Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: What's Up Doc?

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

43 minutes ago, slf said:

It was a good move hiring that kid because she was adorable.

She really is a beautiful baby, not surprising considering her mom is gorgeous;  but, her interactions with Elizabeth, so clearly affectionate and loving, make the episodes that much more special.  They're a welcome change from Elizabeth's early days as a mother where she seemed so unhappy and stressed all the time.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

She really is a beautiful baby, not surprising considering her mom is gorgeous;  but, her interactions with Elizabeth, so clearly affectionate and loving, make the episodes that much more special.  They're a welcome change from Elizabeth's early days as a mother where she seemed so unhappy and stressed all the time.

Yes, the look on Alex's face when her baby was laughing was delightful!  It must be great to have their early interactions captured long term and replayed on television! 

• Love 6
21 hours ago, voiceover said:

Eeee!!  He was the spoiler for Betsy (Meg Ryan) & Steve (Frank Runyeon), my SuperCouple o' Choice in the 80s.  #lukenlaurawho

Did I miss someone besides the minister speaking at Mark's service?

My couple too. Betsy and Steve were it.

• Love 1
On 11/3/2017 at 1:35 PM, desertflower said:

As Chen was sitting in the hall by the vending machine having a moment with Pratt after having the gun held to her head, all I could focus on was that those looked like ridiculous shoes to wear for a 12 hour shift in the ER! 

I was shocked she was allowed to wear open toe shoes!

Most people agree that the fencing scenes were stupid, and I agree.  But what I find even dumber ..... why was there fencing equipment in the closet of a hospital in the first place?  Very convenient.

Did I just see Mackenzie Phillips in "Damage is Done"?  I never cared for her.  Maybe that 10-year consensual incestuous relationship with her biological father tainted my opinion.  Yes, I know she's the victim here and all that, but I didn't like her all the way back in "One Day At A Time" when I didn't even know about that.

When Elizabeth looks sick with the flu, Elizabeth looks SICK with the flu!  Good job.

Final comment for this post, and I wish I had posted it during Season 1 so other people could take notice if they were of a mind to, but I can't help being somewhat obsessed with how many soft drinks these people drink.  I know it's only been a relatively recent thing to demonize Coke (and their cousins) and you hardly ever see soft drinks on TV shows these days (I guess because of the demonization thing) but both staff and patients are always hitting that Coke machine.  If they start this series back at Season 1, y'all pay attention.  Maybe we should count the Cokes they consume.

And my final comment regarding my final comment, I'm from the South and we refer to ALL soft drinks as Coke.  Doesn't matter if it's a 7-Up, Root Beer, or Orange Crush, it's always a Coke .....  just need to signify if it's the orange one or the clear one or the other kind.

The end.

p.s.  Don't forget to "fall back" tonight!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, slasherboy said:

Most people agree that the fencing scenes were stupid, and I agree.  But what I find even dumber ..... why was there fencing equipment in the closet of a hospital in the first place?  Very convenient.

They weren't at the hospital, they were apparently in a classroom at a local university.  I guess the person running the seminar was faculty there and the fencing equipment was for phys ed or theater classes or something.  it makes a little more sense that way.  They are not at County because, at the end of the episode, Abby says she is going to the hospital because she has a shift and Luka offers her a ride.  She ends up walking with Gallant, but it makes it clear they're not at the hospital.

As far as consumption of carbonated beverages, many hospitals run on caffeine and those of us who work in them who don't like coffee end up with coke.  Working long hours, overnight shifts and such leads to a lot of consumption of beverages meant to give energy.  I don't like coffee very much, and, as a resident, we had to make rounds with the med students in the wee hours of the morning to start off our 12+ hour regular workdays (as opposed to the 36+ hour on-call shifts).  I took to drinking a large diet Pepsi every morning during rounds because 1) I needed to stay awake while listening to a student present a case of fibroids for the umpteenth time and 2) I could get it free from the cafeteria. 

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1

Well I cried at the end of On the Beach just as I did 15 years ago.  It was nice watching it knowing now what Rachel’s future was.

I caught a glimpse of Lydia at the funeral. I assume they were all there they just didn’t get close-up shots.

Who was the man sitting next to Anspaugh at the funeral?

