Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers With Speculation

SueB
Message added by ohjoy

Please keep your speculation and comments on the end of Supernatural in the Supernatural Ending topic. Use this topic here or the Bitter Speculation topic for discussion of the upcoming season only. As always, keep Bitch vs. Jerk discussion in its own topic.

Thank you.

• Start Topic

(edited)

From 7kstar's keyboard to Chucks ears! I have no clue where this is going, but for some reason I wanna believe Crowley and Death were in on something together (whether it's actual Death or not!Death). That's where my brain is going...

Speaking of fanfic, I'll come out of the closet since everyone else is sharing... I wrote some back in the day. No need to be nice, you can tell me if it sucks, lol

Removed link

Edited: oh crap, this isn't the fanfic thread. Where am I? I'll post it there. Nothing to see here...

Edited by GirlyGeek
  • Love 1

Okay, I'm off. I'll be gone for a few days, I'm going to read all your fanfics! I promise to comment, and be brutally honest.

And I expect to see one soon by catrox14! Sooner rather than later!

• Love 1

Oh, I'm lost...I'm gone!

This is not the right place, I know, but give me a little lee way, okay?

AwesomO4000, I've only read your stuff so far, and not all of it yet. But My God I didn't expect this! It's wonderful! It's original but true to the series yet all your own at the same time. I am impressed! I'll comment more on your site, but if the rest of you write like this, I have my summer planned! I never knew!

(edited)

Thanks so much, Mick Lady! Guess I better get to writing more of that one then... I have a few more chapters ready, but I have a few more to write before it's finished.

Edited to add: And I'm also excited for you. You have so much great fanfic to find and read, since there are better fanfic writers out there than myself. I suggest that one I recommended at the bottom of my post in the fanfic thread. That one's really good.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1
(edited)

In Fan Fiction Marie sends Dean into space. Death wanted him to spend eternity in space; are these linked do you think?

I thought about that! Of course there's also robots, tentacles, and 'Dean becomes a woman' (briefly). So I'm now on the lookout for vague references to any of those things.

Edited by SueB

So, I was watching Malleus Maleficarum and it got me to thinking about Rowena and her demon lover. Could be interesting if it turned out the demon Dean killed in this episode was Rowena's lover. Ruby was one of hers and was recruited from a similar time period. Maybe this could be the origin of the Grand Coven or something like that?

I know, I know the show doesn't probably even remember this episode, but still got me to thinking.

• Love 2

So, I was watching Malleus Maleficarum and it got me to thinking about Rowena and her demon lover. Could be interesting if it turned out the demon Dean [snip]

LOL thought you were going in a TOTALLY different direction with that sentence.

The connection with Ruby is interesting, though. I find Sam and Rowena's relationship interesting in general, so the idea of Ruby being an issue between them is pretty cool imo.

(edited)

Mmmm. Ruby said she made her deal "back when the plague was big". Could either mean the 14th century or 1665. (I'm only looking at plagues that hit the UK). Either way too early to be contemporary with Rowena.

Edited by mertensia
(edited)

Well, Rowena doesn't have to be a contemporary of Ruby, the demon could've been working witches separately. But, if Crowley is the son of a 17th century tailor, it does set Rowena firmly in the 1600s.

However, I wasn't thinking that Rowena actually knew Ruby necessarily, but the demon who turned Ruby maybe was the origin to the Grand Coven and at one time got Ruby to serve her and also at one time was Rowena's lover, which could've been separate times. Was later exorcised and stuck in Hell at the time the Hell's Gate was opened in S2.

Like I said, I doubt this is where the show is going or that the show even remembers this, but I was just thinking it could be interesting if they tied back to that somehow. And, it could be yet another reason why Rowena was so hell-bent on killing Dean, if he killed her once demon lover and all.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

Well, Rowena doesn't have to be a contemporary of Ruby, the demon could've been working witches separately. But, if Crowley is the son of a 17th century tailor, it does set Rowena firmly in the 1600s.

