Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E21: Murder In Aspen

photo fox
  • Start Topic

I think Dateline did a better job with this story last fall, at least regarding why the bank teller friend is/was a suspect, based on Nancy Pfister's treatment of her.  IIRC, there were fat jokes at her expense and other stuff that would piss someone off, and also some other shady actions.

• Love 3

Cue the leather jacket and warehouse.

Starri, not only "the" leather jacket, but about 8 minutes in, Maureen interviewed Nancy's former boyfriend and she was wearing a tartan plaid jacket and underneath?  A tank top that seemed to be leather (or pleather?) because it seemed so rigid!  Maureen never fails to surprise with her wardrobe.

YES--Kathy Carpenter (bank teller) appeared to be a better suspect.  I also saw the Dateline episode (agreed it was done better, Lizzing) so I nearly erased this episode from my DVR.  What is consistent is that Nancy Pfister came across as unlikable in Dateline and 48 Hours (even her own friends said so).  I wish she had stayed in Australia the entire planned vacation....things might have been different.  Sad.

• Love 1
(edited)

Haha, Starri!  I noticed it was a leather SHIRT this evening...I had no idea such a thing existed.  In any case, it's always good to see our friend Maureen Maher and her crazy outfits.  It seemed she was dressed in her Aspen best this week...?

I remember when Dateline covered this case, and I seem to be in the minority but I think 48 Hours did it better (and I say that as someone who slightly favors Dateline over 48 Hours in general).  MM asked some questions that I wanted asked in Dateline (like the relationship between Kathy and Mrs.Styler), so that was good (except still no question about, "So Kathy, you said you took out the $$/rings out of the safe deposit box to give the daughter...DID YOU GIVE THEM TO HER?")  It seemed to me that Dateline cast a lot more doubt on Kathy, whereas as in 48 Hours it seemed completely obvious that the Styler*S* did it.  I found that interesting.

In any case, I'm now on Team Styler (umm, yeah), because what gets me was the timing.  Nancy had been treating Kathy like a chump for years and for whatever reason, Kathy stuck by her.  Maybe she was in love with her?  Otherwise I don't get that at all, her only payoffs being sushi and exposure to art, etc? but Kathy could've walked away at any time.  The Stylers were presently enmeshed and in a fight with Nancy, and the timing is SOME coincidence.  They go up to get their stuff, expecting a fight, and...Nancy is just not there???  They spend all day moving their stuff, come back the next day, and no still Nancy.  They did notice a smell from the closet, but...nothing.  That is just WAY too suspicious.  Also, I don't believe for a second the wife didn't know anything.

...What I don't understand was whether or not it was premeditated.  I could totally picture a fight as the Stylers started to come into the house (with Nancy probably throwing the first punch), but apparently she was killed in bed.  I presume they're sure of that.  Well then, I don't know...  Maybe Mr.Styler did go up and do it on his own, but I still don't believe the wife didn't know.

Nancy sounded like a nightmare person to know, one of those people who sucks all the oxygen out of the room.  It like she was emotionally a preteen or something, insta-BFFs with someone and then hating them.  Also, she treated other people as objects, thinking everyone would happily serve her, for some reason.  At least 48 Hours only weakly characterized her as "fun-loving and adventurous" and pushed the dislikable side a bit more, because that was obvious to me!  Also, I thought her eyes looked kind of dead and it creeped me out...but maybe that was Botox or something, I don't know.

And other WTF in this episode...the Stylers were broke and half a million dollars in debt so they decide to rent a house for $4,000/month?  Dumping the murder weapon outside their hotel?  That makes it seems like Kathy could've set them up, but Kathy honestly didn't seem that bright to me.  And Mrs.Styler was a lilypad expert?  ...that's about as unique as a leather shirt!

Edited by jenkait
  • Love 2

While no one deserves to be murdered, if I were a different sort, I might be inclined to say "The bitch deserved it."  If I were a different sort.

If I were a different sort, I'd say they all deserved it! Status obsessed rich people and their lackey wannabees, I just can't with these people.

I think Dateline did a better job with this story last fall, at least regarding why the bank teller friend is/was a suspect, based on Nancy Pfister's treatment of her.  IIRC, there were fat jokes at her expense and other stuff that would piss someone off, and also some other shady actions.

I agree.  I vaguely remember something weird that Kathy did.  Kathy either texted or posted on social media that Nancy needed rest and would not be accepting guests for several days.  Dateline definitely made her look more shady.  The fact that she saw a small smear of blood on that headboard.  The fact that this hysterical woman would suspect her "friend" was murdered in the closet, yet instead of calling the police, she races home to safety to retrieve a key, then races back to possible danger to discover the body.  A body she describes in an unbelievable way.  And then she's taken to the ER to be sedated?  That usually only happens in movies.  And why did she go to the bank the next day to remove the rings and money?  It's not like the bank was going to steal anything.

I'm having a hard time believing that two MDs would bungle a murder like this.  They could easily access drugs that would be difficult to detect, and possibly mimic natural death.  If I can get over that, I cannot believe that they would pack up useless things like vehicle registration and airline tickets to bag along with the murder weapon, and dispose of it one hundred yards away.  Why not take a sharpie and write - MURDER WEAPON OF NANCY PFISER INSIDE?  Interesting that the husband's DNA is on the plastic bag, yet not on the murder weapon.  I'm not surprised his DNA was on the plastic bag from a house he had been living in.

