Type keyword(s) to search

Anticipation for Stephen Colbert's Late Show

• Start Topic

If anyone likes to track such things, George Clooney was also Jimmy Kimmels' first guest.

And Kimmel and Colbert  (and Jon Stewart) share the same agent...also, Clooney was The Rosie O'Donnell Show's first guest.

All I can say is that you could do a lot worse than to have George Clooney be your first.

Are we still talking about being a talk show guest?

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 2

Ugh. Jeb Bush is going to be on the first show too.

The only reason I could stand Republicans on The Colbert Report was because Stephen's character made them bearable with his incessant mockery of them to their faces. It was always funny and even him being nice and wanting to be their best friend always felt like a mockery in itself, because of the character.

Now he's going to have to be sincerely polite to these people. Sigh. Not looking forward to that.

• Love 1

Ruby25, I'm hopeful that he will be able to pull off a cordial & interesting interview that won't scare off first time viewers, while still being his smart, witty, and whatever the-opposite-of-pandering is self. :)

Edited to replace "friendly" with "cordial." Because Stephen does not have to be friends with Jeb in order for this to work. ;)

Edited by A Boston Gal

Having the two guests on the first show be an A-list Hollywood liberal and a Republican presidential candidate does seem like a pretty calculated attempt at combating the "Colbert can't be broadly popular since he's already alienated half the country" narrative that's been out there ever since his hiring was announced.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 1

It definitely looks like they're trying to market the show at older, white guys (two of three of which I am not!)--I had the PGA Championship on Sunday afternoon for background viewing (too lazy to change the channel, and I was doing other stuff, so I had the sound off), and the most commercials I saw when I did look at the screen were for the Late Show.

It definitely looks like they're trying to market the show at older, white guys (two of three of which I am not!)--I had the PGA Championship on Sunday afternoon for background viewing (too lazy to change the channel, and I was doing other stuff, so I had the sound off), and the most commercials I saw when I did look at the screen were for the Late Show.

I think that's much more CBS giving the show a full court press than it is them chasing the "golf viewer" demo. I doubt there will be very many commercial breaks on CBS that don't feature at least one Late Show promo over the next three weeks.

• Love 2

I think that's much more CBS giving the show a full court press than it is them chasing the "golf viewer" demo. I doubt there will be very many commercial breaks on CBS that don't feature at least one Late Show promo over the next three weeks.

Yes, I definitely don't watch golf, but every time I've had CBS on, I've seen commercials for the show.

• Love 1

I'm listening to this interview now. It started at 9 am and ended somewhere around 10:35 and 10:45 am. Very thorough.

8SPTwD8.png

Edited to add: More videos!

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

Having the two guests on the first show be an A-list Hollywood liberal and a Republican presidential candidate does seem like a pretty calculated attempt at combating the "Colbert can't be broadly popular since he's already alienated half the country" narrative that's been out there ever since his hiring was announced.

Or perhaps he's an agent provocateur putting two scorpions in a glass box on national television with hopes of hijinks, bloodied noses and chart busting ratings.  My money is on George, but remember it's an exhibition, not a competition. Please, no wagering.

• Love 2

Do we know if the guests mingle, or if it's one at a time?

it would be great if he had a guests mingle formula, but I bet he'd be accused of copying Corden then (who's ALREADY copying Graham Norton).

it would be great if he had a guests mingle formula, but I bet he'd be accused of copying Corden then (who's ALREADY copying Graham Norton).

And not well. He doesn't have Graham's edge. Graham can be a bit of an asshole, but he can also be very quick and hilarious. I don't see any of that with Corden. I don't think Stephen will copy anyone on anything. He's so good at having his own approach. Even the way he would make greeting the guests on TCR all about him was genius. I can't wait to see what he does. I do hope he can find a way to keep some version of The Word. That was too good to completely let go of.

• Love 1

I remember Johnny Carson having his guests mingle most of the time. I never understood why talk shows went away from that tradition. I'd like to see Stephen bring it back at least sometimes. But I do agree he will do everything as his own approach.

• Love 1

I always find the mingling to be awkward.  They are all sitting on a couch facing the same way.  It's hard to have a conversation.  I don't care for the Graham Norton show.  Everyone ends up talking over everyone else.  I hope Stephen has one guest at a time so he can control the conversation.

One of the issues with having multiple guests is creating a seating arrangement that allows them to see each other and the host, and lets the audience see all of them. The traditional couch or row of chairs (a la Carson) means that the guest closest to the host can't see the person on their other side. It did make for some comedy in ye olde dayes but mostly it just makes multiple guest pointless. Multiple guests can be accommodated--both Jon and Stephen did occasionally but usually with people who worked together.

Edited by ABay

Everyone ends up talking over everyone else.

I can't say it's even seemed that way to me watching the Norton Show. In a few cases, sure, but it's atypical.

The most notable example recently was when they had Amy Schumer on. She didn't know when to shut up. Also, Lena Dunham.

• Love 1

To me, the greatest example of what can happen when guests mingle is the time Norm MacDonald hung around while Conan was interviewing Courtney Thorne-Smith on the old NBC "Late Night" show. This is one of the funniest clips ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F6dXcW-_Fc

Jimmy Kimmel used to have multiple guests on, but I don't think he does anymore (I haven't watched it in a while). I remember once Regis Philbin and Jordana Brewster were on, and Regis wound up chewing Jordana's gum.

