Type keyword(s) to search

Eve's Marathon Diary: Who Are You People And Why Should We Care?

Primetimer

I think S1-S2 is so jarring because we didn't know yet, what Season 2 would look like when we finished Season 1, unless you went all spoilerific. I definitely went through the first episodes with a shy should I give a damn? attitude, but like Kat says it stands out as one of my favourite seasons. I know people that work union jobs, and that rang very true.

I know I'm in the minority, but Season 2 of the "The Wire" is actually my favorite of the series run. I look forward to your thoughts as you watch.

I love season 2 as well. Frank Sobotka is probably one of the most tragic characters in the entire series (at least of the adult characters). How he ends up is entirely a result of him trying to help other people. I don't think you can say that about anyone else.

• Love 1

Hang in there when this clicks together it will be worth it. The first time I saw season 2 I was like, "WUT?" Now after countless re-watches I appreciate season 2's place in The Wire landscape. To quote Smooth Lester, "All the pieces matter"

• Love 1

Let go and let The Wire is a great motto. I know it was jarring and lots of new people come in, but you can handle it. I like your analogy with Justified, it seems apt. Gotta add new ingredients to the stew.

• Love 1

Just two of the many reasons to keep watching Season 2:

1. The duck. 
  2. Chris Bauer's performance as Frank Sobotka.
  3. Did I mention the duck? 

Let go and let The Wire is a great motto. I know it was jarring and lots of new people come in, but you can handle it. I like your analogy with Justified, it seems apt. Gotta add new ingredients to the stew.

Why, yes indeed, Beadie, you do have to add new ingredients! 

Season 2 needs to be re-watched to be fully appreciated. I hated Season 2 upon first watch. However, watching it again I realize how much I really liked Frank Sobotka and how great a setup it is for Season 3. 

I think I'm less sympathetic towards Frank Sabotka than most.

He's willing to let the ports, and his union in particular, be the drains through which the shit flows into the city.

He may not know what's in any particular container, but that's not much of an excuse when you don't want to know and are being paid not to know.

I agree with you, Constantinople.  There were some moments when I thought Chris Bauer's acting was superb, but I'm more inclined to think Frank himself was one dimensional in a mostly distasteful way.

I like S2 a lot mostly because it made me think.  That's thanks to its themes and the writing, not really for the characters that were introduced.

Just two of the many reasons to keep watching Season 2:

• The duck.
  • Chris Bauer's performance as Frank Sobotka.
  • Did I mention the duck?

Why, yes indeed, Beadie, you do have to add new ingredients!

The duck was great. He was also smarter than Ziggy and could have kicked his butt.

I hated Ziggy. If I found myself on a Baltimore corner with Ziggy, Stringer and Marlo and had Omar's 2 shot, double barreled shotgun I'd shoot Ziggy twice.

I know family is family, but it really annoyed me how much Frank and Nicky cared about that loser.

• Love 1

It's not as though I liked Ziggy.  He is memorable, however.  I can't think of anyone else I've seen, on any size screen, who has side-swiped me like he did toward the end of the season.  I was all: "I don't like you, I don't care, I think you're a total idiot" throughout most of the season, and then, at the end, I was like, "oh no, no, don't hurt, Ziggy, here, come to mama" (in a completely non-sexual, as if you are talking to a 4 year old with a badly skinned knee, kind of way."  Turned on a dime, I did.

• Love 1