Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E16: The Wrong Stuff

WendyCR72

When an astronaut training for a trip to Mars is mysteriously killed inside a Mars simulation, Castle and Beckett don spacesuits to investigate. But when they discover no one inside the sealed simulation could have committed the murder and no one from the outside could get in, the case takes a shocking turn

Well, that was a bunch of fun. It was so silly, but I liked it. (Which means the general viewership probably didn't?) I'm not sure on the case right now, but that's okay. The case rarely every grabs me from the first watch anyway. My biggest complaint is it's such a whiplash in tone from last week. An the shadows. Even in rich-dude's well lit office, in front of a giant window, half his face was in shadow. *sigh*

More stream-of-conciousness thoughts. Sorry so sloppy.

Laser tag is back! But ... not with Castle? Who's this David? Alexis has a life? And apparently Martha has a life, too. Go Martha. Except for the idea of a liasion while her granddaughter was downstairs. That's weird.

Castle would sign up for a mission to Mars while he and Beckett were fighting.

I couldn't stop laughing at Castle's "walking" on Mars. The visual of him hopping along in a spacesuit while Espo and Beckett walk normally was great.

The opening credits! We're not in New York anymore.

Rich-dude can identify IP addresses? Is that normal?

Hmmm... more pregnancy comments. It's even more clear now that that's where they're heading for the end-season arc. I'm not actually upset about that, but I'm torn on the idea of a pregnant Beckett for any length of time. Logisticlly, I don't think it'll work, at least not easily. Conceptually though, I think it could be a lot of fun.

You have to bag your own what? Bag your own what, Beckett?!

Was Castle's Star Trek monologue supposed to be Shatner or Patrick Stewart? It reminded me a lot of the affectations he put on in the Comic Con episode when Beckett goes on to explain what Nebula 9 means to her.

I don't think Beckett ever thought she'd be interrogating a computer. Her frustration was amusing. But M.I.R.A reminded me a lot of that 90s Disney movie Smart House, except instead of murdering people that AI just tried to be the best mom ever.

Slowly losing conciousness in a spaceship was vaugely Out of Gas inspired. Except didn't they sy something about the fake-Mars atmosphere causing a rash, too? Or did I mishear that?

If you go to Mars, doesn't that imply you die on Mars? It's a one-way mission, after all. Come on.

Pro-tip: don't ever counter an accusation with "great idea, but you have no proof". That's a sure fire way to make people assume you're even more guilty. Duh.

Oh ... not Martha. I mean, I'm glad she's doing well and making her own life and I'm glad that they set it up so that she's not leaving ASAP.

You have the loft to yourselves for the first time in ... how long? ... and you go OUT? No! You stay home and make noise. Lots and lots of noise. *sigh* Maybe there won't ever be little Castle babies.

• Love 2

tehehehehe.   Hello Castles.    

Why is Alexis at the apartment?   The Pi thing is over, surely dad can get Alexis her own place close to campus?  Or on campus housing this year.

tehehehehehe "if you think this is how I get pregnant we need to talk."   But oy stop with the baby Castle anvils.   Kate will soon be a delicate condition and you are going to hurt her dropping them all over the place.   Can they please be married and get to spend some time together over a summer before the babies arrive?

I did love this episode.   They do fluff so well.

• Love 2

First up, big round of applause to Alfred Sole and the Castle Art Dept they excelled themselves this week.

This was the usual filler episode with the added bonus of great sets, fun and fluff is what they do best although this was nothing super special and the constant sci fi homages after a while got repetitive and predictable.

As usual, there's no reference to what happened last week, everyone seems perfectly fine.

Ending felt kind of flat, I was expecting it to be more emotional but it wasn't. Castle and Beckett FINALLY get a chance for some precious alone time in the loft after being obviously frustrated to the point of having to kiss in the hallway yet they go out because the place it too quiet. Yeah right. I don't buy that scenario much but this is Castle so no sexytimes for this couple, not yet any way they need to go out and find some noisy company apparently after Martha dropped the bomb. I thought sex on the kitchen counter would be better way to celebrate and fans have got a three wait for a new episode. 

