Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

This is a recent conversation that Hanning had on twitter

Engine Ear ‏@Engine_Ear2015 13h13 hours ago

@RobHanning Rob,with all the chatter about another Caskett blowup, do they ever go back to "work partners" this season, or is that only 819?

There's been chatter about another Caskett blowup?

What i take this to mean (and i could be very wrong) is that they decide to work together on LokSat

Yes, that's probably the most likely outcome. Now that Beckett has become involved with Loksnore because of the events of "XY"/"XX" Castle's attempts to keep her safe would seem superfluous so they need to pool their knowledge to make progress. How many times do they have to remind each other that they are better together.

• Love 2

There's been chatter about another Caskett blowup?

Trust you to find the negative in that exchange. LOL.

You should be concentrating on Hanning's reply.

I think i've seen some extreme interpretations of what little we know about the final few episodes, but Hawley did say the finale would have Caskett reaching a satisfying point in the Loksnore investigation, however didn't Marlowe describe FBOW as a "fun" episode, and there's still the blind item out there, and as Wendy said earlier in TV land they would probably want an unencumbered Castle for S9 if Stana leaves. The showrunners seem to use a totally different urban dictionary than I do.

Edited by westwingfan

Trust you to find the negative in that exchange. LOL.

You should be concentrating on Hanning's reply.

I wasn't trying to concentrate on the negative, I just wondered what I had missed since I hadn't heard anything about that.  I agree the reply means Caskett will FINALLY start working together on LockSat.  Maybe that means they'll finally make progress with the case.

I think i've seen some extreme interpretations of what little we know about the final few episodes, but Hawley did say the finale would have Caskett reaching a satisfying point in the Loksnore investigation, however didn't Marlowe describe FBOW as a "fun" episode, and there's still the blind item out there, and as Wendy said earlier in TV land they would probably want an unencumbered Castle for S9 if Stana leaves. The showrunners seem to use a totally different urban dictionary than I do.

Marlowe did describe FBOW as fun, but his terminology might be different than Hawley. Hawley did use fun in ways I wouldn't, but when someone asked about Beckett getting killed off in the midseason finale (based on another blind item) he laughed and said a dead Beckett wasn't his idea of fun. And he said he wanted to get back to fun in S9. But without a Showrunner to English dictionary, I am not really sure what that means.

I wasn't trying to concentrate on the negative, I just wondered what I had missed since I hadn't heard anything about that.  I agree the reply means Caskett will FINALLY start working together on LockSat.  Maybe that means they'll finally make progress with the case.

Marlowe did describe FBOW as fun, but his terminology might be different than Hawley. Hawley did use fun in ways I wouldn't, but when someone asked about Beckett getting killed off in the midseason finale (based on another blind item) he laughed and said a dead Beckett wasn't his idea of fun. And he said he wanted to get back to fun in S9. But without a Showrunner to English dictionary, I am not really sure what that means.

I wasn't being too serious with my earlier reply, hence the "LOL"

Hawley was quick to distance Castle from the midseason blind item, but the latest one has drawn no reassuring comments so far. Although I think that they sometimes give away too much about what's coming, which spoils the enjoyment to some extent, like one of the SPs for Veritas revealed that Smith was still alive.

• Love 1

Hawley was quick to distance Castle from the midseason blind item, but the latest one has drawn no reassuring comments so far. Although I think that they sometimes give away too much about what's coming, which spoils the enjoyment to some extent, like one of the SPs for Veritas revealed that Smith was still alive.

I think that the network picks the SPs. I remember Marlowe complaining about how ABC pretty much spoiled the ending of Always by putting the shot of Beckett walking though the door and going to kiss Castle in the promo.

Edited by KaveDweller

I think that the network picks the SPs. I remember Marlowe complaining about how ABC pretty much spoiled the ending of Always by putting the shot of Beckett walking though the door and going to kiss Castle in the promo.

