Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers With Speculation

SueB
Message added by ohjoy

Please keep your speculation and comments on the end of Supernatural in the Supernatural Ending topic. Use this topic here or the Bitter Speculation topic for discussion of the upcoming season only. As always, keep Bitch vs. Jerk discussion in its own topic.

Thank you.

• Start Topic

At this point the best shot would be fresh blood, someone who has never before worked on this show. Can it be worse than say Bucklemming? 

On accounts of the atrocious grief councellor episode this year (and the other wasn`t really all that good either), I, too, wouldn`t vote for Glynn.  

So it's Donatello that's working against them, yes?

I believe so. It entirely fits with the way the CW synopsis try to be coy with something.

At this point, we have so many villains (and potential villains) plus their henchmen this Season, they should do a gigantic cage match with them and see who remains standing. I mean, Lucifer, Asmodeus, possibly powered-up Rowena, evil!Michael, Ketch, now Sister Jo, it`s time to thin the herd some.

Right now, if Lucifer went up against AU!Michael, who is more evil and more of a threat? Besides, what are the Winchesters going to do, just continue to stumble along through the various villain`s personal journeys, gape and be thrown into walls?    

• Love 2

I'd say Steve Yockey would be the best option! Aside from the god awful Advanced Thantology I've enjoyed his scripts so far.

On a less personal to me note, as far as I've seen most of the fandom seem to like him? I haven't seen many complaints about him from Sam, Dean or Cas centric fans? 

I didn`t care for his latest script. Meh. But then, I enjoyed Advanced Thanatology, probably the strongest ep this Season so far in my book.

That said, I agree. I think he tries to make his episodes balanced enough that usually fans of all characters either get something to like for their fave or at the very least nothing to loathe. But he probably lacks the overall experience for such a position.  

46 minutes ago, bozodegama said:

As for showrunner, what about Meredith GLynn?  Her episodes are pretty good.  But i have no idea how that works/

IMO, showrunning and writing are two distinctly different skills. There's so much more to showrunning than simply writing a couple episodes per season. IMO, none of the current staff outside of Berens--which I'm not convinced he has the skill set to keep all the balls in the air either--are too green--not just on the show, but in the business in general--or Buckner/Leming-Ross. And, heaven help us all if they become showrunners.

ETA: I personally don't think you can adequately judge a showrunner by the scripts he writes. Generally, those are edited and modified and the finished product may bare little resemblance to what the writer intended. And, showrunning is more about management than writing, IMO. It's been a long while since I've felt like they had a writer on staff who can do the management part of the job. As much as I loved Edlund as a writer, I was strongly against him being showrunner. I really couldn't see him managing a staff of folks very well.

Edited by DittyDotDot
54 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Ugh, dear god no! She'd make it the Dean only show with her clear fangirling of Jensen and Dean ugh 

Heheh, I wish. Maybe her first script, but she drank the Dabb/Singer koolaid pretty quick and fell in line.

All three of the new writers, Yockey, Glynn and Perez, have producer credits. Is that normal? I have no idea - I couldn't name a producer on any other show, ever. Of the three of them, Yockey generally makes me cringe the least, but I would hate to see any of them given showrunner status. Then again, they probably wouldn't be worse for the Winchesters than Dabb.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

I didn`t care for his latest script. Meh. But then, I enjoyed Advanced Thanatology, probably the strongest ep this Season so far in my book.

My Cas orientated fan bias is showing since I primarily loved the fact that we got to see Cas be treated as a smart and competent character. He was easily the best he's been since Dabb took over back in season eleven. There were some mehness to the brothers storyline that episode, but the presence of Rowena (another character I've grown fond of) and a lack of anything truly insulting meant my happiness about a good Cas ep wasn't diminished :) 

21 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

All three of the new writers, Yockey, Glynn and Perez, have producer credits. Is that normal? I have no idea - I couldn't name a producer on any other show, ever.

Depends on the show. All the main episode writers on this show generally are given producer credits, but back in the day that wasn't the case. Gamble started out as a story editor and was elevated to Producer in, I think S3, and Executive Producer in S4. 

I only think it's weird because they all three had co-producer credits from the get go and none of them had much experience in the industry previously.

• Meredith Glynn had short stints on two previous shows as a story editor and had "written by" credits for a total of five television episodes previous to her being hired by Supernatural.
  • Steve Yockey wrote a couple episodes for Scream and one episode for Awkward.
  • Davy Perez was a staff writer for American Crime before Supernatural.