However, I wasn't thinking that Rowena actually knew Ruby necessarily, but the demon who turned Ruby maybe was the origin to the Grand Coven and at one time got Ruby to serve her and also at one time was Rowena's lover, which could've been separate times. Was later exorcised and stuck in Hell at the time the Hell's Gate was opened in S2.

Like I said, I doubt this is where the show is going or that the show even remembers this, but I was just thinking it could be interesting if they tied back to that somehow. And, it could be yet another reason why Rowena was so hell-bent on killing Dean, if he killed her once demon lover and all.

If they did tie Rowena to the past history it would be interesting.  Of course that means they actually had a clear plan for her character to begin with.  Just read an article and I don't remember where of course, that they only planned to use her for a few eps, but because the fans liked her they added more.  Might be why it felt off, then once they got a solid idea it started working better.

I just wonder how much Carver watches the history of the show.  I know they give dvds to the guest stars but does Carver watch any of the past to help guide his own ideas?

So her demon lover was Azazel?  ;-)

No, I was saying her demon lover was the demon Dean killed in Malleus Maleficarum (that's who Ruby was turned out by)...but Yellow Eyes could be another interesting possibility; different, but interesting.

My guess is they'll have Rowena and Crowley be related to the Winchesters. They're Scots and Campbell (Moishe notwithstanding) is a Scots surname.

I would be frakking livid if they pull that shit. Especially since it would be from Mary's side of the family and people already hate Mary for making the deal that got her killed and Sam tainted with demon blood. Not only that then it just means Sam and Dean WERE really born bad all along. l also don't see how Dean could be Michaels Chosen Vessel if he was born of evil. It means Sam was really tainted since birth and not because Azazel bled in his mouth.

• Love 1

Well, they could be something like first cousins...

(let me think here)

(average of four generations a century)*(4 centuries) = 16

...sixteen times removed.

You can thin out an evil bloodline to almost homeopathic amounts in that amount of time. ;-)

Heck, they could be great*16 grandparents, and you're still looking at pretty tiny amounts of evilness. ;-)

I am saying that both Dean and Sam would be from an evil bloodline if they make Rowena and Crowley blood relatives.

That's only if you consider Crowley evil because his mother was. Personally, I find Crowley's an asshole because he chooses to be an asshole...same with Rowena.

• Love 1

I know this isn't the correct thread, but this was brought up here, and I'm confused. I need help from the hardcore fans posting here.

The rings. They must have power, right? Yet Death gave his freely to Dean to lock up Lucifer. Did death still have his power while Dean had his ring? Did the other Horsemen retain their power without their rings? It looked like The Boys getting the other rings destroyed their respective Horsemen, but did it really? It seemed that Death was still had his power without his ring. Add to that, when Dean took over Death's role for a day, he needed Death's ring to carry out Death's work. (Don't even talk to me about Reapers! The writers screwed that canon dry.) If that's true, how did Death get his ring back? What of the other Horsemen? I thought all the rings were in Hell as a lock on the cage. Can you guys help me out here? Please?

Death can't be killed can he? He even said he would reap God one day. How do you kill something like that?

I think I need help...I'm obsessing over this damn show!

• Love 1

Death can't be killed can he? He even said he would reap God one day. How do you kill something like that?

I agree, I don't get how Death itself can be made even more dead somehow. You can't kill a death thing. How can you kill death? Wouldn't "killing" death mean making something alive again?

• Love 1

I agree, I don't get how Death itself can be made even more dead somehow. You can't kill a death thing. How can you kill death? Wouldn't "killing" death mean making something alive again?

Okay rue, now you're just trying to drive me mad!

It's working.

(edited)

I think they forgot that Death is a force of nature, not a skinny guy with an accent.

The other horsemen either disappeared or sort of lost their power when the Winchesters took their ring. So, by that logic, Death should have become powerless too. Apparently, not so much. I'm fairly certain, they did not think this through.