That ring's a bell now you mention it. ABC press certainly haven't done the show any favours over the years, and this season they seem to have been more manipulative than ever by including clips of Beckett in the promos for Cool Boys and The G.D.S. On the one hand they seem to know what will please a lot of people, i.e. Beckett, and then they go and highlight Alexis and Hayley in one of the SPs for The Blame Game when they only had a minor role, and they ought to be aware that it will likely be a red rag to many on social media, unless of course the responses that the ABC Advisory Panel gets are highly supportive of Castle P.I. and his new sidekicks.

A comment from Nathan's panel at SVCC

Gayle-Lynne ‏@gayle_lynne
Nathan answered a question about working with Stana.

Audrey Grace Pearls ‏@dwsparklingjew1 2m2 minutes ago
@gayle_lynne @a_contrario7 Oddly, he never answered the question. He gave credit for the chemistry to the wrters. HeWas asked if SK is as beautiful in real life and if the chemistry is real or is he a great actor. He credited the writers.

Another comment on his answer

4 Your Excitement‏@4_Y_E

@olinha_ he said he doesn't have to do much work to make their chemistry happen

4 Your Excitement ‏@4_Y_E 50m50 minutes ago

@olinha_ Also, for clarification, he said he shows up and is given the lines and the scene and just does his acting #Caskett

Edited by westwingfan

A comment from Nathan's panel at SVCC

Gayle-Lynne ‏@gayle_lynne

Nathan answered a question about working with Stana.

Audrey Grace Pearls ‏@dwsparklingjew1 2m2 minutes ago

@gayle_lynne @a_contrario7 Oddly, he never answered the question. He gave credit for the chemistry to the writers. He Was asked if SK is as beautiful in real life and if the chemistry is real or is he a great actor. He credited the writers.

"He gave credit for the chemistry to the writers."  Typical NF response. Mansplaining is defined as explaining something to someone, typically a man to woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing. He forgot to mention aging; arrogant; overweight actor. LOL

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1
westwingfan, on 19 Mar 2016 - 2:39 PM, said:

and there's still the blind item out there,

Which said that the actor/actress had not been released from their contract and that,as if right now, they would not be back next season. Castle has not yet been renewed and SK's contract is up anyway, it's unlikely that she would have to be released from anything. Now, I'm not saying no; it's TV anything can happen, however, those are two strong hints that it doesn't concern Castle.

"He gave credit for the chemistry to the writers." Typical NF response. Mansplaining is defined as explaining something to someone, typically a man to woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing. He forgot to mention aging; arrogant; overweight actor. LOL

That's not so much mansplaining as it is an actor who is so uninvested in his character and show that he can't even fake an answer to a question from a fan who clearly still is invested. His Castle fatigue has been apparent for years now (Stana's is newer) but if they keep throwing massive cheques his way....

Edited by BellyLaughter
  • Love 1

I get this was a fan event, but I think Fillion was being diplomatic. The question sounds like they expected the man to gush about his co-star's beauty and ramble about their vibe.

But we are not privy to his feelings about Katic nor hers about Fillion. So, in the name of their maybe not being BFFs (and, no, not doing the whole hate thing here), he answered more roundabout. Which seems professional to me.

I think some just have to accept that SK/NF will never have the close vibe like, say, Duchovny/Anderson (now) or Deschanel/Boreanaz. I will concede it may suck for Castle fans, but if NF ever did gush, dollars to donuts he'd then be accused of insincerity. So I think he did the best he could here.

• Love 5

I think some just have to accept that SK/NF will never have the close vibe like, say, Duchovny/Anderson (now) or Deschanel/Boreanaz. I will concede it may suck for Castle fans, but if NF ever did gush, dollars to donuts he'd then be accused of insincerity. So I think he did the best he could here.

What I think is kind of sad, is that they really seemed to have that close vibe in the first couple of seasons and something happened to change that. It's kind of disappointing from a fan perspective, but it clearly won't change back at this point. I think both of them will continue to be diplomatic in the media though.

But yeah, someone will always find something to complain about with Nathan's comments. I'm sure he doesn't think much about it, and if he does, his millions console him.

• Love 1

I can't see them ever going back to "work partners" in the truest sense of the word, it would require more Castle and Beckett screen time and that's not going to happen.

