Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Discussion

Glory

I cant believe the Bieste storyline still and that Sam is going to be a big part of it.   It seems so out of place with the whole 3 glee clue scenrio.  I like Beiste well enough but not really her for a out of the blue Bieste storyline featuring Sam.   How are the others going to be a part of this storyline  to integrate it more?

They probably won't unless it is to have the ND sing her a song at some point to show they support her.  As for it being with Sam, really the dude who thought it was cool Ryder got sexually abused shouldn't be a part of any sensitive storyline dealing with gender or sexual issues.  We also know unique us back for an episode so I imagine she will be used in it too.

You know the only reason RM is doing it as well as the double gay wedding is his never ending quest to make Glee seem on the cutting edge to where he thinks US culture is going.  Gay marriage, while a welcome development in the majority of states, means that a just a gay wedding isn't all that cutting edge.  Thus we have a double gay wedding.  And OITNB and Transparent have people discussing Trangender issues so RM has to do his "me too."

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

I cant believe the Bieste storyline still and that Sam is going to be a big part of it.

It's just Ryan Murphy reinforcing what he said off season, that the  Sam character has always been "Storyline Heavy" as far as Glee. (rolling eyes, didn't they fire him after season 2?)

We also know Sam's going to be instrumental in Spencer joining Glee, as well as the eventual Samchel pairing.

Looking at the first 2 episodes and now this 3rd episode spoilers, I think it is going to be Deleastreet as far those 3 characters taking turns being in the middle of all the  whole story lines as lead characters.  Episode 2 Blaine didn't sing but he had more of a lead than any of the other characters not named Rachel even at Dalton.

Edited by caracas1914

I cant believe the Bieste storyline still and that Sam is going to be a big part of it.   It seems so out of place with the whole 3 glee clue scenrio.  I like Beiste well enough but not really her for a out of the blue Bieste storyline featuring Sam.   How are the others going to be a part of this storyline  to integrate it more?

And Puck is in the episode for apparently no reason at all. Normally I'd complain, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near that trainwreck, so, take it away, Sam.

I don't really mind Will placating Rachel. She's not his student anymore, so I'm not sure it would be right for him to do anything else.

If he cares about her, he needs to be honest with her. Whatever role he is taking in her life now, mentor, friend, etc. those are the types of people who are honest with you, no matter how much it may hurt. Actually because she isn't his student anymore, I would think he would even more free to be real with her. Somebody needs to. Telling her what she wants to hear is not helping her.

• Love 1

And Puck is in the episode for apparently no reason at all. Normally I'd complain, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near that trainwreck, so, take it away, Sam.

Puck being their for Bieste would make complete sense. They've got a history which Sam does have to the same extent with Bieste.

• Love 1
As far as Rachel I could buy that she got bored by the job eventually, because in her immaturity she was more into the accolades than the work, but I couldn't buy it happened after merely a month on Broadway.

It's the same as Burt and Carol getting married within a week, Klaine getting engaged within 2 days after reuniting and now getting married within 2-3 weeks of reuniting.

And I'm sure there are other examples of Glee not having the patience to set things up properly, let alone giving them a reasonable time to develop.

As for Rachel and the Funny Girl storyline: as much as I indeed didn't buy she'd get bored playing the lead in a Broadway show in a month, I also didn't buy her getting that lead as a NYADA freshman with no significant experience either. The only difference is that the latter was something positive for Rachel while the former reflected negatively on her character.

It all comes back to shitty writing.

Did they record the Brittana duet in someone's garage? Oy, what an awful sound.

If he cares about her, he needs to be honest with her. Whatever role he is taking in her life now, mentor, friend, etc. those are the types of people who are honest with you, no matter how

much it may hurt. Actually because she isn't his

student anymore, I would think he would even

more free to be real with her. Somebody needs

to. Telling her what she wants to hear is not

helping her.

True. Wasn't Rachel already beating herself up, though? I think at that point the guys just didn't want to pile on.

I wonder how much Will even knows about the situation.

• Love 1

Wasn't Rachel already beating herself up, though? I think at that point the guys just didn't want to pile on. I wonder how much Will even knows about the situation.

