Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Discussion

Glory

If RIB moved the show entirely to the MKH group in Season 5 without Finn in the picture, I'd have been free of Glee already! 

God, I'd have been stuck watching! Well I have watched just bits here and there, and mostly I end up thinking I hate them all. With the exceptions of Puck, Quinn, Tina, Mike and Kitty. 

Though the spoilers are trying to ruin the last three for me. 

• Love 1

I love how Mike ended his run on the show.  Not ruined at all for me.  I think he ends the show better than all of them combined.  Still don't see how it is his responsibility to marry a trainwreck like Tina just so she doesn't end up with Artie.  

As for Kitty, if she ends up with Roderick, I still don't see how he is so beneath her. From what little we know about him he comes across as a good guy.  Shy but still a good guy.  At least he never tried to push someone into an eating disorder - something Kitty never really seemed to regret at all.  

Edited by camussie

It's not Mike's responsibility but he obviously still loves Tina and he doesn't end up with her so a white guy can.

Roderick is a whiny egotistical loser. Is Kitty destined to date losers forever because she made a mistake at sixteen? Is she suppose to think she's not worthy of being loved and respected. Or is she suppose to be grateful a Nice Guy wants her?

That's exactly what I expect for this misogynist shit show.

Was it?They were the poorest episodes of season 5. Who wants to watch a show about selfish awful people being selfish and awful?

Mileage varies.   Season 4/5 extended school year was a special hell as far as I was concerned.

Goodness knows the writing had already gone to hell regardless, but in hindsight Ryan Murphy, forced to move everything to New York, simply decided to shut down NY and sow it with salt.

Throwing everyone back to McKinley in Season 6 certainly hasn't improved things.  Like I said, at least in NY Glee it focused on core characters.  Season 6 has had too much Becky, Warblers VA with the lead singer getting interminable solos, Noobs whose SL's end soon, etc.

If i had to bear one last abbreviated season of Glee, (I admit it was going to be horrible as a given)  at least go down with characters I know having the actual storylines. 

• Love 4

Roderick is a whiny egotistical loser. Is Kitty destined to date losers forever because she made a mistake at sixteen? Is she suppose to think she's not worthy of being loved and respected. Or is she suppose to be grateful a Nice Guy wants her?

That's exactly what I expect for this misogynist shit show.

How has Roderick shown he is an egotistical, whiny, loser?  Also my point about Kitty isn't that she should settle or be grateful she may end up with Roderick but rather, from what little we know about Roderick, he is a good guy.  Not perfect but still a good guy.  It isn't that Kitty is beneath him but rather that he isn't beneath Kitty so she wouldn't be settling for anything.  I truly don't see how she is so so fabulously perfect and he is such a loser.   

Then again I also don't buy into the idea that the women on this show are so much better than the men, especially the white men.  Some are.  Some aren't.  

It's not Mike's responsibility but he obviously still loves Tina and he doesn't end up with her so a white guy can

Wasn't obvious to me at all that he was still in love with Tina.  Cared about her and would always have a place in his heart for his first love?  Sure but not in love with her.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 3

Do we even know that Roderick is interested in women? I mean, I assume he is, but have we seen him being romantically interested in anyone? I don't see how anyone can refer to him as a "Nice Guy" when we haven't seen how he treats women at all. We have no clue if he'd cozy up to a woman and pretend to be her friend with the expectation that she "owes" him sex down the road.

• Love 1

Sorry is "nice guy" like a trope or code for something? Just curious.

Nice Guy Syndrome:

A annoying mental condition in which a heterosexual man concocts over simplified ideas why women aren’t flocking to him in droves. Typically this male will whine and complain about how women never want to date them because he is “too nice” or that he is average in appearance. He often targets a woman who is already in a relationship; misrepresenting his intentions of wanting to be her friend and having the expectation that he is owed more than friendship because he is such a good listener. He is prone to brooding over this and passive aggressive behavior.

He is too stupid to realize the reason women don’t find him attractive is because he feels sorry for himself, he concludes that women like to be treated like shit.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Nice+Guy+Syndrome

I don't see how anyone can refer to him as a "Nice Guy" when we haven't seen how he treats women at all.

I referred to him as a good guy, specifically avoiding the words "nice guy" due to the trope it represents, because right now that is how he comes across to me.  He gets along with his teammates to the point where he hasn't held Spencer's insults against him. Hasn't been disrespectful of anyone.  Overall right now he seems like a decent person, shy but decent, and certainly not a whiny egotistical loser, which is why I don't think it would be beneath Kitty to end up with him. 

