Type keyword(s) to search

Season 14: Spoilers Discussion

• Start Topic

According to MJ at mjsbigblog, we may be getting the Top 24 --> 20 --> 16 format this year, but 6 get cut at the last semi round, giving us a Top 10 (no word on wildcards). Also, per MJ's blog, the final 24 are:

Females:

1. Adanna Duru
2. Alexis Gomez
3. Jackie Cole (Jax)
4. Joey Cook
5. Katherine Winston
6. Loren Lott
7. Lovey James
8. Maddie Walker
9. Sarina-Joi Crowe
10. Shannon Berthiaume
11. Shaina "Shi" Scott
12. Tyanna Jones

Males:

1. Adam Ezeglian
2. Clark Beckham
3. Daniel Seavey
4. Mark Andrew Pudas
5. Michael Simeon Smith
6. Nick Fradiani, Jr.
7. Qaasim Middleton
8. Quentin Alexander
9. Rayvon Owen
10. Riley Bria
11. Savion Wright
12. Trevor Douglas Haueisen

I'm a little disappointed that Cody Fry, Najah Lewis, and Hunter Larsen didn't make it in (they did make the last cut before the Top 24). The only ones I'm dreading are Trevor, Daniel, and Loren.

Most of my favorites from auditions like Miles, Ellen Peterson, Hunter, etc. did not make it. I also find it funny that the judges have said "so and so could win this thing" and they didn't even make the top 24. There are definitely some people on the list that shouldn't be, but maybe they'll surprise us in HWood.

Why oh why are they wasting a spot on Lovey James, especially with Ellen, Hunter and Jelly still available? I get that it's a TV show and she's marketable, but she had better blow me away in Hollywood.

My memory on the guys is a little fuzzier, but Rayvon and Quentin were my favorite male auditions (after Kohlton, but I am fully expecting him to gloriously flame out during Hollywood a la Kez Ban). Disappointed not to see Reno in the Top 24, but I was surprised to see he'd even made the Top 48 so I will take what I can get.

Edited by Oholibamah

Actually I thought I read somewhere that Kohlton dropped out before Hollywood, which isn't a surprise considering he doesn't stay in the same place for more than a few days. I wonder if the producers will even acknowledge his disappearance or just pretend like he was never there. 

Actually I thought I read somewhere that Kohlton dropped out before Hollywood, which isn't a surprise considering he doesn't stay in the same place for more than a few days. I wonder if the producers will even acknowledge his disappearance or just pretend like he was never there. 

Interesting, but not at all surprising. If he's available to provide some sort of a soundbyte I reckon they'll mention him; otherwise they'll probably ignore him unless they can put together a montage including a few others who weren't able to make the journey. It might seem awkward and shoehorned in, otherwise.

TBH, this is probably preferable to how he likely would have progressed through the competition - he either would have started sucking, or been genius but hated by the judges, makig me hate TPTB -  but his audition was absolutely haunting. Would've been nice to see him one more time.

According to MJ at mjsbigblog, we may be getting the Top 24 --> 20 --> 16 format this year, but 6 get cut at the last semi round, giving us a Top 10 (no word on wildcards)

This? Terrifies me.

In theory this should be the best Semifinal method, but the jump from 16 to 12 is always bad enough for atrophying some amazing talent. I am scared to see what kind of talent we lose jumping from 16 to 10!

Oddly enough, the one-shot 12 sing and 5 advance with 3 wildcard slots tends to produce the most streamlined group of finalists. It also keeps the Semifinals to only one week, which is extremely efficient. Yeah, we may still lose some talent by giving them only one shot, but they can shoehorn in somebody they love that screws up by putting them in the Wildcard.

The last two years in a row we've somehow ended up with the best possible Final Four. And Season 11 had 8 possible candidates to make an amazing Final 4. So maybe I should have more faith in the voters... but we will see.

Edited by Oholibamah

There haven't been any posts or news confirming that it will go from 16 to 10. I was just speculating based upon scheduled that have been posted. Sometimes that the cuts from 16 to 12 were harsh in this format. I remember the Top 16 massacre which killed the little bit of interest I had in S9.

