Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Discussion

Glory

Just was reminded of episode 4 song and boy what a waste.

One by Sue, a duet by Sam and Rachel and 2 songs by VA.

Really? 

Gross, I won't even stream that episode. Are they really wasting screentime and songs on non-entities like VA? What a stupid choice.

If I just heard they were doing that type of episode I would have thought it would have something to do w/ the Leelah Alcorn situation not to mention capitalizing on Laverne Cox's popularity and message.

I honestly think it's just emmy bait for Dot.

I think Glee has lost the cachet to get nominations.

Edited by fakeempress

Couldn't remember if the episode 3 song spoilers were posted or not. But here's a reminder:

“It’s Too Late” by Carole King – Sung by Kurt and Blaine
“Hand in My Pocket/I Feel the Earth Move" by Alanis Morissette/Carole King – Sung by Santana and Brittany
“Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow/Head over Feet” by Carole King/Alanis Morissette – Sung by Mason and Jane
“So Far Away” – by Carole King/Alanis Morissette – Sung by Quinn and Tina
“You Learn/You’ve Got a Friend” – by Alanis Morissette/Carole King – Sung by Rachel, Santana, Kurt, Brittany, Quinn, Tina, Puck, and New Directions

(source)

Speaking of episode 4, according to MJs spoilers It includes an invitational where Rachel asks Will for VA to go easy on her club to avoid their fledgling spirits being crushed. He agrees but then Sue finds out and tattles to VA who demands Will to resign. Later on a Sue hypnotised Sam tells Will that Rachel is trying to sabotage him. Will gets angry then tells VA to demolish ND.

The premiere showed a great disconnect between Will and his club. He Isnt a soleness a anamaton and they roll their eyes and don't listen to him in practice.

I hope that Wills story in 4 isn't as messy as it sounds in the spoilers. I can't work out what the eventual outcome going to be from it. I hope that he comes out of it well. I feel like he hasnt been a rock solid teacher figure in years ( protecting the kids in the school shooting ) and I want him to end the series on a high note being protrayed as a stong leader for ND for its ongoing legacy.

Edited by Pink ranger

I'm pretty sure that Will is going to be portrayed as in the wrong for agreeing to throw the Invitational( or at least I hope so) but I also think VA are going to be presented as villains. They break into McKinley(either in episode 6 or 7), and they're likely the ones who egg Rachel and Blaine in 7. I'll be shocked if Will isn't back with ND by the series finale.

It's not in the same episode. The Invitationals stuff is in 4 and 5. VA don't start being villainous until 7(or is it 6?) as far as we know.

Let's also remember that Will ONLY tells VA to dominate because he thinks Rachel wants to sabotage him. It's not really who he is.

I was only referring to the invitational stuff in 4. Will the story be that he is too ideologicly mismatched as a coach to VA that him agreeing to throw the invitation is a blessing and a sign that he should leave that job or will his anger over Rachel's preceived betrayal turn him into a VA ideal ruthless coach.

I"m having a hard time envisioning any school choir director somehow inducing  his students to perform less than their best under any circumstances.

The only analogy I can think of is a team coach who refuses to let his team run up the score in a lopsided game, but even then, that only happens when the outcome has already been decided.

As a "performing arts" director to me that would be grounds for getting fired, as well as an egregious lack of ethics.  Throwing his current students under the bus for students of his prior school. 

Edited by caracas1914

The invitational isn't an actual official competition though, no one is going to lose or gain anything from the outcome. It's like in hairography. The other two schools seemed more invested in the oppotunity to use mckinleys facilities than in actively competing. Heck when the the deaf kids performed Imagine ND ended up singing with them and the excersie was more about having fun together.

Will might just tell VA to tone it down for that event that it is just for fun and getting to know the other teams but that sectionals will be taken seriously.

Problem is that Will letting VA perform under their capabilities is not helping the kids of ND at all.

If the ND kids see their biggest rivals perform at either a lower level than theirs or on approximately the same level they'll think they don't have to work that hard and improve anymore. Then the result will be that they will be crushed by VA at Sectionals. Seeing a competing choir performing above your own level may be disheartening at first, but it also sparks the will to improve, to do better, to at least try to get near that same level of performance.