Edited by camussie
Wasn't Roderick the the one singing about 'skinny bitches'?

I don't think that was his or Mercedes literal view on the world especially since I haven't seen either one of them be condescending towards skinny women.  They were at a party karaoke-ing and sang a song that is popular at the moment.  Nothing more and nothing less.  Sometimes a song is just a song.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1
The blazers make them look like a hebephile's fantasy.

You must live in a place where ephebes sport quite mature looks.

To my eyes, most of ND and of the Warblers appear like they are at least of college age and not quite of the physical type that could qualify as "ephebes". Either in bazers or tunics.

But the corollary of your point is then that the blazers make them look closer to the age of their characters and that they are then more credible visually.

• Love 1

Has there been anyone else singing about insulting they're romantic interest? I totally believe glee would do that, I just can't think of any.

LOL.  I don't even think that was what was happening at all with All About that Bass , but if you want to go down the path of someone singing an insulting song to a love love interest, that's like every character at some point in time.  Classic example:  Fat Bottomed Girls anyone?

They apparently screened "2009" before the Paley fest panel tonight.  It seems from the different tweets I saw there is a segment somewhat focused on each of the original 5 with the last segment having a bit of a Finn and Will focus and the episode ends with DSB.  I have to admit that pleasantly surprises me.  I thought they were going to simply leave all references to Finn out like they did with Previously Unaired Christmas

As for the Blaine/Kurt near miss (at the Lima Bean) I think that is a decent enough way to have Blaine in the episode.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 2

Also from Paley, someone (Amber? the camera was showing the audience) said 'watch the final episode" when an audience girl said she wished Samcedes ended together. Also, re 2009, Schue and Sue were  once friends and played basketball? together or something like that.

The Kurt and Blaine near miss is laying it oh so thick with the meant for each other soulmates, life after life crap, but is predictable and expected. I'm still curious how much retconning there will be about the originals. 

Edited by fakeempress

So the preview shows the first of the recons is that Rachel and Kurt just met.

We know from Accafella's they have known each other for years since he tells Mercedes he has had a crush on her for years.

So the preview shows the first of the recons is that Rachel and Kurt just met.

We know from Accafella's they have known each other for years since he tells Mercedes he has had a crush on her for years.

I don't remember that well,  wasn't the context that he was making all of it up as an excuse why he can't date Mercedes -- because he was still avoiding coming out to her?  

Edited by fakeempress

Also from Paley, someone (Amber? the camera was showing the audience) said 'watch the final episode" when an audience girl said she wished Samcedes ended together. 

I think it was Lea who told the girl that. I think Lea just spoil the fact that Samcedes will end-up together. I think most of us knew that already, even thought some of us were hopping we were wrong.

I don't remember that well,  wasn't the context that he was making it up as an excuse why he can't date Mercedes?  

Yeah, Kurt never had a crush of Rachel but he didn't want to out himself to Mercedes by telling her that it was Finn. So he lied and said, his crush was Rachel.

Yeah, I think it was that he was in love with Rachel for several years, and all of it was a lie. There is some wiggle room in 2009 that they just met but depending on when that :just met" is in time. 

Edited by fakeempress

Sam/Mercedes ending up together now is gross to me.  Not because i think Mercedes is beneath him but because it seems like she told him to go screw Rachel's pain away and now that he finished doing that they can get back together.  Just yucky to me.  I much prefer Sam to end up with someone like Nurse Penny and Mercedes to end up with someone like her Christian rock boyfriend.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

Yeah, I think it was that he was in love with Rachel for several years, and all of it was a lie. There is some wiggle room in 2009 that they just met but depending on when that :just met" is in time. 

But I think Mercedes would have known if he knew her that long or not was the point.

Edited by tom87

But I think Mercedes would have known if he knew her that long or not was the point.

But the thing is that they live in a small town and most of them probably have been going to school together since kindergarten. So I would assumed they knew off each other, even if they weren't friendly or really knew each other. Mercedes probably assumed that Kurt had this crush on Rachel for yrs without ever really knowing her, all from just seeing her around the town/schools. 

Sam/Mercedes ending up together now is gross to me.  Not because i think Mercedes is beneath him but because it seems like she told him to go screw Rachel's pain away and now that he finished doing that they can get back together.  Just yucky to me.  I much prefer Sam to end up with someone like Nurse Penny and Mercedes to end up with someone like her Christian rock boyfriend.  

I agree, down to Sam and Nurse Penny seem like the couple who can live a nice small town life. But Samcedes as endgame will piss off the Mercedes haters so I can squint and live with Samcedes. 