And the murder victim - what a piece of work.  When every person you've ever met is a suspect, you are a horrible human being.  I'm not sure why dating Michael Douglas and Jack Nicholson is a thing to be admired.  Both men were known to be man-whores.  It's more telling to me that the female victim had no female friends, which is always very telling.  She had two female servants (in her mind).  She was a user.  It was also telling that her sisters chose not to be involved, and her daughter was only in a limited fashion.  And I realize that murder victims are always immediately martyred, but having one guy describe her as making every event a party, and the fool at the end who called her "a pillar of joy" - what a fucking idiot.

I wish they would have interviewed people from Kathy's past.  It would help to evaluate if she blubbers hourly in real life, or if she was known to be manipulative.  I also want to know how the Stylers were bankrupted by a lawsuit that malpractice insurance would have covered.

• Love 2

<off to look for the Dateline episode on this case for some clarification>

And the murder victim - what a piece of work.  When every person you've ever met is a suspect, you are a horrible human being.

Seriously -- and I hope the daughter's grief over losing a parent is the only reason she said that even if they hadn't been related, they would have been best friends, because Nancy didn't seem like the kind of "friend" who would reflect well on others in her orbit.

• Love 1
(edited)

While no one deserves to be murdered, if I were a different sort, I might be inclined to say "The bitch deserved it."  If I were a different sort.

Agreed.  I'd say that I'd be perfectly fine if the case remained as it is now.  Murder is a crime that should be punished, and the husband is in jail.  He chose to be there for the benefit of his wife.  I'd be A-OK if the Aspen police invested time on other cases.  I'm a big believer in karma, and Nancy even mentioned karma to Trudy when they first met.  Nancy Pfister was a horrific, horribly-entitled human being who got smacked by the karma that she herself sowed.

Seriously -- and I hope the daughter's grief over losing a parent is the only reason she said that even if they hadn't been related, they would have been best friends, because Nancy didn't seem like the kind of "friend" who would reflect well on others in her orbit.

I think that the daughter ended up getting saved in some strange way.  I think it was only a matter of time before Nancy turned on Julianna and started abusing her like she treated everyone like crap---if that hadn't happened already.  I noticed that 48 Hours didn't spend a whole lot of time with Julianna.  Seemed like she just appeared to tell the audience "My mom really didn't suck as a human being."  However, I wonder if Julianna actually feels that way.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 3

That's why I thought 48 hours was repeating an episode, so I did not pay close attention to details as much! It did not hit me I had watched this story on Dateline first until I came here.

• Love 1

This was a repeat with some updates of a 48 Hours episode -- I remember watching it the first time, and it went into more detail about the weirdness of finding the incriminating items in the trashcan (coincidental emptying of the can because of some unusual city ordinance or something).

I think that the daughter ended up getting saved in some strange way.  I think it was only a matter of time before Nancy turned on Julianna and started abusing her like she treated everyone like crap---if that hadn't happened already.

Very good point. And I'm sure it's preferable to think of your mother as a decent, fun person rather than someone loathed by so many, even if that's the reality.

Maybe that explains why Dateline has pulled the video from their website.

ETA:  Anyone here watch On the Case with Paula Zahn?  There's no thread for the show at this point.  I would request one, but along with request, you must submit subgroups along with titles.  I'm just not in the mood.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 4

Maybe that explains why Dateline has pulled the video from their website.

ETA:  Anyone here watch On the Case with Paula Zahn?  There's no thread for the show at this point.  I would request one, but along with request, you must submit subgroups along with titles.  I'm just not in the mood.

There is a thread for the ID network under Misc TV talk , then it is under networks.  Paula Zahn's show is on ID.

Also, sorry about the change in Dateline's schedule.  They pulled the episode for Aspen. 

Web of Lies,too.

Edited by applecrisp
  • Love 1

Yes - it is hard to find one's way around here.  Besides all the crime shows with their own forums by show title, we have The ID Channel in Network Talk, and General True Crime Shows in Genre Talk.  I do a LOT of "following" under My Shows, just to keep up with them all (PITA to follow ALL Network & Genre Talk stuff, but it seems to be the only way).  :-)

• Love 2

I DVR'd this when it originally aired and finally watched it over the weekend. 

I'm with you all in that Nancy Pfister was a miserable person.  No one deserves to be murdered but she was nowhere close to a sympathetic victim. 

The entire thing is sketchy to me.  The Stylers would have good reason to snap and hit her, from her disgusting treatment to coming home early to refusing to allow them to retrieve their own property.  But Kathy's actions were puzzling as well.  It was hard enough to see that blood smear on the headboard KNOWING it was there.  Why didn't she call the police from Nancy's house when she suspected something?  How did she know Nancy was covered in blood when you couldn't see a darn thing?  She did seem overly hysterical although I guess MMV on that.  

I would hazard to guess that the person who killed her did not want to confront her and it was not a spur of the moment crime based on the fact she was attacked in her bed.

• Love 1

There really wasn't a single sympathetic person in that story.  Not even Nancy Pfister's daughter really came off that well to me, even if she had remembered to brush her hair first.

• Love 1