As far as I remember, the rings landed in the cage as some sort of key. So, no one has their ring back unless I forgot something.

ETA: Didn't Death give Dean the ring when he took the day off in season 6? So, where did he get it?

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 1
(edited)

I know this isn't the correct thread, but this was brought up here, and I'm confused. I need help from the hardcore fans posting here.

The rings. They must have power, right? Yet Death gave his freely to Dean to lock up Lucifer. Did death still have his power while Dean had his ring? Did the other Horsemen retain their power without their rings? It looked like The Boys getting the other rings destroyed their respective Horsemen, but did it really? It seemed that Death was still had his power without his ring. Add to that, when Dean took over Death's role for a day, he needed Death's ring to carry out Death's work. (Don't even talk to me about Reapers! The writers screwed that canon dry.) If that's true, how did Death get his ring back? What of the other Horsemen? I thought all the rings were in Hell as a lock on the cage. Can you guys help me out here? Please?

I think I need help...I'm obsessing over this damn show!

Stupid show...

The rings: They cut off War's finger to get his ring, War was supposedly powerless--but humans were still fighting wars without War. With Famine, Sam apparently killed him with his mind foo, but again, I believe there was still hunger in the world. Pestilence, Cass cut off his finger for that one, but it seemed people still got ill. Death freely gave them his ring, but people still died. They used the rings to open the portal to the cage, but they were on the ground and Dean picked them up after the portal closed. In S6, Death's ring was buried at Bobby's house when Dean retrieved it so he could put it on and be Death for the day. As far as I know the rings were never in Hell.

So, in short, the rings don't really make any sense. Apparently the rings made the horsemen powerful, but without the rings nothing really changed in our world. Again, stupid show!

Yeah, and you can apparently kill things that are already dead in Purgatory, too. Stupid, stupid show. ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

Stupid show...

The rings: They cut off War's finger to get his ring, War was supposedly powerless--but humans were still fighting wars without War. With Famine, Sam apparently killed him with his mind foo, but again, I believe there was still hunger in the world. Pestilence, Cass cut off his finger for that one, but it seemed people still got ill. Death freely gave them his ring, but people still died. They used the rings to open the portal to the cage, but they were on the ground and Dean picked them up after the portal closed. In S6, Death's ring was buried at Bobby's house when Dean retrieved it so he could put it on and be Death for the day. As far as I know the rings were never in Hell.

So, in short, the rings don't really make any sense. Apparently the rings made the horsemen powerful, but without the rings nothing really changed in our world. Again, stupid show!

Yeah, and you can apparently kill things that are already dead in Purgatory, too. Stupid, stupid show. ;)

Good God Dot, I swear to God if I met you in real life, I don't know if I would kill you or hug you! Purgatory. Shit. Might as well bring up the Grand Canyon too.

I've been reading Fanfic from the posters here. All of you should quit you jobs and get out to Vancouver and start writing this show. 

Give me something, anything to understand the Rings!

Every thread on this show is turning into a bitterness thread. Ours should be called, "All the Writers Suck!"

The Bitterness thread is Mick's favorite! The only problem is he gets so damn mad reading it, then he spends the next couple hours asking why we still watch the show. I wish you guys didn't constantly remind him of the inconsistencies in this show, his blood pressure is high enough!

We admit our addiction, and don't want help. Just Carver's head. On a stick.

Okay, bizzaro theory on the horsemen and the rings from me.

1. Death isn't really on the same level as the other horsemen.  Death and God are about equivalent and neither one remembers who came first.  War needs sentient beings (man, angels or monsters) to exist.  Hunger can exist in animals, but famine as envisioned by the show, needs something that can hunger for more than just food. Pestilence can exist within animal populations, but it achieves a certain velocity when carried by sentient beings who have a *much* wider reach. Death, on the other hand, comes equally to all beings (Winchesters and certain angels not withstanding :D)

2. The rings don't give the horsemen these aspects, instead they allow the horsemen to control them.  That is, decide when, where and how awful a given war, famine or disease would be. Without the horsemen and their rings, things drop back to a "normal" level.