"why am i always on the bottom?" Oh come on Castle why are you even asking.

I love the way Castle just drops his wife in a panic when he hears something. Charming.

So she didn't sell her apartment, she sub let it?

Get disturbed kissing, wouldn't be a Castle episode without that.

I sense I'm in the minority but I don't like Beckett's hair this episode, unflattering the way she has it with that side parting.

Martha has a sleepover and he's wearing Castle's pj's ewwwwwww.  Bring your own sleepwear dude!

Laser tag is back! But was anyone wishing it was Castle and Beckett? I was kind of pissed when it was Alexis who has a new boyfriend, he's kind of cute and she has friends too. May be she'll move in with him soon (crosses fingers desperately).

Castle signed up to Mars during a fight, that's one way to get away from a loved one during a spat.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2
I don't think Beckett ever thought she'd be interrogating a computer. Her frustration was amusing. But M.I.R.A reminded me a lot of that 90s Disney movie Smart House, except instead of murdering people that AI just tried to be the best mom ever.

They probably don't train you for interrogating computers in the police academy.  Stana has said she wants to interrogate a mime, which I agree would be hysterical.  It could be a circus theme episode, they haven't done that have they?

Why is Alexis at the apartment?   The Pi thing is over, surely dad can get Alexis her own place close to campus?  Or on campus housing this year.

I know seriously.  And where do these friends live? Because if it is not with their parents surely they would hang out there instead of at Castle's? What kind of college students want parental supervision? Although, the laser tag gear could be a big draw.  Speaking of which, for a second I thought we were going to get Castle and Beckett playing laser tag.  Tumblr might have imploded over that.

You have the loft to yourselves for the first time in ... how long? ... and you go OUT? No! You stay home and make noise. Lots and lots of noise. *sigh* Maybe there won't ever be little Castle babies.

Hee.  I thought the same thing.  I know they were trying to be funny by having them go out, but I would have prefered them running to the bedroom or something.

• Love 3

Ugh I just hope the anvil isn't that Martha is preparing to leave and something happens so she ends up staying. Because I wouldn't put it past AWM to do that. I'll comment more on the episode itself when I watch it after work.

Edited by Nadine

That's what I was thinking, was it meant to be funny? Because I didn't find if funny at all just frustrating, it annoyed me because they kind of teased it up that may be they were going to head off to bed, at this rate you're right what the the interruptions and their lack of impetus they can forget kids despite the endless anvil drops.

When she moves out she mentions that she's subletting it to her cousin, Sophia.

Honestly, if I had any sort of deal on real estate in NYC, I'd probably do the same.

• Love 1

McManda. Thanks forgot about Sophia.

Adios Martha I wish I could say I was sorry to see her leave but it was time. She was meant to be staying temporarily after all and bringing guys back to her son's house is hardly ideal for either of them especially if they're meant to be making those little Caskett babies.  In truth the character had so little to do that I won't miss her, the sad fact is the writers don't know how to use her any more and she rarely has an moments with Nathan either which were always highlights. And since they didn't seem that overly keen on developing her relationship Beckett to any huge degree best they relegated her to guest star status next season. My only question is why is Alexis still around? Why didn't they get rid of both of them?  Alexis should have been downscaled ages ago too.

Edited by verdana

I don't think having Martha move out necessarily changes the amount of time the character gets. I mean, it's not like she's been around a bunch anyway. This is more of a formality, if anything. I don't think it has anything to o with downsizing the character or letting Susan go.

I disagree about Martha, if they're going into a season 8 they need to start cutting back where they can. The show is ageing, Susan can't have been cheap to hire at the start, she was known and because of her status they've had to include her in a set number of episodes because of her contract, probably at least 12-13 appearances each season. Scaling back her time to the odd guest star appearance from now on is going to help - may be not hugely - but it all counts and I hope they do the same with Molly too, if they have any sense they will.  Also it's a change that's not going to make much difference to the audience so they can do it without pissing people off. It's a win-win for them. 

