Type keyword(s) to search

Anticipation for Stephen Colbert's Late Show

• Start Topic

Well, I was just thinking that really talk show hosts are pretty much expected to work through out the year (though of course they get vacations - I remember when we had the big 2003 summer blackout in the Northeast almost all of them were away so couldn't comment on it) so probably Stephen won't mind having a break to prepare/focus.

Anyone else notice how TOTALLY DEMENTED Colbert looks in the title card at the end of that first video?

Q7xjOfk.jpg

Eeeek!  It's totally on purpose, of course, but... eeeek!

• Love 1

Highly recommend you go check out the 'official' site for the show. They currently have up a slide show of "Exclusive Temporary Office Behind-The-Scenes Gallery" where the final shot

(you can see all the photos by clicking 'Just Show Me Photos' at the top of the page).

They certainly seem to be enjoying themselves! I think I'll be stopping by regularly over the summer.

I missed the book--what is it?

It's right there if you replay the video. In fact, you can see it in the still they show before you play the video, right below the left side of the computer monitor on Colbert's desk.

I wasn't 100% bowled over by the Trump video, but there were some funny moments and at one point, Stephen quoted James Joyce's "Ulysses" -- on Bloomsday. So that was awesome!

As far as I know, this is unprecedented: we're getting a look at an upcoming late night talk show as a work in progress, as it strives to develop its comedic voice. The "Late Show" that debuts in September won't be an unknown quantity to the people who have been following along all summer. I find that very exciting.

I was watching Stephen's classic "Oops-A-Daisy Homophobe" video today because it manages to encompass both the Confederate flag and gay marriage, making it perfect for this week, even though it aired over two years ago. So unfortunate that Stephen isn't on the air to react to the news... but then he dropped this video about the Supreme Court ruling. Of course, the "Stephen" character wouldn't have been allowed to wave rainbow flags and rejoice, but his takedown of the dissenters on the Court is not too different than something that could have appeared on the "Report." These videos keep filling me with anticipation for the Late Show!!!

• Love 2

With the EPA decision and the long shadow of Citizens United, and Stephen's history of collecting donations for worthy causes, I wonder if one of his projects this fall could be raising enough money to bribe Scalia to retire. I would gladly max out my MasterCard for that.

(edited)

Geez that's a shitload of work to do just for a joke!

That said, Will Ferrell beat Stephen to this. Remember him doing actual real local news broadcasts as Ron Burgundy?

Also Conan probably did it in smaller form and heck, way back Dave Letterman might have to. I'm sure they did little segments on local programs (whereas Ferrell and Colbert both did entire programs).

And yes I just watched that whole video.  It was worth it.

Edited by Kromm

Geez that's a shitload of work to do just for a joke!

That said, Will Ferrell beat Stephen to this. Remember him doing actual real local news broadcasts as Ron Burgundy?

Also Conan probably did it in smaller form and heck, way back Dave Letterman might have to. I'm sure they did little segments on local programs (whereas Ferrell and Colbert both did entire programs).

And yes I just watched that whole video.  It was worth it.

This Washington Post article pointed out that basically this is Colbert testing out his new gig, like plays working out the kinks in small towns.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2015/07/02/when-the-late-show-premieres-are-we-getting-stephen-colbert-or-stephen-colbert/

Anyways, he got 3.5 million views. So....not bad.

• Love 1

This Washington Post article pointed out that basically this is Colbert testing out his new gig, like plays working out the kinks in small towns.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2015/07/02/when-the-late-show-premieres-are-we-getting-stephen-colbert-or-stephen-colbert/

Anyways, he got 3.5 million views. So....not bad.

Wow, it sounds like they totally don't get it.  "Testing the kinks"?  Good grief.

This was in no way Colbert doing anything that's going to resemble his real late night show.  He wasn't testing himself. Or the demographics.  Or his writers.

It was P.R. sure. But this wasn't his formula. it was a comedy experiment. Like "A Colbert Christmas Special".