3.  Death wanted the ring off, so he wasn't forced to personally involve himself in death.  It becomes automatic/random.

And for the really bizzaro thought.

4.  Death's ring actually ropes him into the mythology/theology of the Judea/Christan tradition (as presented in this universe) and helps explain why he would want it off.  It also tends to explain why Death is so pissy all the time, he's been forced into a job he doesn't want ;D

I swear this all makes sense in my head. Not sure it works so well in the outside world.

• Love 4

Okay, bizzaro theory on the horsemen and the rings from me.

1. Death isn't really on the same level as the other horsemen.  Death and God are about equivalent and neither one remembers who came first.  War needs sentient beings (man, angels or monsters) to exist.  Hunger can exist in animals, but famine as envisioned by the show, needs something that can hunger for more than just food. Pestilence can exist within animal populations, but it achieves a certain velocity when carried by sentient beings who have a *much* wider reach. Death, on the other hand, comes equally to all beings (Winchesters and certain angels not withstanding :D)

2. The rings don't give the horsemen these aspects, instead they allow the horsemen to control them.  That is, decide when, where and how awful a given war, famine or disease would be. Without the horsemen and their rings, things drop back to a "normal" level.

3.  Death wanted the ring off, so he wasn't forced to personally involve himself in death.  It becomes automatic/random.

And for the really bizzaro thought.

4.  Death's ring actually ropes him into the mythology/theology of the Judea/Christan tradition (as presented in this universe) and helps explain why he would want it off.  It also tends to explain why Death is so pissy all the time, he's been forced into a job he doesn't want ;D

I swear this all makes sense in my head. Not sure it works so well in the outside world.

Bravo Altered Reality!  I love this explanation.  I think there is a lot to it.

I rewatched Brother's Keeper scenes with Death again and I couldn't see if he's wearing the ring.  *steps into Oliver Stone conspiracy theory shoes*  In fact, Julian Richings make a point of NEVER using his left hand.  He reaches across his body with his right hand to drink the Sangria and eat the food.  It could be innocent but I swear, every possible shot where the ring would be evident, he's got his right hand OVER his left.  Also there was no "tinkling" sound as his body crumbled.  This could all mean zippy-de-do-dah, but if Dean became Death while putting on the ring, then if the ring is still in play... either that wasn't Death or someone else can take Death's spot.

I think they forgot that Death is a force of nature, not a skinny guy with an accent.

The other horsemen either disappeared or sort of lost their power when the Winchesters took their ring. So, by that logic, Death should have become powerless too. Apparently, not so much. I'm fairly certain, they did not think this through.

Again.  *sigh*

Good God Dot, I swear to God if I met you in real life, I don't know if I would kill you or hug you! Purgatory. Shit. Might as well bring up the Grand Canyon too.

[...]

Every thread on this show is turning into a bitterness thread. Ours should be called, "All the Writers Suck!"

Nah, I mostly jest. I mean, the show rarely makes sense, but it is a silly show about two brothers who hunt down and kill our worst nightmares. Should it really make sense? I can generally find a way around the plotting, if I try. Characterizations and motivations are the only things that really get me peeved.

• Love 3

I rewatched Brother's Keeper scenes with Death again and I couldn't see if he's wearing the ring.  *steps into Oliver Stone conspiracy theory shoes*  In fact, Julian Richings make a point of NEVER using his left hand.  He reaches across his body with his right hand to drink the Sangria and eat the food.  It could be innocent but I swear, every possible shot where the ring would be evident, he's got his right hand OVER his left.  Also there was no "tinkling" sound as his body crumbled.  This could all mean zippy-de-do-dah, but if Dean became Death while putting on the ring, then if the ring is still in play... either that wasn't Death or someone else can take Death's spot.

Now that's interesting!  Hmmm, so many questions now.