Rachel and Will are doing ND no favors with their little scheming. Drive and a healthy competition spirit is very important for a competing team, and Rachel and Will want to take that away from the ND kids because Rachel thinks they can't handle defeat (although imo it's Rachel who can't take the defeat, projecting that on the kids).

And just imagine how the ND kids will feel if they find out about Rachel asking another choir to go easy on them? They will rightfully assume that their own coach doesn't think very highly of their talents and qualities, and that she doesn't believe in them giving a good performance.

Will putting the well-being of a rival choir over that of his own is maybe one of the worst things he's done as a teacher, and that's saying something. I don't care about the nostalic feelings he might still have for ex-ND Rachel (not the new ND, cause Will doesn't even know those new kids), as the present responsibility Will has for VA should overrule that.

I don't even care if he doesn't have any warm feelings for the VA kids and they seem to look down on him (that's also partly his own problem he should work on). He's getting paid 5 times more than what he got ar McKinley, for God's sake, so at least he should do his job properly.

I care more about Will than a bunch of random VA kids though. If he is in an unfavourable position teaching them then I want him to be where he is more respected and enjoys

more.

I think a lot of us agree there.

That doesn't make what he almost does right, though. I still sympathize with Will, and I think all of this COULD be an interesting story line for him in the long run, but he's in the wrong here.

Edited by Sara2009

The invitational isn't an actual official competition though, no one is going to lose or gain anything from the outcome.

Exactly.

The portrayal of VA has never been anything less than dark, hyperbolic satire. In the real world, there is a great deal of camaraderie between the students and coaches of competing schools, especially in less popular activities. (Actually, show choir is not lacking in prestige in the schools that have it.) For reasons of both personal self-esteem and higher social status, it is in the interests of all participants to make their passion as widely practiced and popular as possible. They would want and actively encourage every school in the area to take up the activity and offer serious competition. So if Rachel feared an all-out VA performance might imperil the reconstitution of ND, and given her experience of once being spooked herself by VA and her familiarity with her own set of kids, any VA coach would likely respect her judgment and accede to her request.

Will would not need to ask anyone to perform below their best. He could simply send in his second string soloists (perhaps by imposing an age cutoff of 22) or drop a spectacular acrobatic dance routine. (ND has now, and always has had, better soloists than VA. Both employ the same group of professional session vocalists.) If he were the coach of a powerful chess team, he would behave similarly in a non-elimination tournament if it meant encouraging another school in getting its chess program up and running, and his students would be completely on board with it. Refusing to help at all would be not merely OOC, but professionally unethical, if his professional responsibilities are understood to include respect for his subject throughout the entire community.

Edited by Higgs
  • Love 1

That's fine in " the real world" but, as you said, that's not the mindset of the Glee Vocal Adrenaline who are defined as take no prisoners competitors.

IOW, for VA to take it easy is way out of character. For Will to have them underperform under the radar would probably not go at all unnoticed, and from spoilers, it doesn't.

Edited by caracas1914

All of this is why I find Will's story line intriguing so far. If the writers are wanting to portray Will as a bad fit for VA, they're doing a decent job of it.

I wonder if all of this is going to culminate in Emma giving Will another speech about how " The only life worth living is the one you're really passionate about."

That's fine in " the real world" but, as you said, that's not the mindset of the Glee Vocal Adrenaline who are defined as take no prisoners competitors.

IOW, for VA to take it easy is way out of character. For Will to have them underperform under the radar would probably not go at all unnoticed, and from spoilers, it doesn't.

But, strictly speaking, there are no "competitors" in an "invitational" (or in a "showcase", Carmen), just participants with a passion in common. This is the sort of event that Glee should have been doing frequently all along to justify assigning a wider variety of ND's members as soloists in big formal numbers.

I have no interest in Glee's harebrained plots, only in "real world" implications. Therefore, even as I only watch for Lea, the best thing that could happen to promote arts in the schools is for Rachel to turn down a big Broadway offer and stay with ND. (If they could find some rationale to have her feed a live Sue into a wood chipper, so much the better.) A teacher (like Will) who is remembered by their students throughout their lives is worth more than 100 Broadway stars.

