Type keyword(s) to search

Empire in the Media: Read It In Billboard

Trini
Message added by Princess Sparkle

Remember: Keep your thoughts on the Jussie Smollett situation on his situation only - not Chicago politics, not policing in general, not politics in general, not the state of the country in general, not OJ, not Michael Avenetti, not anyone except Jussie Smollett. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Dee said:

What show isn't slipping in the ratings? Every show on mainstream television is dropping sharply these days.

A couple of comedies on CBS and This Is Us (which has dropped heavily from last season).

Empire is still a huge hit, still does strong numbers in a peak tv era and boasts one of the few predominately Black casts on mainstream television.

The advent of online content preceded empires premiere.  To me, this means that their ratings should not slip because of online content because that has always been a part of their world.

These current ratings slip aren't unexpected or even alarming for a show that has been on the air so long.  It's a natural part of the life cycle of any popular show.  It's all the rage, people are crazy about it and then more and more people fall off and it's hard to keep everything fresh and exciting.  

If the show was facing just a ratings decline or was the jauggernaut it used to be and the JS scandal came to light I think that may be a different calculus.  

If it was season 2 when empire was all anyone in the world was talking about and the js scandal came out, yeah just replace him, kill him off and keep it moving.

But with there already being a ratings decline AND there is a very public and awful scandal involving like one of the main actors?  That seems like a good time to think up a graceful way out.  Particularly since, as you pointed out, people have so many other viewing options.  Like why would I bend over backwards trying not to be distracted by the JS drama, when I can turn on Power, GOT, Westworld, Luther or any other number of shows.

Also, it might be nice for the actors to get out before you only see them and think Hakeem! Andre! Porsha!  Taraji has done a great job of finding other projects and Terrance Howard had an amazing career before empire, but the other cast members haven't had as much exposure to other roles beside Gabby s.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Dee said:

What show isn't slipping in the ratings? Every show on mainstream television is dropping sharply these days.

A couple of comedies on CBS and This Is Us (which has dropped heavily from last season).

Empire is still a huge hit, still does strong numbers in a peak tv era and boasts one of the few predominately Black casts on mainstream television.

On 3/13/2019 at 1:53 PM, Dee said:

All the articles written about Empire's supposed ratings "decline" are hilarious. Especially in this era when every show (especially long-running shows) are experiencing sharp ratings declines.

After 5 years, Empire remains the second biggest show on its network, in the Top 50 in overall ratings, top 10 (non-sports shows) in all desired demographics & regularly wins its timeslot nearly every week.

Other hit "watercooler" shows like How To Get Away With Murder, Scandal, Grey's Anatomy & Desperate Housewives experienced similar, (if not worse) "declines" but of course they get a pass. Wonder why......

I don’t understand, one minute it’s not in decline and now it’s not a big deal? 

Since when does being a "watercooler show" mean everything?

Grey's Anatomy, ER, Desperate Housewives, Two & A Half Men, Shameless, The Walking Dead, Supernatural, Modern Family, The Good Wife, Scandal, Person Of Interest, etc? All watercooler shows, all remained on television long after their ratings began to decline.

Even 'mainstream' television's current champ, 'This Is Us' has gone from averaging low 3's to low 2's in the desired demo, over the course of a single season.

Empire still has plenty of life in it, especially for a FOX show, despite what a certain subset of fans would like to believe.

4 hours ago, Dee said:

Since when does being a "watercooler show" mean everything?

Grey's Anatomy, ER, Desperate Housewives, Two & A Half Men, Shameless, The Walking Dead, Supernatural, Modern Family, The Good Wife, Scandal, Person Of Interest, etc? All watercooler shows, all remained on television long after their ratings began to decline.

Even 'mainstream' television's current champ, 'This Is Us' has gone from averaging low 3's to low 2's in the desired demo, over the course of a single season.

Empire still has plenty of life in it, especially for a FOX show, despite what a certain subset of fans would like to believe.