It's about time they started to show Castle taking an active interest with Beckett in this Locksat business, it makes no sense since he found out for Castle to be as isolated from it as he has been. 

Those fans asking Fillion questions about Stana at cons need to leave it be, he's not going to change his approach that's just the way it is. 

Both actors appear to have Castle fatigue but that won't stop them signing on for another season if ABC make them an offer and I believe they will.

As for Nathan and Stana and their relationship it is sad, whatever happened I fear it has affected the writing to some extent, the huge elephant in the room isn't going to disappear, it will just keep being awkwardly skirted around as everyone continues milking the cow for all its worth.  

The network pick the sneak peeks so it's ABC's marketing department fans should be bitching to not the showrunners. 

but Hawley did say the finale would have Caskett reaching a satisfying point in the Loksnore investigation,

The only way it can be satisfying is for their investigation to bring down Locksat, casting it into the abyss. 

I get this was a fan event, but I think Fillion was being diplomatic. The question sounds like they expected the man to gush about his co-star's beauty and ramble about their vibe.

But we are not privy to his feelings about Katic nor hers about Fillion. So, in the name of their maybe not being BFFs (and, no, not doing the whole hate thing here), he answered more roundabout. Which seems professional to me.

No one mentions that he was shaking his head "yes" in answer to the question of whether she is as beautiful in real life.  And he could have said she was the most beautiful woman in the world and they wouldn't have liked the tilt of his head or the tone of his voice or the way he blinked or some other inane thing in how he said it.  In certain segments of the fandom, it would never be good enough.

• Love 2
"He gave credit for the chemistry to the writers." Typical NF response. Mansplaining is defined as explaining something to someone, typically a man to woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing. He forgot to mention aging; arrogant; overweight actor. LOL

That's not so much mansplaining as it is an actor who is so uninvested in his character and show that he can't even fake an answer to a question from a fan who clearly still is invested. His Castle fatigue has been apparent for years now (Stana's is newer) but if they keep throwing massive cheques his way....

Judging by the video of the panel the question was pretty awkward. Not so much "how do you like working with Stana?" as "all that chemistry, it can't be just acting, what gives?". Before or after this question someone asked if Nathan "had a thing" with Gina Torres on the set of Firefly...

All in all I think he answered diplomatically and predictably shifted the question's topic to other things, to avoid awkwardness. I see no "mansplaining" here, no condescension, no arrogance, no disrespect to either actors or characters. Btw, he asked the girl with the question not to call Stana "Stania", maybe that can be seen as patronizing?

Anyway, it's not the first time he is asked similar awkward questions about working with Stana, and he always answers in the same manner - shifting the topic (which is his right, everyone decides for themselves how to answer icky questions in public). But every year it seems the reaction to these answers gets progressively more enraged and scandalized.

• Love 6

It might also be a little undiplomatic to gush over how sexy your costar is when she has recently married. (To a man she has been intimately involved with for some years.)

Which goes for both SK and for Gina Torres who missed one episode of Firefly to go on her honeymoon with Laurence Fishburrne.

The bedroom does have two entrances , see these floor plans: http://castletv.net/...es-secret-lair/. But there was never a door from the bedroom into the hallway.

I think those blueprints are flipped.

The kitchen is on the right as we enter the apartment and the office/bedroom on the left.

Edited by femmefan1946

I believe that the correct answer is that the bedroom has as many entrances as the bedroom needs to have!:) I've been catching up on many episodes tonight, and I've got to say I agree with those that felt like GDS was a back-door pilot, if you will.

As for the happy ending for Beckett/Castle, I do believe that was the original plan, but as someone else here was comparing it above to Grey's, if the show goes on long enough and one (of the one true loves) doesn't want to be there any longer but the show can still run thereafter, well, the show goes on if the owner's so choose.

To be honest, I could watch a GDS spinoff. 

Some of the questions actors get asked by fans at cons make me cringe they're so embarrassing and at times inappropriate given the situation, certain people have no sense of where to draw the line.  

• Love 6

Looking at those plans where's the bathroom? Because what they have next to the bedroom doesn't seem sketched out like it's one although I'm terrible at reading these things. 