Ok, my thinking goes more along the following lines.

if God and Death are on equal footing (I always thought so in the context of the show), they are kind of two sides of the same coin. God is the bringer of life and Death takes it away and there is some sort of equilibrium. Nothing exists without the other. For life to exist, there must be death. So, both exist because of the other.

The other horsemen exist because this dichotomy exists, more like a consequence of it.

The "Darkness" is what became before, something like complete nothingness where that dichotomy doesn't exist. Of course, they can't pull this off, otherwise, with that cloud, it should swallow everything, that includes our dear Winchesters and the show would be over.

I like my interpretation but I think the writers just go: Black cloud = bad.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, it is BLACK! EEK! ;)

Seriously though, I like your thinkin' supposedly.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

Ok, my thinking goes more along the following lines.

if God and Death are on equal footing (I always thought so in the context of the show), they are kind of two sides of the same coin. God is the bringer of life and Death takes it away and there is some sort of equilibrium. Nothing exists without the other. For life to exist, there must be death. So, both exist because of the other.

The other horsemen exist because this dichotomy exists, more like a consequence of it.

The "Darkness" is what became before, something like complete nothingness where that dichotomy doesn't exist. Of course, they can't pull this off, otherwise, with that cloud, it should swallow everything, that includes our dear Winchesters and the show would be over.

IA with your interpretation and it could be interesting because no way can the show put on a big war.  However, I'm not sure they even have a game plan yet.  Unless they are now meeting to go. hey we did the cloud thing now what. 

Which is why I was so mad at this year's oh no cliffhanger.  The interviews coming out that said he we turned Dean into a Demon, now what???  It pissed me off.  Because I didn't feel they really had a plan and so we got the mess we got.

I wondered if it will just be shown as it effects everyone in a negative way.  Because they aren't ending the show yet, and my crazy idea, is that the Winchester's are in the same car and think the other is missing and they are in despair, etc and go off to find each other but can't see they are right next to each other.  Then somehow they unite again after 3 or so eps and start trying to fight the big bad together.  Whatever that is.  I pick the number 3 for that seems to be the max they are comfortable with showing the boys apart. 

Of course I could do without the blame game and secret, I've got a secret stuff since it lost its meaning in oh season 4.

Have I mentioned that the season finale reminds me so much of the season finale of Haven from a few months ago?  Audrey's back, everyone heaves a sigh of relief, then BOOM!  Duke explodes and everyone is infected with a Trouble.

Which, of course, reminded me of the Leviathan, but anyway....

• Love 3

Yeah Demented Daisy, I'm never going to forgive Haven. I really expected more.

Back on topic. I was arguing with Mick about the Horsemen and the rings and he said (which is why I'm looking into divorce) "How was Death able to get into the cage and get Sammy's soul back? Did he just sail by Lucifer and Michael with a Fuck You? Is that how he originally got his ring back?"

Okay Altered Reality, have at it.

The rest of you guys? I'm buyin'. With Mick's money. I have a feeling catrox14 will bankrupt him.

(edited)

I was arguing with Mick about the Horsemen and the rings and he said (which is why I'm looking into divorce) "How was Death able to get into the cage and get Sammy's soul back? Did he just sail by Lucifer and Michael with a Fuck You? Is that how he originally got his ring back?"

Dean gave Death his ring back in Appointment in Samarra. And yes, apparently Death could walk right into the cage past Michael and Lucifer...he's just that swell. But yet not smart enough to stand a healthy distance from Dean Winchester when he's holding the one thing in the universe that can kill him. Sigh.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 4

See Mick has a great question.  

I was just rewatching that episode and I don't think it was ever explained other than Death because Death can get into the cage because Death is as powerful as God , I suppose, which does match with his claims he can reap God. 

Now maybe he worked a deal with Lucifer to get Sam's soul but I think he just took it because he was sick of the Winchesters being an affront to the natural order and he was trying to get Dean to pay attention to the souls being bartered.  But the logistics of how he could do it I don't think were ever explained. I don't think his ring was a factor in getting Sam's soul out of the cage. 