I don't think it's a zero sum game.  Watercooler shows can survive scandal as big as this because they are jauggernauts.  

But when you're not a jauggernaut and ratings are slipping AND you have a huge scandal AND there are tons and tons of competing content, it's just going to be so much harder.

I can't think of a recent show in the same position that faced such a situation.  The only recent one that might be kinda comprable is the Roseanne reboot, but that show was like brand new, so even as a reboot I don't think the situations are comprable.

Does the show have a lot of life left?  I don't know, it seems like a pretty tenuous position.  Maybe the kerfuffle dies down and they are able to interject a new character or bring in a new actor (?).  And that might even work if jussie smollett were to go quietly into that good night, but all signs point to him wanting to drag everything out.  

I feel fairly certain that if Sterling k. Brown were involved in similar shenanigans it would be a problem.  

Is 2.5 men still on?  I don't like the show, but it seems like after Charlie Sheen left amidst a scandal, the show took a dive and then they tried to bring in another actor and it didnt work.  And to me, that isnt how anyone would want a powerhouse series to end, basically pushed off the air because it overstayed it's welcome.  

I'm not saying to end it tomorrow, but start thinking up a graceful exit so Lee Daniels can end the show on his own terms.  

• Love 1

It's the second biggest show on its network & the only drama on mainstream television featuring a predominately African American cast.

It's not going anywhere.

5 hours ago, Dee said:

It's the second biggest show on its network & the only drama on mainstream television featuring a predominately African American cast.

It's not going anywhere.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.  But sticking around and being basically forced off the air isn't really a win to me, for any show. 

This is part of the reason why so many shows now almost come with an end date built in.  People still love Seinfeld, in part, because it left before the lights came on at the club.  The show made a graceful exit.

I love that the show features an all AA cast, but I watch television to be entertained, not make a political statement.  

And shows like Insecure, Atlanta, Power, and Underground feature nearly all black casts. 

There is more to the calculus than just looking at raw numbers.  The Roseanne reboot was hugely popular, maybe somewhere near jauggernaut status when Roseanne showed her ass online and was kicked off the show.  There was a lot of backlash, and ostensibly the show would have enjoyed higher ratings than it currently does.  And bear in mind, as bad as it was, what she did was not criminal or a situation that needed to be dragged out in the courts.

Last Man Standing was cancelled from ABC and that show was pretty popular when it was cancelled.  But, it wasn't a jauggernaut or a water cooler show and it had been on for a while, so that likely played into the decision to cancel it.  Even though the show was fairly popular.

Edited by RealReality10

Underground has been thoroughly canceled.

Insecure & Atlanta aren't dramas & both air on cable.

Power also airs on cable & regularly boasts a much more mixed cast.

Empire is peerless in that regard.

24 minutes ago, Dee said:

Underground has been thoroughly canceled.

Insecure & Atlanta aren't dramas & both air on cable.

Power also airs on cable & regularly boasts a much more mixed cast.

Empire is peerless in that regard.

I think of insecure as a dramady.  But I rarely think any show is pure drama.  

Powers cast is primarily black, as I understand it.

Airing on network TV is even more of death knell for empire bc while the ratings matter, the network relies on advertising dollars.  Normally advertising dollars follow ratings, but with a show with a massive scandal?  That may not be something advertisers want to give their money to.

Ultimately, IMO, every show is peerless in one way or another.

Insecure is officially labeled as a comedy.

Power's cast is a mix of Black & Latino actors.

That said, Empire is currently airing the rest of Season 5 and will more than likely be renewed for Season 6.

4 hours ago, Dee said:

Insecure is officially labeled as a comedy.

Power's cast is a mix of Black & Latino actors.

That said, Empire is currently airing the rest of Season 5 and will more than likely be renewed for Season 6.

Just because something is labelled as a particular type.of show means that it's the one way it can be perceived, and considering the issues on the show I would call it a dramedy for sure.

I guess, as I said, every show is unique in it's own special way if one we're really to drill down.  