May be Lockast is hiding out in the secret lair?

I don't think it's mansplaning to shrug off a silly question about your costar. The "chemistry" for me, is clearly writing and directing -- and editing, because sometimes it appears to be done with body doubles -- so he was speaking the truth.

I see some fans worried about Stana to the extent that they don't give her credit for being a strong person, just being led around by these evil men. These fans are objectifying her as much as anyone. She is in fact, a person with her own mind. I wish they would treat her with more respect, rather than like an object to mold.

Some of the questions actors get asked by fans at cons make me cringe they're so embarrassing and at times inappropriate given the situation, certain people have no sense of where to draw the line.  

Or they're asked specifically for a purpose, to create the drama of yesterday.

Edited by BlakesMomma

That question from a fan during the NF panel at SVCC was both awkward and perhaps somewhat inappropriate for the venue, but his response was just as awkward. He was being dismissive of Stana by not giving her some kind of a mention at the opportunity. Writers don't create chemistry per se. His response is just more of the patronizing comments he has spoken to loyal fans lately brought about by the recent downswing in the Castle brand. IMHO.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1

The question was both awkward and perhaps somewhat inappropriate for the venue, but his response was just as awkward. He was being dismissive of Stana by not giving her some kind of a mention at the opportunity. Writers don't create chemistry per se. His response is just more of the patronizing comments he has spoken to loyal fans lately brought about by the recent downswing in the Castle brand. IMHO.

I just don't buy this whole "victimization of Stana Katic" angle. But to each his/her own.

• Love 5

It might also be a little undiplomatic to gush over how sexy your costar is when she has recently married. (To a man she has been intimately involved with for some years.)

Which goes for both SK and for Gina Torres who missed one episode of Firefly to go on her honeymoon with Laurence Fishburrne.

The bedroom does have two entrances , see these floor plans: http://castletv.net/...es-secret-lair/. But there was never a door from the bedroom into the hallway.

I think those blueprints are flipped.

The kitchen is on the right as we enter the apartment and the office/bedroom on the left.

I used to think they were flipped too, but I think that's just because they usually film from the other side of the room.  In After the Storm, you see Beckett come out of the bedroom and walk to the left to get to the door. And in XX you see Castle come from the kitchen to where Beckett is standing by the door, and you can see that the door is to his right. Which means the kitchen would be on the left of someone coming from the door. 

I really wish there would be a declaration made about the future of Castle....whichever way it's gonna go I'd rather know and it would hopefully put to rest some of the more extreme ends of behaviour in this fandom. Either give the conspiracy theorists their moment in the sun or shut them up....I beg you ABC. I just find this so stressful.

• Love 1

I really wish there would be a declaration made about the future of Castle....whichever way it's gonna go I'd rather know and it would hopefully put to rest some of the more extreme ends of behaviour in this fandom. Either give the conspiracy theorists their moment in the sun or shut them up....I beg you ABC. I just find this so stressful.

Honestly, i hope they dont find out until after taping of the last episode is completed. Im afraid of what AH would do knowing S9 is coming. Personally though, i think they already know and just arent telling us. But who knows for sure

The way Hawley has suddenly changed his tune over having a cliffhanger, sounds like he knows S9 is a go and he (miraculously) continues in well paid employment.

Watch what you love. ‏@Sandraxf  3 hrs3 hours ago
Mark your calendar:

April 11: Last Day of Filming S8
May 16: S8 Finale (822)
May 17: ABC Upfront Event

#Castle

Dates subject to change.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

While I think the show is running on fumes and should end, I do now think it will have S9 - with or without everyone on board. But I'm guessing Dungey will do her best to lock in both leads and any deviation will be a last-ditch decision.

Mainly because, as I said before, the 10:00 p.m. slot has been kind to very little on any given night (save for Thursdays) on ABC, so I can see the network sticking with a known property, even if the ratings are woeful.

I think the age-old question now is, will S9 be the last season or not...

I keep seeing April 11 as the last day of filming Do we know its origin? Based on their current schedule, I see them finishing April 8 (and that's presuming they have the Friday before Easter off as in previous seasons). Unless they anticipate principal photography taking 9 days for either 8x21 or 8x22, finishing on a Monday seems odd to me. 