Edited by verdana

Sublet implies she didn't even own it, that she rented, right? If she owned she would have just rented. But either way it makes sense since her cousin was moving in.  I did laugh at how Castle said she shouldn't have sublet it so fast.  People have been waiting for over a year for her to officially move into the loft.

I sense I'm in the minority but I don't like Beckett's hair this episode, unflattering the way she has it with that side parting.

I liked it at the beginning, with the curls and it pulled back in the front.  But the second look didn't work for me.

In truth the character had so little to do that I won't miss her, the sad fact is the writers don't know how to use her any more and she rarely has an moments with Nathan either which were always highlights.

I don't think it means Martha is leaving the show or anything.  Unless I missed an announcement that Susan was being let go/downgraded.

If they do a Season Eight and manage to get both Nathan and Stana on board but have to do cost-cutting, the three that automatically for me that will probably drop to recurring are Tamala, Susan and Molly - they can easily do the Lanie/Perlmutter alternate episodes hence the cutting down there. PJJ would be the other maybe.

Castle needed to reclaim his house and he did (a bit) thankfully, about time too, all the interruptions were getting completely ridiculous and unbelievable that they can't have any privacy I'd have done something about it ages ago. The loft felt like an expensive boarding house with everyone camped out there.  Martha's heart was in the right place to leave but whilst they still have Alexis living there they've got a problem. 

I liked it at the beginning, with the curls and it pulled back in the front.  But the second look didn't work for me.

Oh yeah the first one was okay it was the other one, I just don't find that particular style flattering and it looked kind of lank too.

If they do a Season Eight and manage to get both Nathan and Stana on board but have to do cost-cutting, the three that automatically for me that will probably drop to recurring are Tamala, Susan and Molly - they can easily do the Lanie/Perlmutter alternate episodes hence the cutting down there. PJJ would be the other maybe.

Well, yeah, that's pretty clear I just didn't think there'd been any announcement about them already doing that.  Martha and Alexis are barely in the show these days so it would be silly to keep them as regulars if they aren't going to use them more.

Yeah I can see them definitely scaling down all of those actors next season, it's relatively easy and I can see Penny going the same way too, she's often not at the precinct and things carry on as normal, she has nothing much to do. 

I don't think there's been any formal decision one way or the other on scaling back anyone not Castle, Beckett, Ryan, or Espo, otherwise we'd have heard about it. And certainly not that they're being dismissed entirely.

This is partly why I hate the spring set of episodes. Too much speculation takes over about the future of the show.

I still maintain they have no intent on letting anyone go. The cast is small enough to be sustainable as is. It's not like we're a Shonda show over here.

• Love 1

I don't think any character is going anywhere. The only two "well knowns" were Nathan and Susan, and while the stock for the others may have risen, I still don't see the salaries being so gigantic that slashing budgets would be going on. While ratings have been lower, it seems 10:00 p.m. is a hardship for most shows now.

Much ado about nothing, I think. And I'm sure there will be excuses for Martha to pop in. She didn't move to outer Mongolia.

• Love 1

I would be okay with them scaling back on wardrobe and costume design, they could save a fortune if they pulled things out of existing wardrobe!!! But seriously, I see Martha, Alexis, Gates, Lainie, Perlmutter and Tori (sigh) as strictly recurring in S8...

It's not about letting them go, I don't believe they're going to stop appearing, Martha will still pop in, she just won't appear as much.  It feels like that's the direction they're going in, may be not time will tell. But frankly would any one really be up in arms if they saw less of Lanie next season? Or Alexis? Or Martha? I doubt it. The core four will stay but all bets are off the other cast members, they can all get scaled down to some degree with no serious repercussions. 

