Type keyword(s) to search

Our Little Family - General Discussion

• Start Topic

First of all, I laughed for a solid minute (as in, outright guffawed) when Dan mistook Michelle's intention to start juicing as taking steroids. Jesus, how dumb is he? I hated the fact that he disparaged eating vegetables so vehemently in front of the kids. Whether he likes them or not, he should at least try to encourage the kids to eat vegetables along with their pizza.

I see that TLC is trotting out their tried-and-true "Let's Force this Family to Eat Heathly and Commit to Exercising" storyline. We've seen this template on countless other reality shows. Neither the parents nor the kids really want to do it and you know that they're returning to their unhealthy habits the moment the cameras are loaded back into the truck. Lord knows I'm not judging anyone's health choices, but I can't stand this phony, contrived crap. "Hey kids, let's visit the local organic market to shop for $5 lettuce before we hit Wendy's for lunch." "Hey kids, let's pretend to permanently eliminate every food you love from your diet!" "Hey honey, let's start a hardcore and completely unsustainable exercise program that we will not follow after filming wraps." So utterly formulaic.

Uncle Whatshisface didn't seem enthusiastic about being part of this week's storyline at all. I don't fault him; my brother would've had a similar reaction to being asked to perform solo babysitting duties with his twin three-year-old nieces. Additionally, he would've laughed in my face if I had asked him to create Color Run posters.

Dan and Michelle seem more than a little bit uncomfortable with each other and the show. There's a weird, tense undercurrent to all of their interactions.

I truly don't think this show has a long-term future.

• Love 2

When Dan and the kids took the putting green down stairs instead of outside, Michelle came down there and said  "I told you to take that outside"

She said that to her husband, not just to the kids. She demanded that he do as she said, and take the putting green outside.

I understand her wanting the kids to go outside but she demanded that her  *grown-up husband* do as she said.

This family is just odd to me. No love between the parent's and the kids are very weird. Not because of being little, either. They all scream and cry and just speak very odd to me. Then add to it the LP factor...I just go back to the fact that the parent's aren't doing the kids any favors putting them on TV. Jack is not funny. And neither was his pudgy friend. Uncle J gives me a creep factor and do we really need to know every time Cee Cee wants to pee or poop? Add to that their tongues always hanging out of their mouths, I just find the show gross.

Dan has really gotten fat. He and Michelle don't seem to have much in common. Have we seen her smile once at Dan?

This has got to be the weirdest seen I have seen on TLC in quite awhile.

• Love 2

They are the goofiest hypocrites I have ever seen. The mom running over to people in Washington D.C. yelling at them to not take photos while they are being trailed by a FILM CREW. I mean really?????

I know!!!  And the reason they were being trailed by a film crew was because they were being filmed for a tv show and the reason they were being filmed for a tv show was because they are a little family!!  Can't have it both ways Hamills!   

• Love 2

Well Im sure the TLC paycheck really augments his Lowe's salary. Lots of financial concerns: kids, the stay at home mom, a rental unit in Annapolis is not cheap. If this show--and their marriage--lasts, it will be a miracle.

• Love 2

All I know is that I really enjoyed seeing the kids and everyone so happy. Even all the Roloffs seemed happy. I don't get all the criticism, I guess haters wanna hate. I thought the Roloffs were warm and gracious hosts, I thought everyone looked like they had a good time. I think it was a very good experience for the kids. The farm looks beautiful. We only have a small, producer driven glimpse into the Hamills lives. How can anyone be so judgemental and critical?

I think Jacob Roloff needs some professional counsel, but I don't know how much of his issues are related to being on tv. That's what he needs to work thru with a professional.

• Love 1

This show continues to bore me but I can't not watch.  What is wrong with me!!!

Dan may have had the most chill reaction to skydiving than anyone anywhere ever!  Dude is laid back! 

I think Michelle looks so pretty when she has her hair pulled back in a pony tail.

The girls were cute at ballet.  Love that one of them chose a black leotard and tutu.