TBH, I couldn't tell you which episodes any of them wrote. None of them have stood out to me as any different than any other writer on the show other than the Horrible Duo and Berens. Nothing about their scripts seem to have a spark that's uniquely theirs, and, if I'm honest, I haven't been impressed with any of them overall--although, I'm sure they all have their moments.

Edited by DittyDotDot
21 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Heheh, I wish. Maybe her first script, but she drank the Dabb/Singer koolaid pretty quick and fell in line.

All three of the new writers, Yockey, Glynn and Perez, have producer credits. Is that normal? I have no idea - I couldn't name a producer on any other show, ever. Of the three of them, Yockey generally makes me cringe the least, but I would hate to see any of them given showrunner status. Then again, they probably wouldn't be worse for the Winchesters than Dabb.

All writers have had producer credits AFAIR. I know they did under Carver and maybe even under Gamble. Some are story editors before they become official writers. I remember Carmelo and Nicole Snyder had producer credits and they didn't write many episodes.

It's been that way from s1 I think.

Edited by catrox14

I

1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

I'd say Steve Yockey would be the best option! Aside from the god awful Advanced Thantology I've enjoyed his scripts so far.

On a less personal to me note, as far as I've seen most of the fandom seem to like him? I haven't seen many complaints about him from Sam, Dean or Cas centric fans? 

I think Yockey has written the characters the best...well until his most recent episode. I feel like someone got to him. LOL

He does have a little problem with plot holes at times but certainly no worse than Buck Lemming and their rift size plot holes and LOL canon destruction and lack of decent characterization.

Speaking of plot holes.  Didn't Billie roundly warn Dean about ripping holes in the universe?  Is that ever going to be addressed again? She was pretty specific that he wasn't supposed to do that. We don't need big dumb Winchesters breaking the universe or something to that effect.

1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

All writers have had producer credits AFAIR.

No, that's incorrect. Most the writers worked their way up to Producers in the early years. In fact, I think the only writers who were Producers in S1 were Kripke and John Shiban. Gamble, Raelle Tucker and Cathryn Humphris were not credited as producers in S1. Raelle Tucker left the show in S2 and Gamble was elevated to Producer in S3. But, Cathryn Humphris was never given a producer credit on the show in four seasons.

Of some of the writers that joined later: Robbie Thompson was just hired as a writer in S7 and given a co-producer credit in S8. And, Jenny Klein worked on the show from S3 to S8 and never once had a Producer credit--I think she was credited as a writer's assistant if it wasn't an episode she wrote. And, funny enough, both Lofflin and Dabb were hired in S4, but were not elevated to Producers until S7. 

It seems to me the elevation of writers to Producers may have happened either in S7--I firmly believe they thought it would be the last season and probably were trying to help out their writer's resumes--or with Carver taking over in S8. Since then, all the writers except Jenny Klein have had some sort of Producer credit.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

No, that's incorrect

Actually, you must have missed my edit. I corrected myself I guess between you writing your post and my comment.

Also, about s1 I said "I think" which meant I wasn't exactly sure. But thanks for the enlightenment anyway.

20 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

All writers have had producer credits AFAIR. I know they did under Carver and maybe even under Gamble. Some are story editors before they become official writers. I remember Carmelo and Nicole Snyder had producer credits and they didn't write many episodes.

This is my modified comment that you missed.

Edited by catrox14
2 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Ugh, dear god no! She'd make it the Dean only show with her clear fangirling of Jensen and Dean ugh 

Uh, why would that be a bad thing???  The show could use a lot more Dean right  now.  Or at least a Dean that’s not sleeping on the job.   The shows always been it’s best when it showcased Dean imo.  I love Sam and Cass but i love And identify with Dean the most.  

• Love 6
1 minute ago, bozodegama said:

Uh, why would that be a bad thing???  The show could use a lot more Dean right  now.  Or at least a Dean that’s not sleeping on the job.   The shows always been it’s best when it showcased Dean imo.  I love Sam and Cass but i love And identify with Dean the most.  

Well it would be a bad thing for me since Dean is my least favourite of TFW ;). And personally I prefer it when things are balanced between the brothers and the secondary characters are also given decent moments to shine. So I'd have no interest in the Dean Winchester does everything while Sam sits and looks pretty and Misha/Cas is fired show under Glynn.