I don't think there's been any formal decision one way or the other on scaling back anyone not Castle, Beckett, Ryan, or Espo, otherwise we'd have heard about it. And certainly not that they're being dismissed entirely.

This is partly why I hate the spring set of episodes. Too much speculation takes over about the future of the show.

I still maintain they have no intent on letting anyone go. The cast is small enough to be sustainable as is. It's not like we're a Shonda show over here.

There hasn't been a formal decision - that's just been my opinion about the matter, hence my post!

Just remembered that was Rex Manning in tonight's episode.

Ah that's the reason I need the five hours of work to finish so I can watch MC strut his stuff. Or I should just pull out a copy of Grease 2 and have a non-drinking game to that.

It's not about letting them go, I don't believe they're going to stop appearing, Martha will still pop in, she just won't appear as much.  It feels like that's the direction they're going in, may be not time will tell. But frankly would any one really be up in arms if they saw less of Lanie next season? Or Alexis? Or Martha? I doubt it. The core four will stay but all bets are off the other cast members, they can all get scaled down to some degree with no serious repercussions. 

They could probably just reduce the number of episodes they are in.  They did that with Parenthood this past season, that way they only had to pay all the leads for 9ish episodes instead of all 13.  It left for some awkward episodes, but that's because Parenthood has a big regular cast that is normally in every episode.  On Castle it's perfectly normal to not see much of Alexis/Martha or Gates/Lanie.   And it will free up the actors to do other projects where they might have decent storylines.

Was the woman astronaut who was leaving her husband the woman who played Rebecca on Greek? She looked really familiar to me.  Did we find out who she was actually in love with? I thought she was going to say it was the other woman, but I'm not sure why.  Or maybe they were all into each other and that helped fuel the murder plot.  

Edited by KaveDweller

Was the woman astronaut who was leaving her husband the woman who played Rebecca on Greek? She looked really familiar to me.  Did we find out who she was actually in love with? I thought she was going to say it was the other woman, but I'm not sure why.  Or maybe they were all into each other and that helped fuel the murder plot.

Yep, it's Dilshad Vadsaria and she also played Nolan's gf on s2 of Revenge.

Well, that was a bunch of fun. It was so silly, but I liked it. (Which means the general viewership probably didn't?) I'm not sure on the case right now, but that's okay. The case rarely every grabs me from the first watch anyway. My biggest complaint is it's such a whiplash in tone from last week. An the shadows. Even in rich-dude's well lit office, in front of a giant window, half his face was in shadow. *sigh*

Was Castle's Star Trek monologue supposed to be Shatner or Patrick Stewart? It reminded me a lot of the affectations he put on in the Comic Con episode when Beckett goes on to explain what Nebula 9 means to her.

Ikr? That guy's face half in shadow in daylight in front of giant window was bugging me so much. Rich guy looked so familiar and now I wanna know where I saw him before.

Shatner says Stewart.

WilliamShatner: “@Castle_ABC: These are the adventures of #Castle and Beckett

https://amp.twimg.com/v/f2fd8f4c-b01b-4bb7-8e1c-e195209350ca …”  And @NathanFillion does it with an English accent

WilliamShatner:“@sunlounger33: @Castle_ABC @NathanFillion Homage to the great #CaptainKirk love it hmm #CaptainCastle ?” No, it's for that other Captain

Another altered credits. There seemed to be more than usual this season. The music from TToOOL, the AZ scene on OUATITW, the Christmas credits of BS, the scalpels on the 2 parter and now Mars for this one.

I did like the 2001 music as Castle was playing around. He really loves space.

Well this is a 1st, we actually got to see one of Martha's boyfriends and it's been a while to see Alexis have a friend on screen even though that girl got no lines. I doubt Martha will be moving until the end of the season and hopefully Alexis can room with the nameless/lineless friend next season. I did notice how nice that floor hallway. There was like a entryway table with decor and a plant. It's kinda weird that Alexis and her friends have their shoes out there since isn't it semi public hallway. Now I'm wondering if there are any other neighbors on the floor. Anyways I have no idea why both Martha and Alexis would entertain on the same days, but it's great they both have a life. Yeah I was expecting them to either make out in the kitchen or make their way to the bedroom after Martha left in the last loft scene.