Nice that they used Alex Kingston’s real daughter for the Hawaii episode. At the funeral Ella was a younger, different baby though I’m pretty sure (probably the baby/babies who had been playing her all along?)

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, justduckey said:

Well I cried at the end of On the Beach just as I did 15 years ago.  It was nice watching it knowing now what Rachel’s future was.

I caught a glimpse of Lydia at the funeral. I assume they were all there they just didn’t get close-up shots.

Who was the man sitting next to Anspaugh at the funeral?

Nice that they used Alex Kingston’s real daughter for the Hawaii episode. At the funeral Ella was a younger, different baby though I’m pretty sure (probably the baby/babies who had been playing her all along?)

The guy sitting next to Anspaugh was Wild Willie. He was brought in to run the ER back in the early days and later made an appearance in Season 4 in the Synergix storyline working as a corporate doc for hire.

The actor playing Wild Willie, Michael Ironsides, also appeared in Top Gun with Anthony Edwards; he played Jester while AE was Goose.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, doodlebug said:

As far as consumption of carbonated beverages, many hospitals run on caffeine and those of us who work in them who don't like coffee end up with coke.

The young whippersnappers today seem to prefer energy drinks.  I'm too old to have ever gotten into that.

I'm envious of the free Pepsi in the cafeteria.  We only get free food if we're on call, and after about 6PM, we're left to the vending machines or our particular department's Keurig, which was an investment from previous residents, because the hospital administration can't be bothered to do that for us.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, starri said:

The young whippersnappers today seem to prefer energy drinks.  I'm too old to have ever gotten into that.

I'm envious of the free Pepsi in the cafeteria.  We only get free food if we're on call, and after about 6PM, we're left to the vending machines or our particular department's Keurig, which was an investment from previous residents, because the hospital administration can't be bothered to do that for us.

Alas, it's gone the way of the dodo, it's been more than 30 years since I was a resident.  Many of the single guys I trained with would eat all 3 meals in the cafeteria most days..  No free food for residents nowadays.  The hospital where I do most of my inpatient work doesn't even have an employee discount in the cafeteria.  The coffee is free at the nursing stations, but it's some generic blend, not Keurig.  The cafeteria does carry Starbucks and it is priced accordingly.

Random thoughts;

Those pox looked so amateur it was distracting.

I forgot Abby and Carter first hooked up while in quarantine. I’m oddly rooting for them at this point.

I had forgotten how soon after mark dying that Romano’s arms was hacked off. I remember how shocking that was to see the first time.

Considering how many things were bleeped our or blurred from PopTV’s airing of the early season, im surprised the didn’t bleep out Marks “shit” or Romano giving the finger. I wonder why?

I’m  actually not hating these post-Mark episodes as much as I thought I would.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, doodlebug said:

They weren't at the hospital, they were apparently in a classroom at a local university.  

Thanks for the clarification,

1 hour ago, justduckey said:

I’m  actually not hating these post-Mark episodes as much as I thought I would.

Surprisingly, me neither.  But when Carter leaves, I suspect I'm out too.  But we'll see!

One final comment ~~ I'm totally squicked out by any and all love/sex scenes involving Kerri.  Be it with a man or woman, I can't even look.  And I hated ... hated, I say ... the sex scenes between Mark and Jen, especially that day he called in sick and they went at it all day, in every way.  Just not believable, I guess.

I'm so glad I have this forum to watch this show with.  You guys are the best!

• Love 2

Re: love scenes. I wasn't a big fan of Mark and Jen's scenes either. I also don't find Carter's love scenes that great. Noah Wyle is cute and everything, but I don't know, just can't put my finger on it. I think Luka and Abby had good physical chemistry, as well as Benton and Corday. But no one tops Doug and Carol in my book. Even in recent years, If I see George and Julianna interact at an awards show or some other event I still swoon. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, desertflower said:

Re: love scenes. I wasn't a big fan of Mark and Jen's scenes either. I also don't find Carter's love scenes that great. Noah Wyle is cute and everything, but I don't know, just can't put my finger on it. I think Luka and Abby had good physical chemistry, as well as Benton and Corday. But no one tops Doug and Carol in my book. Even in recent years, If I see George and Julianna interact at an awards show or some other event I still swoon. 