Edited by Higgs

But, strictly speaking, there are no "competitors" in an "invitational". This is the sort of event that Glee should have been doing frequently all along to justify assigning a wider variety of ND'

s members as soloists in big formal numbers.

I have no interest in Glee's harebrained plots, only in "real world" implications. Therefore, even as I only watch for Lea, the best thing that could happen to promote arts in the schools is for Rachel to turn down a big Broadway offer and

stay with ND. (If they could find some rationale

to have her feed a live Sue into a wood chipper,

so much the better.) A teacher (like Will) who is

remembered by their students throughout their

lives is worth more than 100 Broadway

stars.

I thought you liked Matt Morrison as a performer too?

I loved how Blaine is telling Kurt that they need to be adults and move on, and yet the moment that friction/misunderstandings arise he accuses Kurt of reacting in jealousy to him and Karofsky.  Projecting much, Blaine?

Of the new characters I actually liked the ones who will probably get the least amount of focus, the incest Cheerio Twins.  They actually  remind me of Glee choir kids I was familiar with in school, not so much social outcasts or misfits but just kids who inhabited a show/choir/performance universe of their own in their heads.  Theatre kids for lack of a better word. They didn't care about social status perse, they were "up" with performing...LOL

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Rachel belongs on Broadway IMO. She said herself in the premier that coaching ND was only a tempoary thing for a couple of months while she pulls herself back together. Becoming a HS teacher really dosent gell with her characterisation of the first 5 seasons.

• Love 2

Therefore, even as I only watch for Lea, the best thing that could happen to promote arts in the schools is for Rachel to turn down a big Broadway offer and stay with ND. (If they could find some rationale to have her feed a live Sue into a wood chipper, so much the better.) A teacher (like Will) who is remembered by their students throughout their lives is worth more than 100 Broadway stars

I don't think it's an either/or scenario. I don't see Rachel ending in Lima and if that turns out to be the case in the finale, I'll feel cheated, especially when they set up her return to BW as her long-term goal. They had the story about forgoing BW for the love of teaching, that was Will.

I also think the series may want to reward Will by for instance, becoming MKH Principal thus finally winning over Sue (Sue may retire, whatever,) and thus fashion a win for the arts in schools through this, and not through Rachel's permanent staying in Lima.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

If Rachel stays in Lima and her only outlet for performance is with a bunch of teens I think she could become a revengeful Sue 2.0.

Stopping at nothing to make MCK the premiere performing Art school in the country.

Really she would resent it and the kids around her sooner than later imo.  

Edited by tom87

Are you implying Rachel would become a 2.0 Cassie???Sti

Possible but with a cheerier disposition.

I just think she would be resentful.   She may put on  a brave face but it would eat away at her and who knows how that could manifest itself to the others.

You just do not turn off ambition and a type A personality that easily.. 

Nothing I write should be taken as a prediction of what will happen on Glee.

I haven't the slightest idea what the writers think or intend.

Everything that follows is my personal opinion.

Most Broadway musicals are for philistine tourists, tweens, and children.

Starring in a long-running Broadway musical is really hard work for all and a bore for many.

I saw MM live in South Pacific.

MM is the best male singer to ever perform on Glee.

MM is the most artistically expresseive dancer to ever perform on Glee.

Mark Salling's "No Surrender" was my favorite non-Lea solo ever performed on Glee.

Hypnotizing Sam to fall in love with Rachel is analogous to the role of the love potion in Wagner's "Tristan und Isolde".

Karofsky's reappearance is analogous to the parable of the Prodigal Son.

Blaine pairing up with Karofsky is analogous to Naya Rivera's behavior after being dumped.(http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/23/naya-rivera-wedding-married-ryan-dorsey-big-sean/)

No real world Rachel or Mercedes would ever even think of being with a Sam.

It doesn't matter in how many episodes Rachel is paired with someone; only the last ten minutes of the series finale matter.

No one should be made an everlasting slave to their adolescent goals.

Rachel's attitude toward whatever she ultimately chooses will be whatever the writers say it is.

A great teacher does a lot more than live vicariously through her students. (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadia_Boulanger)

Even a mediocre teacher can live a fulfilling life. (Read "Stoner", by John Williams)

Small cities like Lima, OH have branches of major universities with music departments that produce musicals. (Ohio State University at Lima is real.)