So we got more of Ryan with his thoughts on Jenny's family and not wanting to go to Mars. Plus another ep in a row where Espo isn't being an ass to Castle.

We can add "dear" to the list of pet names. Alexis seems to be back to calling her Beckett since she called her Kate earlier this season. Cute that Ryan called them the Castles.

I liked Beckett's new hair when it was curly in the precinct but it was looking a little scraggly out on the street. I think Beckett's grey sweater was used earlier this season so yay on wardrobe being used again.

LOL

Stana_Katic: “@GwendolineYeo: #Castle Nathan in awkward prom pose, photo bombed by Stana in #MissionMars. ”

Yeah baby! :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-lYpBCVIAAg8yz.jpg:large

Edited by turnitwayup

That tweet, I love that it looks like Stana is making a vomit face with her finger down her throat in the background.

Castle Recap: Strife on Mars at TV Line.  

This got more of a mixed reception this week by the look of the comments.

Like Matt I did wonder about the phone and it was a bit eye roll worthy. 

Edited by verdana

That tweet, I love that it looks like Stana is making a vomit face with her finger down her throat in the background.

Hehe. Pretty sure she's doing a thumbs up.

I caved and looked at Tumblr during my work break before. I think the purple (crap my brain is fried) jumper she is wearing was the same one from 6x20 (the one that was released as a sneak peek for this episode).

I must be the only one who thinks of the heavy drama eps as the filler episodes and the fluffy ones as the real program. 

Were they wearing two different spacesuit styles one tan with the helmets and then one grey without? And what did they do with the helmets when they re-entered the biosphere?

And Beckett's hair did look lank. Very odd, since usually it is so Hollywood lush.

I'd be sorry to see either of Molly or Susan sidelined. One of the ways Castle's character was deepened when the writers were paying attention to character was by having his close family ties. That has even been used to explain why he can go so dark when they are threatened.

While I like Molly, even as Annoying!Alexis, I would be really pissed to lose Susan. We middle-aged women are already invisible on TV. (Okay senior, but 70 is the new 40... in my dreams.)

I wanted to like this more than I did.  Not one of Terri's better efforts.  Episode felt kind of flat.  Bored by the COTW.  Too much exposition.  I like locked room mysteries but this one didn't really work for me and the rip off of Murder on the Orient Express solution wasn't particularly compelling.  They kind of lose me in the COTW when there isn't an interesting enough story narrative to go along with it and it turns into a sort of by the numbers musical chairs scenario with different suspects that I don't care about.  The billionaires weren't charismatic and I'm kind of over charismatic billionaires on Castle anyway since Vaughn. ;) 

Castle's spacewalk did make me lol!  Funniest moment for me.  Beckett's glare at Castle's quip about being on the bottom made me laugh too. Even though, yeah. ;)

Spotted the "Space Cowboy" magazine cover used as a dart board as a Firefly shoutout and I think NF joked about a similar cover with Matthew McConaughey getting that title.  Maybe there was another shoutout to the Out of Gas episode, but gosh, the time it took to remember they had cell phones to call for help made me roll my eyes hard.

I admit I still feel protective of Castle and laser tag and I don't really like to see anyone outside of the Castle family (Beckett included, of course) playing with it.  I know kids grow up, but still.  And oh yeah, still would love to see Castle and Beckett play laser tag sometime even if she'll be written as kicking his ass at it.