1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

TBH, I couldn't tell you which episodes any of them wrote. None of them have stood out to me as any different than any other writer on the show other than the Horrible Duo and Berens. Nothing about their scripts seem to have a spark that's uniquely theirs, and, if I'm honest, I haven't been impressed with any of them overall--although, I'm sure they all have their moments.

I think Yockey has an enjoyable take on Cas where we often get to see the characters increasingly sarcastic edge and he's allowed a degree of competency that's been solely missing under the Dabb Administration. I'd love for Dabb to just assign him to all Cas related scenes. BuckLemming, Dabb, Berens Perez and Glynn can have Sam and Dean then LOL

2 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Well it would be a bad thing for me since Dean is my least favourite of TFW ;). And personally I prefer it when things are balanced between the brothers and the secondary characters are also given decent moments to shine. So I'd have no interest in the Dean Winchester does everything while Sam sits and looks pretty and Misha/Cas is fired show under Glynn.

I like all three guys, just like Dean the most.  I wouldn’t be happy if it was just about Dean.  It only works if the three guys plag off each other.  Either way, the writingisn’t working this season. The brothers have been portrayed as foolish and Sam’s depression is just a real downer.  That and there’s just too many freaking extra characters so Sam, Dean and Cass have such limited screen time.  But the ratings are good so i guess nothing will change. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I think you like anyone more than Dean LOLOL. Just curious, would you be happy if the show killed off Dean? Not picking on you. I don't mean do you think the show would survive without Dean but whether you personally would be happy for Dean to be gone?

This past episode notwithstanding, I actually think the amount of Sam and Dean has been decent this year...much better than last.  There are going to be at least a couple "light" brother episodes, and I would put last night's in that category.  But the bigger issue to me is the number of miscellaneous characters.  Again, if you need to give Jensen and Jared some time off, then write some compelling stories about some of the secondary characters.  

I've actually rather enjoyed the Cas/Lucifer dynamic this season.  I'm all for seeing Lucifer with very little power and seeing Cas as this no bullshit version we're getting now.  It's refreshing.  I know they're not going to kill Lucifer outright, so I don't let myself get frustrated over why they don't just kill him while he's weak.  It ain't gonna happen.  They've been playing up the "Heaven is dying" storyline the last few episodes, so there has to be an end game where either Lucifer or Jack (or I guess maybe Gabriel) stays in Heaven to fix things.  If their plan is some long game redemption for Lucifer, it's bound to include his son, Jack.  If anything could make Lucifer understand his father better, and see the error of his ways, it would be his own relationship with his son.  I'm not championing this idea, but if they're keeping Lucifer around, they need to do something different with him.  His whiny, bullying toddler routine is well past it's expiration date.

They have 10 episodes left to wrap all of this up in some way that makes at least a little sense.  Depending on the storyline for the Scooby episode, they may only have 9.  I'm really not interested in a repeat of last season where everyone dies in the last two episodes.  That was dumb last year and would be even worse if they did it again this year.  So they have to start dispensing with some of these evil side characters, or bring them all back next year, which I really don't want, either.  Asmodeus needs to go, and so does Ketch.  I can see the Michael story carrying over to next season.  They have to rescue Mary, or have some emotional, final death scene for her if she's not going to make it back.  And then there's Jack.  He was the whole story at the beginning of the season and now, nothing.  I wish I had confidence in Dabb and Co. to think they could sew this all up into some cohesive story, but I can't say that I do.

• Love 2

So what do we think is up with Gabriel?  Someone pointed out he was dressed in medieval garb in the Hell prison.  A clue?  Is it Gabriel grabbed in the past?  Is it AU Gabriel(though how would Asomodeus or even Crowley get someone from an AU?)?   Or our own Gabriel that Asomodeus decided to imprison in medieval clothes(How did he survive Lucifer?)?  I'm hoping it's the Gabriel that has history with all our guys.  I'll guess that for now.

Edited by Jakes
  • Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:05 PM, MysteryGuest said:

This past episode notwithstanding, I actually think the amount of Sam and Dean has been decent this year...much better than last.  There are going to be at least a couple "light" brother episodes, and I would put last night's in that category.  But the bigger issue to me is the number of miscellaneous characters.  Again, if you need to give Jensen and Jared some time off, then write some compelling stories about some of the secondary characters.  

