Type keyword(s) to search

S25: Maksim Chmerkovskiy

• Start Topic

I liked the salsa they did. Wasn't that also a J.Lo song? They cold redo that, that one was cool.

As far as I'm concerned...M/M seemed to get along well and were probably showmancing it up a bit. They're not the first or the last ones to do it. Both Maks and Meryl have played it coy about their private lives to some degree while at the same time being on a reality show. Yes, it's probably a bit silly and contradictory on their part but also no big crime. They're also not the first nor the last ones to do it. The stalkery way some go on in regards to them on social media does make me uncomfortable, though. And I don't think any of that is "invited" or "deserved" by the (very mild) things Meryl and Maks did on the show.

• Love 1
As far as I'm concerned...M/M seemed to get along well and were probably showmancing it up a bit. They're not the first or the last ones to do it. Both Maks and Meryl have played it coy about their private lives to some degree while at the same time being on a reality show. Yes, it's probably a bit silly and contradictory on their part but also no big crime. They're also not the first nor the last ones to do it. The stalkery way some go on in regards to them on social media does make me uncomfortable, though. And I don't think any of that is "invited" or "deserved" by the (very mild) things Meryl and Maks did on the show.

While Meryl might not have been aware of how bad the repercussions would be once the show was over Maks certainly was. This isn't his first rodeo. He went through the same thing with Erin and to a lesser degree Brandy and Kirstie.

i am pretty sure Meryl isn't really bothered either.Although I think she is a lovely person in real life, the kind of things that have been posted about her and Charlie being secretly in love or the creepy fan blogs about Virtue and Moire have to have prepared her for the huge interest in her and Maks. Even Maks asked her about Charlie upon meeting her although I am sure that was scripted.

Body of work gets nominated, not individual dance and we still aren't sure what dances Maks Submitted. Derek's table dance was an interesting choreography even if there was less floor movement from Amy. I actually like Maks stuff more than Mandy Moore's SYTYCD stuff. He was probably over looked because he's just not known for his choreography.

I'm not a huge fan of Maks but I did think his dances this season were worthy of a nomination and I'm a little irritated he didn't get one. But then, a lot of people were snubbed for Emmys this year(*coughOrphanBlackcough*) so Maks is in good company.

Interesting. I was going off the acting categories where I know the shows submit a group of actors for consideration and the actors and their people, sometimes with input from the show's producers/writers, decide which episodes to submit.

Who selects the dances to be submitted for consideration?

According to what Lizzie tweeted, she selected the dances to submit without Maks's knowledge. 

I'm not saying that's actually the case but that's what she said.

Maks was never going to get nominated.  His work does not stand up next to those who were nominated.

In your opinion, of course.  Just because Maks doesn't do routines that make it all about him doesn't mean that he's not just as worthy as Ego-Boy Derek.

• Love 2
(edited)

Who selects the dances to be submitted for consideration?

Thanks for your responses to my question above. Always wondered how this worked. To keep this on topic, since I see I posted this in Maks' thread, I'll say I'm not all that surprised he wasn't nominated. I've never seen him claiming to be one of the show's best choreographers, so not an area I'd expect to see him nominated. He/they have even hired other choreographers for his/their own show "Sway," so pretty obvious that he's not hung up on this label. So, good for Derek, who is known as a choreographer as well as a dancer. Well deserved.

Oops, just realized some may read this as a slam against Maks. Couldn't be further from the truth. I first came to DWTS as a Derek fan but adore Maks and his dancing. It's about the dance for me, not the pro.

Edited by Sunhusky
  • Love 1

In your opinion, of course.  Just because Maks doesn't do routines that make it all about him doesn't mean that he's not just as worthy as Ego-Boy Derek.

Definitely a matter of opinion. I don't think Derek makes his routines all about him at all. I'm not a big fan of his but I think his choreography is fabulous and the Emmy nomination well deserved. And I don't think Maks's choreography is as bad as some make it out to be. It's just filled with lots of time wasting and, if a showmance is being played, some level of fake or real kissing.

• Love 3
(edited)

Definitely a matter of opinion. I don't think Derek makes his routines all about him at all. I'm not a big fan of his but I think his choreography is fabulous and the Emmy nomination well deserved. And I don't think Maks's choreography is as bad as some make it out to be. It's just filled with lots of time wasting and, if a showmance is being played, some level of fake or real kissing.