The rise and fall of their local heroine would have been an oft-told legend in Lima and its environs. Musically precocious youngsters would have had it as a bedtime story from helicopter parents. "The Ballad of Rachel Berry" would have been performed countless times in folk music coffeehouses all across northwestern Ohio, causing even world-weary baristas to weep. Will himself had watched the sitcom and had the video. Rachel had kept in close contact with Will throughout the lead-up to FG. He cried when she told him about a callback. He went to opening night. But here is where it gets complicated. Will is married, to a woman. Will had been married before, also to a woman. Will, therefore, is in a position of having the personal experience wherein he just may know a little something about women. So, unless he's a hopeless male jerk, he knows that women don't appreciate having their problems solved by know-it-all males who come bearing a list of things to do, or repeat back to them what they've already said they know, as though she were a child, an idiot, or both. They want emotional comfort, just as they are prone to offer it to another woman in trouble. Some, of course, will never be satisfied until "The Careericide of Rachel Berry (illustrated)" is available for sale on Amazon. Edited by Higgs

So, unless he's a hopeless male jerk, he knows that women don't appreciate having their problems solved by know-it-all males who come bearing a list of things to do, or repeating back to them what they've already said they know. They want emotional comfort, just as they are prone to offer it to another woman in trouble.

Neither the writers of this show nor the character of Will have ever shown any indication in the past that they possess this knowledge.

Neither the writers of this show nor the character of Will have ever shown any indication in the past that they possess this knowledge.

I don't think any of the guys on the show possess this knowledge.

• Love 1
Some, of course, will never be satisfied until "The Careericide of Rachel Berry (illustrated)" is available for sale on Amazon.

Perhaps you stick to what people are actually posting instead of assuming what "some" want.  For the record while I didn't want Will to pile on I also thought him and the others trying to convince Rachel that "That's So Rachel" was not so bad was ridiculous.  I think Rachel and Will would have been better served if Will straight up agreed with Rachel she made a mistake in taking that pilot and blowing up her Broadway career in the process but with a talent like hers there is a very good chance she can get back there if that is what she wants.  She just needs to get her bearings back and work hard.  There is a lot of room between coddling and the "tough love" a drill sergeant would dish out.

That is also one reason why Will agreeing get his kids to tank the invitational bugs me.  It doesn't speak well for him as a teacher for his current kids (VA) and it doesn't speak well for him as a mentor for Rachel.  As for him not being a good fit for VA from the start, I think they are going for that bu,t when he agrees to Rachel's request regarding the invitational, for me it weighs the scales towards the kids have sensed from the start that his heart is still at McKinley and have reacted accordingly so if they don't respect him that is on him.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 3

That is also one reason why Will agreeing get his kids to tank the invitational bugs me.  It doesn't speak well for him as a teacher for those current kids and it doesn't speak well for him as a mentor for Rachel.  As for him not being a good fit for VA from the start, I think they are going for that but when he agrees to Rachel's request regarding the invitational for me it weighs the scales towards the kids have sensed from the start that his heart is still at McKinley and have reacted accordingly so if they don't respect him that is on him.

It's such a stupid plotline. In four years the new new new new New Directions will be made up of completely different students. What if that group of kids wants to be soulless automatons who clobber the competition? Is Will just going to quit every time his Glee Club isn't made up of a bunch of rag tag, aw shucks, the worlds against us ragamuffins?

Well to me the VA kids  have every reason to believe Rachel, at least, is a jackass who deserves nothing but their scorn.  After all she goes to their coach and plays on her relationship with him to try and get them to tank their performance.  Why should they respect or care about her feelings at all?  That said I am sure it will be written like I am supposed to think those VA kids are awful but with the spoilers we have I probably won't buy that near as much as RM and team try to sell it

This is the problem when RM and team write plot points instead of stories.   

Edited by camussie
  • Love 2

Well, McKinley is also where Will's wife and only adult friend is. ND was also his refuge during the darkest time in his life, so him being attached to it doesn't seem stupid to me.

Clearly he won't handle it all well, but his feelings make sense to me,

• Love 1

Good point Will isn't simply attached to ND due to them being rag tag underdogs. He attended Mckinley himself as a student, met both of his wives there. reforming ND as an adult provided him self worth during a toxic breaking down marriage. That club means a hellva lot to him and he didn't leave it by his own choice, Sue fired him but that's where his heart is.

Edited by Pink ranger
  • Love 1

I get him being attached but I don't get him being attached to the point where he is willing to throw his current students under the bus for kids who happen to sit in the McKinley high school choir room.  To me that says he really won't give his all to coaching a Glee club unless he is coaching at McKinley and if that is the case then he should own up to it and leave Carmel.  No matter how competitive the kids at VA are they deserve more than a coach who is half-assing it with them because he really wants to be somewhere else.

Also let me say as someone who has always liked Will I want a better story for him than this so hopefully it improves after he decides not to do what Rachel asks.  I would prefer if he was giving his all to VA from there on out and then if/when the McKinley spot opens up at the end of the season he decides he will go back.

Edited by camussie

Didn't his voiceover say that Will was being paid 5/6 times his McKinley salary (I'm guessing for teaching versus VA choir director since ND was a voluntary thing).