It will be interesting to see if empire is renewed or not.  Ratings are nice, and the analytics are great.  But ratings don't bring networks money, advertising revenue does.  Generally ratings give a company a good idea of where their money is best spent because it tells them that a number of people who have think positively about a show will see their advertisements.  However, companies with the money to advertise on network television normally have a brand reputation and brand image to worry about.  

For them, the calculus is whether it's worth it to support a show that is associated with a lead who did something like this?  Is it worth the potential loss of brand reputation to associate your company with a show that had a lead who faked a hate crime and then lied about it on national TV and now wants to drag it out and make it ugly?  Particularly when the ratings for that show aren't particularly at jauggernaut status anymore?  

Since network television depends so much.on advertiser dollars, ratings are a factor, but they cannot be the only factor.  Part of the reason, I imagine that Roseanne was pulled from the reboot and last Man standing was cancelled despite it's popularity.  

So, maybe advertisers decide that their brand image won't be tarnished with continued support.  I can't say, but given the general revile of JSs actions, it seems unlikely that advertisers would want to be associated with the show, particularly since it will be brought up that JS was a lead actor in the show at every reporting on every court appearance.  

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, RealReality10 said:

So, maybe advertisers decide that their brand image won't be tarnished with continued support.  I can't say, but given the general revile of JSs actions, it seems unlikely that advertisers would want to be associated with the show, particularly since it will be brought up that JS was a lead actor in the show at every reporting on every court appearance.  

The network could say that they will renew the show only if Jussie Smollett is removed from the show period. Jamal has been removed from the last 2 episodes of the season.  I have no idea if he had a multiyear contract with the show. In any event, I think that the show will break the contract and pay him to go away.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

The network could say that they will renew the show only if Jussie Smollett is removed from the show period. Jamal has been removed from the last 2 episodes of the season.  I have no idea if he had a multiyear contract with the show. In any event, I think that the show will break the contract and pay him to go away.  

I think the problem there is that every time JS goes into court and drags up the whole ugly episode, he, by association implicates the show, even if he isn't on it.

They can pay him not to be back on the show, but they probably can't pay him to not go into court and insist that he is somehow the victim here, or trying to indict the Chicago police, or whatever else.  It might be a different story if he just took a plea deal, that way the story dies down and goes away....but if he wants to fight it becomes a story every time he is in court.

Overall, I think that while ratings play a role and are a factor, I think the calculations are much more complex than that.  

I think the show would do well to go with your plan.  I'm just not sure it will be enough, particularly if cast members attempt to publicly defend him.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

PLOT TWIST!  All of the charges against Jussie has been dropped.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/all-charges-against-empire-actor-jussie-smollett-dropped-n987446

I admit, I did not see this coming at all.  I'm very curious to find out how that happened.

“We're told the State's Attorney, Kim Foxx, told Chicago police she was dropping the case because Jussie would have only gotten community service if convicted and she said he has already performed community service so there is no point in prosecuting him. We could not find any record of Smollett doing community service.

We're told Chicago police are "furious" and feel something untoward is going on with Kim Foxx.”

Thats from the TMZ article, I have a feeling this isn’t done just yet.  

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Dee said:

....What was that about a rush to judgement again? LMAO.

LMAO Still no proof it even happened, but given how many cameras Chicago has around I guess the police targeted him?

4 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I don't see it as a rush to judgement, just because the focus is on Kim Foxx.  Jussie Smollett dodged a bullet, but that doesn't mean that he's innocent IMO. 

Gotta be nice to have already been busted by police for lying about your identity after being arrested for a DUI and now despite absolutely no evidence anyone ever went after you, you walk with no charges? Hmmm actor privilege? 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

So what is their justification for dropping the charges? Like what is their official version of what happened and who attacked him?

TMZ stated this: “

We're told the State's Attorney, Kim Foxx, told Chicago police she was dropping the case because Jussie would have only gotten community service if convicted and she said he has already performed community service so there is no point in prosecuting him. We could not find any record of Smollett doing community service.