I've actually rather enjoyed the Cas/Lucifer dynamic this season.  I'm all for seeing Lucifer with very little power and seeing Cas as this no bullshit version we're getting now.  It's refreshing.  I know they're not going to kill Lucifer outright, so I don't let myself get frustrated over why they don't just kill him while he's weak.  It ain't gonna happen.  They've been playing up the "Heaven is dying" storyline the last few episodes, so there has to be an end game where either Lucifer or Jack (or I guess maybe Gabriel) stays in Heaven to fix things.  If their plan is some long game redemption for Lucifer, it's bound to include his son, Jack.  If anything could make Lucifer understand his father better, and see the error of his ways, it would be his own relationship with his son.  I'm not championing this idea, but if they're keeping Lucifer around, they need to do something different with him.  His whiny, bullying toddler routine is well past it's expiration date.

They have 10 episodes left to wrap all of this up in some way that makes at least a little sense.  Depending on the storyline for the Scooby episode, they may only have 9.  I'm really not interested in a repeat of last season where everyone dies in the last two episodes.  That was dumb last year and would be even worse if they did it again this year.  So they have to start dispensing with some of these evil side characters, or bring them all back next year, which I really don't want, either.  Asmodeus needs to go, and so does Ketch.  I can see the Michael story carrying over to next season.  They have to rescue Mary, or have some emotional, final death scene for her if she's not going to make it back.  And then there's Jack.  He was the whole story at the beginning of the season and now, nothing.  I wish I had confidence in Dabb and Co. to think they could sew this all up into some cohesive story, but I can't say that I do.

Don't see them redeeming Lucifer at all--the episode where Sam and Rowena talking about his true face and Lucifer talking about hating his human-like experience show me they are saying Lucifer is not redeemable.  What am guessing is Lucifer will influence Jack for a while then when Lucifer tries to kill TFW, Jack jumps in and saves them--and staying on the good side.

About the new writers I do like Yockey and Perez.

Edited by Jakes
  • Love 1

I think they may keep Asmodeus alive and kill Michael.  Then the last episode will be Asmodeus letting The Shadim out and next season will be hunting them.  Just a guess.  I mean, there's no reason to mention the horrible Shadim unless they plan to use them.  But who knows?

10 minutes ago, bozodegama said:

I think they may keep Asmodeus alive and kill Michael.  Then the last episode will be Asmodeus letting The Shadim out and next season will be hunting them.  Just a guess.  I mean, there's no reason to mention the horrible Shadim unless they plan to use them.  But who knows?

You would think. But with show...it might take 5 years for it to happen

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jakes said:

About the new writers I do like Yockey and Perez.

New writers in order of preference....

Yockey

Glynn

Almost anyone else

<<< 73 football fields >>>

Perez

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 1

Now Berens has always been overrated imo--always too sensitive, proper and on the PC side for SPN.  SPN is more rough and tumble.  Beren is decent but he's missing pizzaz.

Edited by Jakes
7 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

I think the script cover pages of Various Villains and Breakdown were mixed up

LOL Right?

6 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I’d have to disagree because the rare appearance of competent Cas is definitely Yockey’s! 

Cas wasn't incompetent in Tombstone. Didn't you say that Yockey treated Cas like crap in Advanced Thanatology even though he wasn't in it but the last couple of minutes.

5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Cas wasn't incompetent in Tombstone. Didn't you say that Yockey treated Cas like crap in Advanced Thanatology even though he wasn't in it but the last couple of minutes.

He wasn’t incompetent but he also wasn’t competent. Yockey also wrote Cas well in Lily Sunder so I’m gonna just put my Cas issues with AT down to Glynn and Dabb :)

moved to b v j

29 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

He wasn’t incompetent but he also wasn’t competent. Yockey also wrote Cas well in Lily Sunder so I’m gonna just put my Cas issues with AT down to Glynn and Dabb :)

Edited by catrox14

So do we know about when they film the season finales? Just wondered since we don't have an official renewal. I imagine they are writing the end of the season now and if they are in a bind or writing multiple ways in case. Or maybe they all know already and just aren't sharing. 

48 minutes ago, scribe95 said:

So do we know about when they film the season finales? Just wondered since we don't have an official renewal. I imagine they are writing the end of the season now and if they are in a bind or writing multiple ways in case. Or maybe they all know already and just aren't sharing. 

I think they usually film the finales in April just not sure exactly when in April. So yeah they are probably getting ready to write the finales right about now or at least in March at the latest.

47 minutes ago, scribe95 said:

I think they finish filming mid-to-late April? Two years ago we found out right before VegasCon (which is next weekend). I speculated earlier that if we don't hear before the Paleyfest in March it means they have an announcement coming with it. Someone else mentioned them waiting for Up Fronts for any announcements.