Maybe I'm not 'that' bored after all :)

• Love 1

Dan's low energy approach is the opposite of Michelle's high energy!  Same as The Little Couple's Kleins.  Cate got the big forehead trait and while Cece didn't there is something about her mouth that is different.  I love their natural blonde/white hair, children of the corn or not!  I think Jack will be able to handle his words better when he gets all his second teeth.  Cece is very attached to her mother, Cate not so much.  I did have to replay Cece accidentally whacking Cate with the tin cup though and laughed but it did look like it hurt! 

• Love 1

One of the girls said to the camera that mommy was a good cook, and then when her mother left the room, said not really. Not too many three year olds talk this way, and  especially not these girls as they seem a bit on the slow side at times. Sounds more like one of Jack's lines. He was quiet this week..guess too many complaints about his smart mouth, and there was lots of hugging and kissing after people said the parents showed no affection for each other at all. This show is even more scripted than most if possible.

This show, these parent's are doing no favors to their children. This is worse than the Gosselin's in my opinion.  People think these kids are cute with their squeaky voices and tiny bodies are just terrible. The line feeding is SO annoying. All these set up events have all been done on other TLC shows. It is just boring.

Michelle is just a meany and treats Dan like he is just an idiot.

Uncle J looks like an alcoholic, and has referened drinking a few too many times. And her friend/neighbor seems to be very comfortable on camera.

I am waiting for the new house and custom kitchen.  This show should really be called "Keeping Up With the Roloff's and Arnold's.

• Love 2

I am surprised how much I dislike this show.  The Michelle and Dan have zero chemistry.  Dan is stiff as a board and talks like he's reading from cue cards.  Michelle is a helicopter mom.  We get it Michelle, your kids are your life.  Your husband should be just as important to you as your kids.  The best thing you can do for your kids is to have a happy marriage.  They don't even show the affection roommates would show one another.  Jack is annoying, and the lines they give him make him even more so.  Kate is constantly whining/crying.  I guess Cici is the only one who doesn't annoy me.  Although I'm sure that'll change.

And my going to hell statement is, that other than Dan, this is the most unattractive family I've ever seen on TV?

• Love 2

I think I might be done with this show. I love to snark on idiots on TV (hi, Sister Wives!), but this one just isn't fun to watch on any level. Let me count the ways from tonight's episode:

* Michelle fished the spit-covered lemon peel out of the freshly-prepared lemonade that she was about to serve to her neighbors. Between that and the feet all over the kitchen counters during meal prep, the bad hygiene practices on this show are off-the-charts.

* Uncle J is just plain gross. I get the feeling that he didn't spend much time with the kids before the show began. His rapport with them is awkward at best and he doesn't seem to know them very well. His schmucky comments to Jack about tattoos, not wearing underwear, and jailhouse teardrop tattoos, etc. were completely unnecessary.

* The couch discussion about Dan taking the kids in the divorce was super awkward. I'm really not convinced that Dan and Michelle even like each other. I understand that not every family is going to be extremely comfortable on TV, but watching their interactions is unpleasant. I place a lot of the blame for that on Michelle. She's very abrasive toward Dan at times.

* The sassy little one-liners that the kids are fed constantly are getting old fast.

* I'm sick and tired of watching reality TV characters entering stores or restaurants and being shown the name of the establishment two or three times, making it clear that the family isn't paying one dime. Because that's realistic.

* Michelle's complaints about wanting jewelry for Mother's Day. She couldn't even allow Dan to enjoy Father's Day without thinking about what she wanted for a change. Be a little bit more cliché, Michelle.

* You can definitely tell that the kids never participated in these types of activities before the show.

I might make it through one more episode, but I probably won't.

• Love 3

I don't get the 'artistic' slo-mo the director uses every time there is some kind of action shot, like on last night's episode at the indoor play place.  

I don't know how one can tell that Uncle J is an alcoholic just by looking at him, but he does seem somewhat inappropriate in some of the things he says to Jack.  The other brother is much more attractive than Uncle J.  What is the birth order of their family?   I kind of like Dan, but I agree with others that find absolutely no bond between Dan and Michelle or whatever the mother's name is.  Jack is cute but has a really smart mouth.  He is going to end up getting popped in school one day for mouthing off to the wrong person.  He does appear to be quite intelligent---unlike the sisters, which I hate to say look vacant to me.  