I keep seeing April 11 as the last day of filming Do we know its origin? Based on their current schedule, I see them finishing April 8 (and that's presuming they have the Friday before Easter off as in previous seasons). Unless they anticipate principal photography taking 9 days for either 8x21 or 8x22, finishing on a Monday seems odd to me. 

They started filming 8x21 on Mar 17 and OLV's calendar has them filming three days at the LA Time Editorial Library for this episode on Mar 23, Mar 24, and Mar 30, which suggests they won't be filming on Good Friday or Easter Monday if 8x21 is the usual 8 day episode. They would then start  filming the finale on Mar 31 and 8 days would have them finishing on Apr 11.

I think Andrew Bikichky, one of the camera crew, might have given the Apr 11 end date in answer to the question.

Edited by westwingfan

Count me in as one of the ones who would start watching if they did a Fillion only spin off.  I have nothing against Katic at all, but this is not the show I fell in love with.  I know things have to change and grow, but these characters are unrecognizeable.  I started watching for Fillion and grew to really like Katic, especially they way she was shown to have insecurities but plenty of authority, while he had confidence/bravado and none of the authority.  Badass Beckett and Castle the Clown just doesn't jive with me.  The show used to be fun, and I think it would be again without Katic, not due to her but because she wouldn't be there for them to write her so much drama.  

As to how she disappears?  He's a writer.  There is no reason the last eight seasons couldn't have been a series of his books, and he becomes bored with Nikki Heat much like he did with Derek Storm.  It's a total cop-out, but it would eliminate the need for a death/divorce or a major separation, and there would be no need for a period of grieving, so the spin-off/S9 could be launched lightheartedly.  

• Love 5

OLV's calendar has them filming three days at the LA Time Editorial Library for this episode on Mar 23, Mar 24, and Mar 30, which suggests they won't be filming on Good Friday or Easter Monday if 8x21 is the usual 8 day episode.

Or suggests that they couldn't get the location on Monday, March 28 and have to go back March 30. They can be filming at Raleigh that day instead.

I don't remember the production taking off the Friday before AND Monday after Easter as observed in the US ever before (Easter Monday isn't a thing here), so that would be new. 

Edited by S55

Or suggests that they couldn't get the location on Monday, March 28 and have to go back March 30. They can be filming at Raleigh that day instead.

I don't remember the production taking off the Friday before AND Monday after Easter as observed in the US ever before (Easter Monday isn't a thing here), so that would be new. 

That's true, but either way they should be starting the finale on Mar 31 which takes them to Apr 11 for Day 8.

I think the age-old question now is, will S9 be the last season or not...

If both leads sign it sure as hell won't be the quality of the storytelling that dragged them back I know that much. There was a time when I thought Castle reaching the ten year mark was laughable, but I'm giving serious consideration to the idea they could end up celebrating 200 episodes - whether Castle will remotely resemble the show it was back when they cut the cake on the 100th is another matter.

All the ingredients are there. A desperate network, a general fanbase that out of a combination of loyalty and habit will probably stick with it to the end (the ratings have stayed relatively stable despite the separation which many thought was a deal breaker) and two leads who whilst not appearing to be best mates offscreen have reached a happy (for them) accommodation with TPTB over their reduced filming schedules.

Edited by verdana

Looks like Stana will be doing something different from live tweeting.

Stana Katic ‏@Stana_Katic 25m25 minutes ago

Surprise! Head over to Facebook TODAY at 1PM PST for a chat with me & @chadgcreasey! https://www.facebook.com/stanakaticfanpage/

The session was lame, general question were answered, but the tough ones about where did the door appear from, Do you want a S9 will you come back next year etc no answer or response

The session was lame, general question were answered, but the tough ones about where did the door appear from, Do you want a S9 will you come back next year etc no answer or response

In other words, she was being smart about her own career negotiations and probably following the wishes of the network.  Nothing wrong with that.

