Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: I've Got A Reason To Hate You

It's official, the only person with a worse wig than Scarlett is her mother.

Word.  Seriously, are the producers of this show so short of money that they can't manage better hair (fake or otherwise) for these women?  Why they choose to attach that gigantic honk of hair to tiny little Clare Bowen is beyond me.  It looks like it's devouring her.  The piece of hair on top of Pam Tilllis' head didn't look all that great either.  

I'm starting to like the Scarlett character again.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 2

It would be so nice if Juliette had someone to talk to who had been through what she's going through. A baby, a new marriage, finding her voice again while adjusting to all that. Gosh. If only she could find another artist like that...

Because I didn't say it before...Jeff is vile. 

• Love 7

It's a little weird how none of the storylines intersect with each other. I don't really get why the abused lady is even on this show, but everyone else also seems to be on their own islands (i.e Gunnar and his nephew, Juliette and Avery, Teddy, Rayna, Deacon). How sad is it that Jeff seems to be Teddy's only "friend"?

Edited by bantering
  • Love 4

This continues to be the most disjointed, non-sensical show I've ever watched on television.  It's a fricking druggie's dreamscape.  People float in and out of contact with one another, timelines make no sense, basic biological facts are ignored (blood-typing), the realities of human psychology and development are stomped on, characters and situations show up and then disappear (Juliette's Patsy Cline movie, and her friendship with Noah, Scarlett's homeless singing friend - poof, they're gone).  People are nasty, then all nice and loving.  A man who has perpetrated a truly dangerous, criminal act (Jeff's drug pushing on Layla) can blackmail the one man who kept him out of trouble, just because that one man slept with a prostitute?  He told Teddy "I owe you one."  This is his return-the-favor behavior???  And really, now that we've seen the upcoming scenes on next week's show of Rayna's hissy over Maddie being signed to Edgehill - TEDDY CAVED?  I know he loves his daughter and wants her to be happy, but seriously?

And then there's the music.  Scarlett, Beverly and Deacon harmonizing gloriously in the kitchen, and we only hear a part of it, then the stupid phone rings.  Rayna signing the song she and Maddie wrote together, but...we only get to hear a part of that, too.  CAN'T THEY LET THEM FINISH A DAMN SONG???

There's way more but hell, what's the point.  The writers, producers, directors don't care, as long as we tune in to Bizarro Nashville Universe every week.  And at least there's Juliette and Avery.  I'm adding my voice to the previous poster's who stated that if the writers do anything ugly with their baby/parenthood experience it will be all over.  Same here.  Touch these two and/or their little girl and you lose me for fucking ever - I mean it.  I will have a reason to hate you.

Edited by mousegirl
  • Love 8

This continues to be the most disjointed, non-sensical show I've ever watched on television.  It's a fricking druggie's dreamscape.  People float in and out of contact with one another, timelines make no sense, basic biological facts are ignored (blood-typing), the realities of human psychology and development are stomped on, characters and situations show up and then disappear (Juliette's Patsy Cline movie, and her friendship with Noah, Scarlett's homeless singing friend - poof, they're gone).  People are nasty, then all nice and loving.  A man who has perpetrated a truly dangerous, criminal act (Jeff's drug pushing on Layla) can blackmail the one man who kept him out of trouble, just because that one man slept with a prostitute?  He told Teddy "I owe you one."  This is his return-the-favor behavior???  And really, now that we've seen the upcoming scenes on next week's show of Rayna's hissy over Maddie being signed to Edgehill - TEDDY CAVED?  I know he loves his daughter and wants her to be happy, but seriously?

Well said. When was the last time that Rayna and Juliette shared a scene? When this show began it focused on the competition between a rising young singer and an established star. Now, their story lines rarely intersect...even though Juliette is on Rayna's label. Its like they are on different shows. 

The writers have no idea of what to do with some of these characters. Teddy continues to be the show's punching bag. Jeff is a one-dimensional villain who runs a record label thru threats and blackmail. For some reason, Gunnar was given a son...who then wasn't his son. Will is making the same choices now that he did in S1. Come on - how about come character development? 

Can't say that I am interested in the "Maddie has a recording deal" story line. There will be lots of yelling and screaming. Everyone will hate Teddy. Poor Daphne gets ignored. And, of course, Rayna will be self-righteous.  

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 4

It was pretty low for Bev to ask what has Deacon done for her lately, given that he paid for her treatment when she had her psychotic breakdown many years ago. It is also unbelievable that she'd doubt that he's help her out again if it was the other way around with her being the one who needed a liver. On the other hand, I thought her asking why she'd have to save him from a problem he himself caused was realistic, because that was the exact same thing my sister said to my brother when he needed her for something (no where nearly as big as a transplant, but they aren't talking anymore).

This continues to be the most disjointed, non-sensical show I've ever watched on television.  It's a fricking druggie's dreamscape.  People float in and out of contact with one another, timelines make no sense, basic biological facts are ignored (blood-typing), the realities of human psychology and development are stomped on, characters and situations show up and then disappear (Juliette's Patsy Cline movie, and her friendship with Noah, Scarlett's homeless singing friend - poof, they're gone).