Teachers get two months off in the summer. Running a show choir isn't as time consuming as teaching AP History. Lima has an airport. Recording studios are not that far away in time.

Oh, and in my parallel universe version of Glee, about halfway through LLM, sitting on the VA stage, Rachel and Will kiss. With tongue. Screw Emma, I'm a fan of "The Affair".

Edited by Higgs

Seems they start back to work Monday, 1/12/15.

Some crew member also said 6 more weeks to film. 

According to a stand in chart, the stand in's for Sam and Rachel are reporting to set at 7 am. They will then be joined by Kurt, Bieste, Sue, and Will's stand in's.

So this likely means Chord and Lea are filming something and then they will be joined a little later on by the others. Also the newbies will be their as well going from the chart.

Edited by Hookian

No one should be made an everlasting slave to their adolescent goals.

Rachel's attitude toward whatever she ultimately chooses will be whatever the writers say it is.

THIS.  The first part is the reason why I honestly wouldn't feel cheated if Rachel decided not to pursue broadway.  I think in some ways people really do change and so do their goals.   She grew up wanting bright lights and stardom, she even had it for a little while and maybe ultimately, that won't be the path for her (for whatever reason).

And totally agree about Will/Rachel.   If I had a crack ship it would be those two together.

When she got FG, Rachel wasn't ready for the rigours of BW - this was the point of the clumsy scenes with Thibideaux at NYADA. The first go at BW is meant to show that even though Rachel as we know her wouldn't be tired of the applause and accolades which come with a successful show, she wasn't ready indeed. Her BW dreams from the Pilot on always included her becoming a *star*, not only a performer, but the mundane demands in a performer's career hadn't sunk in. Hollywood comes calling is another shiny venue for being that *star*. Regardless of the failure, I don't think an ambition like Rachel's can be satisfied with being a high school choir director, as noble a teacher's profession is, and as valuable as her skills can be for the students.The logical storyline from here on is for Rachel to grow up and work harder for the result she wants (she still goes for an easy way when she asks Will to throw the invitationals), and thus go back to BW with a new attitude, work ethic and conviction. 

If the Rachel story ends with her forgoing her dreams and staying to coach ND, we are getting another Will and Shelby, not Rachel Berry. Sure being a great teacher is very valuable, but that's not really Rachel's story as I see it, so if it turns out she gives up on BW to become Will, I'll be pretty pissed. I don't think the arts in schools programs are only for raising up school choir directors of giving the misfits a place to belong, they also nurture real talent that can go on to be star performers, and this is another way to show how valuable they are.

Edited by fakeempress

Rachel's storyline can be fascinating if she really does examine whether or not Broadway was her dream (rather than one that her fathers pushed on her at a very young age) and if it's not, then what next? Everyone's image of Rachel was of this big potential Broadway star and if she's not that, then what is she? I don't know if her fans will be happy with her choosing another path, but it would be interesting to see her explore other options. I came away from the whole NYADA/Funny Girl storyline that while Rachel liked the attention and the applause, the actual job part wasn't quite as engaging for her.

If anyone has ever seen the documentary First Position (about young ballet dancers in a major competition), there was one girl who was kind of like Rachel in a lot of ways. She seemed so ideal for the profession - right body type and appearance, talented, driven. And while she didn't do great in the competition she came out being hired by a company. A follow up afterwards revealed that she quit after a year because she just didn't enjoy dancing when it became a job. So the many thousands of dollars her family spent on her training and costumes and all the hours of work she put into it didn't translate into a lasting career. It does happen in real life.

According to a stand in chart, the stand in's for Sam and Rachel are reporting to set at 7 am. They will then be joined by Kurt, Bieste, Sue, and Will's stand in's.

So this likely means Chord and Lea are filming something and then they will be joined a little later on by the others. Also the newbies will be their as well going from the chart.