This. I think they both have their appeal and are both talented. Honestly, I didn't think this past season was some of Derek's best work and I do think part of that was because of the natural limitations that came with working with Amy. So I am a little surprised he was nominated although one thing about the Emmys, they love their repeat nominees. You see it with the same shows/actors who are nominated year after year after year. And when you add the fact that Derek won last year, deservedly so, I guess it isn't surprising they included him again. 

As for Maks, much as he irritates me at times, I do think he did some good work this season and certainly would not have been upset to see him nominated. But in my opinion, if one's going to call out Derek for making all his dances about himself, which I too don't agree with, let's not pretend Maks doesn't have his showboating moments in his choreography as well. It's one reason why so much of his choreography gets criticized for being repetitive - particularly when it comes to the Latin dances, there is almost always the separate from his celebrity while they dance around the floor away from each other while Maks attempts to seduce the camera. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

This. I think they both have their appeal and are both talented. Honestly, I didn't think this past season was some of Derek's best work and I do think part of that was because of the natural limitations that came with working with Amy. So I am a little surprised he was nominated although one thing about the Emmys, they love their repeat nominees. You see it with the same shows/actors who are nominated year after year after year. And when you add the fact that Derek won last year, deservedly so, I guess it isn't surprising they included him again. 

As for Maks, much as he irritates me at times, I do think he did some good work this season and certainly would not have been upset to see him nominated. But in my opinion, if one's going to call out Derek for making all his dances about himself, which I too don't agree with, let's not pretend Maks doesn't have his showboating moments in his choreography as well. It's one reason why so much of his choreography gets criticized for being repetitive - particularly when it comes to the Latin dances, there is almost always the separate from his celebrity while they dance around the floor away from each other while Maks attempts to seduce the camera. 

And his celebrity pushing him away so he can pretend to stumble or fall down. LOL

Can I just say I was coming in here ready to say "guuuuyyyysss cut it out" and I have like proud tears because you are disagreeing so nicely?! <3

Everything we do, Radish, we do it for you. ;)

• Love 1

Thanks for your responses to my question above. Always wondered how this worked. To keep this on topic, since I see I posted this in Maks' thread, I'll say I'm not all that surprised he wasn't nominated. I've never seen him claiming to be one of the show's best choreographers, so not an area I'd expect to see him nominated. He/they have even hired other choreographers for his/their own show "Sway," so pretty obvious that he's not hung up on this label. So, good for Derek, who is known as a choreographer as well as a dancer. Well deserved.

Oops, just realized some may read this as a slam against Maks. Couldn't be further from the truth. I first came to DWTS as a Derek fan but adore Maks and his dancing. It's about the dance for me, not the pro.

The Sway thing is essentially a student showcase. I haven't even seen signs from Maks or DWM that he's rehearsed for it at all, while others have been working on it for months. I don't think that's a general reflection on Maks' choreography skills and more of a reflection of the fact that he's still been traveling and doesn't appear to be very involved in this event.

Years ago Maks used to do a lot more choreographing for DWTS pro numbers and even did the last DWTS tour. I do agree that Maks doesn't sell himself as a choreographer much, but IMO he sells himself short when talking about his choreographing skills in recent years. I don't think he was counting on an Emmy nomination, although as a fan I would have loved to see that happen for him. In general on DWTS, I think the judges and some fans focus too much on praising or criticizing choreography at the expense of other elements of a performance. I just don't care about the choreography in most cases

On another Maks related note, one of Maks' longtime students, Serge Onik, is in the top 20 on SYTYCD. Serge has been on DWTS a few times over the years. Maks sounds like a very proud teacher on twitter.

Exactly.  Maks' choreography is filled with a lot of time wasting.  A bunch of walking and being separate from the celebrity before they finally come together and dance.  Many times while watching Maks and his partners, I've asked myself, "Are they going to dance yet?"  And if he's working the showmance angle, it's a bunch of kisses or near kisses.  I didn't watch a lot of Maks and Meryl.  But from the dances that I did see, that is what I saw.  That does not warrant any Emmy recognition.

And Derek has an ego?  Derek makes the dances all about himself?  Please.  I think Maks is the king of that category.

I think if Maks was going to be nominated for a choreography award, this would definitely be the season for it to happen. His and Meryl's dances were a step above everyone else's, in my opinion. He finally figured out how to work to his partner's strengths and hide her flaws. This was the first season that I was able to emotionally connect to a dance on this show, and it was one of Maks and Meryls.

Exactly.  Maks' choreography is filled with a lot of time wasting. 

Honestly, I think every pro wastes a lot of time in their dances. That's the problem with having untrained partners who have busy schedules - there's only so much you can teach them and expect them to be able to remember. We could call out any other pro for the same thing and be completely correct.