My sentiments, exactly!  ;-)

• Love 2

I was finally able to catch up with the episodes on my DVR. I definitely found Orion in the Sky tougher to watch than On the Beach, because Mark's work family always seemed more important than his actual family. Although the scene where he wakes up and realizes half his body is paralyzed is really tough to watch. I'm going to join in on the Doug and Carol should have been at the funeral camp. I've read that George and Julianne didn't want to steal Anthony Edward's thunder, but Anthony Edwards had already had a few episodes dedicated to him during his goodbye tour. Greene never really connected with any of the new doctors (hell he never really connected with Peter) the way he had with Ross, Lewis, and Hathaway. All they had to do was throw on some black clothing and film themselves looking sad in front of a gray backdrop. The scene barely even had a wide shot to block around.

Season 9 of ER seems to be where the show jumped the shark with abandon. The quality had been going down hill since Season 7, but the Monkey Pox, hospital evac (why did they shut down the power before everyone had left?), arm amputation all in the same episode was a little over the top.

I really dislike Carter when he's with Abby. He's just so sanctimonious. I don't have any experience with AA or 12 steps, but at this stage, Abby seems to be managing her addiction. He seems more interested in saving her than being with her. Not that Abby is a saint with risking Carter's license to steal medical records on her brother...

Speaking of which, add Lake Bell as Eric's girlfriend to the Before They Were Stars scorecard.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Another one for the "Doug and Carol should have been at the funeral" line here!

At the very least, a word or two explaining that Carol was pregnant and due any minute or maybe that Mark and Rachel stopped in Seattle on their way to Hawaii would've done a lot to close the circle on what was a pretty close friendship.

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:40 AM, desertflower said:

Just watched Orion in the Sky and have already gone through my big pile of tissues. Guess I'll need a new box for the Letter and On the Beach. I love that they brought back the older black patient Al, who I believe was in the pilot. When Mark decides he's done with treatment and tells Al he's going to help him find his cart....sob! And when Chuny looks at Mark and her face says that she knows he'll be gone soon...sob! And his scenes with Jen and with Elizabeth...sob some more. Lord, I'm a mess!

I thought this episode was well done, too. The only thing I didn't like was the trope of Jen not wanting to talk about his will, etc. but pushing it off until "later." Do people in real life really act that way when a person is dealing with a serious illness? always kind of bugs me when characters do that and you know that will of course be the last conversation they have.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:10 PM, Bastet said:

Jester came to the funeral!

I cried through this whole episode, and by the time we got to his dying dream montage I was trembling with those tears.

I like that Mark and Rachel having a nice day together, talking about his childhood and surfing, isn’t some instant cure-all; she’s still sneaking around to drink and snatch his pills.  Hearing him say he’d take back every bad moment he had with his father if he could, but he can’t, doesn’t magically transform her from petulant teen to dutiful daughter.  But she’s seen that Mark remembers how it feels to be the adolescent in the equation, and that you can wish it could be erased without being crippled by regret.  Everything isn’t made okay in his final days, but the foundation is there for her to grow up and learn how to cope with it all.  Nicely done.

I so agree with this. I had forgotten Jester as at the funeral so it made me happy to see him. Nice touch.

I agree with the Hawaii episode--so well done without sticking a big bow on it and everything being perfect. My 11 year old stepped in to watch the end of the episode. He doesn't really follow the show but did enough to tell me he liked Dr. Green and he cried along with me.

I watched Secrets and Lies this weekend and the 11 year old/maid stuff was as bad as everyone already noted. They could have easily made him at least 16  --winning the "contest" was not exactly a key plot point. I fast forwarded through some of the dueling. I did like it when Luka gave his first time, everyone looked stunned and he says it was a happy memory. That part was touching. Boo on the rest.

1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

Another one for the "Doug and Carol should have been at the funeral" line here!

Mark, Doug and Carol were the best of friends in the best days of this show. Too bad they couldn't film anything with Anthony.

Also want to add that Doug and Carol were the most charismatic couple on this show.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I'm going to join in on the Doug and Carol should have been at the funeral camp. I've read that George and Julianne didn't want to steal Anthony Edward's thunder, but Anthony Edwards had already had a few episodes dedicated to him during his goodbye tour.