We're told Chicago police are "furious" and feel something untoward is going on with Kim Foxx.”

As I linked earlier the FOP wants a federal investigation into Foxx because none of this makes sense. With all the cameras around no one seemed to record a thing, there’s literally no evidence showing the attack even happened the way it did. 

8 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

So if he's "innocent" then why did he do "community service" and forfeit bond?

Because he’s not, no evidence, no video, no anything. His story changed every time he told it, but despite all the police work Foxx wanted charges dropped. The fact the FOP wants this situation federally investigated is telling. After all the crap the police got after the 2017 torture case, the police don’t want to be thrown under the bus again. Jussie didn’t learn his lesson from lying to police.

• Love 5

Good Lord.  Is this a Kansas City Shuffle?

I don't think Jussie is innocent, his story changed to many times for me to believe him.  When I read the headline I thought that maybe CPD fumbled the case somehow.

I have a feeling this is far from over and if I were Jussie, I would make sure I had no occasion to go to Chicago for some time.  Yikes. 

I don't know a thing about SA Fox but I hope she has all her I's dotted and T's crossed. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, thebigboot said:

TMZ stated this: “

We're told the State's Attorney, Kim Foxx, told Chicago police she was dropping the case because Jussie would have only gotten community service if convicted and she said he has already performed community service so there is no point in prosecuting him. We could not find any record of Smollett doing community service.

As I linked earlier the FOP wants a federal investigation into Foxx because none of this makes sense. With all the cameras around no one seemed to record a thing, there’s literally no evidence showing the attack even happened the way it did. 

That sounds like a total BS reason. First of all how does she know what the sentence would be. Second of all what about the additional stigma of having a publicized conviction and a criminal record, and the other limitations with being a felon? Something sketchy happened.

• Love 7

Wow, just wow.  So if you do "community service" while you wait for trial, they just drop the whole thing?  Somehow I doubt other people in Chicago get the same deal.  This is so rotten, I can't even wrap my head around it.

There are two options here:

Either JS made the whole thing up, in which case, he wasted a crap-ton of CPD time and money.  From that CBSlocal link:  "During the investigation into the alleged hate crime attack, 24 detectives were removed from regular cases. Around 1,000 hours were dedicated to the investigation, not including overtime not included. In addition, police spent dozens of hours of examining surveillance video from 55 city pod cams and private cameras. Authorities also executed 50 search warrants and subpoenas for phone, social media and financial records."

Or JS was really attacked, in which case, they should still be investigating that, no?  The fact that they aren't says it all.

This is NOT a victimless crime.  While JS was wasting the CPD's time and resources with this nonsense, REAL victims' needs were pushed aside.

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Love 11

Well that was fired up Presser given by the Chicago Mayor and the Police Chief.  It looks like there is going to be a BRUTAL Game of Thrones between the Mayors Office, The Chief of Police's Office and the Chicago States Attorney's Office.

If I were Lori Loughlin or Felicity Huffman I would be finding out who Smollet's Attorney's are and how I can get into bed with them.

Credit where it's due, I thought Jussie was finished.  This whole thing has been wild.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

Well that was fired up Presser given by the Chicago Mayor and the Police Chief.  It looks like there is going to be a BRUTAL Game of Thrones between the Mayors Office, The Chief of Police's Office and the Chicago States Attorney's Office.

If I were Lori Loughlin or Felicity Huffman I would be finding out who Smollet's Attorney's are and how I can get into bed with them.

Credit where it's due, I thought Jussie was finished.  This whole thing has been wild.

The justice system is wild.  You win some and you lose some.. There are other cases in the media that have enraged a group of people who did not get what they wanted and brought joy to others who felt their side was vindicated.  

Edited by Apprentice79
1 hour ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Or JS was really attacked, in which case, they should still be investigating that, no?  The fact that they aren't says it all.