• Love 3

The session was fun to follow, episode hasn't aired yet so they weren't really able to talk about specific things in the episode.  Stana appears to be working today, so probably won't be available tonight.  Nice of them to do this though.

Edited by Thak
  • Love 1

On Feb 23 TV Line said that

In a springtime episode, a series regular character will emerge as a person of interest in a murder, ultimately setting the stage for a possibly significant life change.

And the Press Release for 8x16 Heartbreaker has this in the synopsis

But complications arise when they learn that Esposito might not have been telling them everything about his past with the culprit.

So I'm thinking that Espo could fit the bill as the series regular who emerges as the POI.

Edited by westwingfan

Interesting that Stana's done very little promotion or talk about Castle all season but did this chat today and was tweeting a lot about it recently.

I'm probably overanalyzing whether that means anything though.

Interesting that Stana's done very little promotion or talk about Castle all season but did this chat today and was tweeting a lot about it recently.

I'm probably overanalyzing whether that means anything though.

She has tweeted reminders before each of the episodes in 2016, including The G.D.S. even though she wasn't in it.

Stana Katic ‏@Stana_Katic Mar 7

New #Castle tonight, ladies & gents. Rick Castle heads off to LA to solve his disappearance mystery. Enjoy!

Edited by westwingfan

Im a little afraid this episode wont live up to the hype. Looking forward to seeing more SK and hopefully forward movement for Caskett (please) but going by previous S8 eps, my expectations are low.

It's a sign how desperate some of us have become. LOL

• Love 2

I thought this particular response of Stana's to an FB question was somewhat pointed:

Q: How important is it for the pair of you to have Beckett's character perpetually growing? We are at season 8 and she is still learning new things about herself.

A: What new things do you think she's learned this season? :)

I do think the character has stagnated this season (oddly enough, the season in which she got a new job) and that the actress hasn't had much to chew on dramatically, though I'm not among those who think it's some huge conspiracy. Just a product of less than imaginative writing. I hope tonight's episode will be a pleasant surprise in that area.

As for NF, he had this to say today:

Dean Heuman ‏@dheuman

@NathanFillion We need to see Castle write again, he has lost his edge, plus he doesn't hang with the interesting and rich anymore.

Nathan Fillion ‏@NathanFillion 

Perhaps watching Castle write isn’t the riveting television you imagine it is?

Though it made me laugh, I get what the tweeter meant about the writing. That having been said, the lack of focus on Castle's writing has been there since I guess S3/S4, and in fairness to the this set of writers, there has been a bit more reference to his work this season than in the other more recent ones. 

One thing that would make me happy (whether it happens in this episode or future ones) would be Martha knowing that Castle and Beckett are secretly back together....it would be a nice throw back to season 5 and show that the writers don't totally have their heads up their backsides when it comes to honouring the history and characters of this show. The Martha we've come to know over the years would know.....

Edited by BellyLaughter

One thing that would make me happy (whether it happens in this episode or future ones) would be Martha knowing that Castle and Beckett are secretly back together....it would be a nice throw back to season 5 and show that the writers don't totally have their heads up their backsides when it comes to honouring the history and characters of this show. The Martha we've come to know over the years would know.....

I agree, although my guess will be that she doesnt know and assume the worst and thats part of why he wants to spill the truth of their relationship. On the otherhand, these writers seem rather stuck on rehashing past storylines, so maybe they will play that card again.

She has tweeted reminders before each of the episodes in 2016, including The G.D.S. even though she wasn't in it.

I know, but it seems like in the past couple weeks she's been going above and beyond reminders. But like I said, I'm probably reaching.

I'm hoping Martha knows too, and I do think they've hinted she might. However, I hope Alexis doesn't know, just cause I'm tired of Alexis knowing everything. I feel like Martha/Castle have a much more balanced relationship and it makes sense for Martha to pick up on that kind of thing. The dedication in the sneak peak is kind of insulting, but that is more Martha's external personality than their real relationship.

i'd be ok with a Fillion or Katic - spin-off,although, unless  Fillion gets a Marvel role, I don't think either of them are in a position to turn down millions of dollars.,

IMO - It'll be back - with both leads.