It is actually Rachel, Will, and some newbies early and then Sam, Beiste, Kurt and Sue at 11:30

Rachel's storyline can be fascinating if she really does examine whether or not Broadway was her dream (rather than one that her fathers pushed on her at a very young age) and if it's not, then what next? Everyone's image of Rachel was of this big potential Broadway star and if she's not that, then what is she? I don't know if her fans will be happy with her choosing another path, but it would be interesting to see her explore other options. I came away from the whole NYADA/Funny Girl storyline that while Rachel liked the attention and the applause, the actual job part wasn't quite as engaging for her.

If anyone has ever seen the documentary First Position (about young ballet dancers in a major competition), there was one girl who was kind of like Rachel in a lot of ways. She seemed so ideal for the profession - right body type and appearance, talented, driven. And while she didn't do great in the competition she came out being hired by a company. A follow up afterwards revealed that she quit after a year because she just didn't enjoy dancing when it became a job. So the many thousands of dollars her family spent on her training and costumes and all the hours of work she put into it didn't translate into a lasting career. It does happen in real life.

Yes, it could be. On a different show. 

Edited by fakeempress

I have seen this happen so many times. People forget that performing professionally is a job, and a very tedious and hard job too at times. Passion and talent isn't enough: you need determination, drive, stamina and a good sense of responsibility.

I don't know how many times I've had people tell me how 'fun' it must be for me to be a professional singer (although I'm mostly a vocal coach now, but still that too involves singing a lot), implying I shouldn't complain because they had 'real' jobs while I was simply getting paid for spending time on my hobby.

Advice: when you make a job out of your hobby, go find yourself a new hobby, because the old one will be gone. (not that I don't enjoy the singing part of my job anymore: there's just a lot more to it than just that)

And that is why I can't imagine Rachel being satisfied with being a teacher at all. She loves the applause and being in the spotlight herself too much, and she's not much of a team player. But mostly: it is a misconception that every performer who doesn't get the opportunities to perform can simply fall back to plan B and be a music teacher or lead a choir instead: teaching is a different profession altogether, and so is being a choir director.

For a show that is so concerned about the importance of the arts in schools Glee is constantly giving horrible examples of how that definitely should not be done. In this case: putting not (academically) qualified people with personal/personality issues in charge of (high) school choirs.

Edited by Glorfindel

In the last two seasons I think Blaine should have been the character to write that story about - someone who enjoys performing but realizes once it became his job he didn't enjoy it anymore.  In fact that is one reason I wanted them to do a longer time jump until after he had graduated.  Since they are hell bent on reuniting Kurt/Blaine a split right after college when Blaine is realizing this isn't the career he wants after all, even as Kurt still does, would have made so much more sense.  Kurt is still into performing.  Blaine isn't.  It leads to tensions and a break-up.  That transition from college into "real" life is stressful and can break up many a couple - even ones who are fairly solid which Kurt and Blaine would have been at that point as they would have been living together 3 years.

From there Blaine comes back to Lima to reassess and while he is trying to get his bearings he goes back to Dalton and finds out they need an adviser.  He figures helping them might help him clarify what he wants in life.  Lo and behold Dave is a sports coach at Dalton and that is how they connect.

Then I would have made Burt have a relapse and Kurt comes home for that (versus Blaine) and Blaine ends up being supportive of Kurt during that time and that is how they get back together. During that Blaine also realizes his real calling is some sort of work in the medical community.  Show ends with Kurt/Blaine going back to NY where Blaine is going to start school again.   

As far as Rachel I could buy that she got bored by the job eventually, because in her immaturity she was more into the accolades than the work, but I couldn't buy it happened after merely a month on Broadway.   Also, while Rachel has always included being a star as part of her ambition, I felt like she was someone who saw performing as vital to her existence a the air she breathes.  I know people can change their goals but I don't think something that fundamental changes about them over the course of 2 years.  That is why I am glad she was clear in the first episode that she wants to go back to Broadway.  I simply can't imagine that she wouldn't be happy performing for a living.  Seems she knows that too but she also knows that she needs to re-calibrate her attitude towards her career some. 

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1
I couldn't buy it happened after merely a month on Broadway.

This.

I'm sure there are some performers who  get bored on Broadway after awhile in a long running hit.    However, to say that a rookie  in her very first professional venture, ( as the lead mind you!) , would feel restless after just a few weeks is just bizarre, unless it's written that there is something fundamentally mentally or emotionally off kilter with Rachel.   That's not going to happen on this show.