So huge salary increase, and I imagine quantum leap in budget for VA, it would seem he owes VA to put their interest first. There are ways he could encourage Rachel/ND without making his own Glee club underperform.

And not surprisingly it also muddles the "arts are important" message.  Apparently they are but only if you happen to be going to McKinley high school and maybe Dalton Academy.  If you are from a more privileged district where your principal/cheerleading coach isn't a sociopath then the arts?  Not so important or at least not important enough that your coach should coach you to the best of his abilities.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

I can understand Will having a sentimental attachment to the New Directions and nostalgia for WMHS, but what I can't understand is how he could let it effect his judgment to the point of putting his career and income in jeopardy. He has a family and current students who are depending on him to give them his best, I'm sure these kids don't expect their teacher to treat them as 2nd class nobodies because of his past interaction with a rival school. He had an unprofessional attachment to some of his students in my opinion and his favoritism towards certain students was obvious as a neon sign pointing to those students. But he is an adult who has a professional job and a responsibility to the current students under his charge. Feel what you must for your former pupils, support and encourage them even, but shouldn't he be doing just as much for his current students? He was given a "Teacher Of The Year" award from those merits you could think he should be able to adjust the attitudes of Vocal Adrenaline if they are indeed little shits or assholes. But when you go in and let those kids sense that your heart and dedication isn't really with them, then I think these kids are having a natural reaction to that. I'm sure the egging of Rachel and Blaine will be used to show what unruly little twits these kids are. Wonder if they show what leads up to the egging with range and not a condensed viewing and no its not right to egg anyone, no one deserves that. But really is risking losing your source of income, self-respect, and professionalism really worth propping up Rachel one more time by him?

Didn't his voiceover say that Will was being paid 5/6 times his McKinley salary (I'm guessing for teaching versus VA choir director since ND was a voluntary thing).

Didn't Will have to pay the school some kind of rental fee to get to run show choir? Putting a multiplier on a negative number only makes it worse. It'd have to be the teaching salary, but there's no public or private school who pays anybody except a football coach that much. 

But really is risking losing your source of income, self-respect, and professionalism really worth propping up Rachel one more time by him?

He's done that like it's his job for years. It seems at least as plausible as Blaine dating Karofsky. 

Edited by ComfySweater

How do we know that Sues dosent paint Wills actions as far worse than it was to Carmel high? Maybe all he says to Rachel is that he will not go all out war like competitive at the invitationals but play it as a kind of exhibition performance just for fun, he doesn't hurt VA in any way but Sue twists it to he is sabotaging the group.

Edited by Pink ranger

How do we know Sue's not some kind of evil wizard from Mordor? There are a lot of things we could make up that are more interesting than anything this show will ever give us. At some point we have to accept some things at face value no matter how stupid they may seem as we're watching Glee. It's really that bad a show. I'd be more ashamed of myself had I not watched every single season of America's Next Top Model too. 

• Love 1

If his VA kids have practiced and are prepared to put on a performance he should not hold them back - even if it makes the other choirs present feel inadequate.  Blaine rightfully tells Rachel no.  Certainly Will saying yes is not akin to murder but it still an annoying turn for a character I generally like and more than that it is manipulative writing that tries to sell the concept that the arts matter as long as you go to McKinley high.

Edited by camussie

Chord is in the video talking as himself too. I not sure what is up with all the fabulous and sassy stuff and hand gestures.

Kurt is fabulous. Elliot was fabulous. Spencer, I wouldn't say so . But that's Chord for you. He may be, but I've never found him funny, based on what little bts's and stuff llike that I've seen. 

Edited by fakeempress

I'm trying to reserve judgment until I see the story arc play out since we know so little. I'm sure there will be some sort of payoff half-assed though it may be.

You're nicer than I am. I'm calling bullshit now. If I'm proved wrong later I'll own it. They've dropped so many plots along the way there's no benefit of the doubt coming from these parts. They might play this out, but usually they get distracted by something shiny or more recently socially relevant. I'm honestly amazed we haven't had Jake back to be shot by the police for reaching in his pocket for his iPod. It's the only current social issue story they haven't done.

I don't think it'll be satisfying necessarily. I just don 't think the writers will present the situation as " It's totally okay that Willl is throwing his own team under the bus for Rachel."

For the umpteenth time:

1. "Invitationals" isn't a competition.

2. There is no judging.

3. There are no awards.

4. There is no victory, and no defeat.

5. There is no bus to throw anyone under.

6. Nothing that happens in any of the performances is of lasting (i.e., more than 1 hour) significance.

7. It's extremely difficult to motivate a team when there is no competition.

8. Everyone associated with VA desperately needs ND to come together, for their own sakes.

9. No one on VA needs to perform less than their best or "to tank their performance". They just need to dump the triple back-flip routines by the 20+-year-olds. The ND soloists are better than VA's, and they both use the same choristers.