Having seen it again, I, too, remain in that camp.  I remembered the shot at the grave site, but couldn't remember if there was more - a memorial service or other gathering with dialogue.  If the latter, I agree Doug and Carol's appearance could have been distracting, if we had them chatting with people about their new jobs, the kids, etc.  But a quick shot of them standing/sitting there, just like the others who returned?  Not distracting.  Them NOT being there is what's distracting.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Having seen it again, I, too, remain in that camp.  I remembered the shot at the grave site, but couldn't remember if there was more - a memorial service or other gathering with dialogue.  If the latter, I agree Doug and Carol's appearance could have been distracting, if we had them chatting with people about their new jobs, the kids, etc.  But a quick shot of them standing/sitting there, just like the others who returned?  Not distracting.  Them NOT being there is what's distracting.

Exactly. A brief non-speaking appearance would've been plenty and it could've easily been accomplished using TV magic.  Even having Elizabeth mention a brief conversation or note from them would've helped.

32 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Wow, I can already tell that I hate the "Abby's brother sl" way more this time through.  Useless.  Makes me pissed at everyone involved.

You ain't seen nothin' yet. It only gets worse, culminating in Abby and her brother behaving like a couple of buffoons at Gamma's funeral. Bad enough Abby not only violates her brother's privacy, dumba** actually alerts the MP's as to his whereabouts after boohooing to Carter how she was sure the Air Force couldn't possibly help him because none of the doctors there could ever know as much about BPD as she does.  When, of course, we're shown repeatedly that Abby has no common sense or even any interest in doing anything other than getting her family members locked up where they can't bother her.   What she knows about BPD could be engraved on the head of a pin with enough room left over for the Declaration of Independence.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1

I have no doubt I'll get sick of it, but I enjoy the Abby's brother storyline in this episode, with her mom trying to get through to her that, yes, she has lived with this illness her whole life - but from the other side. 

Elizabeth talking with the guy who lost his wife and one son was a great scene.

I was out of town Friday, so didn't see those three episodes -- what's Don Cheadle's character's story (I can't find him on the ER Wiki)?

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I have no doubt I'll get sick of it, but I enjoy the Abby's brother storyline in this episode, with her mom trying to get through to her that, yes, she has lived with this illness her whole life - but from the other side. 

Elizabeth talking with the guy who lost his wife and one son was a great scene.

I was out of town Friday, so didn't see those three episodes -- what's Don Cheadle's character's story (I can't find him on the ER Wiki)?

He's a medical student who has a pretty severe case of Parkinson's Disease.  He's on meds, but, especially working long hours and with the unpredictable schedule in surgery; he misses doses and/or has significant side effects.  Elizabeth strongly feels that he should not be going into any specialty involving direct patient care (and she does have a point), but, he refuses to consider that.  Meanwhile, every patient he sees with a dire prognosis; he wants the docs to fully intervene anyway; constantly plugging all kinds of experimental treatments (new drugs! stem cells!) for everyone.  For example, he saw an older man with advanced pancreatic cancer who was not a candidate for surgery due to age and extent of disease.  He told the guy all about the Whipple Procedure, a brutal surgery for pancreatic cancer that has a high mortality rate, and got the guy to demand the operation anyway even though it was very risky and would only prolong his life a couple months at best.  The student insisted that even a couple of months would give him more time with his grandkids and other BS like that.  Elizabeth, because she was forced into a corner by his cheerleading, did the operation and the guy never woke up.

• Love 2

It was nice to see Carter and Abby happy for about two seconds when they were line dancing. Of course we know that doesn't last long. 

A sweet Romano moment..when he fished Elizabeth's ring out of the sink. And as he's giving it back to her he makes a cute little gesture at Ella. I really wish they gave him a better ending. 

• Love 5

I'm running a few episodes behind still and just watched the first 2 with Don Cheadle's character. It always seemed a bit odd to me --like what was the point of that arc? I do like him as an actor though. But seriously, how could you expect to do a surgery rotation if you are that progressed in the disease? he punctured a saline bag trying to hook it up. . .

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, justduckey said:

I agree. What was the point of the Don Cheedle arc? Did he have a movie come out around this time and they were trying to capitalize on that? 