However. the voting has been pretty solid since Season 11's final 10. But 6 is a lot to cut... that's close to half the field. The odds of a contestant getting axed based solely on numbers don't get that bad again until about final 3! I imagine that if a chosen one gets cut, they'll expand the Top 10 to a Top 12 12 and just boot 2 finalists for the first two weeks (which, actually, wouldn't be the worst idea).

Maybe I don't know jack squat about this show anymore. I thought Adam Lasher was in for sure. But maybe he is considered "old" (at 27!!) which is just wrong and that makes me sad. Adam Lambert was old....er.... but, yes, there is only one Lambert.

Official press releases from Idol:

2/25 - Semi-Finals: Top 12 Men

2/26 - Semi-Finals: Top 12 Women

*Both of these episodes will be taped, not live. 1 hour each.

3/4 - Semi-Finals: Top 12 Men Results and Top 8 Men perform

3/5 - Semi-Finals: Top 12 Women Results and Top 8 Women performances

*These two episodes will be live. 1 hour each.

3/11 - Top 16 Results, Top 12 Finalists Revealed.

3/12 - Top 12 Performances.

*Both are live. 1 hour each.

3/19 (THURSDAY) - Top 12 Results, Top 10 Perform

*Live. 2 hours. 2 finalists go home.

So we go from 24 to 16 to 12. I don't hate it, considering America's vote has pretty much cut the field from 24 to 10 with some producer picks (some of which are maddening) since season 10. 

Seems that way. Also I don't know how they plan to fit 12 performances into 1 hour, unless critiques are shortened to maybe only 1 judge per singer. Or every singer only gets 1 minute to sing.

They managed to fit 12 singers in an hour during Carrie Underwood's season by pre-taping, and the semi-final Top 12 shows won't be live. They'll be able to edit down anything extraneous. We'll see about the first episode of the finals though (says it's an hour AND live... good luck with that, Uncle Pers).

Edited by ShutUpFlanders

Seems that way. Also I don't know how they plan to fit 12 performances into 1 hour, unless critiques are shortened to maybe only 1 judge per singer. Or every singer only gets 1 minute to sing.

Hey, if 90 seconds is enough for iTunes... 

For a long time, Cody Fry was listed as being in the top 24.  Now all of a sudden, his name was switched out with that of Michael Simeon Smith. 

I'm super bummed.  Whittling the girls down to my favorite 5 or 6 is sort of easy for me.  The boys are much harder.  I like all of them (but wish Cody was in over Michael). 

Hunter is easily better than a handful of the girls on that list. It's so obvious that the show learned a major lesson from last year because a lot of the female talent are either belters or sweet pop singers. There aren't a lot of "unique" voices this year. I'm glad to see the two guys from "Team Dimples" made it. 

We saw Adanna's audition. I don't remember what she sang though.

Personally I don't care for Cody so I'm not sad about him not being in the Top 24. He always seems sleepy to me. Then again I don't care for Michael too much either.

Hunter is easily better than a handful of the girls on that list. It's so obvious that the show learned a major lesson from last year because a lot of the female talent are either belters or sweet pop singers. There aren't a lot of "unique" voices this year. I'm glad to see the two guys from "Team Dimples" made it. 

With the exception of Sarina-Joi Crowe, I would gladly trade Hunter for any of the girls in the top 12. : (

I still find it hard to believe there won't be some wiggle room for wild cards so that they can, if necessary, shove their chosen ones down our throat at the expense of some who really should have made it. 

I'm not sure there's necessarily anything wrong with no wild cards (hello Ca-a-a-a-armen, goodbye Chip Days), just surprised they're not preparing for them if needed.

Maybe this year they are confident that their chosen ones will all get through via vote.

Spoilers have been posted on MJs on the guys' taping: Song choices and who got eliminated. I am particularly sad about one of them, the other 3 did not surprise me or I'm eh on it. There were 2 that are still there that I can't believe didn't get eliminated.

I just ... can't ... deal with Savion getting cut first round, questionable song choice or not. I really thought he had the groundswell love from last season ...

I have been Team Savion since his first audition so I am very very very sad. You can tell by the three verys. 

I'm really surprised that Adam made it. I had quite liked him in the Hollywood rounds but he actually made me physically cringe in Top 12. 

Otherwise, no BIG surprises for me ... I thought Riley would make it before Top 12 performed but he was so meh that I kept forgetting he was there. 

I DO like Qaasim and Quentin, though ... 