I don't know how one can tell that Uncle J is an alcoholic just by looking at him...   

Jack is cute but has a really smart mouth.  He is going to end up getting popped in school one day for mouthing off to the wrong person.  He does appear to be quite intelligent..

I agree.  He also wears a wedding band, but we've never see his wife.  Suppose it could be a husband.  Either way, very curious what his spouse is like.  I really like him.  And I think Jack does too.  I feel like he looks up to him (pun not intended) as a male role model.

Jack does seem like a bright kid to me.  But, he bugs.  And that sucks, bc it's not his choice to be on tv.

Ugh, when they were at the play place and Michelle was in the barrel thing and kept falling over.  Not funny.

Edited by woodscommaelle

I guess I'm in la-la land because I like this family more than the Roloffs, Arnold-Kleins, or most other TLC families. The kids are cute weirdos which I find entertaining, and I like that the adults are matter-of-fact and not mushy. The mom reminds me of a lot of women I knew growing up in nearby Pennsylvania. They're a little awkward on camera but better than fame whores.

I also am baffled by the idea that Uncle J is an alcoholic. He's a goober but there are a million possible reasons for that!

• Love 3

I guess I'm in la-la land because I like this family more than the Roloffs, Arnold-Kleins, or most other TLC families. The kids are cute weirdos which I find entertaining, and I like that the adults are matter-of-fact and not mushy. The mom reminds me of a lot of women I knew growing up in nearby Pennsylvania. They're a little awkward on camera but better than fame whores.

I also am baffled by the idea that Uncle J is an alcoholic. He's a goober but there are a million possible reasons for that!

You are not alone!  I agree!  The only part of last night's show I used FF on was the early romance stuff.  I kept skipping to the parts with the kids.  I also see no hint of Uncle J with alcohol.  I don't see a bad relationship between Dan and Michelle, just the opposite, their relationship seems normal to me and very happy. 

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1

I find it kind of boring. Same stuff, same reality formula. Each episode there's the arc and we can count on at least one appearance by Uncle J and his crazy hijinks. The girls are cute, but I can't stand the producers manipulation of, "let's sit them on the couch surrounded by tons of items (Oh Canada flags, princess gear, whatever) of which we're talking about and throw in their reactions to them. The kids are obviously coached on what to say, or what they said they probably said in no reference to what is going on, and it's just so odd.  To me, it's no different than any other stay at home mom and her kids during her day.

I will say I was impressed with Michelle, she answered a question of mine on Twitter real quick.  At least she reaches out to viewers.

• Love 2

It's a given that reality shows are heavily influenced by producers; no big revelation there. I'm just saying I find this particular reality family more likable than their counterparts. There's no obnoxious presence like a Jen Arnold or Matt Roloff, and the kids are much cuter. 

• Love 4

The kids just seem a bit off to me. I have a seven year old grand son, and compared to him, Jack acts like a 3-4 year old. It's not because he is a little person either, as the Roloff boy didn't act the way these kids do when he was young.

• Love 1

The kids just seem a bit off to me. I have a seven year old grand son, and compared to him, Jack acts like a 3-4 year old. It's not because he is a little person either, as the Roloff boy didn't act the way these kids do when he was young.

They do all seem to be a bit behind their peers.  The twins seem a year at least behind my three year old grandson.

These kids are way ahead of the Klein's kids and can not only talk but have reasoning and listening skills and aren't consumed with eating! 

• Love 2

Hopefully they are ahead of the Klein kids with the relative advantages that they have and with skipping all the deleterious effects of having been in an orphanage and such. 

True adopted children sometimes require an additional 1-2 years of time to bring their development age up to their chronological age but seriously the Hamill twins at 3 are way ahead of Will who is 5+ now.  

• Love 1

I think I'd want to see actual testing to see who was ahead between the twins and Will. :)  Of course, it isn't a race. 

Once again, the show was not in the top 100 cable shows of the week. 

