresh, interesting, and justifiably placed. 

S4: I happen to love the Richard/Emily separation story, especially as their marriage was breaking down. Of course, Richard and Emily belong together but yet, their separation made all of the sense in the world and I love that the story was organically told. Jason, for a one-season character, was very well melded between his role as a wedge between Richard and Emily (although only a guy who had the misfortune of being a symbolic wedge for deeper problems) and his role as this compartmentalized odd boyfriend for a Lorelai looking for entertainment with Rory out of the house but who was gun-shy about having a deeper relationship. And then, it's particularly beautiful to see Lorelai fall into that deeper "When you're with Luke, you're *with* Luke" relationship at the end of the series (which is my favorite string of eps.) I enjoy Rory's common-place freshman year stories and I really missed characters like Janet and Tana populating her life. Liz and TJ bring the season down- but not entirely so because I love Luke so much that I'll tolerate more exposition for him even if it means Liz/TJ but I do query why they had to make the Luke-material so painful with those two. 

S3: Also terrific and actually, very smooth. Yet again, Jess brings seasons up multiple notches because his stories and scenes with Luke and Rory universally spark. There's some particularly great drama between Lorelai and her parents over Rory's college, paying back Chilton, Lorelai not ending up with Chris, etc. that takes their issues into new directions than just the "Got pregnant and ran away at 16, unhappy childhood with strict elitist parents" story. I also even like the Puffs story and the Chilton drama. Lane has her best love interest in Dave. While even more professional looking and smooth than S2, it gets moved down primarily because Lorelai/Alex is dull and Luke/Nicole, while not dull, seems fairly unbelievable. 

S1: It's more dated. I also can't understand why Lorelai would risk Rory's high school experience for Max. (And I LIKE Max. Max is a great guy who's worth a lot. I just don't buy that Lorelai loved him so much that she'd do the taboo thing and date a teacher.) The "Dean is the best boyfriend EVA" stuff gets tired. However, it's a great introductory season, especially for the characters and relationships that worked best through the series. I actually generally like Rory and shake my head at a lot of the hate- but I will bite that S1 Rory is my favorite Rory and it's great seeing her more down-to-earth and direct and sharp. 

S5: Luke/Lorelai romance is a highlight, through the happy and sad parts. It's fun to see them happy together and actually, I feel like a minority that I thought their S5 break-up was very well told and really allowed me to feel for both of them. I actually like the Life and Death Brigade in small doses. Rory/Logan is interesting. However, Rory/Marty was dull and I think may have gotten across a problematic message that Rory owed him romance. Rory's S5 arc is also disjointed in general. The Richard/Emily reconciliation is great.  However, the big problem with the season is Emily- she really got turned into a miserable shrill shrew to the point of character assassination. It really damages the show since the Lorelai/Emily relationship is at the core of the story. 

S7: Yes, I actually rate S7 before S6. S7 had far more positives. Rory isn't as fascinating as she once was, but I could like her and generally enjoy her arc as opposed to S6. There's not enough Richard and Emily in this season, but what there is counts for a lot when you consider the campaign to shrewify Emily in S5 and much of S6. I really like the elder Gilmores in this season a heck of a lot and I felt convinced that Lorelai would want them in her life even when Rory left, which I put entirely down to S7's deft rebuilding of Richard and Emily. I happen to think that the Luke character-development in this season is stellar as well as heart-warming. His story is very sweet- but I think it's downright gutsy storytelling to have the dumped love-interest character not pine but instead take him on his own journey of building a new better life. His relationship with April are such high-points that I wanted far more of it. (I know, unpopular opinion.) The Lane/Mrs. Kim final thrust at total reconciliation and closeness is so fantastic, even though Zack is always annoying IMO. The dialogue isn't as original and sharp as previous seasons, but I think that the good stories in these areas make up for a lot. In some ways, it reminds me of S6-7 of The West Wing where the show lost its distinctive witty pattery voice in Aaron Sorkin but it recovered into its own type of good show with good stories even if it wasn't as dazzlingly original as the glory days of its original auteur. And actually, Gilmore Girls recovered faster than The West Wing with rebounding into a decent season immediately while S5 of The West Wing was a disappointment. (Although, I guess I'm grading relatively. S5 of TWW was a disappointment because the Sorkin seasons were perfect. ASP was damaging her own show in S5-6.) The biggest problem, though, is Lorelai. It especially sticks out as a problem when these other characters are evolving around her. Lorelai is at the center and it's ostensibly her growth that we've been primed to watch and root for, so it's so disappointing that she is at her worst in the final season. 