Well if they believe they caught the culprit in Jussie why would they continue to waste resources on investigating? 

What will be interesting is if Jussie will continue to demand justice for himself, i.e. that his attackers be caught. If we don't hear another peep out of him about catching his attackers that will speak volumes to some. 

• Love 3

What is funny is that Mayor Rahm Emanuel lashed out about this decision. This is the same man that approved one or more multi-millionaire dollar settlements due to his police department’s corruption, including shooting unarmed suspects 16 times.  Jussie is not innocent, but, I am getting a perverse pleasure seeing the snowflakes online who were so sure that Jussie was going to be raped and killed in prison, lose their minds. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Dee said:

Jussie is innocent. Life is good.

And so is OJ?  I mean come on now.  Trying to say that someone is innocent because they haven't been found guilty seems like a bit of stretch and maybe a little bit naive?

• Love 6

Rahm condemns state attorneys office

He doesn’t seem to happy about the decision to drop charges. This is going to get ugly.

Yep. In our current climate.  Sometimes I feel like people are one step away from trying to enact a Bastille Day.  Letting the influential and financially endowed slide by because of "previous community service performed" might be viewed as unacceptable in some quarters.

Ms. Foxx has made herself a large number of Political Enemies today.

What is funny is that Mayor Rahm Emanuel lashed out about this decision. This is the same man that approved one or more multi-millionaire dollar settlements due to his police department’s corruption, including shooting unarmed suspects 16 times? Jussie is not innocent, but, I am getting a perverse pleasure seeing the snowflakes online who were so sure that Jussie was going to be raped and killed in prison, lose their minds. 

Ugh. I didn't know that.  The whole thing is a complete circus.  There is going to be so much infighting from this mess it's not even funny.  As for the obscene online trolls, sigh, I exhibit no surprise.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

Yep. In our current climate.  Sometimes I feel like people are one step away from trying to enact a Bastille Day.  Letting the influential and financially endowed slide by because of "previous community service performed" might be viewed as unacceptable in some quarters.

Ms. Foxx has made herself a large number of Political Enemies today.

Ugh. I didn't know that.  The whole thing is a complete circus.  There is going to be so much infighting from this mess it's not even funny.  As for the obscene online trolls, sigh, I exhibit no surprise.

Trolls have said that somebody should lynch him for real.. They have also gone after his family.. They have called him homophobic slurs, Racial slurs and Jewish slurs on account that his late father was a Russian Jew.. They are all crying foul today. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

As for Empire and JS, I think this is still a messy mess.  The record is sealed and there won't be a public forum to explain the many inconsistencies in JSs story.  The explanation that he would have only gotten community service anyways or that community service is a factor in dropping charges is bizarre, and kinda stinks.  There are too many unanswered questions IMO for him to return to normal on the show without enduring significant backlash.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, RealReality10 said:

As for Empire and JS, I think this is still a messy mess.  The record is sealed and there won't be a public forum to explain the many inconsistencies in JSs story.  The explanation that he would have only gotten community service anyways or that community service is a factor in dropping charges is bizarre, and kinda stinks.  There are too many unanswered questions IMO for him to return to normal on the show without enduring significant backlash.

I read that there was some evidence that the check Smollett wrote the brothers was for physical training and thus they couldn't tie it to the faked attack with any certainty. No doubt, there was something else fishy about the brothers.  Plus, the police overplayed their hands with their excessive charges and that press conference where they presented their evidence should have been put in front of a jury and not in front of the press. Not to mention the police were leaking like a sieve with information to the press tainting the jury pool.  The prosecution's case fell apart and they could not prosecute him and they don't want us to know why and have sealed the records..

Edited by Apprentice79
2 minutes ago, thebigboot said:

The question still remains, as heavily camera’d as Chicago is, where’s the attack and attackers?

It was obviously a hoax but, can the prosecutors prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. We don't put people in prison just because you believe something, you have to prove it. The founding fathers made it hard for the government to take away your freedom or your life.