. Cas and Dean are doing battle in what appears to be another universe so what the heck? is this NotPurgatory 2.0 cause if it is I won't be upset. Can I have Benny back please? Can he join TFW?I almost don't buy that Donatello is the mole. I mean not on purpose. I bet there is another one. Who is the random white dude in battle clothing? is he an  AW soldier? is he in that  battle Dean and Cas have in not Purgatory?

SN1314b_0249b2.jpg

SN1314a_0019b.jpgSN1314c_0188b.jpg

SN1314a_0007b.jpg

I am cautiously looking forward to 13.14.

• Love 1

I had trouble with the link.  Here's another try TV Addict

1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

. Cas and Dean are doing battle in what appears to be another universe so what the heck? is this NotPurgatory 2.0 cause if it is I won't be upset. Can I have Benny back please? Can he join TFW?I almost don't buy that Donatello is the mole. I mean not on purpose. I bet there is another one. Who is the random white dude in battle clothing? is he an  AW soldier? is he in that  battle Dean and Cas have in not Purgatory?

Or.... a couple of denizens of AU world come back with Jack?

Bits we definitly see:
- They clearly know Donnatello is compromised and he's the "traitor", but since he's not dead, I hope they figure out it was Asmodeus doing a mind-whammy.
- Mary putting her hand on Jack's back!  *sigh* it feels motherly to me.  And I know many will spit nails over Mary being motherly for Jack, but once Dean declared him family, I'm totally on board with that.  Did I mention how excited I am that our beloved cinnamon roll is back?!
- Bobby, Mary & Jack in the AU.  I'm glad it's finally happened.  I hope they give Bobby something meaty.
- We see Jack and Cas at the rift point.   I'm worried Jack makes it back but Mary does not.
- The voice over about Jack being able to make a rift big enough for an Army is what makes me think we have a couple of nasties come over
- For a brief moment I thought SWAT-Angel with the mustasche was Balthazar, but I don't think so. How I wish it was.
- Seems like a battle in AU world.  Maybe that's how Bobby meets up w/ Mary & Jack

I need the show back on! 

• Love 2

Count me as one who is gonna spit nails over her being motherly to Jack. I don't care  if Dean accepts him as family, she treated Dean and Sam like garbage for months. Mary is so not off the hook with me.

6 minutes ago, SueB said:

- For a brief moment I thought SWAT-Angel with the mustasche was Balthazar, but I don't think so. How I wish it was.

Is that white dude in soldier garb? I have a feeling he's someone important in lore. Why give him that battle stance and focus if he's not? Im calling it now. Alternate universe Crowley.

• Love 5
Just now, catrox14 said:

Count me as one who is gonna spit nails over her being motherly to Jack. I don't care  if Dean accepts him as family, she treated Dean and Sam like garbage for months. Mary is so not off the hook with me.

Add me to the nail spitting list.  Mary acts like she can't be bothered to give her own sons the time of day.  Watching her be motherly toward Jack isn't going to go over well. 

I think SwatAngel is the AU Zachariah. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I will be 100% fine if she dies in the AU. In battle, in sacrificing herself, from an infected hangnail, IDK, just so long as she goes back to her perfect little heaven.

• Love 6
Just now, ILoveReading said:

I think SwatAngel is the AU Zachariah. 

Ohhhh this is a good bet. I change my vote to this. Good  call. He better be as shitty ND awful as Our Zachariah.. Please. I would love for ther to be a Rift between him and Michael and it's confirmed at least in the AW that Zachariah was always the one driving the apocalypse 1. 0 and it was never really Michael, who still just wanted to fight Lucifer. for God. I don't want it to he that Zachariah is going to be a good guy to the strictly evil Michael. I want a nuanced  Michael.

12 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

That would be cool.

If Dean kills Zachariah again them I'm calling the following.

I'm throwing this out there as wild ass spec.

Lucifer possesses Sam again in the AU to fight Michael. Mary and Bobby die in battle,  Samifer and Michael get stuck in the AU. Dean, Cas and Jack make it through the Rift but Jack disappears  and Castiel goes off to find him and Dean ends up in our world with Anael who has fallen.

All just to prove that no matter what world Sam saves it, Dean helps, and gets an angel but not Castiel (cause you know...reasons LOL).  I swear to gods I almost believe that's what will happen.

• Love 1