That's what I meant when in time they meet, because wasn't it implied they didn't associate with each other before Glee Club so they wouldn't have known who really knows who for how long. I don't remember if there were other references afterwards if they knew each other from junior high or before, and even from the ballet classes as kids. Not that I'm saying it's not a retcon, the show is a total mess with continuity, and 2009 sounds like retcons waiting to happen to me. 

Edited by fakeempress

Ah the promo for the 2hr finale is fantastic. Hopefully the 2hrs lives up to the promo. I think it was a good move to move '2009' to the finale. It will allow those people tuning in for the final episode but have stopped watching to not have to have any prior knowledge of Season 6, My only complain is that the ending number looks really great but no matter how great it may be, a little part of me will be forever disappointed that Melissa Benoist wasn't able to make it to the filming, so I feel I won't have complete closure with the show and with what that scene wants me to ultimately feel. For some reason, it really doesn't bother me that Damian McGinty couldn't make the filming.

Sam/Mercedes ending up together now is gross to me.  Not because i think Mercedes is beneath him but because it seems like she told him to go screw Rachel's pain away and now that he finished doing that they can get back together.  Just yucky to me.  I much prefer Sam to end up with someone like Nurse Penny and Mercedes to end up with someone like her Christian rock boyfriend.

Still wrestling with this myself.I'm just going to try to block that part out.  But, the awful part of me will be happy that those who were so sure that Mercedes and Sam would never end up together/she's not good enough for him/"just doesn't look like right with him" (my personal favorite) will be left sputtering. I know. Petty. I'm working on it. Also the other thing I remind myself is that Mercedes and Sam being together wouldn't necessarily require either one to give up their dreams. Especially Mercedes. She can be a recording artist and tour from anywhere. Lima can be her home base and Sam can hold down the homefront and do his coaching thing (if that is the dream they stick to for him). Oh Glee......giving me what I originally wanted, but screwing it up so bad, that now I don't. 

• Love 1

Mercedes would have told Sam to go ahead and have a normal dating life date again regardless when she found him still waiting around for her.   She wasn't going to string him along.

Edited by tom87

Mercedes would have told Sam to go ahead and have a normal dating life date again regardless when she found him still waiting around for her.   She wasn't going to string him along.

Sure. And that would have been fine if she wasn't encouraging him to date/screw one of her good friends. That is never not going to be weird. And the timing was all in a matter of months.A friend dating another friends ex happens. Depending on the circumstances I think it's kind of icky, but it happens. But friend number 1 being the main cheerleader for the new pairing? I could totally see Mercedes being all, "Move on. Date other people." That is basically what they decided on when they broke up. That it wasn't the right time for them and they shouldn't force it. I think she even said, she knew he was going to be with other girls and that it would burn. So to have her advocate for Sam to date Rachel? And then hang around Lima for no explicable reason to see it? Nobody is that magnanimous. I just think it diminishes the relationship I think Rachel and Mercedes have had over the years and especially at the end of Season 5 and it diminishes the relationship they built up for Sam and Mercedes. I think all 3 end up looking bad. If they were set on  doing Sam/Rachel I wish they had just left Mercedes out of it.

My only complain is that the ending number looks really great but no matter how great it may be, a little part of me will be forever disappointed that Melissa Benoist wasn't able to make it to the filming, so I feel I won't have complete closure with the show and with what that scene wants me to ultimately feel.

I'm the same. For me Marley was a big part of the show, but Melissa's moved on to much greener pastures can't blame her for not coming back.

• Love 1

Okay that promo with the I Lived performance makes me a little emotional. I hate myself.

Same here. I just made myself watch it. Then I watched it again. Sigh.....I'm probably going to gobble up whatever they shovel out next week. No use fighting it.

• Love 1

I'm not like Groff seemingly being a huge part of I Lived.

Got a funny feeling I'll be watching for about 30 seconds for about 6 actors who'll barely get a look in.

I doubt Groff even has a line he is just singing along like everyone else.    

• Love 1

Wasn't that just him and Rachel singing in the clip? And they were standing alone away from everyone else.

It was like 1 second of a 30 second clip.   You can see them mouthing  the lyrics with every broken bone and it is just sounds like the group singing.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or what, but if they want to let Groff sing a lot of vocals on I Lived, I honestly don't care. He and Matt have the best male voices out of everyone on that stage. I know that Jesse wasn't really a part of the show over the last 5 years, but he was a big part of season 1, and season 1/2 is pretty much the only reason I'm so nostalgic about this final number anyway. 

• Love 7