I can't say I'd agree. This wasn't my favorite episode, but I thought it was very coherent with a clear running theme (families being there for each-other). The same goes for the entire season, where all the main characters are given one clear arc, like Rayna losing herself to her growing fame and Ruke, Scarlet getting the nerve to perform again, Juliet's pregnancy, Gunner's son, and so on. I think it is perfectly okay for characters like Noah and Terry is come and go because they only existed to service the stories of the main characters.

Edited by quangtran

Because I didn't say it before...Jeff is vile.

I have said so before, and I still think it bears repeating.

I don't blame Beverley for having fears about the operation, and a lot of jobs don't have the kind of security where you can take several weeks off to recover from surgery; that seems a very real concern. Even resentment of having to rescue Deacon from the results of his own bad choices is understandable, up to a point. If she truly loved her brother, she might resist the temptation to verbalize that resentment.

What I blame Beverley for is a lifetime of putting herself first -- before her daughter's needs, before her relationship with anyone else; her own sense of entitlement and blame counts for more than her brother's life. Yes, Scarlett ought to have mentioned all the reasons for her phone call, but I don't happen to agree that she lied to get her mother there. Only a truly selfish person could look at her dying brother and decide she was the one getting the raw deal.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 7

Lord save us from whiny children! Between Maddie's continual "Wah! Everyone is so meeeeean to me!" and Micah's brattiness (and a kid actor who sucks) this was barely watchable. Man, isn't Maddie's going to feel bad when she finds out Deacon is sick? I hate how the writers are positioning her as his only hope.

Regarding Teddy having dirt on Jeff, didn't he order (or at least encourage) the police to drop the party investigation? If that comes to light, that he interfered, it won't look too good for him either.

The thing with Teddy and Jeff is dumb. It would never hold up in court. Rayna and Teddy have a custody agreement, and I don't care what Jeff says; I don't buy that one divorced parent can go around making legal decisions without the other's consent if they share custody. Plus, all Rayna has to do to void that contract is show a DNA test that says Deacon is Maddie's father. Teddy will be scratched from her birth certificate and his parental rights voided. Tennessee doesn't play with stuff like that. And what kind of lousy publicity for Edgehill when the Queen of Country goes around saying her kid was signed without her consent. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

THIS!

Juliet and Avery have the only redeeming storyline on this show.

Oh, and I still don't trust Sadie.  I thought for sure she was up to no good when she cancelled.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

Is Teddy going to realize he pimped his daughter so that Jeff could keep his job? Why does the mayor of Nashville have to be such a dumbass?

I do think they need to mix up the cast a little bit better. Sadie's on her own island (okay I don't care about that) but there's no reason why there can't be a scene or two with Rayna and Juliette.

• Love 4

There's never enough Avery and Juliette.  They've been averaging 2-3 minutes out of a total of 42!  Come on, show!

Yes, perhaps it's due to Hayden's pregnancy.  But since they've become the main reason I watch, I don't have to like it. ;-)

I would also like to hear Avery perform again; while I also used to enjoy his solos, I think he makes a great duet partner.  The busking song with HP from last year is still one of my favorites, even though it lasted for all of about thirty seconds.

• Love 6

I do think they need to mix up the cast a little bit better. Sadie's on her own island (okay I don't care about that) but there's no reason why there can't be a scene or two with Rayna and Juliette.

Having Juliette talk to Maddie about the pluses and minuses of starting out so young is a no-brainer. 

• Love 1

I was wondering when Jeff was finally going to pull the blackmail card on Teddy. Oh Teddy, you big dumbass.

The Sadie story is starting to interest me. Sadly I assume her story will get more upsetting before it gets better.

Thank God Micah's grandparents stopped being asses to Gunnar. I couldn't take much more of that crap from them, especially considering what a peach their own daughter turned out to be.

Oh, Beverly, you self-absorbed monster. Yes, your family only wants you for an organ when you act like this. Deal with it. (Not to say she was obligated to say yes or didn't have a right to be scared about the surgery or even mad that Deacon did this to himself with his drinking. But really? No concern at all that her brother could die? No concern that her fragile daughter might lose a beloved uncle? Just "me me me"? Oh, she just sucks.)

I guess Maddie's gonna have to cough up part of a liver now. You know it's coming. Teddy and Rayna will spend the rest of the season fighting over whether she is old enough to sing professionally v. agree to donate 2/3 of her liver to Deacon.

• Love 2

Thank God Micah's grandparents stopped being asses to Gunnar. I couldn't take much more of that crap from them, especially considering what a peach their own daughter turned out to be.

But they (or at least the grandfather) have been asses to Micah. In the guise of not lying to him anymore, they tell him how awful (in their view) his father was, so the kid thinks he's destined to be bad. Yeah, good grand-parenting there. On the other hand, Gunnar's child whispering was too much to bear. Not to mention handing over a cell phone BEFORE okaying it with his grandparents and then setting them up to be the bad guys if they're not on board.

I was expecting a phone call saying Deacon's sister was in a car wreck, and they'd deliver a liver to Deacon. Or maybe I was just hoping...

• Love 1

I can only really stand to watch Juliette and Avery now so it's sad that they only get 3 two second scenes each episode. 

With that said, I really enjoyed their scenes. And, sorry to say, but I laughed at Juliette's first scene. I just think it's sweet that, as much as I'm sure she can't wait to hold her daughter, she also just can't wait to no longer be pregnant. 

Also, I'm really hoping that, once the baby is here, we get more and longer scenes with all three because Juliette and Avery are my only reasons to watch.

• Love 2