10. The main competition should ultimately be over which choir director first wins this: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/12/theater/theaterspecial/tony-award-for-teachers.html?ref=theater&_r=0

Edited by Higgs

Everybody understands that it isn't a competition. No need to break out the numbers.

Personally, whether or not the outcome of a particular competition-esque situation really mattered, I wouldn't take kindly to being asked to throw it to make someone else feel better. That's not fair to the people who worked hard to prepare for it and it does a disservice to the "lesser" team (especially if they find out that people basically took pity on them; no one likes that).

• Love 3

That the invitational isn't a competition, is irrelevant. Sports do something like that irl, friendly meets outside competitions but there aren't any expectations that one team will underperform to motivate the other. In any case, ND is Rachel's, not Will's responsibility despite Will's emotional attachment, and Rachel should't be pulling on Will's strings to motivate her team in an unearned, and in the final count unproductive way. If she's worth her salt  as choir director, she should be trying to motivate them herself. 

Edited by fakeempress

I don't see anyone calling it a competition nor saying anything about there being judges.  I see people saying that it isn't fair of Will to ask his team have been working hard to put together their performances not do their best just to make ND feel better all because Rachel asks him to.  It doesn't reflect well on Will and it doesn't reflect well on Rachel especially since one thing she should be developing, if she wants to go back to Broadway as she says she does, is a thicker skin and a better work ethic 

Edited by camussie

I finally got a chance to watch the sneak peak.  After all this back and forth on the invitational stuff and about Will throwing his students under the bus, I thought there'd be something in the sneak peak.  What are people talking about?  Is it just the spoilers that were released a while back?  If so, I do think people need to wait for the episode to air to really make a judgement on what Rachel asked and what Will agreed to.  The stuff between Kurt and Rachel played out very differently than what everyone thought, and this may very well too.

Also, I do think an invitational (i.e., no competition) is a different environment than a competitive environment.  Someone above equated it to something like an exhibition games in sports, and yes people don't give minimal effort, but teams certainly rest their star players.  It's still not really appropriate of Rachel to ask that of Will, but if that's what Will agreed to, I don't think that's really a big a deal for Will to do.  Point is, it doesn't seem like we really know what's going on yet.

Last point, did the writers re-write history again?  I don't the invitational in season 1 even had other schools perform with New Directions or am I forgetting?

• Love 1

The songs for next episode are out on iTunes. A few observations:

- I never knew how much I needed a Quinn/Tina duet until now

- The newbies still sound great in the clip

- The mashups work really well together (Brittana one being the only one that doesn't fit seamlessly IMO, but I don't even hate it)

- Klaine sound good in theirs, and hell the lyrics actually seem to match their current situation!

Just listened to the songs for episode 3, and although they don't sound bad the arrangements for all (except Brittana's song) sound awfully slow and familiar in each one. And the mash-up of You Learn/You Got A Friend is too busy with them cropping off each other. Again, they aren't bad just sound strangely arranged to/for my ear.

Sound similar vice familiar.

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 1

I mind a familiar sounding cover less when the song is older, but You Learn/You've Got a Friend sounded too muzaky to me. It's grown on me with a couple of listens, tho. I liked the other songs, particularly So Far Away. Jenna and Diana sound really pretty on that one.

I liked the other songs, particularly So Far Away. Jenna and Diana sound really pretty on that one.

I've waited six seasons for those two to duet I was praying I was going to like the song, especially given the storyline they have is awful. But I love it, I can see that becoming one of my favourite glee tracks.

I don't think it'll be satisfying necessarily. I just don 't think the writers will present the situation as " It's totally okay that Willl is throwing his own team under the bus for Rachel."

The writers thought it totally okay for Will to steal a jacket from a grieving former student and letting another former student get the blame for it, so I wouldn't be so sure that Will gets called out for putting ND before VA in 6x03.

On the other hand: the writers also love throwing Will (as a teacher) under the bus, so it could go either way.

But tbh, I blame Rachel the most here, for going to not only VA but also the Warblers to ask to underperform. Her lack of confidence/faith in her own choir combined with her trying to cut corners again is annoying.

I like most of the 6x03 songs, except the Brittana duet. The mash-ups were done surprisingly well considering the 2 very different styles of Carole King and Alanis Morissette, although the arrangement were, as per usual these days, a bit bland and lacking the needed soul.

The guy who plays Mason has a very pleasant voice. I absolutely love the Quinn/Tina duet (why, oh why did they not mix up the singers more when they had the chance, instead of mostly sticking to the romantic relationships?), and am also very fond of the group song 'You Learn/You've Got a Friend'.

Edited by Glorfindel