• Love 1

That's what money, Mark Geragos, and a wildly leaking police department will get you: A deal that looks suspiciously like a plea.

I never expected or wanted him to do time, but this splashout is just gross. I'll be tuning out on his attempt to revamp his reputation (and presumably attempt to keep his job, which I imagine he now has leverage to do). My feelings haven't changed: After all the shit that got pulled here I never need to see him again.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Trolls have said that somebody should lynch him for real.. They have also gone after his family.. They have called him homophobic slurs, Racial slurs and Jewish slurs on account that his late father was a Russian Jew.. They are all crying foul today. 

Yes, if it had been some rich WASP who'd gotten off, no problemo.  But a brown person, nope, it's UNFAIR.

If it had come to trial, the whole thing would have been a circus.  People would be saying, why slam him when how many cops have gotten away with shooting and killing unarmed black people, and the city's wasting time on this nonsense?  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, jsbt said:

That's what money, Mark Geragos, and a wildly leaking police department will get you: A deal that looks suspiciously like a plea.

I never expected or wanted him to do time, but this splashout is just gross. I'll be tuning out on his attempt to revamp his reputation (and presumably attempt to keep his job, which I imagine he now has leverage to do). My feelings haven't changed: After all the shit that got pulled here I never need to see him again.

$10,000 and some unspecified community service.  That's the going rate for a clean record and a gag order on the evidence, apparently.

I totally agree with your whole post.  I never expected him to do time, but this "whitewash" (to quote the mayor) is just so gross that it has pushed me from the "what a jerk" camp into the "I hope he loses his career and this remains the thing he's known for the rest of his life" camp.

Especially considering that JS has tried to present himself in the past as some kind of spokesperson for POC and LGBTQ.  Knowing the long troubled history of those two groups in dealing with the criminal justice system, for him to use his "celebrity" to broker this kind of deal is just disgusting, IMO.

Again, quoting Mr. Emanuel: "[This case] sends a clear message that if you're in a position of influence and power you'll be treated one way and if you're not you'll be treated another way."

Adding to make it clear - I haven't seen any of that trolling (maybe because I don't do twitter) - but threatening him or his family with physical violence is absolutely reprehensible.

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Yes, if it had been some rich WASP who'd gotten off, no problemo.  But a brown person, nope, it's UNFAIR.

If it had come to trial, the whole thing would have been a circus.  People would be saying, why slam him when how many cops have gotten away with shooting and killing unarmed black people, and the city's wasting time on this nonsense?  

Please, he already got off Scott free after lying to police about his identity during his DUI arrest. Don’t remember much outrage over that. Probably thought, I got away with it once I can do it again!

Edited by thebigboot
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, RealReality10 said:

And so is OJ?  I mean come on now.  Trying to say that someone is innocent because they haven't been found guilty seems like a bit of stretch and maybe a little bit naive?

Huh?  Didn't OJ kill two people....allegedly of course?

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

$10,000 and some unspecified community service.  That's the going rate for a clean record and a gag order on the evidence, apparently.

Seems like it may be this:

The worst part about this case is how it keeps getting funneled into a much more draconian political divide on social media. A certain segment of the electorate, which personally disgusts me even more than this crime could, is baying for Jussie's blood and of course I don't support that movement or think the police are a pack of incorruptible saints. And it's clear Chicago PD at least in part bungled this or got outplayed from above. But the tone and tenor of the social conversation too often becomes being for Party X or Party Y, and the actual guilt and weight of the thing gets lost. That's the kind of fog I think the authors of this mess originally intended to help garner support for Jussie, and that's what they've got. But the truth is I went from someone who wholeheartedly supported him and believed his story completely to feeling like he makes my skin crawl. That hasn't changed, and no amount of political jockeying can change that. And all we're left with is a story that people will lean on to discredit hate crime legislation and hate crime victims and endanger more people like him, or me, or you for years to come. But hey, at least the Empire writers room has a winky face emoji today.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

• Love 4