I think I'd want to see actual testing to see who was ahead between the twins and Will. :)  Of course, it isn't a race. 

Once again, the show was not in the top 100 cable shows of the week. 

The test played out on tv shows the twins are ahead!  Too bad the show isn't catching on as there are very few shows left to watch on that network.  I hope the Hamills can capitalize on their 5 minutes of fame both financially for their kid's education, a nice customized house and I am glad to see Dan's talents showcased on the show.   

OMG.  I have only seen a few episodes but I'm watching the NYC trip right now and I'm yelling at the tv because I'm shocked at what dopes the parents are regarding keeping track of their YOUNG kids while in one of the busiest and crowded cities in the United States.  Geeeesh!!!! 

I think it's great that the parents want to travel with their kids, but except for the older boy Jack (?), I think they could've waited a few more years to hit up NYC.  I realize that it was probably TLC's idea and they live relatively close.... but the parents don't seem to be very well prepared for spending time in the city with 3 little kids.

Oh well.... JMHO.

I love that one of the girls saw a yellow school bus and thought that was their New York City Tour Bus!!!!  HAH!!!  Cute.

Ali:  Do you have anything sweet?

Michelle:  Oh, you know what?  I have these Brookside (Brookdale??) chocolates.

Blech!  Product placement at its finest!

• Love 3

Wow that woman had some nerve coming over to one of the twins and actually touching her head/face!  Dan was pissed and rightly so!

That was a lot of walking for their little legs and I am sure the noise and hustle bustle of the streets was overwhelming but they did very well.  

I am sure the network saves money by taking advertiser's money for products and hotels so they don't have to pay for it.  

Wow that woman had some nerve coming over to one of the twins and actually touching her head/face!  Dan was pissed and rightly so!

That was a lot of walking for their little legs and I am sure the noise and hustle bustle of the streets was overwhelming but they did very well.  

I am sure the network saves money by taking advertiser's money for products and hotels so they don't have to pay for it.  

Yes to everything.  And that hotel room was beautiful!!!!

• Love 1

NY didn't make the top 100 cable shows of the day either. 

Someone talked about testing the twins - I didn't see that.  Admittedly this show bores me and I don't watch it intently.  I think I would have noticed that though.

I had thought the twins were a bit behind too, but now am thinking they are actually advanced for their age. How many three year olds can deliver lines fed to them the way they do? The show would be better if they just let the kids be themselves, instead of making them parrot the producers many "cute" one liners.It looked like they were in diapers in New York? Aren't they close to four by now?

• Love 1

Dan freaked out a little when the lady came up and touched Cece's face.  And I agree that it was a completely inappropriate thing to do.  However, the woman was speaking Italian.  She said "Ciao, piccolina!", basically, "Hi, Baby!"  I don't think the woman was trying to be forward or intrusive.  It was just a cultural difference.  Having one's ass pinched isn't uncommon in Italy, so I can see how pinching a baby's cheek wouldn't seem out of line to someone from there.  

• Love 2

Regarding the Italian tourist : The twin (don't remember if it was Tori Spelling or the other one) was waving to her, perhaps the tourist thought it was alright to approach her.

In my opinion what the taxi driver did was inappropriate.

I can see how frustrating it would be to have a stranger touch your kids head in public. I'm half Mexican and live in a city with a high population of Mexicans. Many women, especially older ones always touch your baby. My grandma used to do the same. They mean well. This lady looked to be of some Latin culture, I don't think she meant any harm or to be rude.

How many times did Michelle say "our little bubble?"  And how many times did Dan say, "we want to show them the world, then let them pick". Pick what? I get what he was getting at, but it's almost like he found the key to parenting.

They're not doing Jack any favors letting him run his mouth like that. I don't think it's cute and I can't understand him most of the time. I don't know why they felt the needed to bring 3 kids, 2 being toddlers, to busy NYC. The girls are almost too young for it.

Uncle J is so the not-gay Uncle Poodle of this show. The "lets be as wacky as possible sidekick. Glad it's almost over. I think they could easily make these 30 minute episodes and cut some of that excess filler out.

• Love 1