I feel proud of Martha for doing well, but I'm also sad at her decision to leave the nest.  I'll miss her even though she doesn't get a lot to do these days.  And I really hope it doesn't mean we'll see even less of Susan Sullivan next season because she's a treasure.  Cut Tory out of the show anytime but don't cut Martha.  Martha adds an emotional layer that Tory never can with her pure exposition.  What I would love to see is another heartfelt Castle/Martha scene where they dig at each other a bit in the loving way they do before the conversation turns sincere.  Something about how Martha moving in when she was going through tough times was supposed to be temporary but it turned out to be a wonderful thing for their family.  I don't mind if it's sappy.  How proud they are of each other now.  Castle with a loving wife and Martha back on her feet.  I was waiting for a line about how Martha would always be welcome at the loft in the scene.  Would have loved more exploration of Martha/Beckett and Martha/Alexis relationships but I guess the writers just aren't interested.

And here I was hoping for a baby Cosmo reference, or at least "the making of" lol.

They must have thought that they already filled the sexytimes quota with the interrupted kiss and the reference to taking a hot shower together which we'll never see in a million years of course. ;)

When will they learn to go with a sexy ending instead of a forced funny ending every time?  Sexy always wins in my book.  The ending here came off forced to me.  A few witty lines about making out on the kitchen counter would have gone over so much better even if we never saw any action. ;)

I can't believe how nobody has brought up how they both signed up to go to Mars without telling anyone about it. Because yeah, Castle would never talk about something like that. And a good time to book a one-way trip to Mars is after you've had a fight with someone.

Yeah, I think they could have bickered/flirted with that storyline some more.  They do seem to be continuing that tendency to not tell the other about not unimportant things.    Not a big fan of that but they could explore more about how being married really means they have to share and discuss.  

And Castle signed up a few years ago when they were fighting?  Were they even romantically involved back then?

I guess we aren't meant to take it as more than a passing fancy when they've fought with the other and are just killing time on the internet.  I wouldn't mind more exploration of how they fight and then make up as a married couple.

ETA: Beckett's wavy hair was a bit distracting.  Reminded me of her Blue Butterfly look and may have been better suited for that kind of an episode than one in which she had to wear a spacesuit.  Lol at the promo referencing Beckett's hair.  They could have thrown in a coat reference too. ;)

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

I kind of liked the episode - it had a few cute/funny moments.

Loved Castle hopping around and loved the fact that laser tag was back. Though it did disappoint me that it wasn't Castle and Alexis playing. Alexis and her new boyfriend playing a game she and her father have played since she was five; a little awkward in my opinion.

I kinda had to scratch my head when Castle just dropped Beckett? He didn't even attempt to catch her/ease her fall. I found that to be very unlovely.

The non-mention of last week's episode has me rolling my eyes. Of course everyone is fine after having their wife abducted by a psychopathic serial killer couple/being abducted by a psychopathic serial killer couple/having their face almost cut off by a psychopathic serial killer plastic surgeon. 

I'm super sad to see Martha go, though I'm sure her not living at the loft won't impact Susan's screen time much. We've barely seen her all season anyway. 

I thought the episode was fine if a bit boring, so there are only very shallow things I have to add:

The space suit didn't do NF any favours. I don't know why, but somehow the image of Oliver Hardy popped up in my head.

SK's hair was distracting because it didn't do her any favours either.

Finally, as the TXF geek that I am: Anbody else got strange vibes of "Ice" and "Space" watching the episode? Probably just me, I guess.

And Castle signed up a few years ago when they were fighting? Were they even romantically involved back then?

I guess we aren't meant to take it as more than a passing fancy when they've fought with the other and are just killing time on the internet. I wouldn't mind more exploration of how they fight and then make up as a married couple.

He said a couple years ago, so that puts it in season 5. If it was 3 years ago it could have been during the doucbag arc, which would actually make sense. I thought Beckett was going to say she signed up during a weak moment when he was missing and she thought he was dead. And she needed to leave the planet to get away from the pain. But they mentioned his disappearance last week so I guess that wouldn't work.