Over the years, ER was kinda famous for getting big names to do guest arcs ala Sally Field and Alan Alda.  As I recall, Cheadle had done Oceans 11 with Clooney who recommended him for a guest arc on ER.  While I think it could have been interesting to see a medical student with a significant disability trying to work in the ER, I agree that the character as portrayed was so severely disabled that it seemed unlikely he could ever finish a residency let alone enter clinical practice.  I guess they figured that with Kerry running the ER, they needed to have a character with a REALLY big physical disability, but it really didn't work.

ETA:  I think we were supposed to get a message about overcoming obstacles and that anyone can achieve anything if they really work at it.  His super-optimistic POV on experimental and/or unproven treatments kinda reinforced that as did his insistence that he be treated just like any other medical student.  Elizabeth offered to accommodate him by adapting the surgical rotation to his abilities, but he flatly refused.  Kinda like a blind medical student insisting on scrubbing in the OR.  Why?  At the end, we see him unable to safely use an otoscope to check a little girl's ear; so, instead, he uses a fiberoptic cable/TV screen setup that costs tens of thousands more than a simple otoscope to do the job.  It's great that he found a way to do the exam without hurting her with his tremors, but it really isn't practical out in the real world for a private practice or inner-city hospital to invest tens of thousands of dollars to accommodate a doctor who has no more than a few years of practice unless there is a massive advance in Parkinson's treatment.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5

I wasn't quite sure the point of Don Cheadle's character either. He was obviously supposed to teach Elizabeth a very valuable lesson, but I'm not sure what that lesson was? He offered an interesting POV with regards to medical breakthroughs and stem cell research because of his disease, but the battle of pride between him and Elizabeth was dangerous to every patient they treated. That poor girl almost lost her eardrum because they were letting him treat people while he had no control over his motor skills. But then again, this is the same hospital that let Dr Greene come back to work without an evaluation while hew as getting treated for a brain tumor... At least Don Cheadle got his Emmy nomination.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I wasn't quite sure the point of Don Cheadle's character either. He was obviously supposed to teach Elizabeth a very valuable lesson, but I'm not sure what that lesson was? He offered an interesting POV with regards to medical breakthroughs and stem cell research because of his disease, but the battle of pride between him and Elizabeth was dangerous to every patient they treated. That poor girl almost lost her eardrum because they were letting him treat people while he had no control over his motor skills. But then again, this is the same hospital that let Dr Greene come back to work without an evaluation while hew as getting treated for a brain tumor... At least Don Cheadle got his Emmy nomination.

And considering how well the experimental 'miracle' treatment worked for Mark; it wasn't surprising that Elizabeth was pretty skeptical of his ability to overcome his problems.

The ER also let Carter return to work when he could barely move on crutches and had had no counseling after nearly being killed there.  We've got Romano messing around operating on pigs with one arm.  Luka is hitting on patient's mothers and accepting money from little old ladies. Eventually, we've got Abby coming to work drunk as a skunk.  That ER was not a safe place at all.

• Love 7

My dvr didn't record the second and third episodes yesterday for some reason. So I left off with Carter meeting Abby in Omaha and Elizabeth letting Nathan start the boy's heart. (Nice scene between Elizabeth and the boy's father. They also started playing the sad piano music used during Mark's funeral. Sniff.)  Anyway, let me know if I missed anything major in the last two eps. Don't need a scene by scene replay, just anything important!

Edited by desertflower
11 minutes ago, desertflower said:

My dvr didn't record the second and third episodes yesterday for some reason. So I left off with Carter meeting Abby in Omaha and Elizabeth letting Nathan start the boy's heart. (Nice scene between Elizabeth and the boy's father. They also started playing the sad piano music used during Mark's funeral. Sniff.)  Anyway, let me know if I missed anything major in the last two eps. Don't need a scene by scene replay, just anything important!

Abby came back to Chicago with her brother and mother.  She enrolled her brother in a day program for the mentally ill where they would make sure he took his meds.  It was kinda like an adult daycare center, very juvenile.  Eric balked and Maggie helped him leave the program.  He went to a hotel rather than stay with Abby who continued to insist she was the only one who could help him and that Maggie was unreliable and he shouldn't trust her even though she found out Maggie had suspected his bipolar disorder months earlier and got him evaluated.  Eric and Maggie go back to her place in Minnesota where Maggie has arranged for him to see her psychiatrist.  Abby is mad at both of them for not doing things her way.