It's funny to me that Maks always ends up being compared to Derek as a way to show him as better or worse. They're different dancers with different styles and both look at dancing and teaching differently.

• Love 3
(edited)

He finally figured out how to work to his partner's strengths and hide her flaws.

He also had a professionally trained dancer as a partner. That certainly gave him an advantage no one else had or has ever had before on this show.

Edited by Toonces464
  • Love 1

Well, to be fair, Derek had Nicole Scherzinger who was also a professional dancer and I was personally just as unimpressed with her win as I was with Meryl. Because while Derek created some amazing routines that season, just as Maks did with Meryl, I was kind of left going - oh wow, the woman who was just as amazing a dancer in Week 1 as she was in Week 10 won…shocking. 

Well, to be fair, Derek had Nicole Scherzinger who was also a professional dancer and I was personally just as unimpressed with her win as I was with Meryl. Because while Derek created some amazing routines that season, just as Maks did with Meryl, I was kind of left going - oh wow, the woman who was just as amazing a dancer in Week 1 as she was in Week 10 won…shocking. 

I don't consider Nicole to be a professionally trained dancer. A singer who dances, yes. But to my knowledge, Nicole was never professionally trained or experienced in any kind of ballroom dancing, compared to Meryl and Charlie who I watched perform a quickstep with my own eyes during the Olympics. I don't care about the differences between dancing on a floor and dancing on ice -- they were professionally trained in the style of dance this show represents.

And if you want to say Nicole is a professional dancer then you'd have to say the same about Mya and Sabrina and Mel B, which negates the idea Maks has never had a ringer of his own before or a partner capable of winning. For what it's worth, I don't think any of them should have been on the show either. But TPTB don't seem to want to listen to me. :)

• Love 1

Guys unless you have something substantial to add to the conversation please don't post. No more back and forth and no more fighting about who has it better, Maks or Derek. Back to your corners before I have to ground the lot of you.

• Love 3

3 more DWTS alumni have been added to Shall we dance to Join Maks and Sharna And skaters Meryl Davis & Charlie White &Host Kristi Yamaguchi

http://www.dissonskating.com/2014/07/three-dancers-added-shallwedance/

Dmitry Chaplin

Chelsie Hightower

Louis van Amstel

NIce choices. One more female pro and they've got an excellent dance team. Has it been confirmed that Meryl and Maks and Charlie and Sharna are actually going to dance on the floor? It doesn't seem to be precisely stated in the PR for the show. You would think that if Meryl and Maks don't dance, the audience will be very disappointed. If any of you have not been following the message board on the network's DWTS forum, there's been an air of unreality and almost desparation about Meryl and Maks as "a couple". It's gotten to the point where people are analyzing songs that Meryl likes and assuming that she's not happy because she and Maks are not together. I concluded that whatever Meryl and Maks had, it was geniune but that it was "in the moment" for the run of season 18. Beyond that, I think not.

Sharna said she would be dancing with Charlie so I think it's safe to assume that Meryl will dance with Maks. And of course Mak's agent confirmed that Meryl and Maks would dance again so yeah I think it's safe to assume ;)

I'm not surprised, but given that he's done this "I'm done with DWTS/Well, maybe just one more season" dance numerous times, I'll believe it when I don't see him in September (the same goes for you, Derek).

I do have a bit of advice for him with regard to this, though:

The dancer has plans to start a family, too. "I raised so many children at the studio that I am ready to create one of my own," he told the mag. "I am really ready to have a family now. I need an outlet. I have so much I want to give, and I need someone to give it to."

Here's a hint, Maks:  If you're really serious about starting a family, you might want to cure the romantic ADD that you seem to have.  You've dated many different women over the years and claimed that each one is "The One" -- so just pick one and focus!

(edited)

So I saw a recap of Maks' appearance on Watch What Happens Live on US Weekly.com and the most interesting thing about it was that he and Kirstie are apparently no longer friends. As Maks apparently told it on the show, she sent him a letter that because of some of the people he's hanging out with, they can't be friends. Yeah doesn't take a rocket scientist to know it's because he hangs out with Leah Remini after she did DWTS and she and Tony are still very close. I actually feel bad for Maks because that's a pretty shitty way to treat someone who was supposedly such a close friend of yours. 

eta: Edited the comment because it's not worth getting in trouble over it. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I thought the WWHL interview was surprisingly tame, all things considered.  I mean, with Joan Rivers in a room, you never know what she's going to blurt out.  She and Maks seemed to get along fairly well and Andy Cohen mentioned they got into some serious topics during commercial breaks (something about the differences between Russia and Ukraine). 