But I think it was just meant to be a joke and not a sign of them not communicating. This show tends to go for the joke without thinking about broader implications. And it's not like they were making serious plans about leaving the other. I would like to see them have a minor fight and then make up though. We haven't really seen much of them fighting like that as a couple.

• Love 1

I was bored. Plain and simple. It felt like ~way too much cheesy dialogue that moved from scene to scene too quickly, so some moments I normally would've enjoyed more (such as Castle & Beckett banter) fell flat. I've decided I'm not into the "theme" cases anymore at this point in the show's life. The only one I've liked this season is the Western episode, but honestly I was lukewarm on that one too.

There was a lot of eye rolling for me while watching this episode too. Beckett taking as long as she did to remember she had a phone in the chamber was ridiculous. Though I did chuckle at how much fun Castle was having in the spacesuit and "on Mars." I also kept wondering if we'd get a callback to Castle wanting to get married in space. That could have been an injection of clever this episode needed.

And they end up going out because the house is "too quiet?!" I almost could have predicted that they wouldn't rush to their bedroom with devilish grins on their faces. And because they're dropping pregnancy and baby anvils left and right lately, that felt like a "Hey, I know how we can create CONSTANT noise in our home! Babies!" to me.

What I'd like to know is for everyone who is so excited and anxious for Beckett to have a baby (including the writers) is why do you want her to have a baby? That's an excellent question that never gets asked enough. And I've yet to see a response that doesn't sound like it came from someone who just thinks Beckett would be cute as a mom. 

I will miss Martha to a certain extent, but as many have also pointed out, we haven't seen her as a significant and well-used part of an episode in a long time, so at least they let us know ~why we may not see her as much anymore rather than just let her disappear without a word. 

I would like to see them have a minor fight and then make up though. We haven't really seen much of them fighting like that as a couple.

I have a ~strong suspicion that's coming as we get into this new Beckett storyline of her trying to decide where she wants to go with her personal life and career. 

Edited by S55
  • Love 1

What I don't get is why Martha having finally realised they need the loft to themselves told Alexis to stay away from the family conference. I'd have been persuading her to start looking around for new digs so she and her friends can play laser tag alone and stop charmlessly telling her dad to get a room when they're taking up most of the available space. What happened to her wanting to be independent and all grown up?  That seems to have all disappeared, does she have any ambitions outside hanging around the loft? 

Yeah, I think they could have bickered/flirted with that storyline some more.  They do seem to be continuing that tendency to not tell the other about not unimportant things.    Not a big fan of that but they could explore more about how being married really means they have to share and discuss.

That's par for the course with this couple, so the idea this happened didn't surprise me in the slightest, the writers for some reason don't think it's important that they're seen to regularly discuss important matters openly, any way it would take up too much time that they have to spend on COTW.  

Whilst I would like to see them have a normal every day argument every now and again like most couples do, I don't have much faith in Marlowe's ability to write one.  They tend to aim for either Linus the Lion sillyness or "it's my life!" style theatrics with nothing in between. 

I have always felt they squandered a great opportunity with not fleshing Martha's character out more. She had the potential to add a whole other layer to the show. No use in crying over spilled milk though. At this point she can ride off into the sunset with it hardly being noticeable week to week.

I was looking forward to seeing them develop the relationship between Beckett and Martha, two strong vibrant women. Pity they couldn't be bothered.  It was unfortunate but I thought she was becoming a bit of a caricature in the latter seasons and Susan deserved better. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I feel there were lines missing last week when neither Alexis nor Martha mentioned Beckett being missing as the were shuffled off to Europe, and this week when Beckett said nothing about Martha's announcement. In both cases one line would have made the scene a little bit more.

I totally enjoyed this episode. It was fun to watch. I actually was chuckling at NF and his dialogue throughout the hour. There are times I like a fun light show. There is enough bad crap happening that I need a break. Thank You for making my evening a bit more fun than normal.