I don't expect any big surprises among the girls. But yeah, Savion is a surprise ... an unpleasant one ...

I think this makes Tyanna and Qaasim my personal TCOs, now.

That said, I still am calling a Jax-Daniel final two and have been since auditions. Ugh.

I'm surprised at all of them, as Riley seems the most marketable and the others got a ton of screentime in Hollywood.

I think if voters had been able to combine everybody in votes, fewer than four guys would be going home and more than four girls would be going home.

Spoilers for tonight have been posted:

The four women cut: Shi, Lovey, Shannon, and Katherine

via twitter.com/IdolSpoilers

Dammit. I was really pulling for my hometown girl, Katherine. Hopefully this gets her enough exposure to get signed by a small indie label. She's a sweetheart.

Per MJs, our Top 12 (and potential first major shock and surprises of the season):

I'm unsure of the order they were announced.

Top 10 Men (voted in): Qaasim, Clark, Rayvon, Nick, Daniel

Top 10 Women (voted in): Sarina-Joi, Maddie, Joey, JAX, Tyanna

Wildcards: Quentin, Adanna

Eliminated from the Top 16: Adam, Mark, Alexis, Loren

Shocking? Quentin had the pimp spot and had to be Wildcarded in. Surprise? The judges put through Adanna over Loren.

Too bad Daniel's still there. Other than him and to a lesser extent, the boring as all hell Maddie, we've got a genuinely solid Top 12. If we could've traded those two for Katherine and Savion, this would've been a perfect set of finalists.

• Love 1

I truly hate this season of Idol, but I will try to keep my complaints to a minimum (why dampen other people's enjoyment heh). 

I wish Savion, Katherine, Hunter, and Jaq were still in the competition (to name a few). 

Daniel is like a radioactive cockroach (imho).

Jax will never perform at the top of the hour/show (blech). 

I cannot stand Qassim or his mother's antics (although his weaknesses are already being exposed).

Most of these contestants are vocally limited (same ole same ole with AI contestants as of late).

Maddie is dull as dirt and I cannot picture Clark as being relative to today's musical scheme. 

I miss the contestants of the past that would change things up week to week (Kelly, D Cook, A Lambert) or maybe it was the themes that forced the contestants' creativity. 

Edited by yourpointis

Well, I can't really argue with the ladies, but I'd rather have had Mark than Daniel, Rayvon or especially Qaasim.  But at least Quentin made it as a wildcard and Loren is gone, gone, gone, if MJ's spoilers are accurate.

• Love 1

I was pulling for Mark because I really loved the tone of his voice, but it's really hard to keep supporting someone when their performances always come across as listless. 

Yeah, his elimination doesn't surprise me for that very reason, but, like you, I loved his tone, and wish he had given better performances.

• Love 2

I'm honestly surprised (and happy) we got rid of Adam and Mark that easily. I figured Quentin would be the wildcard since Qassim has better vocals, but both wildcards are pretty usless additions. Joey and Daniel are the worst of the girls/boys, respectively. Besides that, not as bad as the JLO seasons usually are.

I figured Quentin would be the wildcard since Qassim has better vocals,

I actually think Qaasim's vocals are mediocre at best, and Quentin is a much better singer and more interesting performer, so I wouldn't call him a 'useless' wildcard.  I think Qaasim made it through on votes, assuming the spoilers are right, because he's been featured a lot more in tv footage prior to this week.

• Love 4

I also think that, while he is by no means the best singer (though neither is he near being the worst singer of the Top 12), Qaasim is tremendously entertaining, which is something this show has been HUGELY lacking in recent years IMHO ... he's a great performer and fun to watch and clearly LOVES to be on stage and I think that connects with a lot of voters. Especially since there have been way too many "deer in the headlight" finalists of late. 

Whatever happens from here on in, I think he's probably regained some interest from TV, etc. ... maybe he'll wind up featured on a Nickelodeon show instead of in the backup band, but whatever the case, I think he's jumpstarted his career with this arc and good for him.

I actually think Qaasim's vocals are mediocre at best

I agree, but I think Quentin sounds below average. His performance value is all he's bringing to the show, imo.

EDIT: I guess we agree more than I thought--I realized I'd thought Quentin was the guy who had dreadlocks and danced better than he sings, when his name is Qassim. I guess it's clear I'm watching with full attention this year. lol

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 2