Also watched the aftershow footage of Maks talking about his friendship with Kirstie being over.  In the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

• Love 1

I thought the WWHL interview was surprisingly tame, all things considered.  I mean, with Joan Rivers in a room, you never know what she's going to blurt out.  She and Maks seemed to get along fairly well and Andy Cohen mentioned they got into some serious topics during commercial breaks (something about the differences between Russia and Ukraine). 

Also watched the aftershow footage of Maks talking about his friendship with Kirstie being over.  In the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

I was also surprised at how softball the appearance was. I was expecting a train wreck.

Good for Maks for not bowing down to Kirstie. He had to know going in that becoming friendly with Leah would lead to this. And good for him for speaking out about it. I'm sure Kirstie's off the charts pissed that he took this public. 

• Love 1

doesn't take a rocket scientist to know it's because he hangs out with Leah Remini after she did DWTS and she and Tony are still very close.

I have to admit it surprised me at the time that DWTS even cast Leah.  But the speculative connection to Maks at this point isn't even Tony to Leah, but supposedly Jennifer Lopez (described usually by default as Leah's "best friend"--and reportedly someone who didn't like Leah's old lifestyle much)  I mean it's not speculation that Maks has been seen a lot with Lopez, just what it all means.  So if Kiristie doesn't like the situation, it's more like, "A to B to C" rather than "A to B".

Getting back in the realm of the confirmable vs. speculation, apparently Maks HAS actually said the following:

"I think the world of [Alley]," he said. "I'm not judging people by their religion. I'm Jewish. I don't really believe in science fiction, but whatever."

So at least apparently in his mind, this relates to religion, even if he's claiming it's not coming from his end (while admittedly he's not being so nice about describing the actual beliefs).

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

So this week's issue of US Weekly has Derek, Maks and Cheryl on the cover with a headline about the Pros tell all. I didn't read it but Yahoo was kind enough to pull out excerpts from the issue and I think it is fair to say there is no love lost between Maks and Derek, except it seems the issue is more one-sided. These were the gems to come out of this:

So Maks is aggressive and Derek is passive-aggressive, but they're both fanning the flames and I believe they are both mostly just playing the game. There may be some underlying hard feelings, but the Hough/Fam rivalry isn't much different than a showmance. Good for ratings, good for votes, but there's no real heat behind it.

• Love 13

There may be some underlying hard feelings, but the Hough/Fam rivalry isn't much different than a showmance. Good for ratings, good for votes, but there's no real heat behind it.

I agree.  

I think Maks is an ass because he's so tall and goodlooking that women treat him like he can do no wrong and he's taken that on board.  I have liked some of his partnerships, but mostly think his choreo is kinda weak and he does way too much pointless faffing about (I distinguish between pointful and pointless faffing about).   I've preferred Val since we first met him, but I've loathed so many of his partners and partnerships.

I wasted a lot of energy disliking Derek for my first few seasons, but there is no doubt that he's an interesting choreographer and so eventually I just came to accept him and now I kinda like him (went through something similar with Mark too).

I think that the show is happy with the Fam/Hough divide.  It's fairly harmless and it creates a good/evil dynamic which must be a difficult thing to do on a dance show.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

I agree.  

I think Maks is an ass because he's so tall and goodlooking that women treat him like he can do no wrong and he's taken that on board.  I have liked some of his partnerships, but mostly think his choreo is kinda weak and he does way too much pointless faffing about (I distinguish between pointful and pointless faffing about).   I've preferred Val since we first met him, but I've loathed so many of his partners and partnerships.

I wasted a lot of energy disliking Derek for my first few seasons, but there is no doubt that he's an interesting choreographer and so eventually I just came to accept him and now I kinda like him (went through something similar with Mark too).

I think that the show is happy with the Fam/Hough divide.  It's fairly harmless and it creates a good/evil dynamic which must be a difficult thing to do on a dance show.

I'm have mixed feelings about him being back but I'm beyond excited he's paired with Heather.  I think her status as the most obvious ringer in a stacked field means she'll face an uphill battle. Getting to see Maks dance for several weeks with a partner with ability will make me happy.

I also think one of the good things about pairing Heather with Maks is he's far less likely to do jazz and contemporary early on which means Heather will be forced out of her comfort zone. I do assume at some point producers will force her to teach the Single Ladies dance, if they didn't already make her do it at the first meeting.

• Love 1