Of course, a lot of the big stars (and their publicists) don't WANT unpredictability... that's how you wind up with the ultimate stage-managed, pre-approved segments like Tom Cruise's "for God's sake don't ask about Scientology" appearances in advance of the latest "Mission Impossible."

Edited by trow125
  • Love 1

The show just released a list of the first week's guests:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/24/stephen-colbert-first-week-guests/

As the Times rightly points out, a very eclectic mix.  If it holds true that makes me very happy knowing on any given night I won't necessarily be subjected solely to vipid actors and actresses pimping their latest projects.  I'll be over the moon if they book a few kid scientists, giant zucchini farmers and an outlaw now and then.  Magic 8 Ball says "Outlook good".

Edited by kib

It really bums me out that Jeb Bush has to be on his first show, and that he admitted the reason they reached out to Mitt Romney in that promo was because he thought it was important that he be seen interacting with a Republican politician. Why is that so important?

Why is that so important?

To him, probably not very important. To CBS... well that may be entirely another matter.  Those cameras don't power themselves.

It's definitely in the tradition of David Letterman... think of all the politicians over the years who proved they were "good sports" by doing Top 10 lists. And also in the bipartisan tradition of "Better Know a District."

I'd rather see Jeb! as a guest on LSwSC than Donald Trump. God, I hope Stephen doesn't give that blowhard any air time (he may, of course, feel free to mock him in the monologue). Plus, there are just so darn many GOP candidates; I'll bet Stephen has a Democratic one on soon, it's just that there are so many more Republicans to choose from.

Stephen King, Elon Musk and the Uber CEO are all great, interesting choices for the show's first week, IMO. I may actually have to tune in for more than just the comedy bits.

I think there are more than a few dynamics going on here.  First, we're speculating here on Previously TV, which is to say the buzz around here is going to be considerably more savvy about the media than the average American living room.

Fair to say there are millions of folks who still believe the Colbert character was the real deal.  Others are still fuming he had a 10-year run of making them look like ninnies. There even may be a few detractors that may have felt that way about Colbert's "Report" but appreciated all the smarts that went into pulling it off. So there's that, plus a number of folks that thought the network and Letterman were lefty sympathizers. Go read a Leno thread if you don't believe me.

Welcome to the big leagues, Stephen. You get traded from a AAA club to the majors and not only the majors, but the Yankees (which CBS once owned).  Is it really in your best interest in your inaugural season to go out and take a leak on the grave of Babe Ruth out there in the statue park even though half the crowd would love to see that happen?  Probably not.

My guess is he'll get around to slapping some heads around once the Columbia Broadcast System starts seeing the green rolling in.  If there are a couple of things I'm completely at ease with is understanding Colbert is not only a brilliant subversive but a better human being.  We'll know what we're getting the after the first teeth rattling political blunder and/or horrible national incident occurs which sadly not be an if but a when.  I have little doubt he'll exceed expectations.

Edited by kib
  • Love 3

I just hope the show doesn't suffer from True Detective syndrome, where the first incarnation was so beloved that the second act had no where else to go but down in most peoples eyes.

My guess is he'll get around to slapping some heads around once the Columbia Broadcast System starts seeing the green rolling in.  If there are a couple of things I'm completely at ease with is understanding Colbert is not only a brilliant subversive but a better human being.  We'll know what we're getting the after the first teeth rattling political blunder and/or horrible national incident occurs which sadly not be an if but a when.  I have little doubt he'll exceed expectations.

I cannot second this strongly enough. Colbert is an outstanding performer and writer, and while it might take the show a few months to gel, eventually, we'll all be wondering why we were so worried.

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 1
I cannot second this strongly enough. Colbert is an outstanding performer and writer, and while it might take the show a few months to gel, eventually, we'll all be wondering why we were so worried.

I agree, and I am also looking forward to the show settling in to the point where we will see people like Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Amy Sedaris coming on.

• Love 2

They announced the guests for Stephen's second week:

9/14: Emily Blunt; Justice Stephen Breyer; musical performance by The Dead Weather
9/15: Jake Gyllenhaal; musical performance by Run The Jewels with TV On The Radio
9/16: Kevin Spacey; Carol Burnett with Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer of Broad City; musical performance by and interview with Willie Nelson
9/17: Naomi Watts; United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon
9/18: Lupita Nyong’o; Sen. Bernie Sanders; interview with and performance by An American in Paris’ Christopher Wheeldon, Robert Fairchild, and Leanne Cope.

I'm interested in seeing the interview with Justice Stephen Breyer and the one with Ban Ki-Moon.

More and more I'm getting excited for the show. I really think he'll pull it off. I expect wit and comedy, but also thoughtful questions. I hope I won't be disappointed, but I guess I'm kind of expecting a Dick Cavett-like show, in a way. I mean, maybe a little of that, a little intellectually challenging stuff. Maybe.

• Love 2

A heads-up for any Australian viewers: Stephen's Late Show will be shown on Channel Eleven from Tuesday to Friday at around 11.30 pm AEST, starting this week.

Edited by purist