• Love 2

What I don't get is why Martha having finally realised they need the loft to themselves told Alexis to stay away from the family conference. I'd have been persuading her to start looking around for new digs so she and her friends can play laser tag alone and stop charmlessly telling her dad to get a room when they're taking up most of the available space. What happened to her wanting to be independent and all grown up? That seems to have all disappeared, does she have any ambitions outside hanging around the loft?

They really should had Alexis back in the dorms or rooming with a friend in some apartment close to campus. She did have some dumb subplots during s5 but at least we weren't getting the endless she's studying at the library lines anytime she wasn't in the ep. They also could repeat the idea that she is at the loft for a short time cause her roommate is sick and she didn't want to catch it so that's why her friends are hanging out at the loft. Let's see if TPTB remember that Alexis is suppose to graduate next spring but who knows if they will ever let us know what she is majoring in.

• Love 1

I liked it.

Sure, Castle was too goofy at times and that always irritates me a bit, but I'm glad they're finally addressing the fact that, however spacious, a loft is not Buckingham Palace and four adults in permanent residence will get in each other's way in the common spaces after a time. I liked that the family is supportive of baby-making and that it will be a planned, not a rushed or accidental process. I liked that work was realistically a relief from hormonal seniors and (probably equally hormonal college students) and they went to work together after the interruption of the PI arc.

So why, oh why, when they had the place to themselves would the writers make it appear that the only people not eager to chase each other around the living room and make their own noise in the bedroom are Castle and Beckett? Why undo several episodes of building on the idea that the two characters are emotionally close and sexually hot for each other, just to deliver one dumb joke to end the episode? Hell, if you don't want to write a love scene, write an ironic one where they're alone and too tired to do anything but sleep.

At some point the writers have to realize that jokes are funniest in context. That joke may be funny in 20 years when Castle and Beckett's kids leave for college, but not a few months into their marriage when they were so desperate for alone-time that they were making out in the hallway. Dumb choice of ending, I thought, when it could have been funny and sexy and carried on the theme of "alone at last" in a more logical way.

• Love 1

Castle: The Wrong Stuff – A Good Cop/Bad Cop Review by Lee Lofland.

Turns out Martha had an important announcement to make: She’s moving out of the loft and getting her own place. Sweet! Now Rick and Kate will have the loft to themselves more often. Martha even mentions the possibility of little Castles in their future, and I loved that. What I didn’t love was Rick and Kate bolting from the loft almost as soon as Martha left because the place was too quiet. Really? After they’d kissed in the hallway on their last trip home so they could do so in peace? This seemed way out of character to me and not in tune with the rest of the episode. Don’t know what the writers were thinking. Sigh.

No idea what the writers were thinking Lee because it didn't make any sense for them to go out after the earlier set up and it was a real downer. If you choose to make this the episode Martha decides to leave (eventually) then at least give your audience something good to compensate, them going out to an Indian Restaurant isn't what I had in mind. 

The other part that kind of bugged, that he does all of the time, is outwardly show his glee when people are, you know, dead, and do it in front of people who know the dead person.

I understand he's thrilled about going to Mars, but maybe try not to dance around in front of the people who knew the dead guy.

Granted, he was hated, but Castle didn't know that in the beginning.

Yeah I thought that was a bit off, he was too gleeful when he turns up and then gets in the simulator, I know Castle is meant to bring the comedy but you pick your moments and I'm sure he should be mature enough to understand that no matter how exciting this space stuff is you're dealing with murder and these people knew the victim but they prefer playing up the comedy whenever they can at the expense of the character.

Edited by verdana

Regarding Martha's leaving. Didn't she say "not immediately"? Of course, that means it could drag on for a while-years even. And she could always come around to the loft. In fact, didn't she stay with her boyfriend/ fiance-the one who died, but was frequently at the loft ? 

Regarding baby Castles...no, just no. That said, if this was to be the last season (hope not) they could end with Kate saying "oh by the way, I'm pregnant". But then some of us would bitch that "they just copied the end of The Mentalist...