So sure, I could have  seen Rachel gradually discover she's tired of the stage with some kind of reasonable time jump.

I also agree that this whole performing as a job might have better worked with Blaine.  The fact the writer have neglected to give him any  motivation for becoming a performer for once could have been used to their advantage.  Even now they've never established he ever went to NYADA for his own dreams rather than follow Kurt.  In contrast, when Kurt was broken up with Blaine he still pursued NYADA and eventually got in, and even after engaged was committed to it and even starting a band.  Kurt and Blaine break up and he flunks out of NYADA, and says he can't even get back to music.    

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2
I'm sure there are some performers who  get bored on Broadway after awhile in a long running hit.    However, to say that a rookie  in her very first professional venture, ( as the lead mind you!) , would feel restless after just a few weeks is just bizarre, unless it's written that there is something fundamentally mentally or emotionally off kilter with Rachel.   That's not going to happen on this show.

Just another example of how egregiously tone deaf Glee is about everything!  And why I think Lea Michele just gushes at whatever absurdity comes out of RM's mouth without ever suggesting that he might be ever-so-slightly a tad bit off about this, that or the other. 

A month or two into her run on Broadway, Rachel would still be meeting her idols who were coming backstage to meet & greet after performances, she would be invited to parties and openings, having profiles published in the NY Times and other outlets and all sorts of other heady things that would be reinforcing every divaish idea she ever had about herself.

That RIB would just so carelessly toss away almost everything that made Rachel Rachel is pretty indicative of individuals who are just too undisciplined and too over-hyped to be bothered to make an effort at a meaningful story because, hey, the checks cash no matter what, right?

Edited by Myrna123
  • Love 1
That RIB would just so carelessly toss away almost everything that made Rachel Rachel

Again, they don't particularly care for them as individual characters, that is why background, context, motivations are irrelevant with reboots even within an episode. 

Even Karofsky, who some claim RIB were invested him, his  SL has rebooted him in so many fucked up ways that it  shows that other than being a PSA symbol, he's  Leggo toy for RIB to snap together into another shape.

Edited by caracas1914

Good I thought I was the anyone who thought to was bad.   It got a little better when it was more the Carlie King song but not much.

I like the snippet of the other song of the group in the preview way more.

To be fair it isn't chord but Sam.  Still I get what you are saying. He smells a jockstrap for god's sake.  

Chord is in the video talking as himself too. I not sure what is up with all the fabulous and sassy stuff and hand gestures.

Edited by tom87

Oh that.  See this is one reason Artie should be in every episode.  I always thought Kevin was one of the best people at these BTS things, probably why he is doing well with his talk show in the UK

• Love 1

To be fair it isn't chord but Sam.  Still I get what you are saying. He smells a jockstrap for god's sake.

No I meant the interview with Chord. Sam is thick as two short planks, and I've always tried no to judge Chord by that, but the more I see, the more I think Chord is that bright either.

Oh that.  See this is one reason Artie should be in every episode.  I always thought Kevin was one of the best people at these BTS things, probably why he is doing well with his talk show in the UK

The show is dreadful but hilarious. It's weird seeing swear words come out of Kevin's mouth, but he is hilarious.

My favourite BTS video is Kevin and Becca together doing quick-fire questions. They have these toy gun things and Becca just starts randomly firing at Kevin!

People forget that performing professionally is a job, and a very tedious and hard job too at times. Passion and talent isn't enough: you need determination, drive, stamina and a good sense of responsibility.

Carmen tried to tell Rachel this. That is what her NYADA training could have help prepare her for. I really wish we could get one more scene with Carmen before the show is over, because everything she said to Rachel, has come to pass. 

• Love 3
Carmen tried to tell Rachel this. That is what her NYADA training could have help prepare her for. I really wish we could get one more scene with Carmen before the show is over, because everything she said to Rachel, has come to pass.

I find it hilarious that her fellow young characters take turns lecturing Rachel, yet she gets to fuck off all these adults (Cassandra, Carmen, Funny Girl Producer, etc) and onscreen they never get the last word with her that they were right all along.  

The only serious  adult she intermingles with regularly is Will, and past season 1 he just blows smoke up her ass.

• Love 1