S6: I like the show so I find things to like in S6. Mainly eps and moments, more than all, because the dialogue still had ASP's touch which could dazzle at times. Case in point: Friday Night's Allright for Fighting, Jess's two episodes. I think it's also the most interesting Logan-season with him having one foot out of Bad Boy Land but not the perfect almost Stepford boyfriend of S7. I also think the season is somewhat underrated in how it set up these huge conflicts- Lorelai v. Luke, Lorelai v. Rory, Lorelai v. The Grandparents where I could see multiple POVs. (To some extent, Rory v. The Grandparents because their retrograde views on sex and snobby values ARE bad viewed up close. However, in terms of treatment, I'm solidly on The Grandparents side. I can't see Anna's POV at all when she conflicts with Luke. She's just WRONG with her own saving grace that Luke was too much of a doormat to let her know that she was wrong but then the saving grace taken away by how Luke standing up for himself in S7 didn't lead to a more reasonable Anna who was checking her pre-conceived notions and improving but instead even more of a bitch.)  However, it's all very ugly. That diminishes the fun of the patter too. 

• Love 3

Season 2 remains my favorite because, Jess.  Plus Sookie & Jackson are perfect, Lorelai's not too annoying, Chris shows up and is charming, Luke is awesome, Lane is funny, Dean is around but I can overlook that.

Season 3 would be next, as long as I ignore the Francie/Puffs storyline.  I just really, really hate that crap.

Next I'm thinking Season 4.  The Rory Goes to Yale! stuff can be a little tedious, but at the same time it's nice to see her settling into something new and really loving it.  It's also nice to see Lorelai learning how to be a single woman with an adult child instead of in BFF!Mom mode all the time.  I pretend the Dean parts of R&R never happen.  Also, Nicole.  S4 Nicole never happened.

Season 1 is next because I groan every time I think of S5 and onward.  S1 swings from some of my very favorite episodes (DD, RBP, RD, CW, to name a few) to omgwhydomaxanddeanhavetobeonmyscreenallthedamntime so I can't vote it any higher.

S5, S6, S7..........I don't care.  You broke me, ASP.  I hope you're happy.

• Love 5

Season 2: My favorite season.  It's just perfect. A great mix of individual episodes and overreaching arcs.  I don't love the Dean Jess triangle, but it's still good.

Season 4:  Overall, I don't like some of the big arcs, but it has the most individual episodes that I'll find myself turning to if I just want a GG fix. And I'm a huge Jason fan.  There is really only one episode I don't like this season - the spring break one.

Season 1: I love so much of Season 1 and how it sets up the rest of the series.

Season 5:  There are a lot of episodes in here I don't like (Jews and Chinese Food definitely comes to mind), but I like Logan's character and some of the episodes a great deal.

Season 3:  I really don't like this season much at all. From the Nicole stuff to the college stuff - the terrible Application Anxiety to Paris' humiliating meltdown on C-Span, it is pretty much unwatchable for me.

Season 6: So much hate. From Rory's fall from grace to her canonization as the perfect daughter/event planner/girlfriend/newspaper editor, I hate it.  It's the season that brought us April, so I hate it. Lorelai morphs into a shell of herself - hate it.

Season 7:  Pretty much unwatchable for me. I feel like it was "trying" to be Gilmore Girls but never really succeeding in tone.  And they should have either not had Chris and Lorelai get together or had them be endgame. Everything felt so rushed.