Has anyone else been listening to The Late Show Podcast?  I've really been enjoying it.  He does a fake ad in the beginning of each segment that sounds almost exactly like the ads I hear on most of the NPR podcasts I listen to.  The one on June 24th was for something called "Earth Mail" where each month you receive "a hand curated box of twigs, loam, and lumps of dirt".  It ended with "Earth Mail, soil yourself."  

He's been talking with his writers and producers about getting the show ready.   Most of the people are ones he's been working with for years on The Colbert Report and on other past shows.   A few are new.   He talked about all the work they're doing renovating the studio, and about how he was trying to help them, and the workers had to tell him to go away.   

• Love 2

He calls himself COL-BERT in that video!

He did that all the time on the Report, as well, when he was upset or frightened. "Snap out of it, Colbert!" That was the only time he ever used that pronunciation.

• Love 1

Today on the NPR show "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me," they said goodbye to their producer and said she will be working for Colbert.  Not clear in what capacity.  When I hear the name again, I'll add it. 

• Love 1

Today on the NPR show "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me," they said goodbye to their producer and said she will be working for Colbert.  Not clear in what capacity.  When I hear the name again, I'll add it. 

Is it Emily Ecton who is leaving?

Is it Emily Ecton who is leaving?

No, it is Eva [Wolchover?, I think, is her last name].  But the host definitely said "Eva".  That will be a change, from radio to visual, and also from weekly to daily shows.  I do not know what kind of position she will have in the Colbert staff. 

No, it is Eva [Wolchover?, I think, is her last name].  But the host definitely said "Eva".  That will be a change, from radio to visual, and also from weekly to daily shows.  I do not know what kind of position she will have in the Colbert staff. 

Ah okay, I will keep an eye out.

They must be finalising additional staff as I just came across this Tweet:

Sarah Weeks @AuthorWeeks

My husband, Jim Fyfe starts his new job as a segment producer on the Stephen Colbert show today. #proud #excited#yay!

“That's awesome. Hey, how's the new show going to work without the character? Anyway my name's Randall the centaur and I'm supposed to guard the entrance to this world. How did you get here?”

Heh.  Even in a fantasy world people ask, eh?

• Love 2

Good lord. That's a Galactus hat. How many people are even going to realize what a super-nerd that makes Stephen?

And this never got posted here (last week):

• Love 2

Ah okay, I will keep an eye out.

They must be finalising additional staff as I just came across this Tweet:

Sarah Weeks @AuthorWeeks

My husband, Jim Fyfe starts his new job as a segment producer on the Stephen Colbert show today. #proud #excited#yay!

From what I've been able to discern, they've really assembled an outstanding production staff.  Lots of names that are under the radar but well respected in the business of funny.

The first guest announcement should be heading out soon. Any hopes? Jon Stewart springs to my mind. David Letterman too, but that might be a long shot.

The new 'Late Show' marquee is currently being installed at the Ed Sullivan Theater.

Guess that free advertising for the pizza place is gone now then!

About the new one for the show? Let me be honest. I hate it.

The colors don't work for me, and it doesn't feature Stephen's name in the logo at ALL.  I realize there's a part of America who have no familiarity with him, and maybe they're assuming the name might not resonate with everyone,but...  

EDIT: Okay, I just noticed the "WITH" is still there inside the "O". That implies the name HAS to be part of the logo, but for some reason didn't get put up at the same time.  Odd.  Are they perhaps putting the name on via some other technique rather than simply having it printed?

Heh. One blogger already noted the same as me and made an "improved" version...

8615marquee2.jpg

Edited by Kromm

Here's a photo of how the marquee looks at night when it's all lit up, much better in my opinion. I also find the lack of a name very strange on the front panel very strange, especially when his name is on the side panel. I suspect there's a lower portion with the name that they just haven't installed yet. If not, then they should at least get rid of the "with."

CLy0dnQUcAAmpTh.jpg

Edited by alynch