Kovac, who took a $10,000 tip from an old lady patient who then died; continues his out of control behavior by bedding the mouthy medical student played by Leslie Bibb, I think her name is Harkins.  (In real life, any med student who back talked the attendings and complained like she does would be reprimanded and sent home).  Anyway, he ends up in an auto accident with her in the car and she nearly dies.  He is now doing the East European guilt thing he is so good at.   For some unexplainable reason, he doesn't lose his job after sleeping with a student and driving recklessly.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2

Thanks for the recap, @doodlebug. When Leslie Bibb first appeared I had a vague memory that she ended up sleeping with Kovac but I had forgotten about the car accident. It's a bit reminiscent of Doug's storyline. Not exactly but same tone. Sleeps with a bunch of random girls (including a med student) and hits rock bottom when one of them is hurt and/or dies, only with Doug it was the one night stand who had the seizure. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, justduckey said:

I agree. What was the point of the Don Cheedle arc? Did he have a movie come out around this time and they were trying to capitalize on that? 

I think it was for the stem cell soap boxing.

4 hours ago, slasherboy said:

Aaron Paul!!  Yo bitch!  Science!

You beat me to the punch.  Jessie Pinkman, bitch!  ;-)

3 hours ago, voiceover said:

Eeeeyyyeeewww, just tuned in; whose sweater, whose splotch?

Didn't someone over at TWoP start calling her Sponge Deb Spooge Sweater after that?  (or was that just me?)  :-)

• Love 3

Watching today's episodes has reminded me how annoying Pratt's 'brother' Leon was.  I know we're supposed to feel empathy for the poor brain damaged guy, but all the weeping and wailing gets old fast.

And, yeah, as soon as the wayward brother turned up in the ER, I was thinking, 'Science, bitches!'.  ER really did have some great casting people, it's a veritable who's who of the up and coming.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6
27 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Watching today's episodes has reminded me how annoying Pratt's 'brother' Leon was.  I know we're supposed to feel empathy for the poor brain damaged guy, but all the weeping and wailing gets old fast.

Just made me miss Season 1's Patrick all the more.  He was sweet and funny, and I hated that we never saw him again.  

• Love 5

Eeeeyyyeeewww, just tuned in; whose sweater, whose splotch?

I'm guessing they were trying to capitalize off Sex and the City's popularity?

Watching today's episodes has reminded me how annoying Pratt's 'brother' Leon was. I know we're supposed to feel empathy for the poor brain damaged guy, but all the weeping and wailing gets old fast.

Two episodes in a row of "Leon gets himself into a bad situation and Pratt has to save him" was a little much. According to IMDB, this was the last we see of him.

I watched the episodes last night where Abby's brother gets sick and she tries to help, only to be turned away. I 100% agree with too much Abby. That being said, I could appreciate how alone she felt when her fellow "survivor of mom's issues" who she banded together with growing up, got sick and told her she doesn't belong. You would feel very alone. That's the biggest positive I have .

The family hit by the drunk driver while making a snowman was so sad. I have 2 boys so imagining losing one but having him help save the other gutted me.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I watched the episodes last night where Abby's brother gets sick and she tries to help, only to be turned away. I 100% agree with too much Abby. That being said, I could appreciate how alone she felt when her fellow "survivor of mom's issues" who she banded together with growing up, got sick and told her she doesn't belong. You would feel very alone. That's the biggest positive I have .

The family hit by the drunk driver while making a snowman was so sad. I have 2 boys so imagining losing one but having him help save the other gutted me.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious that Abby felt excluded from the family circle as the only non-bipolar member.  However, to an extent, she brought it on herself with her rigid attitudes and lack of acceptance of any viewpoint other than her own concerning the problem.  She was sure the Air Force MP's wouldn't realize Eric was mentally ill, then certain the Air Force docs couldn't possibly diagnose him or give him the proper meds.  She was utterly flabbergasted and hurt that her brother had confided in their mother and called her first. The only acceptable treatment for him was a rigid program where someone watched him all day long and made sure he took his meds.  I can see how both her mother and her brother found her to be awfully judgmental and dismissive of their own feelings and needs.

• Love 3