But the last I knew Death had his ring because Dean gave it back to him.

• Love 1

Sigh. Okay Dot and catrox, now we'll have to dig out Appointment in Sumatra and watch it again. And yes, we have all the DVDs!

The book is about death, right? I'm too confused tonight to find it on our collection. I think I read about 20 years ago!

But honestly, what other show could do this to their fans? This is why Supernatural has kept our attention all these years, despite all its flaws.  Supernatural still makes us think. And argue. And lose sleep.

If I were Death, I would have taken Sam's soul out of the cage and put it back in his body, too. Because Death can't have empty undead bodies just wondering around on earth. How could Sam ever be reaped properly if his body is undead and his soul is already in Hell? Better to just stick his soul back in his body so that he can die and get reaped and leave just a dead corpse behind, like everybody else.

Death could have come through the cage like a cool breeze or maybe something even less tangible than that, though. He's not actually a person, he just looks like a person to other people. Maybe Death takes on the likeness of whatever sort of being he's going to reap. Or maybe it's an inverse version of God making man in his image -- maybe Death made himself in man's image. Who knows.

I'm still hoping that Death's crumbling into ashes isn't real but an illusion.  Hoping that Dean would turn on Sam and gosh golly, instead he kills Death.  Like they kept bringing back the Trickster, until they didn't, they could do the same with Death. 

Now what will they do???  my guess something that looks cool but turns stupid.

Yes, that is why you can still watch this show, because there is so much potential and much to discuss.  Of course it doesn't hurt that Jensen has gotten hotter as he's aged.  :)

• Love 2
(edited)

Sigh. Okay Dot and catrox, now we'll have to dig out Appointment in Sumatra and watch it again. And yes, we have all the DVDs!

Mick Lady, here's a quick rundown of the episodes the rings were featured in:

• Good God Y'all--They cut off War's finger for his.
  • My Bloody Valentine--They exploded Famine for his.
  • Hammer of the Gods--Gabriel told them the rings were the key to the cage.
  • Two Minutes to Midnight--They cut off Pestilence's finger for his and Death loaned them his.
  • Swan Song--They used them to open the portal to the cage. Then the portal closed, they were on the ground and Dean picked them up.
  • Appointment in Samarra--Dean retrieves Death's ring at Bobby's house, wears it for a day and then returns it to Death.

I don't think the ring is why Death could stroll into the cage, I think he's just that powerful. It does seem rather silly that Death is that powerful, but could so easily be bound by both Lucifer and later the Winchesters. I think of Death as a counterpoint to God, though.

Ooh, ooh, ooh...does that mean if Death can be bound then God can as well?

Anyway, I don't know where the other rings are at this point. I would hope they didn't have them all hidden together since any demon could find and use them to open the cage again. They could do a fun scavenger-hunt episode around this. Ooh, ooh, ooh...that musical scavenger hunt episode I was saying could be fun about a year ago, that's how they could do it. The clues would be hidden in some of Dean's favorite songs and they'd have to crisscross the country to retrieve them.

ETA: Here's a link to the superwiki.com page about the Horsemen's rings: http://www.supernaturalwiki.com/index.php?title=Horsemen%27s_Rings. Be forewarned, that place can be a sink-hole. ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

I'm more bothered by Death's scythe being that overly large one that was not Death's original smaller scythe. It's my only hope for why that might not be actual!Death. I could totally see Metatron messing up that moment because he might have forgotten the scythe was small OR because Metatron wanted a big scythe because Metatron is a dickwad and would probably think the bigger the scythe the better. Continuity fail like the rip in Cas' coat in Meta Fiction.

I'm still trying to figure out if Dean killing Death was a plan he had from the moment he found out about the Darkness or if he just changed his mind because Sammy showed him Mary's picture. Or if he was guided by another force at the last moment. Right now I'm leaning towards guided by another force, which means I'm probably wrong,