Type keyword(s) to search

"Yes Emily, you may go first." Edward Herrman's greatest moments as Richard Gilmore

BC Mama
  • Start Topic

My favourite Richard moment is from The Bracebridge Dinner. Emily is fretting about what riding in the horse drawn carriage must be doing to her hair when Richard says it is not as bad as "the other thing." When Emily asks what he means, he playfully messes with her hair. I love this moment of childlike glee!

• Love 3

One of my favorite Richard moments is from Unto the Breach, at the Yale graduation:

Lorelai, I will note the time. I will take the photo. You just sit there and enjoy your daughter’s graduation from Yale. This is as much your moment as Rory’s. Enjoy it.

GG721-1022.jpg

Edited by eledgy
  • Love 8

At Rory's 17th birthday party, when they're about to say goodbye he gives Rory her magazine and says "I am an autumn".

When Richard is at Gypsy's with Dean and asks Dean how tall he is Dean asks "why, do you want to dance?" and Richard replies "No...but thank you for asking".

• Love 4

Not really a scene but most of the episode (except the end part of course) but when Loreali is helping her dad with his new buisness. It was nice to see them bond, particularly when they were looking for supplies.

And of course when he defends her against Christopher parents. Actually that's probably my favorite.

• Love 3

When he takes off to sing with the Whiffenpoofs in TKBNO.

When he looks at Rory with such love in his eyes and declares her "lovely....inside and out" in TRL.

When he thanks Rory for her speech in TISP.

Excuse me, I have something in my eye.

• Love 2

Not really a scene but most of the episode (except the end part of course) but when Loreali is helping her dad with his new buisness. It was nice to see them bond, particularly when they were looking for supplies.

"Yes, I bagged the Swede!"

Another Richard moment I love in this episode is when Richard and lorelai are shopping at the office supply store and Richard sneakily grabs a coffee maker off the top shelf when there is no one around to help them!

• Love 3

I love this scene from Eight O'Clock at the Oasis, just a hilarious scene:

RICHARD: Lorelai, you obviously do not understand the way things work in your mother’s world. There is a certain protocol that must be followed, social rules that dictate proper behavior, and these rules must be very strictly adhered to.

LORELAI: Dad, I’m not going out with Peyton again, period.

RICHARD: Lorelai, let me tell you a little story. Now, two years ago, Sally Wallington’s check for the winter formal bounced.

LORELAI: So?

RICHARD: It took her two weeks to replace the check.

LORELAI: So?

RICHARD: When Sally attended the next DAR meeting, she was served the last cup of tea.

LORELAI: Soooo?

RICHARD: Before this unfortunate incident, Sally Wallington always received the first cup of tea. When she was suddenly demoted, your mother moved up to the prime tea spot, and she’s held that spot ever since. Now, she’s very proud of that spot, and now she’s afraid that this little incident may jeopardize it.

LORELAI: Dad, I explained this to Mom and I’ll explain it to you. I’m not sixteen, I don’t live with you anymore, I’ve been making my own decisions, romantic and otherwise, for a long time now and you can play all the golf you want but the subject better be letting chicks into the Augusta Golf Club because my love life is officially off limits.

RICHARD: Didn’t you hear what I just said?

LORELAI: About the tea? Yes, I heard it, and I’m sorry, but it sounds insane.

RICHARD: Of course it sounds insane! It is insane, that is not the point.

LORELAI: Okay, then what’s the point?

RICHARD: The point is your mother is upset, and I don’t want her to be upset. Now, you may not understand her world, I may not understand her world, but it is her world, and in her world it is very, very important that she have the first cup of tea. And I don’t care about your independence or what you told your mother or anything else you have to say – if my wife wants the first cup of tea, she’s going to have the first cup of tea, that’s it! Now, I will call you after I play golf.

• Love 3

One of my favourite Richard moments is when Lorelai tells Richard and Emily that Christopher is paying for Yale. Emily angrily hangs up and Richard sadly says that he's still on the line and that he only wishes she had said it before he called everybody at the Yale Bursar's office a moron. Lorelai says "If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure at least two of them are" and he kind of wryly chuckles. It was a small but sweet moment. I really wish they could have explored Richard and Lorelai's relationship a bit more. Richard seemed like the type that appreciated Lorelai's sharpness, even if he didn't always get her humour.

• Love 2

Another nice Richard and Lorelai moment was when he helped her escape that dull date Emily had set up at their house. Richard catches Lorelai trying to sneak out and ends up yelling down to Emily that she isn't there. I loved Lorelai going, "Thank you, daddy."

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 5

Another nice Richard and Lorelai moment was when he helped her escape that dull date Emily had set up at their house. Richard catches Lorelai trying to sneak out and ends up yelling down to Emily that she isn't there. I loved Lorelai going, "Thank you, daddy."

The twinkle in richard's eye after is priceless

• Love 1

This thread is making me emotional.

Like someone else mentioned, I love his relationship with Lorelai in Help Wanted, but I really love the end when he says about his new secretary "Well, she's no" and then pauses and looks at Lorelai with such appreciation and you know he's thinking Lorelai, but instead he says "Marge."   It kind of encompasses a lot of their relationship - he didn't verbalize what he was thinking and how proud he was of his daughter, but you could tell at times he felt it.

Another one along that line is in LTGB when he starts to get choked up telling Rory about how Lorelai stole his Yale diploma when she was 10 years old and hung it on her wall because she was going to go to Yale too, just like him.  : /

• Love 2

I also love "Unto the Breach" and Richard's line in it. Rory's Chilton graduation is cute, but her Yale graduation is genuinely beautiful and moving to me.

It's not at all a warm fuzzy scene, and it's really uncomfortable to watch, but Richard and Lorelai's conversation after Richard throws Straub out in "Christopher Returns." Richard is pretty unlikable in it, but unlike in later seasons where Richard and Emily seemed over-the-top nasty, you can really see simultaneously how much pain Lorelai caused her parents and how much pain they caused her. Edward Herrmann was so great in it.

Edited by moonb
  • Love 3
One of my favourite Richard moments is when Lorelai tells Richard and Emily that Christopher is paying for Yale. Emily angrily hangs up and Richard sadly says that he's still on the line and that he only wishes she had said it before he called everybody at the Yale Bursar's office a moron. Lorelai says "If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure at least two of them are" and he kind of wryly chuckles. It was a small but sweet moment. I really wish they could have explored Richard and Lorelai's relationship a bit more. Richard seemed like the type that appreciated Lorelai's sharpness, even if he didn't always get her humour.

Tangerine, this episode is on ABC Family right now, and that moment, while so small, is really great.

• Love 1

"She's having sex, Lorelai. She's having sex under my roof. I paid 40,000 dollars to redecorate her sex house. I bought her her sex mattress, her sex box springs. I provided everything she needs to waste her life."

While he was upset when he was saying it. The content was silly funny.

Plus, I have been known to say this.  "I LOVE Shrimp!"

• Love 2

One of my favourite Richard moments is him and Rory playing that trick on Logan after him and his friends embarrassed Rory in class with the fake fight. The fact that Richard was totally on board with doing it just tickles me.

I also really liked when Richard brought Lorelai the dollhouse. Sure, it was an excuse to talk about Rory but you can just tell how truly desperate he was. I'm somewhat of a Lorelai apologist, but in that moment I really hated how shrill and angry she was for not acknowledging how broken Richard was about Rory's situation.

Edited by Tangerine
  • Love 4